Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MFJ1974 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm posting this for everybody who is hesitant to use an IM, DON'T BE!

A little background. Plan B is for you, for your healing and is godsent! Without it, it is so much harder to come to a good place for yourself and your children.

I have a fairly intense case, I'm applying for international relocation. I went into plan B with the most wonderful IM. The best I could wish for. Of course WH balked at the use of an IM and got the courts involved. Because of the difficulty of my case, my atty strongly recommended that I stop using the IM. As relocation, and especially international relocation is difficult, I chose to stop using my IM. The road to healing has been much more difficult, but thanks to the support of many here, I am doing exceptionally well, so THANK YOU!

We are now going through custody evaluations and I had an interesting conversation with the evaluator. He had gone through a nasty divorce many years ago, and he told me that he had friends read all communications from his ex and tell him whether there was anything he needed to respond to. He almost never read his ex's communications and said it was a great path to healing for him. They also helped him take the sting out of his responses.

Now, not all evaluators go through nasty divorces themselves, so not all understand the importance of it. So it is important you take the initiative to explain the why's.

When there are children involved communication between parents is crucial, so make sure you have a good IM. Being there for the children as an excellent parent is crucial as well, therefore you need to heal yourself. Being continuously assaulted by an ex or wayward, is interfering with being a good parent and helping your children going through the divorce. They need at least 1 sane parent.

To show that your flow of communication is not hampered by an IM, the IM should keep records of all emails sent, preferable have a 'read-receipt' through Outlook, or other programs. There are programs specifically for legal professionals that store all information with regards to emails sent and read with date and time stamp specifically for use in legal cases.

If you use a non-MB IM, I suggest your IM reads the topics here about being an IM, but also to read the book by Billy Eddy called 'B.I.F.F.'. This book specifically addresses communicating with high conflict people (as all waywards are). His approach is

B Brief, no more then a few paragraphs
I Informative, address the issues and actions
F Friendly
F Firm

So, use the IM, it truly is for your benefit. Prepare information for legal professionals why it is in the best interest of your children, to have a healthy parent to help them get through rough times, but most of all, document all communications to show it did not hamper effective parenting.

Me BW (37)
WH (37)
DD1 6 yrs DD2 2 yr

A man who abandons his wife and children because of his infidelity is no price. I can do better then that, I deserve better then that.

The difficulties and struggles of today are but the price we must pay for the accomplishments and victories of tomorrow

Men must be honest with themselves before they can be honest with others. A man who is not honest with himself presents a hopeless case
B
B
Thanks MFJ.

I hope posters will heed your excellent advice.?

You should tack this onto the IM training thread.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
hurray

M
M
Great advice, MF! Attorneys do not like IMs because they worry about it interfering in their goal, the easiest, amicable divorce possible. They are not concerned with your mental health.. In most cases, where a BS has insisted the attorney make it work, the attorney makes it work! The moral of the story is don't sacrifice your peace of mind!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

P
P
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Great advice, MF! Attorneys do not like IMs because they worry about it interfering in their goal, the easiest, amicable divorce possible. They are not concerned with your mental health.. In most cases, where a BS has insisted the attorney make it work, the attorney makes it work! The moral of the story is don't sacrifice your peace of mind!

Guard your serenity, don't serve it to others on a silver platter.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,084 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation