Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I have been married for 14 years. My wife is my best friend. We have been through everything together some of the worst and best times of my life. We have a relationship like no other at least I thought. I have always been a jealous person all my life. In the begining of our relationship I was extremely jealous and lacking trust. Over the last few years I let down my guard and trusted my wife whole heartedly. Two weeks ago my wife thought she lost her phone the night before vacation. Not wanting to start our vacation off terrible I was looking crazy for her phone anything I could do to find it. I went on our online phone records to see if maybe somebody found it and called any numbers. I came across a weird number several times on the bill. I looked into the number and seen it belonged to a man we knew from our sons boyscout troop. My son has been out of the scouts for years. I didn't want to raise any problems before vacation. We found her phone. The next day on vacation my wife was sleeping and her phone sat along side of me this number still burned in my brain I went through her contact list not finding a match. When the phone went off and it was this number I couldn't help but text it back as it was her. As my heart pounded in my chest as the text back sank right to my stomach. Not wanting to ruin our family vacation I would hold off until it was over to say something. Well I couldn't wait. When she woke up and asked me where her phone was I threw it to her on the bed. She knew something was wrong and asked me. I told her I knew what was going on. At first she tried to deny it but I knew. She then talked about it to me telling me it was going on for 8 years. My heart is broken part of me has since died. I can't stop thinking about it! It has overtaken my life. I don't know what to do. She has told me all the details and has said it is over and was a huge mistake and wants to rebuild our life. HOW????? My life is destroyed and this man gets to sail off in the sunset like nothing happened living life normal while I am picking up the pieces of my broken heart! Some of the details that were given to me will never leave my head. How long will the hurt last and is there a chance at rebuilding??????

A
A
Scooterdad-

Nobody "gets over" an affair of 8 years that was discovered 2 weeks ago. Please don't feel the need to force yourself to 'get over this' right now, you have no reason to do so.

#1- Get a copy of Surviving an Affair

#2- Do not believe a word she says. Nobody is 'over' an affair of 8 YEARS in 2 weeks when suddenly discovered. She is certainly lying to you about that.

You know who this man is. You need to find out the truth. You will need to speak with his wife (I assume he is married - if she says he is not, do not believe her, track him down and find him).

Your "extreme jealousy" -> are you saying this now because you are backtracking on trying to justify why this happened? I would suspect, after 8 years of DECIET, that you probably had red flags smacking you in the face that you are now trying to write off as jealousy

L
L
Expose the affair far and wide! It showcases the 'secret'.

BW Me, 42
WH Him, 45
Affair began in 10/11
Married 10 years
Together 12 years
1 step-daughter, age 16
D-day 6/1/12: WH had affair w/ woman who sings in a blues band/he plays blues guitar
7/2/12 he broke promise of NC with OW & moved out
7/3/12 he expressed desire to recover
7/16/12 Things really smoothed out
G
G
Welcome to MarriageBuilders, Scooter.

Sorry you have occasion to be here, but it's the best pace you could be for your situation.

First, is this other guy married?

G
G
If she is serious about wanting to rebuild, then there are some things she will & must agree to do.

First & foremost among them will be implementing a strict policy of 'No Contact, for Life" with this other man. It will include a "no contact" letter that you agree on & approve & send, registered mail, according to text-models that you can find on this site. It will include changing all of the cellphone numbers and e-mail addresses by which she used to communicate with him. I am sorry to say that if he is extremely local, it may even include moving.

You may have levers here. He may be married. If he is still involved in scouting, you are in very good position to put a very public end to that, as such organizations typically don't want the fuss of having among their leaders people who prey on the spouses of their members.

However, as alis has pointed out, wayward spouses go through a period of withdrawal, and after an 8-year affair, the withdrawal is likely to be extreme. Don't trust a word that she says; gauge her by her actions and her willingness to take steps to sever the affair from her life.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
T
T
I'm so sorry that this has happened to you, but you have found a wonderful place here with Marriage Builders. Please go to the Notable Posts folder and look at the folder called "For Newly Betrayed Spouses." there you will learn the steps you need to take. If you follow the steps, you will have the best chance of getting your marriage repaired.

I also recommend using the Coaching Center and working directly with Steve Harley. He has really helped us out!

Best luck,
TinT

TinT--Trouble in Texas

Me: 40
Husband: 38
Married for 17 years
Together for 20 years
DD15
DS13
DS4

H's EA discovered 1/1/12
Caller on radioshow 5/8/12
Been in counseling with SHarley since 5/17/12
On the road to recover my marriage
G
G
Scooterdad,

Sorry to hear of this horror.

man we knew from our sons boyscout troop.

Ok this guy should not be a boy scout leader, if he is one, expose to the boyscout leadership. There is something especially revolting about parents who use kids organizations to find hook ups.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 07/09/12 06:43 PM.
P
P
Originally Posted by scooterdad
I How long will the hurt last and is there a chance at rebuilding??????

scooterdad. I'm sorry you find yourself having to deal with this. The recovery time is measured in years and your WW will have to EARN back your trust. It can be done and is well worth it to have your family together and your old wife back.

The MB road to recovery is pretty straight forward and will give you the best shot at recovery when all the steps are followed.

Originally Posted by alis
Scooterdad-

Nobody "gets over" an affair of 8 years that was discovered 2 weeks ago.

I agree with this 100%. I suspect that the affair has just moved underground and your WW will be more smart to make sure that you don't find continued contact.

Before you expose this ( which is a necessary step in killing the affair) you need to install spyware on her phone, keylogger on the computer and a var/gps in WW car. This will give you valuable info after you expose because you can see their actions once the truth comes out. It will also allow you to "verify" no contact going forward.

Don't believe anything your WW says. Trust only what you can personally verify. Waywards lie...but you have already found that out.

You have found a safe place here. Don't tell your WW about it.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

G
G
Scooterdad,

it was going on for 8 years.

This is very difficult, I don�t know what can compensate for the lost time and wasted years. When my W told me she never felt the same about me after OM2 I felt like I had to be married for another 20 years to make up for the 20 years I lost. She was not in an active affair for those years, but that such a large part of my married life was tainted was painful.

She has told me all the details and has said it is over and was a huge mistake and wants to rebuild our life. HOW?????

It�s not a mistake, a mistake is spilling coffee, she should not be using minimizing language of any kind with you it is cruel. Ultimately you need WW to purge ALL the details you don�t want trickle truth dragged out over many many years. It�s like breaking a leg, it�s painful to set it but necessary.

My life is destroyed and this man gets to sail off in the sunset like nothing happened living life normal while I am picking up the pieces of my broken heart!

No he does not, in order to protect your family OM has to be exposed to his workplace, church, HIS WIFE, his family, and anyone who is of any importance to him. OM was assaulting your family for all those years. He cannot be left as a threat to your family able to send an email to your WW whenever he wants.

You may need to get a DNA test for your children.

God Bless
Gamma

N
N
SD, I can't type much right now, but there are practices, principles and programs on this site, and espoused by the peer-counselors, that will give you the best opportunity to recover from this awful betrayal.

M
M
SD, I'm sorry you have to find yourself here, but you will get plenty of help.

First, I want you to straighten up and steel yourself. You've just begun a very difficult struggle to recover your marriage, but it's worth it! I know you're devastated and want to curl up and weep. Okay, go ahead; you've got five minutes. I'll wait smile

All done? Let's get to work.

First - who is this bottom-feeder? If he's a Scouter, he's more than likely married. Find out. He'll more than likely have boys who are now Scouts, or used to be. Find out their names.

Is he a registered leader in the troop or just a parent? Do you know the name of the Scout troop's District Executive? Do you know the name of the Council's Senior Executive?

We have tools on this site to help you kill this affair. Stay with us and we'll help you.

Don't say anything to your WW about this site right now. That may come later.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 07/09/12 10:39 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
Originally Posted by MikeStillSmiling
[quote=scooterdad] She has told me all the details and has said it is over and was a huge mistake and wants to rebuild our life. HOW????? My life is destroyed and this man gets to sail off in the sunset like nothing happened living life normal while I am picking up the pieces of my broken heart! Some of the details that were given to me will never leave my head. How long will the hurt last and is there a chance at rebuilding??????

My wife was in a long term affair as well and I'm here to tell you that you get thru this only if you follow the plan as it will be suggested to you. You cannot deviate from any of the steps.

Having a wife who s remorseful is a big thing. Not every guy is as lucky.

About the other guy, part of the procedure is you will be telling his wife TODAY about the affair and ride into the sunset is over. But this is not about him. He should die a fiery death for his part in this.

This is about you and your wife and how to create an affair-proof marriage. This includes all the strategies to protect you, to compensate you for your pain, and to develop a even closer relationship with your wife.

It may seem impossible after all that you learned about what she is capable of but I can attest it can be done. Ask questions, come here to vent, and start to read the materials on this site and order the book Surviving an Affair available here.

Remember this truism, a remorseful wife is about as good as it gets early on in is thing.
Originally Posted by mikestillsmiling

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for all the encouragement we have taken steps to move foward. The other person was contacted and told to stay away and never contact her again. His number was blocked from the cell and home phones. His wife has yet to be contacted for the simple fact his children goto school with our son and we don't want to make anything harder on our sons school life. Somebody had mentioned dna test we only have 1 child and he is way older then the affair. This man is no longer in scouts as his kids are older. Its hard to trust her as much as I try. She has been very regretful and has told me numerous times how sorry she is she had no idea I loved her this much. I can't get it out of my head for longer then 5 hours. I keep hearing the conversation I had with this guy and how she told me when I told her I knew what was going on. It plays over and over in my head it consumes my life.

A
A
Scooterdad you CANNOT keep this secret from his wife! This poor woman must be informed, to withhold it from her will be as cruel as it was to you, except at least you've had the *choice* to choose whether or not to recover your marriage.

You can't listen to your wife and trust her right now! She has lied to you for EIGHT YEARS, how on earth can her words have any trust??

You need to read Surviving an Affair the book, immediately. You cannot sweep this under the rug as she is trying to do.

T
T
If your child and the other man's child go to the same school, then you must live very close to the OM. There will be many school functions that he will be at along with your wife. This means that no contact for life will be violated repeatedly and you will be reminded of the affair over and over again.

Dr. Harley recommends moving to get away from the affair partner. This means your son will go to a new school so it won't matter. You MUST tell this poor woman that her life is a lie and Her husband is committing adultery! I would also expose to his parents, the school admin, and all those who are in contact with your family and his to ask for their help in persuading him to end the affair as well as to warn their husbands that this man is a risk to their families too.

You can find all this information in the "Notable Posts" folder under "For Newly Betrayed Spouses"

TinT--Trouble in Texas

Me: 40
Husband: 38
Married for 17 years
Together for 20 years
DD15
DS13
DS4

H's EA discovered 1/1/12
Caller on radioshow 5/8/12
Been in counseling with SHarley since 5/17/12
On the road to recover my marriage
P
P
His wife has yet to be contacted for the simple fact his children goto school with our son and we don't want to make anything harder on our sons school life.

scooterdad. I know you are confused and hurting right now...but you are kidding about not telling OM betrayed wife...right?

Not telling her would just be thoughtless and cruel. She deserves to know the truth about her life...just as you do.

You're kidding right?

Last edited by pokerface; 07/10/12 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

G
G
Scooterdad,

The other person was contacted and told to stay away and never contact her again.

This was an EIGHT year affair, this is a serious addiction, please understand that an affair is an addiction not unlike alcoholism, you can't cure it just by saying don't do that anymore. And just as an alcoholic can never go into a bar your WW can never see OM, or his kids, or etc ever again.

His wife has yet to be contacted for the simple fact his children goto school with our son and we don't want to make anything harder on our sons school life.

Your son likely already saw the affair going on, in 8 years I'm sure your WW got careless. In my experience children always know something is going on and often some horrible detail. As when my W, at age 5 or so, saw her father with some woman, her father then tried to bribe her.

You or the OM will have to move there is no way you can continue to live in an area so polluted with triggers and bad memories. How close does the OM live to you.

The OMW absolutely needs to be told she is your potential ally in this and needs to watch OM like a hawk for you and for her own family.

I can't get it out of my head for longer then 5 hours.

Very surprised you can last that long.

God Bless
Gamma

Last edited by Gamma; 07/10/12 07:21 PM.
G
G
... His wife has yet to be contacted for the simple fact his children goto school with our son and we don't want to make anything harder on our sons school life. ... I keep hearing the conversation I had with this guy and how she told me when I told her I knew what was going on. It plays over and over in my head it consumes my life.
Scooterdad, since you seem to be having a hard time accepting very good advice from all of these betrayed spouses who've been exactly in your shoes, can I ask you to indulge a comment from a former wayward spouse (as well as Other Man) who has had the good fortune to be able to save his marriage thanks to the advice in the book "Surviving An Affair" supplemented by a lot of MB veterans who knew better than I did what I was going through?

Questions for you (please answer):

--Do you think it will not be tremendously disruptive of your son's school life (and life in general) if you & your wife fail to save your marriage? Yes or no?

--Which is more likely to contribute to quieting the questions in your head: Knowing that the Other Man's wife is in-the-loop and able to keep the closest possible set of eyes on him? Or allowing him to feel that he has a measure of "cover"?

--Which is more likely to contribute to quieting the questions in your head: The Other Man's knowing for certain that your wife = way more trouble than she's worth to him, or his thinking that he might be able to continue messing with your wife's mind on the sly with no risk of a hassle with his own wife?

--Which is more likely to contribute to quieting the questions in your head: The Other Man's knowing that any contact he has with your wife is likely to cost him, in a divorce, most or all of what he once held dear, or his thinking that his affair with your wife could continue to be a relatively low-cost affair?

I had become fully wayward, despite having the best wife on the planet. I wasn't without moral grounding, mind you. I knew it was wrong, knew it was against everything I'd been taught since I'd been a small child & against everything I'd professed myself since I became a grown man. Yet I was hooked. I tried to break it off before it went physical, but OW resumed contact -- and because it was still a secret, I had reason to fool myself into following my selfish infatuation where it went. What provided the stroke that broke the affair wasn't my willpower, but the fact that the OW's husband found out! That was the ticket. I didn't think so at the time, but I now regard the day he found out as the day my whole life was saved from ruin. If your wife is lucky enough to get her head straight, she may feel the same someday. Right now, she can avoid confronting the damage she has inflicted on that other woman's marriage, because she's able -- with YOUR well-intentioned but misguided abbettance, my friend -- to fool herself into thinking she hasn't caused that poor woman any harm, on grounds of "If she doesn't know I helped poison her marriage, then I don't have to live in atonement for that." How does this improve your prospects for saving your marriage, Scooter? I'll answer that for you: It doesn't. I makes those prospects worse.

And my entire emotional & physical affair lasted shy of 11 weeks. Your wife is facing a much more entrenched addiction.

If you're happy with where your approach has gotten you, all I can say is, Vaya con Dios & good luck. But if you want to be smart about acting strategically to save your marriage, I encourage you to expose it to the other man's wife and probably many other people besides. The way waywards reform is not by being shielded from consequences of their affairs, but by being confronted by those consequences so that there's no way back to the rotten places they've ventured.

God bless you, man. You don't deserve what you're going through, on account of people like the person I used to be, and I hope you catch a break; but I also hope you'll do what it takes to make your own breaks, too, OK?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
B
B
Another good clip about moving after an affair.
Radio clip on moving locations after an affair

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 761 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation