Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46
M
M
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Was the additional 7 cents per notebook going to make or break your budget? Was it worth unilaterally going back on what you and your husband had POJA'd? Was it worth causing conflict in your marriage?

YES. Because the issue is not the 7 cents, but that they learn to resolve these types of conflicts.

While they had POJAd buying notebooks at Target, that deal is off the table for any reason if one spouse becomes unhappy with the decision. So even though they agree to buy notebooks at Target, they still have to enthusiastically agree on the choice when they get to the store.

That very same scenario played out in my lettuce example.

A decision made in the POJA is always up for renegotiation if one spouse becomes unhappy with that decision at any point. The negotiations should be started over.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
A few things that I noticed. You two had agreed to get the notebooks at Target. He thought they were .10 cents each. My question is was it important to you to save .07 cents on each notebook? If it was, then I�d have worded it, �I think we can save a bit of money by getting them at Walmart. Would it be okay with you if we waited until we got to Walmart to buy them?� If it wasn�t the .07 cents each but a money amount total, then you could have asked, �they�re a bit more expensive than we anticipated. Would it be okay if we limited to only getting 8 of them?� This way you are expressing how you feel, and you are asking for his input. This is negotiating. You stated after that if he would have rather have gotten them at Target, it wasn�t a big deal. So if it wasn�t really a big deal if y�all got them at Target, then it wasn�t really worth bringing up.

You�re judging his point of view. He feels the way you are expressing yourself is demanding. How he feels and his viewpoint is not up to decide if it�s right or wrong. You are minimizing how he feels. What I would ask him is what about the way you are requesting or asking is coming across as demanding. I don�t think he�s viewing the conversations as safe or pleasant either.

On the music deal, there was no POJA, you informed your husband how the music listening was going to go down. Your husband wanted to listen to two songs. The better way to handle this would have been to ask him, �after you listen to your two songs, is it okay if our son listens to a song he wants?�

Of course his ripping the cord out and throwing it wasn�t okay. His angry responses are inappropriate. What I�m seeing is not a lot of POJA going on or negotiating. I�m seeing you telling him and informing him without getting his input. In other words, I see a lot of �we�re going to�� instead of �how would you feel if��

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
When I explained your situation to my DH the first thing he said was "she is hiding something!" That was his interpretation so I wonder if your H worries about this too?

Perhaps you could hold each other accountable by checking the mail together?

Hi Mel! This is such a great idea! I would love to go to the mailbox together...then I could quickly ditch the scanty female junk mail & hand him all the rest.

Your H asked a good question, and no, I don't have anything to hide. He has access to all my stuff: email, FB, journal, computer passwords, bank records. I am comfortable with him seeing it all (OK, but not THRILLED when he punishes me for stating my perspective, like in my journal when I said stuff like, "I'm starting to hate him"). All our banking is online & we look at the budget stuff together, and I haven't been on FB for a month. I'm fine to have him watch my stuff. meh.

I AM super-sensitive about him looking at other (scantily clad) females in public, on posters in stores, in the mail, in magazines, etc. This is a terrible issue for me. We've tried to address it using a code word, etc but I've 'caught him' so many times that my trust level for his behavior when he thinks 'she won't know' is NIL. Plus he's gotten really angry when I try to use the code word, and he tells me I'm being disrespectful by asking him to change his behavior. He said, "You don't trust me to handle myself. You're defaming my character." (when I've asked him to please not look at someone/something). It's a problem.

I'll never forget the time he made a big show of "NOT LOOKING" at a life-sized VS lingerie poster in the window. He opened my car door for me, shut it, then as he went around the car, he stared at the poster ALL THE WAY to his side. (I watched him). I wanted to shrivel up and die. I was SICK to my stomach.

Of course he denied, then apologized. This is so humiliating to me, I'd rather be single than keep being hurt like this. I mean, if he's really not willing to honor me with his eyes, I'll go it alone. frown

And for the record, I meet his need for PA very well (his words). It's not like he ain't got his own beauty. blush

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
K
K
A decision made in the POJA is always up for renegotiation if one spouse becomes unhappy with that decision at any point. The negotiations should be started over.

I agree with this. I noticed though that she added at the end that if he wanted to get them at Target, then she was okay with that. That says to me that she was enthusiastic with getting them at Target. I think their communication is way off.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

K
K
Z,

Somehow you've got to get your husband to buy into MB. His view of 'you're trying to control me' or whatever is off base. As a spouse, we should want to protect our spouse. If something is harmful to them that we are doing, we should stop it. In other words, he needs to stop staring at scantily clad women since that bothers you.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Brits_Brat
Also, with regard to the notebooks....before you ever left for Target, you discussed it....actually POJA'd it quite nicely. Then, when you got to Target, YOU changed what you agreed on by saying no, wait until we get to Walmart. Think about how he must have felt......he felt belittled right there in Target by having his "Mother" tell him no, wait until we get to Walmart. Was the additional 7 cents per notebook going to make or break your budget? Was it worth unilaterally going back on what you and your husband had POJA'd? Was it worth causing conflict in your marriage?

Even though they agreed on getting notebooks at Target beforehand, when they got to Target, they have to both agree enthusiastically BEFORE any item goes into the cart. So, that means he shouldn't have tossed them in there and SHE should not have said we will wait until we get to Walmart.

The point, Z, is that you can't unilaterally decide that the notebooks are going to be purchased at Walmart. That has to be a joint decision.

The solution is not to STUFF these kinds of conflicts, but to learn to resolve them. Go read my post about the lettuce. It doesn't matter how silly these issues seem to US, if it is important to one spouse, it is important to the marriage.

Actually, we hadn't POJA'd "where" we were going to get the notebooks, only that we would "stock up" on them since they were "$.10/ea." H unilaterally decided to get them at Target, though they were $.17/ea. When I expressed my preference (not a demand, simply opening up a negotiation), he got angry & shut it all down.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower

I agree with this. I noticed though that she added at the end that if he wanted to get them at Target, then she was okay with that. That says to me that she was enthusiastic with getting them at Target. I think their communication is way off.

I wasn't enthusiastic. I was letting him have his way because he was angry. My mistake.

Elizabeth Bowen

K
K
Originally Posted by Zhamila
Actually, we hadn't POJA'd "where" we were going to get the notebooks, only that we would "stock up" on them since they were "$.10/ea." H unilaterally decided to get them at Target, though they were $.17/ea. When I expressed my preference (not a demand, simply opening up a negotiation), he got angry & shut it all down.

Look at the way you expressed your preference. Reread my response to you. I think it would be better if you start phrasing things as a question. "Would it be okay if we got them at Walmart because they might be cheaper?"

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M

BUT, if they get to Target and she is no longer enthusiastic about that, then that deal is OFF the table.

And I agree about the communication issue. She could have told him she didn't want to pay more than $XYZ for the notebooks and they could have used that in their negotiations.

For the record, I DO NOT FAULT Z one bit for objecting over a 7 cent difference. This is very important to some people and that perspective should be respected. My DH would also go crazy over paying more for notebooks when he could get them cheaper at Walmart.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
I wasn't enthusiastic. I was letting him have his way because he was angry. My mistake.

Okay. Fair enough. Never say anything you aren't enthusiastic about. Your husband wasn't enthusiastic about getting them at Walmart. However, rather than expressing himself appropriately, he responded poorly.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
H let his 2nd song start playing, and I said, "Can we please let DS do his song first, and do yours next?" H ripped the tether out of his iPhone, threw it to the backseat, and said "FINE." eek!

He was wrong to have an angry outburst, but you didn't negotiate with him about the song. You just managed him like he was a child who was competing with the other kids. You just informed him what the decision was. I am sure he feels like he was being controlled and is in a position to have to ask permission. PERMISSION DENIED!

I would have not played any songs until you came up with a decision that made you both happy.

OK, so I'm trying to understand: My asking him if we can "please do DS's song first, then his next" is controlling?

I thought I was asking for what I wanted. I would have been fine if he'd responded, "I'd rather finish my song," then we could have negotiated. But he didn't, he threw a fit instead.confused

Elizabeth Bowen

M
M
[

Look at the way you expressed your preference. Reread my response to you. I think it would be better if you start phrasing things as a question. "Would it be okay if we got them at Walmart because they might be cheaper?"

Z, this is a CRITICAL POINT that you must understand. The way you are phrasing your feelings feels like you are talking down to him and denying PERMISSION. I felt the same thing when I read this and my DH and I had the same problem. Your husband must be made to feel like an EQUAL partner in the decisions.

Telling a grown man he can't buy notebooks at Target is a sure fire way to infuriate a grown adult. I know it would me!

A better way would be to ASK HIM "how would you feel if we waited and got these cheaper at Walmart." From there, you could negotiate a decision that would make you BOTH happy and that might involve buying other notebooks at Target. Don't tell him anything, simply ask him how he feels.

Exposure 101

K
K
BUT, if they get to Target and she is no longer enthusiastic about that, then that deal is OFF the table.

And I agree about the communication issue. She could have told him she didn't want to pay more than $XYZ for the notebooks and they could have used that in their negotiations.

For the record, I DO NOT FAULT Z one bit for objecting over a 7 cent difference. This is very important to some people and that perspective should be respected. My DH would also go crazy over paying more for notebooks when he could get them cheaper at Walmart.

This is good stuff, Mel. I think once Mr. and Mrs. Z can get in sync with negotiating and POJAing well and the AOs gone, their relationship will be so much better.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

M
M
[

OK, so I'm trying to understand: My asking him if we can "please do DS's song first, then his next" is controlling?

I thought I was asking for what I wanted. I would have been fine if he'd responded, "I'd rather finish my song," then we could have negotiated. But he didn't, he threw a fit instead.confused

The point is that you didn't offer him any voice in that decision, you just offered it up as your decision. You asked if this was ok and then if he says NO, then he looks like the bad guy in front of your kids no matter what he says!

Exposure 101

M
M
On the song issue, how about checking with your husband to see how he feels about playing your DS's songs? That way you could have come to a decision together about that. Your H would have felt like an equal partner instead of feeling like he was competing with a kid to play his song.

I am really alarmed about his angry outburst though and I strongly suggest you bring this up to Dr Harley.

Exposure 101

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

I'm sorry, I disagree. Saying, "I'd rather get them at WalMart," is expressing my preference, my feelings. I don't need to ask his permission ("Would it be ok?") - I simply stated my honest feelings about what's going on. Then he lost his temper.

He has a basic problem hearing my point of view - he finds it threatening: we've had this conversation many, many times. I have wants, needs, desires. I won't ask him permission for anything...I will ask "how he feels" about something, then we can start negotiating.

Elizabeth Bowen

K
K

But the thing is you informed your son that there would be sharing of the song listening. Your husband wanted to listen to two songs. Your son wanted to listen to one. You never asked your husband anything to begin with. You side stepped negotiating with your husband and informed him how it would happen. You had decided with no input from him that your husband would only get to listen to one song.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
[

The point is that you didn't offer him any voice in that decision, you just offered it up as your decision. You asked if this was ok and then if he says NO, then he looks like the bad guy in front of your kids no matter what he says!

Hm...ok. Good point!

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll do better.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J
On the song issue, how about checking with your husband to see how he feels about playing your DS's songs? That way you could have come to a decision together about that. Your H would have felt like an equal partner instead of feeling like he was competing with a kid to play his song.

OK, agreed. I can see this, now.

Elizabeth Bowen

J
Jhamila Offline OP
OP Offline
J

But the thing is you informed your son that there would be sharing of the song listening. Your husband wanted to listen to two songs. Your son wanted to listen to one. You never asked your husband anything to begin with. You side stepped negotiating with your husband and informed him how it would happen. You had decided with no input from him that your husband would only get to listen to one song.

Yikes! You're right. Yuck.

I'll do better.

Elizabeth Bowen

Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation