Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
My MIL will be leaving in few days and I do not want to confront her now and make the matters worse. But some of you might disagree with that and I need to put my foot down with MIL so that she doesn't interfere again, right?
Are you not FURIOUS that this woman is actively supporting the destruction of your marriage???

Okay, don't give her the bum's rush if she's actually leaving by, like, the end of the week. But don't add to the dysfunction of this by not telling her how dismayed you are by her support of the death of HER GRANDCHILDRENS' FAMILY (stress this, because she obviously doesn't have your childrens' best interest in mind). And you can also let her know that, although she supports the destruction of HER GRANDCHILDRENS' FAMILY, you do NOT plan to sit idly by and ruin their lives and the lives of you and HER DAUGHTER. (She doesn't get that it's going to ruin her daughter's life, either.)

Again: make sure your wife is clear that she's not taking the children from their home. Let her know she's going to have a fight on her hands. That could be a game-changer.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

J
J
I agree with MaritalBliss re: your MIL - It's ok to be upset about her influence. But MORE THAN THIS, your wife is not your ally at this point. She has already told you she's "out." If you act like a jerk to your wife's mom, or start demanding she leave THIS INSTANT, then you'll further isolate your wife.

My personal opinion is that your #1 focus should be on proving to your wife that you are the husband of her dreams. That's what I meant by "don't let the MIL issue side-line you." Especially if she's leaving in a few days.

You can't control your MIL. You can't control your wife. You CAN control yourself, and you CAN control your caring, loving and respectful behavior toward the woman you promised to love and cherish for life. Be that man.

Then, once you gain back some influence, definitely POJA any issues with your MIL. (this may not happen for a couple of weeks/months...depends upon how "checked out" your wife is at this point). I mean, is she serious about "D" like she's already seen an attorney and filed?

CWMI, re: MaritalBliss's child custody advice: ya wanna have him keep the kiddos, or stick her with 'em? Which do you think would work better in this case, eh? wink (CWMI is a master of reconciliation, BTW!)

"When you love someone, all your saved up wishes start coming out."
Elizabeth Bowen

(Changed my profile name, as it was appearing in Google searches. Yikes!)
M
M
Then, once you gain back some influence, definitely POJA any issues with your MIL.
No, this is wrong. I'm sorry, Z, but he doesn't need to POJA SQUAT with his MIL. POJA is between a husband and wife. The MIL needs to BUTT OUT.

D-Day 2-10-2009

M
M
ya wanna have him keep the kiddos, or stick her with 'em? Which do you think would work better in this case, eh? (CWMI is a master of reconciliation, BTW!)
NO! She does not take the kids! faint I'm sure his MIL would just LOVE that idea, and would help his wife get them out of the house and away from him.

Last edited by maritalbliss; 08/22/12 08:29 PM.

D-Day 2-10-2009

J
J
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Then, once you gain back some influence, definitely POJA any issues with your MIL.
No, this is wrong. I'm sorry, Z, but he doesn't need to POJA SQUAT with his MIL. POJA is between a husband and wife. The MIL needs to BUTT OUT.

Wha???

I don't mean POJA WITH his MIL...I meant POJA MIL issues with his WIFE! grin

context....context....context.....

Last edited by Zhamila; 08/22/12 08:31 PM.

Elizabeth Bowen

M
M
I don't mean POJA WITH his MIL...I meant POJA MIL issues with his WIFE!
Whew! Thank you - you had me scared for a minute, there! smile

D-Day 2-10-2009

N
OP Offline
N
maritalbliss, you are dead on .. Hope you/zhamila can coach me here further ..

My MIL came over to help with the 2nd baby delivery and staying 3 months after that ...

Your words in the red fonts below are exactly what is happening . Things that bring distresses to her are like: me not washing my hands using soap before touching the baby (I washed my hands without soap since they weren't that dirty; and I agreed to make this change), me making 20 min phone calls while watching 3.5 year old in the park, etc. I thought these were small matters to fight over, but my w values so much for these and MIL adding fuel to the fire..

I have started 180, but since w lives in the house I have been working closely with her to take care of the kids. MIL is out for few days now. I have been nice to W. Not sure if I am not exactly doing 180. But I thought being the husband I should be will help to have deposits in the Love bank.

Kids are the main reason I am so much vulnerable emotionally. I love my wife, but I can understand if she wants to leave when I am not upto her expectations. Do I have a fair chance of getting joint custody of 4 month old and 3.6 years old in california? Please answer this..

My biggest hurt is coming from the mother in law. MIL is staying with us for the past few months to take care of the kids. And her dislike for me is instigating my wife to take this extreme step.
Don't be distracted by this. Your MIL needs to get out of your house. She has no business being there. If you need child care, HIRE CHILD CARE. Her presence in YOUR home allows your wife the luxury of no longer being the Alpha Mom. She can complain to her mother about simple things that mean nothing - those things will take on a life of their own if Mommy encourages her to be unhappy and to continue complaining. Unfortunately, your MIL believes that supporting her daughter means agreeing with and supporting everything her daughter says. She SHOULD be telling her daughter to stop complaining to her and to talk to you instead.

I would suggest you stop with the begging and pleading (Helloooo! Unattractive and unmanly!!!) and get your MIL's [censored] out of the house. Tomorrow. Help her pack if need be. Let your wife know that you want to have a fantastic marriage, but it's going to take two of you to do that.

Tell her about this site. Let her know that there are tools here for a fantastic marriage. And USE THEM.

And also let her know that, if she really, really wants to go, you can't stop her. Let her know that you and your children will be sorry to see her go because you all love her so much.

Because she's not taking the kids with her. And Grandma isn't going to be seeing much of the kids, either. Be crystal clear on that. The kids stay in their own home. And you're not going anywhere, either. Sorry, ladies! cool

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Here's another.
Radio clip on in-laws
Have you listened to the clips from Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
OP Offline
N
I am so furious that my MIL (& her ego) is messing up my marriage and our kids' life. But since I think that my W can change her mind, I am controlling myself before I rush into throwing MIL out .. I have fought with her in the past one month on unrelated issues and hence all this marital issues have started..

Kids & game changer: I haven't brought this up yet since I am thinking that R can still be a possibility when MIL is gone.

My MIL will be leaving in few days and I do not want to confront her now and make the matters worse. But some of you might disagree with that and I need to put my foot down with MIL so that she doesn't interfere again, right?
Are you not FURIOUS that this woman is actively supporting the destruction of your marriage???

Okay, don't give her the bum's rush if she's actually leaving by, like, the end of the week. But don't add to the dysfunction of this by not telling her how dismayed you are by her support of the death of HER GRANDCHILDRENS' FAMILY (stress this, because she obviously doesn't have your childrens' best interest in mind). And you can also let her know that, although she supports the destruction of HER GRANDCHILDRENS' FAMILY, you do NOT plan to sit idly by and ruin their lives and the lives of you and HER DAUGHTER. (She doesn't get that it's going to ruin her daughter's life, either.)

Again: make sure your wife is clear that she's not taking the children from their home. Let her know she's going to have a fight on her hands. That could be a game-changer.

N
OP Offline
N
BrainHurts, Yes I listened to that clip yesterday. we both are from the same background, culture and religion. so it is not the cultural differences that is causing the issue. I understood applying POJA to in-laws situation when things are normal, but I am in a situation to bring her to the table to talk. I am working on 180 as well so I am unsure of initiating the talk myself.

N
OP Offline
N
Zhamila, you got my point... in the red fonts below.

I agree with you on what (in blue fonts) my focus should be now .. W has not filed for D nor seen any lawyer. She has not mentioned this to her father either.. because both M/MIL thinks that her father won't be supportive of this .. She is trying to work this with her mother.. MIL is out for few days and she kind of calls her to keep things sync-ed up with her.

CWMI, please answer Zhamila's question on kid's situation below.

Originally Posted by Zhamila
I agree with MaritalBliss re: your MIL - It's ok to be upset about her influence. But MORE THAN THIS, your wife is not your ally at this point. She has already told you she's "out." If you act like a jerk to your wife's mom, or start demanding she leave THIS INSTANT, then you'll further isolate your wife.

My personal opinion is that your #1 focus should be on proving to your wife that you are the husband of her dreams. That's what I meant by "don't let the MIL issue side-line you." Especially if she's leaving in a few days.

You can't control your MIL. You can't control your wife. You CAN control yourself, and you CAN control your caring, loving and respectful behavior toward the woman you promised to love and cherish for life. Be that man.

Then, once you gain back some influence, definitely POJA any issues with your MIL. (this may not happen for a couple of weeks/months...depends upon how "checked out" your wife is at this point). I mean, is she serious about "D" like she's already seen an attorney and filed?

CWMI, re: MaritalBliss's child custody advice: ya wanna have him keep the kiddos, or stick her with 'em? Which do you think would work better in this case, eh? wink (CWMI is a master of reconciliation, BTW!)

H
H

CWMI was talking about HER situation, in HER marriage, where her husband was trying to paint a pretty picture of divorce where he would be free of the hindrances of a wife and children.

It wouldn't work here, because this particular W has a marriage-wrecking, enabling mother.

It's no threat, it's exactly what she WANTS; to divorce and take the children.

Doing so, in this case, would be a fool's bet.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
OP Offline
N
Ohh .. CWMI's H wants D with W & kids .. didn't realize that ..

In the end, I can live with W moving out and stay in the city so that I can meet the kids often. But she wants to move out of the country .. I certainly do not want that ..

Originally Posted by HoldHerHand

CWMI was talking about HER situation, in HER marriage, where her husband was trying to paint a pretty picture of divorce where he would be free of the hindrances of a wife and children.

It wouldn't work here, because this particular W has a marriage-wrecking, enabling mother.

It's no threat, it's exactly what she WANTS; to divorce and take the children.

Doing so, in this case, would be a fool's bet.

J
J
Totally agree in this situation re: the kiddos.

However I still believe the focus should be on filling your W's Love Bank and meeting her needs: not threatening to take the kids. This is your chance to prove that you can be her biggest supporter, the husband she always wanted.

Start asking her questions: Why are you unhappy in our marriage? How are things different between us than you expected when we married? What's bugging you the most right now? ...and LISTEN (don't argue with her feelings). It takes real strength to do this.

A great way to start would be to print off the "Marital Problem Analysis" from the website, each fill it out, then "interview" each other about it. No judgment, just like an journalist would do: get the issues on the table.

You might even want to take notes. And ask to postpone the conversation if you find yourself feeling upset.

Then, find solutions together to solve those problems: solutions you are BOTH happy about.

As Dr. Harley says: when you're married, your main problems are with your spouse. Not fun, but the reality of being married. Solve those problems together and you'll both be in love & happy!

Elizabeth Bowen

N
OP Offline
N
Zhamila, maritalbliss, Brainhurts, HHH,

Thanks for your supportive responses. Each one of you have given me few different angles to think about. And my thoughts have been aligning with what Zhamila has been saying. So I have not aggravated the situation by asking MIL to get out since her days in my house are numbered and will leave our home for good. She is out now for few days anyway.

W brought up "US" issues (maybe 180 played a role here) and we discussed the matters again. We are seemingly heading towards R path. I have been nothing but nice for the past few days. W seems happy so far.. I am making deposits to the love bank ..

My thinking is that when the MIL leaves, I will have a fair chance to build the trust .. though I have started the process already ..

H
H
Totally agree in this situation re: the kiddos.

However I still believe the focus should be on filling your W's Love Bank and meeting her needs: not threatening to take the kids. This is your chance to prove that you can be her biggest supporter, the husband she always wanted.

Start asking her questions: Why are you unhappy in our marriage? How are things different between us than you expected when we married? What's bugging you the most right now? ...and LISTEN (don't argue with her feelings). It takes real strength to do this.

A great way to start would be to print off the "Marital Problem Analysis" from the website, each fill it out, then "interview" each other about it. No judgment, just like an journalist would do: get the issues on the table.

You might even want to take notes. And ask to postpone the conversation if you find yourself feeling upset.

Then, find solutions together to solve those problems: solutions you are BOTH happy about.

As Dr. Harley says: when you're married, your main problems are with your spouse. Not fun, but the reality of being married. Solve those problems together and you'll both be in love & happy!

Threaten?

No.

Two things need to be illustrated here; a happy fulfilling marriage, and a bleak picture of divorce.

It should be known that custody will be fought for, and that divorce will not be a honky-dorey "be civil for the kids" type of situation.

Recovering the marriage should be the pleasant option.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
N
OP Offline
N
Update on this.

MIL left for good with no bad feelings, at least not openly. Wife is happy with no conflicts with me. Talking to you guys helped me to navigate those days then. Thanks to you all ..

I am generally happy except that W is denying sex and is using this as a control mechanism on me. Part of this is that the kids are taking our energy out (3 months & 4 years). But she wants to use sexual denial as a tool to control me.

If this urge to control continues to exist, then I am not sure if our relationship will have healthy environment to survive and cherish. Was our reconciliation was just a patch up or is there a hope. What should we work on if we need to build hope?

J
J
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings
Update on this.

MIL left for good with no bad feelings, at least not openly. Wife is happy with no conflicts with me. Talking to you guys helped me to navigate those days then. Thanks to you all ..

I am generally happy except that W is denying sex and is using this as a control mechanism on me. Part of this is that the kids are taking our energy out (3 months & 4 years). But she wants to use sexual denial as a tool to control me.

If this urge to control continues to exist, then I am not sure if our relationship will have healthy environment to survive and cherish. Was our reconciliation was just a patch up or is there a hope. What should we work on if we need to build hope?

GOOD. This is good for you. Because your wife was probably having emotional needs met by her mother. Now if she isn't on the phone with her mom for 19 hours a day then you can meet some of those emotional needs like conversation that her mom was meeting.
I encourage you to follow a strict Plan A. Meet as many of her needs as possible. She will fall back in love with you and then meet your sexual needs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 431 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation