Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Over the last year I have been reading this board, it has been an amazing resource for countless people reeling from the devastation of adultery.

However, there is something that I was hoping to get some thoughts on relative to the advice being given to BS�s in particular. There is much focus on exposure and giving invaluable tools to those which have been betrayed need. Much focus is given on spying (gathering information), especially exposure and many other �mechanical� tools. This is great advice as it obviously follows Dr. Harley�s writings.

There is an area however that those posting to BS�s might want to take into consideration which could be of further assistance. That is really focusing on why the M broke down in the first place. Really examining what EN�s were not being met for the love to fade. Discussing LB�s, complaints and why the OP is succeeding in winning the heart of the BS�s significant other. Discussing what specific things can be done to try to meet the EN�s of the WS even in an active A.

Food for thought.

A
A

Have you ever read the Plan A carrot and stick thread? It addresses this. Guidance to people in Plan A is to meet the spouses ENs AND kill the affair.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by armymama

Have you ever read the Plan A carrot and stick thread? It addresses this. Guidance to people in Plan A is to meet the spouses ENs AND kill the affair.

AM

Yes, I am very aware of the Plan A carrot and stick thread. Very good information there. What I was trying to bring out is in the day-to-day postings here to newly BS's.

Maybe I am dead wrong. Hey, not afraid to admit that. Focusing on the EN's portion seems to be equally important to killing the A. A lot of the threads here appear to miss some of that focus.

M
M
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Over the last year I have been reading this board, it has been an amazing resource for countless people reeling from the devastation of adultery.

However, there is something that I was hoping to get some thoughts on relative to the advice being given to BS�s in particular. There is much focus on exposure and giving invaluable tools to those which have been betrayed need. Much focus is given on spying (gathering information), especially exposure and many other �mechanical� tools. This is great advice as it obviously follows Dr. Harley�s writings.

There is an area however that those posting to BS�s might want to take into consideration which could be of further assistance. That is really focusing on why the M broke down in the first place. Really examining what EN�s were not being met for the love to fade. Discussing LB�s, complaints and why the OP is succeeding in winning the heart of the BS�s significant other. Discussing what specific things can be done to try to meet the EN�s of the WS even in an active A.

Food for thought.

I disagree. You are comparing 2 completely different strategies for 2 different phases of recovery. Exposure and spying are for the active affair phase. Once the affair is ended the focus switches to the recovery phase, which is a focus on going through the steps of recovery. That includes a discussion of the causes of the affair, and a plan for recovery.

When a spouse is in an active affair, it is almost impossible to meet their needs. An active WS will rewrite history so it is virtually impossible to get an accurate understanding of the problems in the pre-affair marriage. Usually the best the BS can do is to eliminate lovebusters and do his best to meet her needs.

Please understand that there is a GOOD REASON that the main focus is on exposure and spy tools on Surviving an Affair. It is because there will be no marriage to recover if the affair is not busted up.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

AM

Yes, I am very aware of the Plan A carrot and stick thread. Very good information there. What I was trying to bring out is in the day-to-day postings here to newly BS's.

Maybe I am dead wrong. Hey, not afraid to admit that. Focusing on the EN's portion seems to be equally important to killing the A. A lot of the threads here appear to miss some of that focus.

Why do you think that is?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
There is an area however that those posting to BS�s might want to take into consideration which could be of further assistance. That is really focusing on why the M broke down in the first place. Really examining what EN�s were not being met for the love to fade.

Ask yourself this: when the Titanic is sinking do you plug the hole and save the ship or do you train the captain and his staff about proper ship navigation?

There is time to right the ship and a time to retrain the captain.

It is the same with affairs. You cannot recover a marriage while there is an active affair, so the first step has to be to kill the affair.

Exposure 101

A
A
Ummmm, I know, I know.

1. Waywards in affairs don't need additional justification for conducting the affair.

2. Waywards are emotional needs sink holes. It is impossible to fill them up.

3. Waywards are cake-eaters.

4. Waywards are so whacked out that they won't remember met ENs anyway.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
M
M
Ummmm, I know, I know.

1. Waywards in affairs don't need additional justification for conducting the affair.

AM

Give the lady a prize!!! hurray

This is correct. There is only so much you can do while there is an active affair because the WS is in the FOG and can't work on the marriage. Trying to work on the marriage with a foggy WS is about like trying to work on the steps of AA with a falling down drunk. FIRST, the drunk must sober up so that recovery can take place.

So the first order of business is to kill the affair so there will be a marriage TO save.

Exposure 101

OP Offline
I don't mean to imply at all that killing the A with the means and methods prescribed here are not critical. Please don't take it that way. I totally agree with the advice most give here. It follows MB.

Dr Harley read a letter on yesterday's radio show addressing a man who said his W was in an active A.

His advice follows all the advice given here on this forum. What he did bring out strongly was the missing elements of the M which lead up to the A. He encouraged the BH to try to determine exactly what was missing from the relationship which lead to the decline and focus on meeting those EN's now. He also said to stop all LB's immediately.

Focusing on EN�s even with and active A was the main emphasis Dr Harley gave to this BS.

Again, what I am trying to bring out is the supreme importance of the BS understanding what lead up the LB being drained and REALLY focusing on changing that behavior even when and active A is occurring.

100% agree about the Titanic sinking. No doubt. Just trying to explore the topic of continuing to focus on all aspects following dday to further help everyone on this forum.

A
A
A couple of more:

5. When a BS takes the lead, dragging a kicking and screaming uncommitted wayward into working on the marriage, it takes a heck of a toll on the BS, physically, mentally and emotionally.

6. It wastes time. In our case, we ended up doing many MB lessons over again. My H's A had ended, but he was very foggy for a very long time. He doesn't remember much of what was happening then.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
OP Offline
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Ummmm, I know, I know.

AM

Give the lady a prize!!! hurray

This is correct. There is only so much you can do while there is an active affair because the WS is in the FOG and can't work on the marriage. Trying to work on the marriage with a foggy WS is about like trying to work on the steps of AA with a falling down drunk. FIRST, the drunk must sober up so that recovery can take place.

So the first order of business is to kill the affair so there will be a marriage TO save.

I don't disagree. Please listen to yesterday's broadcast and you will see what I am talking about.

Again, Dr. Harley's MAIN advice to the BS was to focus on EN's.

Just saying..

OP Offline
A couple of more:

5. When a BS takes the lead, dragging a kicking and screaming uncommitted wayward into working on the marriage, it takes a heck of a toll on the BS, physically, mentally and emotionally.

6. It wastes time. In our case, we ended up doing many MB lessons over again. My H's A had ended, but he was very foggy for a very long time. He doesn't remember much of what was happening then.

AM

Again, agree 100%. No way you can move into R with an active A.

What I am saying is that balancing ending the A WITH still A MAJOR focus on EN's is what Dr. Harley prescribed to the BS on the radio show.

E
E
I see every single BS advised to Plan A and is referred to Dr. Harley's SAA. This is also here on the site

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
But for the betrayed spouse, waiting for the affair to end seems like an eternity. The wayward spouse can't seem to make up his or her mind -- one moment committing to the marriage and the next moment committing to the lover. To help a betrayed spouse survive that painful period of vacillation -- the time it takes for an affair to die a natural death -- I recommend two plans. If the first plan (plan A) is unsuccessful in separating the wayward spouse from the lover, the second plan (plan B) is followed until the affair is ended. This sequence -- plan A followed by plan B -- represents the most sensible approach to handling a wayward spouse's inability to decide between the lover and the betrayed spouse.
and
Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Plan A is for the betrayed spouse to negotiate with the wayward spouse to totally separate from the lover without angry outbursts, disrespectful judgments, and selfish demands. These three Love Busters not only ruin any effort to reach a negotiated settlement, but they also make the betrayed spouse much less attractive to the wayward spouse. Instead of encouraging total separation from the lover, the anger, disrespect and demands of the betrayed spouse make the lover appear to be the only one who truly cares about the wayward spouse. They literally throw the wayward spouse into the arms of the lover.

On the other hand, if the betrayed spouse approaches the wayward spouse with respect and thoughtfulness, the cruelty and self-indulgence of the affair is much easier for the wayward spouse to understand. And once the wayward spouse's mistake is acknowledged, it's much easier for him or her to take the first step toward recovery by agreeing to never see or talk to the lover again.

In these negotiations for total separation, the causes of the affair should be addressed. Since one of these causes is usually unfulfilled emotional needs, the betrayed spouse should express a willingness to meet those needs after the affair has ended.

OP Offline
Ok. I am not trying to bait someone here into an argument. OF COURSE you have to kill the A.

If I would have only focused on ending my FWW's A and not put EQUAL effort into EN's. I would be divorced. That is the reason my LB balance drained with her.

The majority of the advice I see given here is on ending the A and not equal advice given to EN's. That is all I am saying. My intent here was to try to explore ways to further be of benefit of BS's on this board.

You can post all the excerpts from articles you want to. Those are great. However, that does not address what other posters are saying to BS's here. It has no bearing.

Forget it. I'm not going to argue. If you think there is no room for improvement, fine.

Geeze. Never thought I would get my hand slapped for trying to help.

OP Offline
I am in R from an A. I thought maybe just maybe someone who has had success might be able to shed some additional light on the subject.

guess not.

A
A

Maybe, you were in better shape when you arrived here. Most new MB BSes are bleeding all over the floor, can't eat, can't sleep and have their own version of a BS fog. Most have trouble delivering the "stick" portion of plan A, demanding an end to the affair, exposing the affair and establishing EPs. I think it is a matter of focus and timing.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
E
E
I'm not arguing with you, this post is a good way to point out to the new BS's what we mean by Plan A.

I know during my Plan A, I did my darnest to shower my WH with affection, increase the frequency of SF, and be as attractive (in and out) as I could possibly be. It didn't do jack crap as he still continued the A and things escalated between them, but I knew that I was doing all I could at that point by doing what he had complained I wasn't doing. Which is a waywards main excuse for an affair, right?

Does that make sense?

M
M
His advice follows all the advice given here on this forum. What he did bring out strongly was the missing elements of the M which lead up to the A. He encouraged the BH to try to determine exactly what was missing from the relationship which lead to the decline and focus on meeting those EN's now. He also said to stop all LB's immediately.

I agree on this, however, nothing can be done about that unless the affair is killed. This needs to be done in a rational sequence. What good does it do to discuss this with a falling down drunk unless you are focused on sobering up that drunk?

If you want to mess up a good recovery, then take the focus OFF of killing the affair and you will have a BS who comes here wasting time for years discussing minor grievances with the WS that go back years.

The path of recovery needs to make sense.

Exposure 101

M
M
In Plan A, you pledge to the WS to meet their needs if the affair is killed, you eliminate lovebusters and do your best to meet her needs. Other than that, all of the focus needs to be on killing the affair or there won't be a marriage TO save.

I think, 20, that you mistook Dr Harley's discussion about the reasons for the affair as a guide to TACTICS. He was not giving TACTICAL ADVICE, he was talking about the reasons for the affair. That doesn't mean that you CAN meet the WS's needs or that that will kill the affair. Most WS's do not allow you to meet their needs UNTIL THE AFFAIR IS KILLED.

Exposure 101

M
M
I think it is a matter of focus and timing.

EXACTLY! You can't recover a marriage until the affair is killed. It is all timing and strategy.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 893 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation