Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Wow ... i cried like a little girl... frown

This is soo sad. Get a box of tissues.

N
N
Should be required viewing for anyone contemplating marriage...

(The good news is he posted an update: "She has seen the video and come home. Please wish us, and our entire family luck.")

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
Should be required viewing for anyone contemplating marriage...

(The good news is he posted an update: "She has seen the video and come home. Please wish us, and our entire family luck.")

I agree .. and the update on the status is great. I just fear he will have a false recovery. I tried to post a marriage builders link on the video comments but it would not let me. frown

N
N
Good idea. Did you try just telling him to google "Marriage Builders"? That might get through the screen.

I was going to try the same thing, but I don't have a YouTube account.

You'll have to admit, though, there's no need to counsel him on the advisability of exposure!

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
You'll have to admit, though, there's no need to counsel him on the advisability of exposure!

Yeah .. no kidding huh? A youtube exposure. Not only that but I think it was on the news too ...

W
W
I hope his WW realizes just how fortunate she is.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
OP Offline
M
I agree Wulffpack I hope she does too ... possibly this video should be in the SAA forum?

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; 10/05/12 03:09 PM.
F
F
In my view: pathetic plan A
2. Is it just me thinking or usually the BS is the good looking one?

Me: BW, 41
WH: 46
Married 7 years, together 12
DD: 5
OW: 39
D-Day: 11 April
Plan B since 10/3/12
Divorced 11/12
M
M
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
I agree Wulffpack I hope she does too ... possibly this video should be in the SAA forum?
No, I think this video should absolutely NOT be in SAA.

The posters on SAA are going through the equivalent of that poor man's situation. They don't need to see a visual of their heartache.

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

H
H
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Wow ... i cried like a little girl... frown

I cried like a man, but I feel ya... wink

Men have always cried. Yet the acceptability of male crying has varied across time and across culture. There are many references to man tears in ancient Greek and Roman culture. In Homer�s The Iliad there is no conflict between Odysseus� heroic qualities and the inclusion of many episodes of his weeping for home, loved ones, and fallen comrades. Yet Odysseus never breaks down out of loneliness or frustration, which the ancient Greeks did not feel were acceptable reasons for men to cry. They also expected warriors to understand that there were times when public displays of emotion were acceptable, and times when it was appropriate to cry alone. Odysseus frequently tries to hide his tears from those around him.

The Old Testament is similarly replete with references to weeping. The ancient Hebrews wept as part of their supplications to God and before going to battle. The Gospel writers did not feel that tears were a threat to either the manhood or godhood of Christ and dutifully recorded that �Jesus wept.� Perhaps drawing inspiration from this emotional display, early church thinkers considered tears a gift and a natural accompaniment to spiritual, even transcendent, experiences. The great theologian Thomas Aquinas, like the ancient Greeks, made the distinction between the very public weeping that had characterized Hebraic culture, and the idea that it was frequently best to cry away from people�s prying eyes.

Medieval Japanese and European epics are chock full of male crying. The great warriors in both Beowulf and The Tale of Heiki cry buckets over both great spiritual questions and the death of comrades. The warriors in such stories are expected to cry about issues of war, peace, and ideals, while the women weep over romantic and platonic relationships or out of general sadness, loneliness, or frustration.

Up through the Romantic Era, a permissive, even celebratory attitude toward male crying prevailed. Popular culture was of full of sentimental literature and art featuring men and women falling into each other�s arms and bathing one another with their tears. Tears were seen as proof of a man�s sincerity, honesty, and integrity. But the Enlightenment ushered in a more rational ideal of manhood. Tears came to be seen not as an unmitigated virtue, but as sometimes manipulative, illogical, and false.

During the Victorian Era, those virtues thought to be exclusively feminine in nature were celebrated. Women were seen as dainty and fragile, full or emotion and love. Tears have always had a vulnerable and submissive quality to them, and began to be seen as more befitting a woman than a man. As the 20th century emerged, the ideal of the tearless male emerged with it.

Courtesy of AoM, of course.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 170 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation