Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
OP Offline
L
I've got a question for all the people that are telling to get a spine. My little guy doesn't fully understand what's going on. He doesn't know that shes sleeping on the couch. She gets up before him and puts everything away.... She just came to me and said something about Christmas. Every Christmas morning he comes into our room to tell us that Santa was here. Did I do the right thing by telling her I'd give her a sleeping bag for the floor.

L
OP Offline
L
I'm rereading the book now

M
M
She shouldn't be even in your house, let alone your bedroom.

Is her boyfriend coming for breakfast?

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
B
B
How old is DS? How old are all your kids?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
This is going to be a long night. I've been going between hear and the book. I NEED TO GET MY LIFE STRAIGHT and you people are helping me go in that direction. All I'm doing is reading today

B
B
Originally Posted by Loosingmylove
This is going to be a long night. I've been going between hear and the book. I NEED TO GET MY LIFE STRAIGHT and you people are helping me go in that direction. All I'm doing is reading today
Read Jon and Sue's story and how he got her out and went to Plan B.

You should be asking how to get her out and how to stop paying for her affair.

Also you should tell your DS the truth if he is at least 4.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
OM46 WW43 BH46 D19 D14 S7

B
B
OM46 WW43 BH46 D19 D14 S7
Does your DS7 know the truth about his mom's affair?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Dr. Harley on telling the children:

The same can be said about telling children about an affair. My experience with the positive outcomes of hundreds of families where an affair has been exposed to children has led me to encourage a betrayed spouse not to fear such exposure. In fact, to mislead children, giving other false explanations as to why their parents are not getting along, causes children to be very confused. When they finally discover the truth, it sets an example to children that dishonesty is sometimes acceptable, making them the judge of when that might occur.

An affair is an attack on children as well as the betrayed spouse. And it's true that children are deeply affected by this form of irresponsible behavior. But it's the act of infidelity that causes children to suffer, not the exposure of it. Facts point us toward solutions. Illusion leads us astray. That's true for children as well as adults.
here

Q: So, you do suggest telling our 10 year old son? Is this more than he can handle? He never saw any real unhappiness as my husband and I had a very low conflict marriage. I have been protecting our son from this truth. He still has hope that his dad is going to come home.
A: As for your son, the truth will come out eventually, even if you get back together again. And your son won't be emotionally crippled if he hears the truth. It's lies and deception that cripple children. He should know that your husband is choosing his lover over his son's mother. It's a fact. He's willing to ruin a family unit all for what.

When I first started recommending openness about an affair, I wasn't sure what would happen. But I did it because I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I know that for most couples it marks the beginning of recovery.

The reason that children should know about an affair is that exposing it to the light of day (letting everyone know), helps give the unfaithful spouse a dose of reality. An affair thrives on illusion, and whatever a betrayed spouse can do to eliminate the illusion is justifiable. Mold doesn't grow well in sunlight.
here

2. How honest should I be about the A? (they are 7 and under)

Tell your children as much as you can about their father's affair, and how it affects you. There are some counselors and lawyers that strongly disagree with me on this issue, but I have maintained that position for over 35 years without any evidence that children are hurt by it. They're hurt by the affair, not by accurate information regarding the affair. Just make sure that you don't combine accurate information with disrespectful judgments. For example, you can say that the OW has taken their father away from you, but you should not say that she is home-wrecker (or worse).
here

My basic approach to life is that radical honesty is valuable on many different dimensions. It keeps us out of trouble, it helps others understand us, and it helps others avoid the same mistakes we have made. Letting your children know the details of your husband's affair would help them in all three areas.

The more your children know about your husband's affair, the more careful he will be to avoid them in the future.

The more your children know about his affair, the more they will understand what you are going through in your recovery (by the way, you are doing very well -- keep up the good work!).

Being radically honest about your husband's affair with your children would also help them avoid affairs themselves. How it happened and how could it have been prevented is a great object lesson for children. I learned that I was vulnerable for an affair when I learned about my grandfather's affairs. The extraordinary precautions I've taken were directly related to what I learned about him.

It's the approach I've always taken, and while it's difficult, especially for the WS, there's much more upside to it than downside.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
Everyone has tried to shield him from thisb at this point. He has the comprehention of a 3yr old

B
B
Everyone has tried to shield him from thisb at this point. He has the comprehention of a 3yr old
Oh, he's special needs?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
yes he is

B
B
yes he is
Ok. So let's work on getting her out of the house.

What's your plan to do this?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
I honestly don't know yet. I'm trying to get my head straight. doing alot of reading. along with all the reading. Any advise would be great. I'm reading the story of Jon and sue. I can't believe how much I'm relating to it.

M
M
I honestly don't know yet. I'm trying to get my head straight. doing alot of reading. along with all the reading. Any advise would be great. I'm reading the story of Jon and sue. I can't believe how much I'm relating to it.

ok, so your plan is what exactly? You have told us all the things you CAN'T do. What CAN you do? Nothing?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
OP Offline
L
So far I've told her That if she's going to continue keeping contact. She better do it outside of the house. I'm not going to be disrespected in my own house. I also told her to get insurance for her car. I'm done being the doormat. If we get divorced. The house has to be sold and to start getting rid of her breeder dogs. She doesn't take proper care of them anyway. I told her that if she doesn't get rid of them. I'll do it my way.

B
B
So far I've told her That if she's going to continue keeping contact. She better do it outside of the house. I'm not going to be disrespected in my own house. I also told her to get insurance for her car. I'm done being the doormat. If we get divorced. The house has to be sold and to start getting rid of her breeder dogs. She doesn't take proper care of them anyway. I told her that if she doesn't get rid of them. I'll do it my way.
Why don't you stop telling her and show her?

Call and cancel the insurance TODAY.

Next......

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

M
M

ok, so really nothing has been done except some idle threats.

How about contacting an attorney and filing for divorce and getting her out of there? Does she support herself?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Are you willing to share your wife with another man FOREVER? I don't see any plan to end this on your part.

Exposure 101

I
I

People who make empty threats are always 'telling' people what they may do.

People who mean business act first and talk later.

I doubt she takes this seriously. I don't.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation