Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
My husband and I are 10 days post DD. My affair ended before Thanksgiving, but I was caught talking to another man and that is how I came to admit my affair that ended less than a month ago. When I first got caught I lied about a lot of things and after a couple of days I decided I would be better off to tell him everything. It was hard, my story went from telling him I was only with the man twice to the truth which was on six different occasions. I am very regretful and trying to let my husband know I want to work on our marriage. I try to tell him what I was missing in our marriage and let him know by no means did any of that give me an excuse to have an affair, but he doesn't want to hear any of it. Anytime I mention how I felt about our marriage I get met with that I am being selfish and I am trying to blame him and I am pointing fingers, but I have not once told him that I have put any blame on him for me having the affair. I just don't know what to do. I feel if I am honest with him about my feelings I am giving the affair validation, which is not what I want. What should I or can I do?

B
B
Originally Posted by lovetheworld
My husband and I are 10 days post DD. My affair ended before Thanksgiving, but I was caught talking to another man and that is how I came to admit my affair that ended less than a month ago. When I first got caught I lied about a lot of things and after a couple of days I decided I would be better off to tell him everything. It was hard, my story went from telling him I was only with the man twice to the truth which was on six different occasions. I am very regretful and trying to let my husband know I want to work on our marriage. I try to tell him what I was missing in our marriage and let him know by no means did any of that give me an excuse to have an affair, but he doesn't want to hear any of it. Anytime I mention how I felt about our marriage I get met with that I am being selfish and I am trying to blame him and I am pointing fingers, but I have not once told him that I have put any blame on him for me having the affair. I just don't know what to do. I feel if I am honest with him about my feelings I am giving the affair validation, which is not what I want. What should I or can I do?
Will he come here?

Take a poly for him.

Have you been STD tested?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
You mean come to this message board? I doubt it, but I will mention it to him. I have offered to take a poly. I have not been STD tested yet, but I do plan on it.

B
B
You mean come to this message board? I doubt it, but I will mention it to him. I have offered to take a poly. I have not been STD tested yet, but I do plan on it.

Have you written NC to both OM?

Have you changed all contact information?

What just compensation have you given your BH?

Are the OM married?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

O
O
I'm not going to take a lot of time or space giving you in-depth advice. First thing you do is take a hiatus from this board and read ALL the material on the web site. You say you want to save your marriage, get busy.

As a BH, I'll give you a a little insight from my perspective:

When I first got caught I lied about a lot of things . . .

This probably did as much or more damage than the adultery. If there's ANYTHING else that you're hiding, spit it out now. It will come out eventually.

I try to tell him what I was missing in our marriage . . . I mention how I felt about our marriage . . .

Stop this crap RIGHT NOW!

I feel if I am honest with him about my feelings I am giving the affair validation, which is not what I want.

All of a sudden, you value honesty in your relationship? That's gonna be a hard sell for a LONG, LONG time, sister.

Of course you're validating your affair; there's no other reason for you to be bringing this up right now. Stop it. You're driving a pointed shovel into his gut every time you try to bring up the perceived grievances/reasons that led to your adultery.

Read the material on this web site. Order the book Surviving an Affair. Read. Study. Follow MB direction and come back to this board to let some of the veterans guide you through the process.

Meanwhile, stop doing even more damage.

Last edited by OldWarHorse; 12/20/12 05:00 PM.
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

G
G
Lovetheworld, the best thing you can do is to get the book "Surviving An Affair."

I don't get a dime to tell you this. I'm a guy who, 4 years ago, was in an affair; and it almost cost me my marriage & everything else I hold dear. That book was given to my wife & me by our marriage counselor, and it explains affairs; it doesn't excuse them by any means, but it can help not only the affairee but also the betrayed spouse make sense of what seems to him now (and what hopefully will one day seem to you as well) to be completely senseless.

Ultimately, for your marriage to recover & become stronger than before the affair (which needs to be your goal), he'll have to face up to his part in not meeting certain needs of yours, just as you no doubt have not been meeting certain needs of his.

However, at this early stage, 10 days post D-Day, explanations about why affairs happen can sound indistinguishable from excuses, to a betrayed spouse's ear. For the moment, you need to shelve talk about how he wasn't meeting your needs. That's for later.

Figuratively, emotionally-speaking, your husband is a stabbing victim right now. You need to get the knife out of his back and stop the bleeding before you can increase his bench-press or comb his hair. Do you follow me?

For right now, you tend to his wounds & shock by doing everything you can to help him feel emotionally safe. This means that:
- You give him all the information he requests.
- You be completely truthful with him.
- You tell him when the affair (including the emotional-only part of it) began, and when the affair ended, even if he doesn't ask directly.
- You write a no-contact letter that he approves of & the two of you send it via registered mail to the other man. (There are samples on this site. Someone will be along soon with a template.)
- You give your husband all passwords to e-mail & phone accounts used by you to contact the other man, and you change your email addresses & cellphone numbers to ones that the other man won't know.
- You close any secret accounts in your husband's presence.
- You have no more contact with the other man, ever.
- You expose the affair to people whose esteem you value. This provides a crucial layer of acountability for you.
- If the other man is married, then you make sure the affair is exposed to his spouse.
- If it's a workplace affair, then either you or the other man need to leave the job.

If you've got a problem with any of the above measures, then I'd submit for your consideration that you aren't taking me seriously.

I hope you will take me seriously.
You should. I've walked in your shoes for a spell.
If you've got questions, ask.

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
B
B
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
My advice is to write a final letter in a way that the victimized spouse would agree to send it. It should begin with a statement of how selfish it was to cause those they loved so much pain, and while marital reconciliation cannot completely repay the offense, it's the right thing to do. A statement should be made about how much the unfaithful spouse cares about his spouse and family, and for their protection, has decided to completely end the relationship with the lover. He or she has promised never to see or communicate with the lover again in life, and asks the lover to respect that promise. Nothing should be said about how much the lover will be missed. After the letter is written, the victimized spouse should read and approve it before it is sent
here

[from SAA, pg 58]

OW, I want you to know that out of respect and love for my wife and children, I have come to realize that I must never see or talk to you again. My relationship with you was a cruel indulgence that BS did not deserve. While I cannot completely repay BS for the pain I caused her, I will do my best to become the husband she has been missing. I care a great deal for my family and I would not want to do anything to risk their happiness. I will not make any further contact with you and I do not want you to make any contact with me. Please respect my desire to end our relationship.

Sincerely, XXXXX

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

N
N
GO comes closest to the game-plan to attempt to repair what you broke, my friend, so pay particular attention to EVERY step he gave you.

But in a larger, more theoretical focus, I draw your attention to this:

I feel if I am honest with him about my feelings I am giving the affair validation,

Regardless of what your "feelings" are.....your BH doesn't care, and we certainly don't care. Your "feelings" are obviously worth nothing right now, as your "feelings" led you to drop your panties for another man. That FACT is the one that BH is struggling with accommodating, not some new-age self-esteem crap about your feelings. Right now your only concern must be, "What do you need, BH?", "How can I help you heal, BH?", and "What can I do to show you I intend to clean up my act, BH?"

Which brings us back to GO's list. Do every one of them, and keep us advised as to how you're doing.

And just because I'm particularly edgy about the Mayan Apocalypse arriving soon.....I don't even like your alias. "Lovetheworld"? How about concentrating on "LovingYourhusband"?

U
U

Don't just 'offer.' Many BS's come here willing to stay and work on a marriage wrought with infidelity, but quickly lose their energy as more damage is done with the lack of ACTION to recover. You need to more than just suggest or offer. You need to DO.

Schedule the poly today. Tell your BS that you have scheduled one and ask him to give you a list of questions he needs answered. If he doesn't, create one yourself based on the questions you would ask if you were the BS. Get the STD test tomorrow, and hand results to your BS. Write the NC letter and ask your BS to review and mail with you together. Do all the GO recommended to ensure no contact. Gather all belongings that might be triggering your BS and show him the bag as you haul it to the dumpster. If it is the house, call a realtor to find out your options for selling it. If it is a car, list it for sale.

Get my drift? You came here looking for ways to help your BS, you have already been given many. But these are action items. It is up to you to act on them, if you really want to help your husband heal.

U
U
And welcome to MB. Stick around, if you can make it through the fire you will come out the other side a better woman with a better marriage than you have ever had.

H
H
Welcome to MB you have received great advice so far. Please take on board GO's advice he has walked in your shoes and recovered his marriage.

You need to be proactive to show your BH you are sincere about recovery. ACTIONS speak louder than words.

Me 46yrs
WH 46yrs "Isildur"
Married: 22yrs 8mths
DS 9yrs;DD 19yrs;DS 21yrs
Bomb drop:marriage not working don't know if ILY 12.11.11
DD:26.11.11
WH moves to OW house 28.11.11
Formal MB Plan A 14.4.12
Plan B 27.4.12
D:20.7.14

"There are moments in life that make us & set the course of who we become. Sometimes they're little & subtle,sometimes they're big & we never saw them coming. No one asks for their life to change, but it does. It's what we do afterwards that counts & we find out who we are."
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by BrainHurts

Have you written NC to both OM?

Have you changed all contact information?

What just compensation have you given your BH?

Are the OM married?

I have not written a NC to either. The one I actually had the affair with, just never contacted me again one day. I knew his wife was getting suspicious so I assume either she found out or it was becoming to risky for him. The OM I had just started talking to was only in chat and I just deleted that account so he had no other way to get into contact with me.

I have changed all contact information.

What do you mean compensation? I had him install a gps tracker app on his phone so he can see where I am at, I deleted my Facebook account, I am doing something called 30 days of encouragement where I write him something everyday about how much he means to me or what I want to do different to try to make this work.

Both OM are married.

Last edited by lovetheworld; 12/21/12 10:31 AM.
G
G
Hi, lovetheworld. A few words about "just compensation" can be found here:
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5042_qa.html

I gave you a list in my post yesterday. You've only addressed a few of those items, and a few of them, you say you've not done.

Do you think you can take shortcuts in recovering a marriage after an affair and still have good odds of getting to a stronger relationship with your husband?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
R
OP Offline
R
I have ordered the book.

B
B
I have ordered the book.
Good. Did you read the article about Just compensation?

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Can't We Just Forgive and Forget? Infidelity is a devastating experience. And yet, most couples who go though it recover. How do they overcome the horrible memories of an affair after reconciliation? In this column, I explain my controversial position that "just compensation" is more reasonable than forgiveness when it comes to infidelity.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

R
OP Offline
R
I have no problem with him exposing the affair. I feel I deserve the humiliation and everything that comes along with it, but he does not want it exposed, he does not want ANYONE to know. So, what should I do in this situation?

Originally Posted by GloveOil
Lovetheworld, the best thing you can do is to get the book "Surviving An Affair."

I don't get a dime to tell you this. I'm a guy who, 4 years ago, was in an affair; and it almost cost me my marriage & everything else I hold dear. That book was given to my wife & me by our marriage counselor, and it explains affairs; it doesn't excuse them by any means, but it can help not only the affairee but also the betrayed spouse make sense of what seems to him now (and what hopefully will one day seem to you as well) to be completely senseless.

Ultimately, for your marriage to recover & become stronger than before the affair (which needs to be your goal), he'll have to face up to his part in not meeting certain needs of yours, just as you no doubt have not been meeting certain needs of his.

However, at this early stage, 10 days post D-Day, explanations about why affairs happen can sound indistinguishable from excuses, to a betrayed spouse's ear. For the moment, you need to shelve talk about how he wasn't meeting your needs. That's for later.

Figuratively, emotionally-speaking, your husband is a stabbing victim right now. You need to get the knife out of his back and stop the bleeding before you can increase his bench-press or comb his hair. Do you follow me?

For right now, you tend to his wounds & shock by doing everything you can to help him feel emotionally safe. This means that:
- You give him all the information he requests.
- You be completely truthful with him.
- You tell him when the affair (including the emotional-only part of it) began, and when the affair ended, even if he doesn't ask directly.
- You write a no-contact letter that he approves of & the two of you send it via registered mail to the other man. (There are samples on this site. Someone will be along soon with a template.)
- You give your husband all passwords to e-mail & phone accounts used by you to contact the other man, and you change your email addresses & cellphone numbers to ones that the other man won't know.
- You close any secret accounts in your husband's presence.
- You have no more contact with the other man, ever.
- You expose the affair to people whose esteem you value. This provides a crucial layer of acountability for you.
- If the other man is married, then you make sure the affair is exposed to his spouse.
- If it's a workplace affair, then either you or the other man need to leave the job.

If you've got a problem with any of the above measures, then I'd submit for your consideration that you aren't taking me seriously.

I hope you will take me seriously.
You should. I've walked in your shoes for a spell.
If you've got questions, ask.

I
I
You said "both OM are married". You had two different affairs?

WW-30
Me BH-35
OM-1 EA/PA for 2.5 yrs
OM-2 EA/PA 3 mos
Married since Nov 2002
DDay-April 4th, 2011, DD#2-four days later
DD-3
Working on recovery
T
T
Originally Posted by regretfull
I have no problem with him exposing the affair. I feel I deserve the humiliation and everything that comes along with it, but he does not want it exposed, he does not want ANYONE to know. So, what should I do in this situation?

At minimum OMW with the PA should be told?
How where did you meet OMPA?

Maybe after you get the SAA book and you can show your BH things that needs to be done post affair it will convince him to expose OMW.

Then if he likes what Dr Harley says then you can get BH to try a phone couseling session.

M
M
Originally Posted by regretfull
try to tell him what I was missing in our marriage and let him know by no means did any of that give me an excuse to have an affair, but he doesn't want to hear any of it. Anytime I mention how I felt about our marriage I get met with that I am being selfish and I am trying to blame him and I am pointing fingers, but I have not once told him that I have put any blame on him for me having the affair. I just don't know what to do. I feel if I am honest with him about my feelings I am giving the affair validation, which is not what I want. What should I or can I do?

regretfull, I would start by stopping the blame game. When a person is sorry they don't tend to cite the wrongdoings of others. He knows you are blaming him and it is insulting when you blame him and then insist "but I am not blaming you!" That is not going to work with a person who uses logic.

You had an affair because you have poor boundaries with men. And yes, the marriage probably wasn't perfect, but before you start working on that, I would give him at least a couple of seconds to stop bleeding. He has been dealt a shock that is traumatic as rape or physical assault.

A better way to approach it is to get the book Surviving an Affair, read it together and go through this program.

While he is getting over his shock, I would focus on exposing your affairs and setting up a transparent, affair proof marriage.

Have your affairs been exposed? Have you ended all contact with these losers?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,015 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation