Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
L
L
mel--

Originally Posted by teetering
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Are you married?

If so, how long?

Any children?

Have either of you had any affairs?

We have been together 12 years, married 8 with two children. And no physical affairs that I'm aware of. No emotional affairs on my part, but he crossed the line with this godsister of his and a couple of other women as far as I'm concerned. Nothing that he fully admits to and I'm ok with what he has told me, so long as it's actually true.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Letty
Originally Posted by KaylaAndy
That's because she's a conflict avoider. It's easier to demonize her husband than face the fact that she's unwilling to face down his displeasure to require his respect.

Mel - I recognize a classic conflict avoider when I see one - remember - you spot it you got it?

She needs to snoop. She's afraid of what she'll find. but she's also afraid of his anger.

It's easier to demonize him here and try to get sympathy than deal with her own character defect that allows him the license to not be open and honest with her.

this^^^

teetering, do you, deep inside, believe that your husband is not committed to your marriage, and you are displacing your anger, because it would be too painful and life-disrupting to find out the truth? are you upset with yourself/your husband because you realise that you will have to get proactive and start snooping to find out what is really going on, and then have to make decisions about it?

it would be easier for everyone, but mainly you, if you just came right out and baldly stated your true feelings about your M. (i know this is hard.) so far, i've gleaned that you've never really been happy because you feel your husband is not committed to your M. additionally, i think you have a terrible fear about where you M is. would this be correct?

I don't think so. I think my marriage is in the can and I'm well aware and ok acknowledging that, and my relationship with my husband has always been unfortunate. We've come out a bit. Overtime we've learned to live together in a way that's got more good times than bad; and yet, intimacy and equality remain issues between us and there are variety of ways in which the problem displays itself between us.

I place my anger squarely on him and rarely hold back unless we're in the company of others or our children. I write letters and express myself verbally as well, whatever it takes. I don't have any trouble telling him how I feel and what I think. I am met with a typically dismissive response, and so here I am, writing to you hoping that someone gets what I'm saying. Ironically, much of what he says, you all have said and now I'm really spinning.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

L
L
That's because she's a conflict avoider. It's easier to demonize her husband than face the fact that she's unwilling to face down his displeasure to require his respect.

Mel - I recognize a classic conflict avoider when I see one - remember - you spot it you got it?

She needs to snoop. She's afraid of what she'll find. but she's also afraid of his anger.

It's easier to demonize him here and try to get sympathy than deal with her own character defect that allows him the license to not be open and honest with her.

this^^^

teetering, do you, deep inside, believe that your husband is not committed to your marriage, and you are displacing your anger, because it would be too painful and life-disrupting to find out the truth? are you upset with yourself/your husband because you realise that you will have to get proactive and start snooping to find out what is really going on, and then have to make decisions about it?

it would be easier for everyone, but mainly you, if you just came right out and baldly stated your true feelings about your M. (i know this is hard.) so far, i've gleaned that you've never really been happy because you feel your husband is not committed to your M. additionally, i think you have a terrible fear about where you M is. would this be correct?

I don't think so. I think my marriage is in the can and I'm well aware and ok acknowledging that, and my relationship with my husband has always been unfortunate. We've come out a bit. Overtime we've learned to live together in a way that's got more good times than bad; and yet, intimacy and equality remain issues between us and there are variety of ways in which the problem displays itself between us.

I place my anger squarely on him and rarely hold back unless we're in the company of others or our children. I write letters and express myself verbally as well, whatever it takes. I don't have any trouble telling him how I feel and what I think. I am met with a typically dismissive response, and so here I am, writing to you hoping that someone gets what I'm saying. Ironically, much of what he says, you all have said and now I'm really spinning.

ok. so your M is lacking the basic building block of intimacy, and you guys are lovebusting all over the place in your frustration.

you mentioned that you had read some of dr harley's books. which ones? and of them, which chapters spoke to you the loudest?

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
L
L
Just breathe deep right now. My advice to you right now is to try to figure out one thing you can change right now that you know will be something that will better you and be something that will benefit your marriage.

You can work on yourself while you are trying to figure out why your H is disconnected and uncaring about your needs.

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
M
M
[

I didn't sense you were a conflict avoider. You sure haven't been one here. What does he say when you tell him what you want?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T

this^^^

ok. so your M is lacking the basic building block of intimacy, and you guys are lovebusting all over the place in your frustration.

you mentioned that you had read some of dr harley's books. which ones? and of them, which chapters spoke to you the loudest?
Exactly.

We've read Love Busters and His Needs/Her Needs together: Angry Outburst, Disrespectful Judgements, and Independent Behavior from LB stand out most because that's where most of our problems are.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

M
M
We've read Love Busters and His Needs/Her Needs together: Angry Outburst, Disrespectful Judgements, and Independent Behavior from LB stand out most because that's where most of our problems are.

And how would you rate each other in each of those lovebusters?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
I
I trust that a liar will eventually expose himself. The question is what to do about it.

Um, no he won't. And yes the question IS what to do about it. It is exceptionally complacent for your choices to be either a) the problem will fix itself or b) leave.

Complacency is the decision to do nothing. And that is exactly what you are doing.

[quote=indiegirl]You are only assuming he is lying to you. You have no proof and can't be bothered to look for any.

Complacency in relationships often lead to Disrespectful Judgements such as these. It is a DJ to presume lying without even checking!

You would rather leave the marriage than check. I advise on these forums daily and I've seen some misguided attitudes.....

But I have simply never before seen laziness and a disregard for marriage on this scale as I see here.

[quote=teetering]
You're catching me at the tail end of a dramatic saga...don't judge. smile I've hardly been complacent, but giving up may be more like it.

Giving up is complacency. Regardless of what has happened before, it is your job to assess the situation and act. We cannot control others, we can only control ourselves.

You claim there is inequality by your H snooping while you don't. But it is your complacency in NOT snooping creating that inequality!!

I've never needed to actively look. I trust that a liar will eventually expose himself. The question is what to do about it.

"I won't look" "It will resolve itself" "I won't do anything about it"

If I were married to someone this uncaring, inactive and lackadaisacal I would be the one giving up!

No one is interested in your complaints about things you can't be bothered to reslove and act upon. What are you going to DO?

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
L
Maybe your H is a conflict avoider. That doesn't mean he isn't secretive. It doesn't mean that he is wrong in engaging in his secretive behavior..... If the way you discuss things with him is angry or blaming or make him feel guilt, then he shuts down to avoid it all. I am just guessing here.... I thought my angry outburts (AO's) were justified b/c of what my H does, but now I know that some of my behaviors have been/are lovebusters. Lovebusters destroy relationships. It seems doubly so when your spouse is a conflict avoider. Just a thought........

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
M
M
teetering, can you identify the lovebusters in your first post?

I'm new to MB. Read a number of articles that I have enjoyed, but saw one on keylogging and was appalled. frown My husband has repeatively snooped around on me, and everytime he has, my feelings for him decrease. I'm disgusted with myself that I married a man so insecure and paranoid. We've been together 12 years. I have never cheated on him or even actively considered it. I trust that he hasn't on me, although his general lack of trust leads me to believe that shaddy behavior is in his nature more so than not. What am I missing about this snooping thing? Someone convince me that all of his slick ways have been for our good, and not a lusty desire for control and power born out of inborn insecurity and personal feelings of guilt and shame.

Exposure 101

T
OP Offline
T
[

I didn't sense you were a conflict avoider. You sure haven't been one here. What does he say when you tell him what you want?

Never considered myself to be a conflict avoider, no. I'm not afraid of disagreeing with others or them disagreeing with me.

What he says depends on however he feels I suppose. He may agree for the day, and then passive aggressively not do what I ask. He may complain about my asking for something. He may turn it on me and demand that I do something for him first. He may stonewall me and pretend that he can't hear me. He will start fights with me, really, he has an arsenal of ways to push me away when I tell him I need something from him in our relationship.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

T
OP Offline
T

And how would you rate each other in each of those lovebusters?

Angry Outburst and DJ are both weaknesses of ours. The Independent Behavior is mostly an issue that I have with him. He prefer Independent Behavior, so long as he is the one being independent, or so long as my independence is convenient for him.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

I
I
Anger is no way to resolve conflicts.

Anger is simply the last resort of a conflict avoider who has reached the end of their rope.

This all goes back to your lack of action in the marriage.

Stop expecting someone to wave a magic wand and step up.

If you have a problem you should raise it LONG before you even feel any anger.

Then you raise complaints calmly, suggesting solutions which are as much to his benefit as yours.

If you fear there is secrecy, snoop.

Stop expecting someone else to play your role in this marriage.

I
I
He may agree for the day, and then passive aggressively not do what I ask..

But that simply means he never really wanted to do it and you should not be forcing him to. If he doesn't want to do something, don't make him. Go back to the negotation and choose a solution that works as well for him as it does for you.

He may turn it on me and demand that I do something for him first.

But if he does not want to do it, you should not be making him any way!

POJA requires two enthusiatic votes.

If he needs pushing, then you don't have an enthusiastic vote, do you?

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Littlebit3
Maybe your H is a conflict avoider. That doesn't mean he isn't secretive. It doesn't mean that he is wrong in engaging in his secretive behavior..... If the way you discuss things with him is angry or blaming or make him feel guilt, then he shuts down to avoid it all. I am just guessing here.... I thought my angry outburts (AO's) were justified b/c of what my H does, but now I know that some of my behaviors have been/are lovebusters. Lovebusters destroy relationships. It seems doubly so when your spouse is a conflict avoider. Just a thought........

I'm not sure I'd say he's a conflict avoider. Maybe I need a better understanding of what that means. He has no issue getting into conflict with other people or me. He starts verbal fights whenever he feels like it and with whomever, and was quite rowdy physically when he was younger. He's been secretive since before we were together. So while I used to think it was me and the way I reacted to him, I realize that this is actually the way he has been. I certainly don't make it better though.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

M
M
Would he agree to go through the program with you? You said he read the books with you. Was he willing to implement these concepts?

Exposure 101

I
I
Originally Posted by Littlebit3

I'm not sure I'd say he's a conflict avoider. Maybe I need a better understanding of what that means. He has no issue getting into conflict with other people or me. He starts verbal fights whenever he feels like it and with whomever, and was quite rowdy physically when he was younger. He's been secretive since before we were together. So while I used to think it was me and the way I reacted to him, I realize that this is actually the way he has been. I certainly don't make it better though.

In this context conflict has nothing to do with anger and violence.

By 'conflict' Little simply means disagreements or areas of unhappiness or complaints.

All things which can be discussed calmly and peacefully.

It is actually quite common for conflict avoiders to resort to anger and violence because they don't have the skills to verbalise the conflict. They avoid it until they lose control.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by indiegirl
He may agree for the day, and then passive aggressively not do what I ask..

But that simply means he never really wanted to do it and you should not be forcing him to. If he doesn't want to do something, don't make him. Go back to the negotation and choose a solution that works as well for him as it does for you.

He may turn it on me and demand that I do something for him first.

But if he does not want to do it, you should not be making him any way!

POJA requires two enthusiatic votes.

If he needs pushing, then you don't have an enthusiastic vote, do you?
You're assuming I'm pushing and not getting an enthusiastic agreement with him. Yes, occasionally I have. But not so much since we read Lovebusters, which was years ago. He may very well enthusiastically agree with me, even saying "I ENTHUSIASTICALLY AGREE WITH THIS" and then turn around and do something different, even blaming me for asking him to do something for me at all. This is my frustration. How am I to know what he wants or doesn't if it he himself doesn't know or wont say? Keylogging his brain was a thought, but seemed impractical.

Last edited by teetering; 01/01/13 05:14 PM.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

T
OP Offline
T
Would he agree to go through the program with you? You said he read the books with you. Was he willing to implement these concepts?
He said he was, but that was years ago. He enthusiastically agreed to read another book with me, one of his choosing, months ago. We got one chapter in and he quit, saying it was boring and that he never wanted to read it in the first place. This has happened with counseling as well, and many other things I bring up concerning our relationship. He feigns enthusiastic agreement, and then completely backs out and goes on the attack if I question him.

Last edited by teetering; 01/01/13 05:16 PM.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

I
I

You seem intent on missing the point.

to do something for me at all.

But POJA is not about doing something for YOU!!!

POJA solutions should NEVER benefit only one party.

Your H is q right in refusing solutions that only benefit you.

That is the WHOLE POINT of POJA.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation