Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2695050 01/04/13 01:33 PM
R
OP Offline
R
It has been a couple of days since W agreed to cut off all contact with OM and work things out with me. She has given me access to all social media and her email account. She let me block his number from her phone and has given me access to her phone.

My problem lies in the fact that before the affair and after I found out we have discussed what EN's I wasnt meeting for her and by far the most important to her has been attention. Even now that she has decided to work things out she says that she is used to me not giving her attention and that she no longer desires it from me. How do I get past this? She still wants to leave and have time to herself, its like she is just tired of being around me. She also accuses me of being clingy.

Last edited by Recovery_BluesGA; 01/04/13 01:34 PM.
G
G
Blues, how did the affair begin, and how long did it go on?
Has a no-contact letter been sent?
When did she last have contact with him?

Don't expect a still-foggy, possibly just-out-of-contact wayward to be on-board with & comprehending of emotional needs. That she would accuse you of being clingy is indicative that her mindset is still very self-focused & quite wayward. She's obviously not yet on-board with the concept of 'just compensation.'

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
I
I
Sorry that you are going through the terrible pain caused by infidelity. You are in the right place for advice. You should read everything on this website about how to recover from an affair, and read Dr. Harley's book Surviving an Affair.
Has a No Contact letter been sent? If the OM is married, has the affair been exposed to his wife? These steps are very important.
Your wife may find you clingy because she is very early in the withdrawal period following the end of an affair. You'll find more about this and how to handle it on this website and in SA.
Good luck to you! Following Dr. Harley's advice is the best way to recover happiness in your marriage.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by GloveOil
Blues, how did the affair begin, and how long did it go on?
Has a no-contact letter been sent?
When did she last have contact with him?

Don't expect a still-foggy, possibly just-out-of-contact wayward to be on-board with & comprehending of emotional needs. That she would accuse you of being clingy is indicative that her mindset is still very self-focused & quite wayward. She's obviously not yet on-board with the concept of 'just compensation.'

The affair has went on for a year now
A no contact letter has been sent
Dec 28th

I understand that she is still foggy its just that we discussed this before I knew about the affair and we discussed it today as well.

My knee-jerk reaction is to full-heartedly try to meet her ENs so that she doesnt change her mind about working things out or be tempted to contact him in some way. I have all the bases that I can covered but we are very poor financially and some of these suggestions about GPS trackers and key loggers aren't just out of my budget but seem kind of overboard. All she would have to do is create a new email account and email him without me being any the wiser.

G
G
Can you also answer my previous questions about
--how did the affair begin?
and
--when did she last have contact with him?
The answers may determine what advice is appropriate.

Originally Posted by Recovery_BluesGA
... I have all the bases that I can covered but we are very poor financially and some of these suggestions about GPS trackers and key loggers aren't just out of my budget but seem kind of overboard. All she would have to do is create a new email account and email him without me being any the wiser.
Check out the "Operation Investigate" forum for advice on some free keylogger applications.

What do you mean when you say you think some of the suggestions are 'kind of overboard'? I'm speaking to you as a guy who was in an affair, so you can believe me when I tell you that when an affairee suddenly goes into no-contact, initially there are overwhelming urges to resume contact. Not putting a free keylogger onto her PC at this stage would be going way "underboard."

Once you can get a wayward a few weeks into no-contact, they start to become more clear-headed & can be dealt with as a more rational person. However, at this very early stage of recovery now, she is, for all practical purposes, an addict in withdrawal. Right now, your #1 priority should be to make sure to verify for yourself that she doesn't break withdrawal by seeking a "fix" in the form of renewed contact.

The fact that you may not have the wherewithal able to attain 100%, perfect assurance is no excuse for you not to do the things that are easily within your power to get assurance to the greatest degree possible. Do you want to give yourself the best chance of saving your marriage, or what?

DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
N
N
All she would have to do is create a new email account and email him without me being any the wiser.

...which you would know about immediately through the secret keylogger you installed!

Trust me when I say you should trust the EXPERTS here and not the set of personal judgments that.....well, you're here, aren't you?

S
S
[ I have all the bases that I can covered but we are very poor financially and some of these suggestions about GPS trackers and key loggers aren't just out of my budget but seem kind of overboard. All she would have to do is create a new email account and email him without me being any the wiser.
How can keyloggers and GPS trackers be overboard if they are also simple to get around?

And why do you insult our intelligence on here? If keyloggers were so simple to get around with a new email account, then why would we be recommending them? Do you think we're all simple-minded?

Keyloggers track every keystroke that is made on a PC, so if a new email account is set up, the keystrokes to set it up are recorded. Isn't that obvious?

Have you read about how many people here discovered contact via keyloggers - after D Day, after the WS swore up and down that there was NC, after all existing passwords were handed over, after Bibles were sworn upon? Not one of them (us) felt that keyloggers were overboard when they saw evidence of their spouse's lying and utter disregard for the horror that the BS was going through.

Refuse to spend $99 on a keylogger if you like - that is your right - but don't insult our intelligence!

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
R
OP Offline
R
Can you also answer my previous questions about
--how did the affair begin?
and
--when did she last have contact with him?
The answers may determine what advice is appropriate.

The OM was a high school crush, she found him on FB 3 years ago and they have had polite conversation on/off since then. She said that it did not turn in to a PA until about a year ago and did not turn into an EA until some short time after that.

My W was able to engage in the affair because I have always been good about giving her time to herself because the kids stress her out. So, most Fridays or all day Saturday I would let her go off by herself to relieve stress.

She last had contact Dec 28th.

What do you mean when you say you think some of the suggestions are 'kind of overboard'? I'm speaking to you as a guy who was in an affair, so you can believe me when I tell you that when an affairee suddenly goes into no-contact, initially there are overwhelming urges to resume contact. Not putting a free keylogger onto her PC at this stage would be going way "underboard."

Once you can get a wayward a few weeks into no-contact, they start to become more clear-headed & can be dealt with as a more rational person. However, at this very early stage of recovery now, she is, for all practical purposes, an addict in withdrawal. Right now, your #1 priority should be to make sure to verify for yourself that she doesn't break withdrawal by seeking a "fix" in the form of renewed contact.[/color]

Some of the things I keep seeing are people suggesting $100 key loggers and GPS tracking units and expensive spy gear basically. I did not know that there were free keyloggers.

My main problem is the iPhone that she has. I have no idea how to get past that and she uses iCloud to back up stuff so there is no local copy and I had not thought to ask her for that pword.

G
G
Originally Posted by SugarCane
...Refuse to spend $99 on a keylogger if you like - that is your right - but don't insult our intelligence!
Blues, have you priced out what a family lawyer's retainer costs? Try, about 3 or 4 grand for starters. Maybe more in some locations.

$99 is chump change, my friend. Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
R
OP Offline
R
[ I have all the bases that I can covered but we are very poor financially and some of these suggestions about GPS trackers and key loggers aren't just out of my budget but seem kind of overboard. All she would have to do is create a new email account and email him without me being any the wiser.
How can keyloggers and GPS trackers be overboard if they are also simple to get around?

And why do you insult our intelligence on here? If keyloggers were so simple to get around with a new email account, then why would we be recommending them? Do you think we're all simple-minded?

Keyloggers track every keystroke that is made on a PC, so if a new email account is set up, the keystrokes to set it up are recorded. Isn't that obvious?

Have you read about how many people here discovered contact via keyloggers - after D Day, after the WS swore up and down that there was NC, after all existing passwords were handed over, after Bibles were sworn upon? Not one of them (us) felt that keyloggers were overboard when they saw evidence of their spouse's lying and utter disregard for the horror that the BS was going through.

Refuse to spend $99 on a keylogger if you like - that is your right - but don't insult our intelligence!

You misunderstand, I don't think that they are easy to get past, I just don't have the funds for those things. I didn't know that there were reliable free one's.

R
OP Offline
R
...Refuse to spend $99 on a keylogger if you like - that is your right - but don't insult our intelligence!
Blues, have you priced out what a family lawyer's retainer costs? Try, about 3 or 4 grand for starters. Maybe more in some locations.

$99 is chump change, my friend. Don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I dont want to get into a pitty party over finances here but trust me when I say I cannot afford $99 any time soon especially without my wife noticing it.

G
G
...The OM was a high school crush, she found him on FB 3 years ago and they have had polite conversation on/off since then. She said that it did not turn in to a PA until about a year ago and did not turn into an EA until some short time after that. ...
Wrong. This has been developing as an emotional affair for a long time, certainly for more than a year, and probably since very shortly after they began corresponding. She was allowing him to meet emotional needs of hers via this correspondence. That is the very definition of an emotional affair. That's how the vast majority of affairs start. You need to understand this. Your wife does not understand it, and that poses a very great danger that she'll fail to take the necessary steps to prevent resumption of contact & prevent the sort of behavior that leads to emotional affairs, which in turn lead to physical affairs.

She needs to be off Facebook altogether; or else you need to have a joint account.

...My W was able to engage in the affair because I have always been good about giving her time to herself because the kids stress her out. So, most Fridays or all day Saturday I would let her go off by herself to relieve stress. ...
How was that a "good" thing? Married couples don't improve their marriages by spending so much of their their discretionary time apart. That undermines a marriage. You can't meet the top emotional needs by being apart. Now she's in the habit of getting her needs met by people other than her husband. It will take her time to unlearn her bad habit.

...Some of the things I keep seeing are people suggesting $100 key loggers and GPS tracking units and expensive spy gear basically. I did not know that there were free keyloggers.

My main problem is the iPhone that she has. I have no idea how to get past that and she uses iCloud to back up stuff so there is no local copy and I had not thought to ask her for that pword.
See my previous post about chump-change vs. real money. Divorce lawyers cost real money.

DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
K
K
We are in month (7) of recovery after my wife's (4) month affair. All I can suggest is that you DO have to go to extreme measures that you normally would not even think of in your past relationship when you are knee deep in this mess.

I have safeguards in place STILL today,.. ones my wife is aware of and some she is not unitl I FEEL 99% comfortable that this will never resume again.

Not in your case yet, BUT you know you are making progress when you see the change in your wife's attitude that she wants to assure your safety in regard to no contact with the OM.

My wife at present "welcomes" questions, reassurance and any form of "surveillance" because it only affords her one more opportunity to verify the "word" that she destroyed.

If she complains or questions the reasons or something seems funny, that's because IT IS! Honest spouses have nothing at all to hide and feel a sense of relief to now be honest because they have been so dishonest behind your back when in the affair.

P
P
The OM was a high school crush, she found him on FB 3 years ago

Is this guy married? Who have you exposed this to?

Facebook needs to be de-activated.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

K
K
EP starter for me...

1. Face Book and all social media eliminated FOREVER!! She lost her chance at that BS, plus it is a condition that makes affairs possible.

2. Cell number changed NOW...

3. All electronic communication transparent, emails at home, work ect...

4. She goes NO WHERE alone or without a witness. I still do this today and my wife is fine with it. Wife wishes to go to grocery store when I'm working, either take one of the kids or wait til I can go.

She invited this type of semi "probation" in her life so she should welcome it, maybe with some reluctance, but follow through if she is really done with this POSOM.

Alos like the other posters here...EXPOSURE is nessasary...I personally phoned the other males wife after obtaining all the details. Actually I confronted other male first in attempts to get her cell phone number...Other male told me that he would appreciate me "staying out of it" and that the affair was now between me and him. I told him he bet his fat @$# it was between me and him that is why I was going to be calling his wife pronto. This guy actually said he would rather tell his wife the news in small bits so as not to hurt her all at once.

Hmm..try not having an affair on her and that might help her feelings.

My point you need to expose this and hold those accountable for what they really did....not some watered down version.

L
L
are there keyloggers for the iPhone?

Me: FWH 44
BW: 42
Married 1/2/1993
D-Day: Nov. 2011
In Recovery
Worked with Steve Harley 1:1 in the beginning
Started Online Program with Accountability Coach 1/10/2014
H
H
Plenty if the phone is jailbroken. Aside from that, not so much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation