Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
This is insulting, demeaning, and says he doesn't value what you do.

Being a stay at home parent is a lot harder than people realize that haven't done it. I'm a school teacher and until my wife lost her job, I would be pretty much a stay at home parent during the summers (of course it's nice having paid summers off). Often we don't appreciate what others do until we have to do that.

Oh the word fair. One thing I've learned from teaching is that there isn't a set standard of what fair is or isn't. Basically what is fair for one student may not be fair for another student. And we can get so trapped in the 'poor me'. Is it fair that one of my close friends had a mom that met a wealthy guy, married him, they moved to Hawaii, and left him a paid off house, a new truck, a boat, and nearly a six figure yearly spending allowance? Is it fair that someone less qualified than me was hired for the position I want to be working in because the other guy was friends with the hiring administration? However, does it really matter if any of that is fair? And does it do me any good to dwell? Nope.

He wants a room mate. This is not how marriage works.

I'm pretty sure your desire for romance is normal. Just like your desire to want to have a connection with your spouse and be intertwined completely in each others lives.

Don't get me wrong, I like playing beer pong sometimes and other times going to the shooting range and every once in awhile jamming out with my guy friends. I like my times when I can veg and zone out on a video game or not being distracted in the weight room. But my wife is my best friend, and the one that I want to spend the majority of my time with. Going somewhere with her and engaging in recreational activities or just curled up on the couch watching a movie with her I'd pick to do over anything else. When you're in love...like intimate, romantic love, you crave the other so deeply. We've been married 10 years and together for 13 years. And she still drives me absolutely crazy...just like she did the first time I saw her in those tight jeans and long brown hair flowing to her waist.

No, he doesn't value what I do, even though it's something we agreed to. But he is at least intellectually aware of how difficult it is. It isn't uncommon that he takes the kids so that I can work a couple of hours a day from home and bring in some income, during this time he frequently loses it. The crying and screaming is unbearable to him. He expects me to stop working and help him out, and if I don't, he will loudly complain that my job is worthless and isn't worth his time. That in that case, my having a job is unfair to him because now he has to take the kids! I will say he isn't like this as much anymore, but if my working and him having the kids inconveniences him, the suddenly it's my working(not NOT working) that is problematic.

I agree on your idea of fair, and I do think he wants a roommate. He told me long ago that his ideal woman would be waiting home for him in bed when he got home early in the morning from entertaining. And honestly, no one who superficially knows him could ever guess him to say that. It's even hard for me to believe sometimes. His FC is very high, and yet, I still believe a big part of him wants me to be the anchor at home while he goes out and off and does whatever he decides to in life(which he doesn't and hasn't during our marriage). I just think it's what he think he'd prefer. Furthermore, I need to do this smiling and content with whatever he decides I deserve in return. In this way, he can seem so cold, but oftentimes he is such a caring person. He witnessed mostly roommate marriages growing up, and while he will tell you that he hated it, perhaps he feels safe with the familiarity and incapable of offering more. He laughed when I told him I wanted a best friend in him years ago.

Where does this leave me? The cyclical nature of our relationship is maddening. He was reading HNHN last week and we were doing great, and this week has decided that it's boring and time wasting. This is typical. He is bored very easily. He actually said that romance is for new relationships and that relationships are exciting because they are new, but there is nothing exciting about talking to the same person all the time, particularly since he already knows everything about me and sees me all the time. This is why he wants me to go away for awhile. Then maybe I'll be interesting to him again. What can I do beyond what I'm doing?

Last edited by teetering; 01/16/13 12:36 PM.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

L
L
teetering, my H was a little like yours. he was raised by a SAHM, and enjoys the benefits of one - tidy house, a "real" dinner made, all his business tended to. however, he *also* wants the comfortable lifestyle from our second income, and has always felt that married SAH-women basically were leeches (ugh - where do they get this idea from?? this really bugged me, as i have worked ever since i was 16, except for the first two years after i had dd - and then i worked from home). it did not seem to occur to him that he was raised by a *single* SAHM (dad died when he was 5), who was supported by a benefit (widow's pension) so she could raise the kids, and no male role model to see how the other half worked. it seemed to me like a whole lot of "i want the best of both worlds, and *you* have to do all the hard work and make it happen." it used to really piss me off, and we would argue over it a *lot.*

it took a while (this was years ago) for me to demonstrate how i could a) be a SAHM or b) work full time, but that i was *not* able to do both. (i know many women do, and my hat's off to them. i can't do it.) so we found compromises. when we lived stateside, i taught evening classes so i could have my days free. i have a weekly cleaner. he helps out a lot with the daily stuff (dinner, dishes, etc).

what it came down to was communicating our needs in a MB way, and coming up with *solutions.* i think your H is in the not-ready-for-MB state. so what it comes down to is this: you either need to be able to wake him up from this self-centered thinking or go into plan b. if he is refusing to meet your ENs, dr harley recommends plan b. what do you think?

before i sign off - where do we stand in wayward land here? is there an OP?

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Letty
teetering, my H was a little like yours. he was raised by a SAHM, and enjoys the benefits of one - tidy house, a "real" dinner made, all his business tended to. however, he *also* wants the comfortable lifestyle from our second income, and has always felt that married SAH-women basically were leeches (ugh - where do they get this idea from?? this really bugged me, as i have worked ever since i was 16, except for the first two years after i had dd - and then i worked from home). it did not seem to occur to him that he was raised by a *single* SAHM (dad died when he was 5), who was supported by a benefit (widow's pension) so she could raise the kids, and no male role model to see how the other half worked. it seemed to me like a whole lot of "i want the best of both worlds, and *you* have to do all the hard work and make it happen." it used to really piss me off, and we would argue over it a *lot.*

it took a while (this was years ago) for me to demonstrate how i could a) be a SAHM or b) work full time, but that i was *not* able to do both. (i know many women do, and my hat's off to them. i can't do it.) so we found compromises. when we lived stateside, i taught evening classes so i could have my days free. i have a weekly cleaner. he helps out a lot with the daily stuff (dinner, dishes, etc).

what it came down to was communicating our needs in a MB way, and coming up with *solutions.* i think your H is in the not-ready-for-MB state. so what it comes down to is this: you either need to be able to wake him up from this self-centered thinking or go into plan b. if he is refusing to meet your ENs, dr harley recommends plan b. what do you think?

before i sign off - where do we stand in wayward land here? is there an OP?
Hi there! Your past situation is remarkably similar to mine. In my husband's and my case, there are some cultural differences that are also contributing to these issues. It's boiling down to expectations not being met.

We hardly spoke at all today. Usually we speak throughout the day superficially. He came to me after work and offered to watch MB videos on Youtube. I'd be excited if it weren't for the fact that this type of thing is also typical. My challenge may be to keep things new and exciting for him, because for him, if it aint shiny, it aint happening.

Plan B seems implausible because I have no family nearby and no ability at this moment to support my own household. What are some things others have done in this situation? He is certainly trying to convince me that my needs are ridiculous.

As for waywardness, I'm not inclined to believe he's had any affair. My husband's always been detached as much, his behavior is not new. I've never had an affair of any kind. We have our passwords to online sites saved now thanks to some suggestions on here and we've always shared a cell and a car. It's a rare year when we go somewhere overnight without the other, even one night. I can only think of a handful of times in our marriage. I feel mostly secure as far as fidelity is concerned.

Last edited by teetering; 01/16/13 08:15 PM.

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

L
L
have you checked out the link mel just posted about the video series for HNHN? i'm sure it would be helpful to you, especially if he's willing to do video.

fBW 49
xWH 55
DD 22
DDay 6/07
D 8/15
Letting Go
T
OP Offline
T
Not just yet. Headed there now. smile

Married 7 years
In our early 30s
2 kiddos

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 90 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation