Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
B
B
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Are you attending AlAnon meetings?

I attended weekly alanon meetings for about a year but have not gone for about a year now. Mostly because schedule didnt work. Ill try going back.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

Ill do this.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by optimism
Originally Posted by Sbt
Regarding one of your question about what I've done with MB... I've read SAA, LB and FILSIL books by Harley. I've also used Steve Harley via phone counseling for several months back when trying to deal with her A and exposure, etc. Also tried to implement POJA, POUA, PORH. We also each filled out our EN assessment. Working with Steve we were to each discuss our needs with the other. It was at this point that she declared she was tired of Steve treating her like she was in grade school and stopped working on these things with me. Independently I've tried to eliminate LBs as much as possible and make LB deposits. I found that difficult when she had told me she was completed "closed off to me" and me "being home" is considered a LB by her.
SBT, I think you've mentioned these things in the past, sorry if I ask the same questions.
We all know that MB doesn't "work" with people actively addicted, right? I believe Dr. Harley states that the addiction tends to trump efforts to build a relationship for most addicts.
So that leads us back to the Plan B/legal separation argument.
If you can't implement separation before it is somehow mandated in the Divorce Decree, then you may have to wait until the divorce is final, she is on her own, and she hits rock bottom (hopefully not bringing the whole brood with her). Then she MIGHT be interested in working with you towards the dream of an intact family.

I still say that listening to the radio show (and perhaps going through some of this at least by email to Dr. Bill and Joyce) would be tremendously beneficial to you.

opt

Ill send an email.

I honestly don't see how there is any recovery anymore. She's had multiple As, is trying to drive me out if our kids lives, doesn't think she has an alcohol problem and is extremely angry towards me...and blames me for all of it including the As. I'd love for there to be some hope but I don't see it now. Even after going dark.

J
J
Well in AlAnon they would say "that's the disease talking and acting" when she does that.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well in AlAnon they would say "that's the disease talking and acting" when she does that.

Yes. I believe almost everything that has happened in the last few years is tied to drugs and alcohol. The mood swings, violence, other men, hostility towards me, etc. That makes this even harder for me to deal with because I hold out hope that "if she could just stop" maybe things could change for the better. I've actually had thoughts that maybe if I would drink with her maybe she wouldn't be so hostile towards me. I haven't and won't but the thought has occurred to me.

L
L
Almost all addicts eventually cheat. Their behavior and the choices they make to continue their addiction(s) end up causing so many problems. They can't deal with or face the problems, so they continue to escape with their addiction(s). We see how their choices and behaviors are destroying everyone that loves them, but they are in a denial, fantasy fog and are just aliens. You don't want to go down that road of drinking or not facing and dealing with problems. It never helps, does it? Like they say here, "Hope is not a plan." You can't control her into making any decision she doesn't want to make. So, that means you can only control the choices you make to move forward. It is you and the kids now. Begin your own traditions and go down your own road. Give them the love, acceptance and security they need. You are their rock now. You are doing so well. I am sorry that you are having to go through this hardship. You WILL be stronger for having made it to the other side. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!"

BS Me 47,WH 49
DS's x3 17, 10, 7
Multiple D-Days
No disclosure by WH. No EP's, no transparency, no guilt or remorse either.
Plan C DOES NOT WORK!
S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Littlebit3
Almost all addicts eventually cheat. Their behavior and the choices they make to continue their addiction(s) end up causing so many problems. They can't deal with or face the problems, so they continue to escape with their addiction(s). We see how their choices and behaviors are destroying everyone that loves them, but they are in a denial, fantasy fog and are just aliens. You don't want to go down that road of drinking or not facing and dealing with problems. It never helps, does it? Like they say here, "Hope is not a plan." You can't control her into making any decision she doesn't want to make. So, that means you can only control the choices you make to move forward. It is you and the kids now. Begin your own traditions and go down your own road. Give them the love, acceptance and security they need. You are their rock now. You are doing so well. I am sorry that you are having to go through this hardship. You WILL be stronger for having made it to the other side. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!"

Thanks. I know not to start drinking with her. I do, however, raise it as an example of how sick these situations can become. I didn't grow up around nor know any alcoholics yet the thought has occurred to me that I may be able to relate better to my wife if I don't appear to be the one threatening her drinking and actually were to join her on occasion. Ill nebr do that but I think you get the point. Because of my stance on drinking, from her perspective, I'm the enemy, therefore she's going to hurt me as much as possible.

I'm trying to be there for my kids. I hope the judge sees what I see and she doesn't succeed in ripping our kids from their father.

Last edited by Sbt; 03/09/13 10:12 PM.
J
J
I understand what you mean by how sick these situations become.
AlAnon teaches that our thinking actually becomes insane when living with an active alcoholic.

J
J
Remember even If she wins this round it is important that you remain a rock for your kids.
She has a progressive disease and she WILL get worse.
Custody can be changed based on such circumstances

K
K
Exactly. Write down everything she does (as it relates to kids and custody) and at some point you will be able to wrangle more from her.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
P
P
AlAnon teaches that our thinking actually becomes insane when living with an active alcoholic.

"Insane" = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Pepperband

"Insane" = doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Yes. I think about this often. I go through waves of being very angry and hating her for all she has done. Drugs, alcohol, numerous other men, constant lying, driving a wedge between me and the kids, misrepresenting everything in court to make me appear to be the bad guy, and on and on. I don't know why I want a relationship with her. Except that I made that commitment when I married her...that I would stick with her no matter how bad things might get. I believe in that and it pulls me back from the anger. But, unfortunately, nothing changes, as you said.

Last edited by Sbt; 03/10/13 11:13 AM.
O
O
Except that I made that commitment when I married her...that I would stick with her no matter how bad things might get.
If you are speaking of "unconditional love," let me point out that Dr. H holds this as extremely destructive to relationships/marriages. It was mentioned on yet another radio show just last week.
opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

P
P
Originally Posted by Sbt
Except that I made that commitment when I married her...that I would stick with her no matter how bad things might get. I believe in that and it pulls me back from the anger. But, unfortunately, nothing changes, as you said.

Nothing changes because you do not understand that you need to change yourself.
You keep waiting for the drunk to grow & learn.
That IS insane.

S
Sbt Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm not speaking of unconditional love. I don't love who she has become. I do love certain things about her. I'm speaking about a commitment to another person to work through things together...eventually to restore love. I guess I'm saying I don't believe divorce is the answer. But that's not my choice. She chose this path.

J
J
But you can't work through things when a disease controls her

O
O
Originally Posted by Sbt
I'm not speaking of unconditional love. I don't love who she has become. I do love certain things about her. I'm speaking about a commitment to another person to work through things together...eventually to restore love. I guess I'm saying I don't believe divorce is the answer. But that's not my choice. She chose this path.

Okay, I'm with you.
So we're back to Plan B/Legal Separation prior to divorce. This way you have a chance to restore the love in your marriage (through the commitment you made to her - through sickness and health).
The plan is all here. Dr. Harley's plans and MB has saved marriages in worse shape than yours.
See what they say -- write to the program today. smile

opt

Me: 43 y.o. BFWH, D-day 11/11/09 (NC since 9/01)
Divorce from WW final 9/16/10.
Current Status: MB-based Marriage to Nature Girl 12/8/12 (first date on 12/11/10)
Mine: S(16), D(11)
NatureGirls: S(23), D(21)
Another EA Story
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 433 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation