Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2711919 03/11/13 11:03 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I've taken some very brave steps lately to stand my ground and to draw better boundaries with my xh, and tonight I felt I needed a place to express that, so here goes.

I've found my own progress since the divorce has taken a great deal of time and has happened in small increments. When we first divorced, I was adamant that it would be an amicable divorce and that we would still be friends for the sake of our children especially.

However, since the divorce, I've continued to be faced with information that affects me and my children: financial surprises, his lifestyle choices, etc. Also, I've discovered along the way that I've continued to be a crutch and to save the xh from himself. I've carried him in many ways, even since the divorce. I've continued to look out for him.

Lately, I've been drawing better boundaries. It was difficult for me to give up knowing what was going on in his life, for example, but since I cut off contact except as it relates to the kids, I feel much better. I don't feel sorry for him for the messes he's made in his life, and I don't clean up after him anymore.

One example: I just discovered, among a host of other financial messes he's created for me, that he had two credit cards in my name that are showing on my credit record. I knew nothing of these accounts and did not have the cards. I called the companies and asked them to remove me from the accounts and was told they couldn't do that. They said the only way to remove myself was to cancel the accounts. In the past, I would not have done this to him, knowing it would inconvenience him and worrying that he needed them. Today, I cancelled them and texted him that I'd done so. He was livid, but I felt fine about it.

Another example: he had an item that was a family heirloom from my ancestors, which he had refused to return at the divorce. I didn't want to fight over it, but after the divorce, it seemed a huge mistake to let him keep it. I asked him for it, he refused again. But, instead of giving up as I would have previously done, I continued to insist he give it back. Finally, he did.

Progress.

I'm surprised by how hard it has been to cut these ties and behaviors, but it's making me more healthy. I feel the relief with each boundary I draw and each time I stand my ground. I feel my spirit returning, and though it may anger him quite a bit, it feels really good to me.

Me: BS 53
XWH: 54, too many infidelities, too many lies. D final 3/12.
4 children, 1 is a minor.

First post years ago: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/u...1028#Post451028

First post this year, now that I'm done: http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2572288#Post2572288
B
B
Good for you.

Have you thought about getting into a proper Plan B?
How to Plan B Correctly

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
A
I've had a hard time creating boundaries too. I think it does make you feel better though...I'm getting much better at it too! I know it's got to be the best thing to move on!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 260 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation