Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
I agree that conflict causes health problems. It is why I found myself getting so upset when I let down my barrier with wxh a few months back. I feel no distress now though when I keep things strictly business.

I think you are just so used to being in an unhealthy place mentally that it has become a way of life. I seriously wonder if you aren't addicted to the man and just can't let go. Despite enormous tension and despair with this man, you cling to him as if you were clinging to a life raft.

This is a man who made you so sick that you were having bad dreams just a couple of months ago. He has been your worst nightmare so I don't believe it doesn't affect your mental and physical health. It clearly HAS according to your posts.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
I agree that conflict causes health problems. It is why I found myself getting so upset when I let down my barrier with wxh a few months back. I feel no distress now though when I keep things strictly business.

There is no barrier. You are still in touch with him. A barrier would be to cut off contact entirely.

But I predict you will fight cutting him out with all your life. I honestly don't think I have EVER seen a BS that clinged to her XWH with such tenacity. You can't seem to let him go.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

There is no barrier. You are still in touch with him. A barrier would be to cut off contact entirely.

But I predict you will fight cutting him out with all your life. I honestly don't think I have EVER seen a BS that clinged to her XWH with such tenacity. You can't seem to let him go.

LOL. I don't think texting, 'meet you at Wal-Mart at 5:15 for drop off of ds13' or sending an email with a copy of his test scores is 'clinging to him with tenacity.'

And I don't have to 'fight' anyone about how I handle my XH. It works fine for me.

Last edited by SmilingWoman; 03/25/13 02:50 PM.
S
S
When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

It sounds like the reason he would be upset is because he knows there is tension or a conflict between the two of you.

Plan B/PP would avoid this altogether and has, in fact, in my case. From my Parallel Parenting in Plan B post:

Originally Posted by SusieQ
* In studies, the biggest contributing factor to how well children coped was if they were subjected to conflict - not if the parents were communicating or coparenting.

* Conflict does not just mean actively arguing. It means applies to parents' body language, mood, tone, posture, etc. So for example, if there was face to face contact between the parents during a dropoff, if either parent was visibly upset, stressed, etc, even afterwards and the child saw it - then it just be better to have no contact at all.

My kids don't question or know anything about my interaction with their father. And they are doing very well!

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2715190 03/25/13 02:59 PM
S
S
When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

It sounds like the reason he would be upset is because he knows there is tension or a conflict between the two of you.

True. Now that there is no tension ds13 is much happier.

Plan B/PP would avoid this altogether and has, in fact, in my case.
My kids don't question or know anything about my interaction with their father. And they are doing very well!

That is great Susie. Glad they are doing so well. My ds13 is doing great too.

M
M
And I don't have to 'fight' anyone about how I handle my XH. It works fine for me.

But, you do. You protect your contact with him tenaciously. It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago. Frankly, I wonder how anyone can maintain their mental health this way. That is like the rape victim staying in touch with the rapist. I don't see how that is healthy for you or your son.

Exposure 101

S
S

I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

SW, if you want to remain in contact with your ex, that's fine with me. I am not going to argue with you.

What I do take issue with is when you write something like the above to a poster who is getting advice regarding still struggling with triggering/stressful communications, it reads as a dig to those of us who are in Plan B or using PP.

Again, I am not sure what your purpose in writing what you wrote was if not to encourage the OP to just "learn" to be civil with her ex.

As you have admitted yourself, this hasn't been easy for you, your son HAS BEEN subjected to conflict, and you have a 30+ (?) page thread regarding communications with your xH. So to me at least, your advice to this OP seems somewhat stilted, not to mention it is not consistent with what Dr H advises for divorced folks in this OP's situation.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
S
S

But, you do. You protect your contact with him tenaciously. It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago. Frankly, I wonder how anyone can maintain their mental health this way. That is like the rape victim staying in touch with the rapist. I don't see how that is healthy for you or your son.

I replied to a poster. The rest of this thread has been to attack me and to attempt to prove to me that being civil is not working for me. Since I feel fine, my ds is fine and neither of us are stressed out I naturally want to correct a post that says I am NOT doing well.

If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people. And I have repeatedly said I see the merits of limiting contact to strictly business...but unless I say, 'Plan B is the only way!' I get attacked.

>>It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago.>>

I wasn't being just civil, or business only, a few months ago. And I agreed I wasn't doing well, so I went back to being civil and business only. I am not sure what is so confusing about that. I agree that letting him suck me into a conversation is harmful to me. So I don't allow that.

SusieQ #2715232 03/25/13 04:36 PM
S
S
I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

SW, if you want to remain in contact with your ex, that's fine with me. I am not going to argue with you.

What I do take issue with is when you write something like the above to a poster who is getting advice regarding still struggling with triggering/stressful communications, it reads as a dig to those of us who are in Plan B or using PP.

Again, I am not sure what your purpose in writing what you wrote was if not to encourage the OP to just "learn" to be civil with her ex.

As you have admitted yourself, this hasn't been easy for you, your son HAS BEEN subjected to conflict, and you have a 30+ (?) page thread regarding communications with your xH. So to me at least, your advice to this OP seems somewhat stilted, not to mention it is not consistent with what Dr H advises for divorced folks in this OP's situation.

My purpose was to encourage the OP. It wasn't to encourage her to try and be civil. In a later post I clarified what *I* mean by being civil...a text on drop off or pick up day to verify time and place. An email to show XH dh's grades or results of doctor visits. I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

M
M
I replied to a poster. The rest of this thread has been to attack me and to attempt to prove to me that being civil is not working for me. Since I feel fine, my ds is fine and neither of us are stressed out I naturally want to correct a post that says I am NOT doing well.

No one has "attacked" you, only pointed out that your own method doesn't even work for you. As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

When you post things like this it really makes me wonder if you want to put others through the same unnecessary hell you have subjected yourself to all these years. All anyone has to do is go read your tons of posts about the unpleasant dealings with your husband over the years. And the endless "reasons" why you can't go into Plan B.

I will make sure that posters understand how badly this has worked for you and that there is a better way. I do that because I really care for the people who come here.

Exposure 101

M
M
I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

That kind of contact is in conflict with Dr Harley's advice when it is clear that a person should be in Plan B. They can avoid all the hostile, stressful interaction you have endured for years. I will point them to your 30 page thread going back years that documents all the hostility.

Completely unnecessary, by the way.

Exposure 101

S
S

No one has "attacked" you, only pointed out that your own method doesn't even work for you. As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

When you post things like this it really makes me wonder if you want to put others through the same unnecessary hell you have subjected yourself to all these years. All anyone has to do is go read your tons of posts about the unpleasant dealings with your husband over the years. And the endless "reasons" why you can't go into Plan B.

I will make sure that posters understand how badly this has worked for you and that there is a better way. I do that because I really care for the people who come here.

And that is why I respond...because you make false claims about MY life. You are taking what was going on in my life when I was still engaging in conversations and arguments and fights with him and trying to say 'see being civil doesn't work.' When I stopped arguing with him and when I stopped having chit chat conversations with him (became business only and civil) it does work.

As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

I am not recommending stressed out posters don't go in to Plan B. I agree that less contact is better...and if any poster thinks they need Plan B I fully support that.

S
S
I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

That kind of contact is in conflict with Dr Harley's advice when it is clear that a person should be in Plan B. They can avoid all the hostile, stressful interaction you have endured for years. I will point them to your 30 page thread going back years that documents all the hostility.

Completely unnecessary, by the way.

I haven't endured years of hostility. My 30 page thread doesn't document years. I was remarried with a year of being divorced and by then I had learned to stop interacting with him in a way that caused me stress. Lots of good advice on this board helped me get to the point where I didn't get engaged in conversations that harmed me.

M
M
And that is why I respond...because you make false claims about MY life. You are taking what was going on in my life when I was still engaging in conversations and arguments and fights with him and trying to say 'see being civil doesn't work.' When I stopped arguing with him and when I stopped having chit chat conversations with him (became business only and civil) it does work.

Yes, being "civil" doesn't work because you have no control over your husband. You have proven that yourself. No one said anything "false" about you. I simply posted your own quotes. We can see how it has worked out for you. If you want to spin it that is fine. But everyone can see how horrible it has been for you all these years.

Have you ever considered why you have this need to hang onto your XH so badly?

Exposure 101

B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
I found an excellent radio clip from Dr. Harley of why it's a good idea to go into Plan B after divorce. Tell me what you think.
Radio clip on Plan B after Divorce at 5:25 mark

How is posting Dr. Harley's advice/concepts/plans attacking you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
[

I haven't endured years of hostility. My 30 page thread doesn't document years. I was remarried with a year of being divorced and by then I had learned to stop interacting with him in a way that caused me stress. Lots of good advice on this board helped me get to the point where I didn't get engaged in conversations that harmed me.

We have your posts from 3 months ago that show this to be false. Shall I post them again? You were advised to go into Plan B years ago and you ignored that advice. Hence, posts like this:

Originally Posted by Smilingwoman on 1-4-2013
I had an enraging text conversation with wxh Tuesday of this week. He sucks me into conversation with questions about my childhood friends. seems rude and petty to not answere but it so often turns into his opportunity to bash me in so e way.

So it fueled my desire to severely restrict contact with him. Going back to the advise of 5 words or less.

It is a flip I have to switch in my own mind...that communication beyond the absolute necessary is toxic to me because he is not safe for me. I feel much better after reminding myself of this. I got so much support and encouragement and advice in this thread 2-3 years ago. It was really a lifesaver then and now.

Originally Posted by Smilingwoman on 12/27/12
When I moved ds12 out of state, I had to tread very carefully with WXH so that he didn't go filing papers with the court and cause a big bunch of problems. This resulted in more chit chat with him and I can really tell it affects me. Ugh. I've been having horrible dreams lately and feeling that rage well back up.

Exposure 101

S
S

Yes, being "civil" doesn't work because you have no control over your husband. You have proven that yourself. No one said anything "false" about you. I simply posted your own quotes. We can see how it has worked out for you. If you want to spin it that is fine. But everyone can see how horrible it has been for you all these years.

Have you ever considered why you have this need to hang onto your XH so badly?

You keep claiming being civil isn't working for me...then you give examples of my life when I was NOT being just civil...THAT is spinning.

I text XH pick up drop off details. Give him education and health information as it comes up. We will just have to disagree that indicates I 'have a need to hang on to him so badly.'

M
M
[

We have your posts from 3 months ago that show this to be false. Shall I post them again? You were advised to go into Plan B years ago and you ignored that advice. Hence, posts like this:

I had an enraging text conversation with wxh Tuesday of this week. He sucks me into conversation with questions about my childhood friends. seems rude and petty to not answere but it so often turns into his opportunity to bash me in so e way.

So it fueled my desire to severely restrict contact with him. Going back to the advise of 5 words or less.

It is a flip I have to switch in my own mind...that communication beyond the absolute necessary is toxic to me because he is not safe for me. I feel much better after reminding myself of this. I got so much support and encouragement and advice in this thread 2-3 years ago. It was really a lifesaver then and now.

When I moved ds12 out of state, I had to tread very carefully with WXH so that he didn't go filing papers with the court and cause a big bunch of problems. This resulted in more chit chat with him and I can really tell it affects me. Ugh. I've been having horrible dreams lately and feeling that rage well back up.

Fyi, I don't see Susie, indiegirl, reading, or Scotland making posts like this. You might want to consider that.

Exposure 101

M
M
You keep claiming being civil isn't working for me...then you give examples of my life when I was NOT being just civil...THAT is spinning.

I gave examples of your EX-HUSBAND not being civil. You have no control over that. Never have, never will. So, of course, it doesn't work for you. You posted the evidence.

I text XH pick up drop off details. Give him education and health information as it comes up. We will just have to disagree that indicates I 'have a need to hang on to him so badly.'

Then why won't you let that long dead corpse go? Why are you hanging on for dear life?

Exposure 101

S
S
[

Ok, thank you for looking all that up and summing up what I've already said several times in this thread. I went out of minimum contact while attempting to avoid going to court and went BACK to minimum contact when I saw how it was harmful to me. And as I have said repeated, mimimum contact works for me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,121 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation