Marriage Builders
Posted By: Kendall808 Serial Cheaters - 03/22/13 11:40 PM
Hi All...

Just want some input. I've been divorced for 3 years. Not by my choice...
He met soul mate "number 5" and moved out...

But as I am starting to rebuild my life and review my past
marriage... I was wondering what I can learn from this experience. It is
easy just to blame other party... And heck with 5 confirmed who would blame me for the easy out... And say it is all his fault

However, the experience has truly scarred me. I am terrified to even date etc... Because of the experience...I worry if my picker is broken... Any thoughts ... Anyone been in this situation ?

Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/23/13 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Kendall808
Hi All...

easy just to blame other party... And heck with 5 confirmed who would blame me for the easy out... And say it is all his fault

However, the experience has truly scarred me. I am terrified to even date etc... Because of the experience...I worry if my picker is broken... Any thoughts ... Anyone been in this situation ?
Definitely educate yourself.

That's the best way to educate your picker.

Get the book "Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders" it is an excellent resource.

Read this until you get the book.
Buyers, Renters and Freeloaders
Posted By: Kendall808 Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/23/13 01:17 AM
Thanks so much... I love this site... Only wish I had found it years ago
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/23/13 02:34 PM
However, the experience has truly scarred me. I am terrified to even date etc...

Hi Kendall, I don't have a lot of time now....there's more I would like to say but I will come back later.

Quickly wanted to ask: I saw you started a thread late last year re the problems you were having with xWH and you were advised to go into Plan B so that you could really begin healing. What happened with that?

You may ask, what does this have to do with the questions I asked in this thread?

I don't think you will do well dating if you are still dealing with constant tense communications and triggering. I actually have a very good friend who D'd her WH over five years ago (he ended up marrying the OW) and she has never dated, partially I believe because she stuck because she has remained in contact (only email) with her ex.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/24/13 10:56 PM
Hi All...

It is good to work on your picker before venturing back into the dating world. I was married to a serial cheater too....oddly enough I was not afraid to date and I ended up with a great man. I made a list of qualities and I only decided to marry my current dh when he met those conditions.

I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by SmilingWoman
I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship.

Originally Posted by Smilingwoman on 1-4-2013
I had an enraging text conversation with wxh Tuesday of this week. He sucks me into conversation with questions about my childhood friends. seems rude and petty to not answere but it so often turns into his opportunity to bash me in so e way.

So it fueled my desire to severely restrict contact with him. Going back to the advise of 5 words or less.
here

It is a flip I have to switch in my own mind...that communication beyond the absolute necessary is toxic to me because he is not safe for me. I feel much better after reminding myself of this. I got so much support and encouragement and advice in this thread 2-3 years ago. It was really a lifesaver then and now.

People that wisely go into Plan B avoid all this toxic interaction and have much better mental health.

Be honest, are you addicted to your XH and this is why you hang on so tight? I just see a woman who has avoided Plan B all these years because she is desperately hanging onto a long dead corpse. Why would you choose to live like this? It is so unnecessary.

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 12:14 AM

Kendall, I agree 100% with Susie about Plan B. You will find a great difference in your mental health if you go into Plan B. I am the intermediary for 2 such women and the peace of mind and positive outlook they get from Plan B is immense. They are like different women. I am divorced from my XH and since in Plan B, it is like a black cloud lifted from my skies.

And just think, if you go into Plan B you can avoid the type of toxic interactions SmilingWoman described in her recent posts.

As far as your picker, you can get enormous support from this forum when it comes to dating.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 12:16 AM
we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

This type of statement makes it sound as if the BS needs to "rise above it" and have a goal to be civil to their xWS. I don't know if that's what you meant but.....
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 12:23 AM
I never went plan b with my xh...we have a civil relationship. I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

SW, I went back and read Kendall's first thread. Here's what she said:

However, I do think ending ALL contact with EX is vital for my mental health...So I have started not to respond to any phone calls, text messages, etc.. that he sends me

But she never came back to update us on what she ended up doing with parallel parenting/Plan B. She is not civil with her ex.

Kendall, just so that you know this is very normal for a BS. I recently spoke to Dr Harley and told him that I was experiencing stress due to tense communications with xWH and that I started to use an IM (even though now we use an email system recommended to us by the judge) and he emphatically told me he fully agreed with that course of action (use of an IM).
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Smilingwoman on 12/27/12
When I moved ds12 out of state, I had to tread very carefully with WXH so that he didn't go filing papers with the court and cause a big bunch of problems. This resulted in more chit chat with him and I can really tell it affects me. Ugh. I've been having horrible dreams lately and feeling that rage well back up.
here

This is what you want for Kendall?
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 03:39 PM
I found an excellent radio clip from Dr. Harley of why it's a good idea to go into Plan B after divorce. Tell me what you think.
Radio clip on Plan B after Divorce at 5:25 mark
Posted By: Gamma Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 04:54 PM
Kendall,

BTW did you ever expose the OW your WH was seeing, part of the way you fight evil is to do good, do this by informing the OWHs.

God Bless
Gamma
Posted By: Scotland Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 05:14 PM
Kendall, Plan B will most definitely help you with your healing and your ability to be able to weed through the trash when you are fully ready to date. Of course you are going to be gunshy out of the gate, we'd have to have a different talk with you if you weren't, but you will have the BEST chance at finding someone who really suits you, at the right time, if you allow yourself to heal fully.

I have 2 boys myself, and I haven't spoken or seen my WH in 3 years. Guess what, the kids understand the reasons behind it, and they see that I do this to enforce MY boundaries, and they will hopefully learn to enforce boundaries themselves when they get older.

I would strongly suggest Plan B, as a person who has seen the benefits firsthand.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 05:43 PM
I would love to never see or speak to him again but we have a child together and our ds13 does MUCH better when his dad and I can be civil.

If you have never been in Plan B or done PP, then you don't know how ds13 would do if you just eliminated the tension/problems that come from trying to force a "civil" relationship, SW.

This is not just "Plan B" thing. Have you read my parallel parenting post? They discussed this at length in my divorcing parenting class that you are required to take in my state -- they don't encourage forcing a civil relationship at all and the studies back this up. Keep in mind that this advice was for regular divorcing folks -- not even taking into consideration all the emotions/triggers that are involved when one spouse engaged in an affair and is still with the OP following D.

Originally Posted by Scotland
Guess what, the kids understand the reasons behind it, and they see that I do this to enforce MY boundaries, and they will hopefully learn to enforce boundaries themselves when they get older.

My children like Scotland's understand my boundaries with xWH and have NEVER expressed a desire for me to "have a civil relationship" with their father. Parallel parenting has had NO NEGATIVE effects on them whatsoever. In fact, I think the fact that they are doing as well as they are is attributed to the fact that Plan B/PP has helped me be as whole and emotionally healthy as I could be under the circumstances!
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 05:52 PM
kendall, one other thing...

How old is your DD?

In case you didn't know... Dr Harley did a radio show where he encourages single mothers of young children to stay single until the children are "grown".

The reasons that he cites is that blended families have a very high rate of problems/divorce and he basically says that you could be introducing a whole set of new problems to your situation.

I don't want to discourage you from dating though, but having your guard up and taking it slow especially when involving the children I think is a great idea.

Hope you are still with us! smile
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by MelodyLane

I had an enraging text conversation with wxh Tuesday of this week. He sucks me into conversation with questions about my childhood friends. seems rude and petty to not answere but it so often turns into his opportunity to bash me in so e way.

So it fueled my desire to severely restrict contact with him. Going back to the advise of 5 words or less.
here

It is a flip I have to switch in my own mind...that communication beyond the absolute necessary is toxic to me because he is not safe for me. I feel much better after reminding myself of this. I got so much support and encouragement and advice in this thread 2-3 years ago. It was really a lifesaver then and now.

People that wisely go into Plan B avoid all this toxic interaction and have much better mental health.

Be honest, are you addicted to your XH and this is why you hang on so tight? I just see a woman who has avoided Plan B all these years because she is desperately hanging onto a long dead corpse. Why would you choose to live like this? It is so unnecessary.

There seems to be some confusion on what I am referring to as civil. When I say I have a civil relationship it means I can communicate drop off pick up details, what the doctor had to say about our son, what his grades are etc. via email or text. And we can say hello and goodbye at drop off and pick ups. Toward the end of last year I had gotten lax on keeping the conversations civil he had sucked me into a few conversations and that does cause distress to me. When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

Wxh and I are not friends and we never will be. But there are many many people that I don't wish to be friends with that I can carry on necessary business.

Posted By: Jedi_Knight Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by SusieQ
kendall, one other thing...

How old is your DD?

In case you didn't know... Dr Harley did a radio show where he encourages single mothers of young children to stay single until the children are "grown".

The reasons that he cites is that blended families have a very high rate of problems/divorce and he basically says that you could be introducing a whole set of new problems to your situation.

I don't want to discourage you from dating though, but having your guard up and taking it slow especially when involving the children I think is a great idea.

Hope you are still with us! smile

What would be the purpose of dating?
If you met someone that was meeting emotional needs you would fall in love with the person.
If the intent as to remain single until the kids are grown dating isn't really an option
Posted By: Jedi_Knight Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 06:38 PM

here

There seems to be some confusion on what I am referring to as civil. When I say I have a civil relationship it means I can communicate drop off pick up details, what the doctor had to say about our son, what his grades are etc. via email or text. And we can say hello and goodbye at drop off and pick ups. Toward the end of last year I had gotten lax on keeping the conversations civil he had sucked me into a few conversations and that does cause distress to me. When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

Wxh and I are not friends and we never will be. But there are many many people that I don't wish to be friends with that I can carry on necessary business.

Psychologists have studied this issue and found that conflict causes health problems.
I have not seen or spoken to my ex wife since day of divorce.
I'm very glad.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

here

Psychologists have studied this issue and found that conflict causes health problems.
I have not seen or spoken to my ex wife since day of divorce.
I'm very glad.

I agree that conflict causes health problems. It is why I found myself getting so upset when I let down my barrier with wxh a few months back. I feel no distress now though when I keep things strictly business.

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:19 PM
[

As you can see from your own experience, you and your H still get sucked into fights. All of these issues can easily be communicated via an intermediary and you could avoid the trauma.

Going into Plan B would make you a better parent. Your son would do much better if you would just shut it off. That way all the tension would be avoided.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:24 PM
I agree that conflict causes health problems. It is why I found myself getting so upset when I let down my barrier with wxh a few months back. I feel no distress now though when I keep things strictly business.

I think you are just so used to being in an unhealthy place mentally that it has become a way of life. I seriously wonder if you aren't addicted to the man and just can't let go. Despite enormous tension and despair with this man, you cling to him as if you were clinging to a life raft.

This is a man who made you so sick that you were having bad dreams just a couple of months ago. He has been your worst nightmare so I don't believe it doesn't affect your mental and physical health. It clearly HAS according to your posts.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:27 PM

There is no barrier. You are still in touch with him. A barrier would be to cut off contact entirely.

But I predict you will fight cutting him out with all your life. I honestly don't think I have EVER seen a BS that clinged to her XWH with such tenacity. You can't seem to let him go.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:41 PM

There is no barrier. You are still in touch with him. A barrier would be to cut off contact entirely.

But I predict you will fight cutting him out with all your life. I honestly don't think I have EVER seen a BS that clinged to her XWH with such tenacity. You can't seem to let him go.

LOL. I don't think texting, 'meet you at Wal-Mart at 5:15 for drop off of ds13' or sending an email with a copy of his test scores is 'clinging to him with tenacity.'

And I don't have to 'fight' anyone about how I handle my XH. It works fine for me.

Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:52 PM
When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

It sounds like the reason he would be upset is because he knows there is tension or a conflict between the two of you.

Plan B/PP would avoid this altogether and has, in fact, in my case. From my Parallel Parenting in Plan B post:

* In studies, the biggest contributing factor to how well children coped was if they were subjected to conflict - not if the parents were communicating or coparenting.

* Conflict does not just mean actively arguing. It means applies to parents' body language, mood, tone, posture, etc. So for example, if there was face to face contact between the parents during a dropoff, if either parent was visibly upset, stressed, etc, even afterwards and the child saw it - then it just be better to have no contact at all.

My kids don't question or know anything about my interaction with their father. And they are doing very well!
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 07:59 PM
When I say my son does better when we are civil....he has been very upset the few times I've refused to even say a word to wxh.

It sounds like the reason he would be upset is because he knows there is tension or a conflict between the two of you.

True. Now that there is no tension ds13 is much happier.

Plan B/PP would avoid this altogether and has, in fact, in my case.
My kids don't question or know anything about my interaction with their father. And they are doing very well!

That is great Susie. Glad they are doing so well. My ds13 is doing great too.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 08:22 PM
And I don't have to 'fight' anyone about how I handle my XH. It works fine for me.

But, you do. You protect your contact with him tenaciously. It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago. Frankly, I wonder how anyone can maintain their mental health this way. That is like the rape victim staying in touch with the rapist. I don't see how that is healthy for you or your son.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 08:23 PM

SW, if you want to remain in contact with your ex, that's fine with me. I am not going to argue with you.

What I do take issue with is when you write something like the above to a poster who is getting advice regarding still struggling with triggering/stressful communications, it reads as a dig to those of us who are in Plan B or using PP.

Again, I am not sure what your purpose in writing what you wrote was if not to encourage the OP to just "learn" to be civil with her ex.

As you have admitted yourself, this hasn't been easy for you, your son HAS BEEN subjected to conflict, and you have a 30+ (?) page thread regarding communications with your xH. So to me at least, your advice to this OP seems somewhat stilted, not to mention it is not consistent with what Dr H advises for divorced folks in this OP's situation.

Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:28 PM

But, you do. You protect your contact with him tenaciously. It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago. Frankly, I wonder how anyone can maintain their mental health this way. That is like the rape victim staying in touch with the rapist. I don't see how that is healthy for you or your son.

I replied to a poster. The rest of this thread has been to attack me and to attempt to prove to me that being civil is not working for me. Since I feel fine, my ds is fine and neither of us are stressed out I naturally want to correct a post that says I am NOT doing well.

If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people. And I have repeatedly said I see the merits of limiting contact to strictly business...but unless I say, 'Plan B is the only way!' I get attacked.

>>It wasn't working fine for you a couple of months ago.>>

I wasn't being just civil, or business only, a few months ago. And I agreed I wasn't doing well, so I went back to being civil and business only. I am not sure what is so confusing about that. I agree that letting him suck me into a conversation is harmful to me. So I don't allow that.

Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:36 PM

SW, if you want to remain in contact with your ex, that's fine with me. I am not going to argue with you.

What I do take issue with is when you write something like the above to a poster who is getting advice regarding still struggling with triggering/stressful communications, it reads as a dig to those of us who are in Plan B or using PP.

Again, I am not sure what your purpose in writing what you wrote was if not to encourage the OP to just "learn" to be civil with her ex.

As you have admitted yourself, this hasn't been easy for you, your son HAS BEEN subjected to conflict, and you have a 30+ (?) page thread regarding communications with your xH. So to me at least, your advice to this OP seems somewhat stilted, not to mention it is not consistent with what Dr H advises for divorced folks in this OP's situation.

My purpose was to encourage the OP. It wasn't to encourage her to try and be civil. In a later post I clarified what *I* mean by being civil...a text on drop off or pick up day to verify time and place. An email to show XH dh's grades or results of doctor visits. I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:43 PM
I replied to a poster. The rest of this thread has been to attack me and to attempt to prove to me that being civil is not working for me. Since I feel fine, my ds is fine and neither of us are stressed out I naturally want to correct a post that says I am NOT doing well.

No one has "attacked" you, only pointed out that your own method doesn't even work for you. As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

When you post things like this it really makes me wonder if you want to put others through the same unnecessary hell you have subjected yourself to all these years. All anyone has to do is go read your tons of posts about the unpleasant dealings with your husband over the years. And the endless "reasons" why you can't go into Plan B.

I will make sure that posters understand how badly this has worked for you and that there is a better way. I do that because I really care for the people who come here.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:46 PM
I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

That kind of contact is in conflict with Dr Harley's advice when it is clear that a person should be in Plan B. They can avoid all the hostile, stressful interaction you have endured for years. I will point them to your 30 page thread going back years that documents all the hostility.

Completely unnecessary, by the way.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:52 PM

No one has "attacked" you, only pointed out that your own method doesn't even work for you. As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

When you post things like this it really makes me wonder if you want to put others through the same unnecessary hell you have subjected yourself to all these years. All anyone has to do is go read your tons of posts about the unpleasant dealings with your husband over the years. And the endless "reasons" why you can't go into Plan B.

I will make sure that posters understand how badly this has worked for you and that there is a better way. I do that because I really care for the people who come here.

And that is why I respond...because you make false claims about MY life. You are taking what was going on in my life when I was still engaging in conversations and arguments and fights with him and trying to say 'see being civil doesn't work.' When I stopped arguing with him and when I stopped having chit chat conversations with him (became business only and civil) it does work.

As long as you continue to recommend that stressed out posters don't go into Plan B, I think its only fair to post how badly that advice has worked out for you.

I am not recommending stressed out posters don't go in to Plan B. I agree that less contact is better...and if any poster thinks they need Plan B I fully support that.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:56 PM
I do not believe that sort of very limited interaction with an X is in conflict with Dr. Harley's advise. Ds13 has his own phone now and WXH contacts him directly, so there is very little that I need to speak to WXH about.

That kind of contact is in conflict with Dr Harley's advice when it is clear that a person should be in Plan B. They can avoid all the hostile, stressful interaction you have endured for years. I will point them to your 30 page thread going back years that documents all the hostility.

Completely unnecessary, by the way.

I haven't endured years of hostility. My 30 page thread doesn't document years. I was remarried with a year of being divorced and by then I had learned to stop interacting with him in a way that caused me stress. Lots of good advice on this board helped me get to the point where I didn't get engaged in conversations that harmed me.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:56 PM
And that is why I respond...because you make false claims about MY life. You are taking what was going on in my life when I was still engaging in conversations and arguments and fights with him and trying to say 'see being civil doesn't work.' When I stopped arguing with him and when I stopped having chit chat conversations with him (became business only and civil) it does work.

Yes, being "civil" doesn't work because you have no control over your husband. You have proven that yourself. No one said anything "false" about you. I simply posted your own quotes. We can see how it has worked out for you. If you want to spin it that is fine. But everyone can see how horrible it has been for you all these years.

Have you ever considered why you have this need to hang onto your XH so badly?
Posted By: BrainHurts Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
I found an excellent radio clip from Dr. Harley of why it's a good idea to go into Plan B after divorce. Tell me what you think.
Radio clip on Plan B after Divorce at 5:25 mark

How is posting Dr. Harley's advice/concepts/plans attacking you?

Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:01 PM
[

I haven't endured years of hostility. My 30 page thread doesn't document years. I was remarried with a year of being divorced and by then I had learned to stop interacting with him in a way that caused me stress. Lots of good advice on this board helped me get to the point where I didn't get engaged in conversations that harmed me.

We have your posts from 3 months ago that show this to be false. Shall I post them again? You were advised to go into Plan B years ago and you ignored that advice. Hence, posts like this:

When I moved ds12 out of state, I had to tread very carefully with WXH so that he didn't go filing papers with the court and cause a big bunch of problems. This resulted in more chit chat with him and I can really tell it affects me. Ugh. I've been having horrible dreams lately and feeling that rage well back up.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:06 PM

Yes, being "civil" doesn't work because you have no control over your husband. You have proven that yourself. No one said anything "false" about you. I simply posted your own quotes. We can see how it has worked out for you. If you want to spin it that is fine. But everyone can see how horrible it has been for you all these years.

Have you ever considered why you have this need to hang onto your XH so badly?

You keep claiming being civil isn't working for me...then you give examples of my life when I was NOT being just civil...THAT is spinning.

I text XH pick up drop off details. Give him education and health information as it comes up. We will just have to disagree that indicates I 'have a need to hang on to him so badly.'
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:07 PM
[

We have your posts from 3 months ago that show this to be false. Shall I post them again? You were advised to go into Plan B years ago and you ignored that advice. Hence, posts like this:

Fyi, I don't see Susie, indiegirl, reading, or Scotland making posts like this. You might want to consider that.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:10 PM
You keep claiming being civil isn't working for me...then you give examples of my life when I was NOT being just civil...THAT is spinning.

I gave examples of your EX-HUSBAND not being civil. You have no control over that. Never have, never will. So, of course, it doesn't work for you. You posted the evidence.

I text XH pick up drop off details. Give him education and health information as it comes up. We will just have to disagree that indicates I 'have a need to hang on to him so badly.'

Then why won't you let that long dead corpse go? Why are you hanging on for dear life?
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:11 PM
[

Ok, thank you for looking all that up and summing up what I've already said several times in this thread. I went out of minimum contact while attempting to avoid going to court and went BACK to minimum contact when I saw how it was harmful to me. And as I have said repeated, mimimum contact works for me.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:14 PM

I gave examples of your EX-HUSBAND not being civil. You have no control over that. Never have, never will. So, of course, it doesn't work for you. You posted the evidence.

Then why won't you let that long dead corpse go? Why are you hanging on for dear life?

As I said I don't agree that I am hanging on to a corpse by having minimum contact with my ds's father about drop off and pick up.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:17 PM
Ok, thank you for looking all that up and summing up what I've already said several times in this thread. I went out of minimum contact while attempting to avoid going to court and went BACK to minimum contact when I saw how it was harmful to me. And as I have said repeated, mimimum contact works for me.

That's fine, you don't have to concoct far reaching rationalizations for me. It is your life, not mine.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 10:18 PM
As I said I don't agree that I am hanging on to a corpse by having minimum contact with my ds's father about drop off and pick up.

I am sure you don't agree.
Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 11:02 PM

If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people.

I really don't understand why you didn't just say this to her to begin with if that's how you really feel??

It was pointed out in my 1st post to the OP that her last thread had been regarding conflict and the stress she was experiencing with her xWH. She has been divorced for three years now and she is still going through this. You followed up with this:

This doesn't read anything like what you are now saying.

You don't mention anything about the fact that you feel your xWH is rude and bashes you, and you don't say anything about the fact that you have had to cut back to absolute minimum "business-like" contact in order to keep it civil. You have now changed your terminology of having a "civil relationship" to you need to keep it to "minimum contact".

I am sorry you feel attacked but I am surprised you can't acknowledge the inconsistencies that are going on here. I don't know if you are in denial or just really anti-Plan B after D or what?

Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 11:11 PM
If people are stressed out by any direct communication with their WX then certainly they can try Plan B and see if they feel better. It has clearly worked for a lot of people.

I really don't understand why you didn't just say this to her to begin with if that's how you really feel??

It was pointed out in my 1st post to the OP that her last thread had been regarding conflict and the stress she was experiencing with her xWH. She has been divorced for three years now and she is still going through this. You followed up with this:

This doesn't read anything like what you are now saying.

You don't mention anything about the fact that you feel your xWH is rude and bashes you, and you don't say anything about the fact that you have had to cut back to absolute minimum "business-like" contact in order to keep it civil. You have now changed your terminology of having a "civil relationship" to you need to keep it to "minimum contact".

I am sorry you feel attacked but I am surprised you can't acknowledge the inconsistencies that are going on here. I don't know if you are in denial or just really anti-Plan B after D or what?

I am not anti Plan B and I don't think I am in denial. I saw pages back that my 'civil' was being misunderstood, so I tried repeatedly to explain what I mean by civil. Thus adding other terms like minimum and business only. But as has been said to me MANY times, I am NOT in Plan B, so I said that up front in my post to avoid anyone thinking I was a Plan Ber...and yet even though I am not Plan B I do see the benefits of very minimal contact.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/25/13 11:20 PM
Methinks somebody is in serious denial here. crazy
Posted By: DaisyTheCat2 Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 12:39 AM

I don't see much of a difference in the two posts. Maybe that's because I, too, maintain minimum (civil) contact with my ex regarding our son.

Kendall, I hope you are still here reading these... And I'm sorry if it seems like everyone is being real mean; I think it's just because we all feel strongly about our lives and hate to see someone make mistakes that seem so obvious to us.

I was definitely scared to date again, because I didn't do so well the first time even though I did everything I was taught was "right" (wait for marriage, wait til you got out of school, date a couple years, etc). And I still ended up marrying a man who almost destroyed my physical and mental health.

Reading through this site and going through some after divorce courses (I'm hesitant to list even though I didn't see an MB have a post-divorce program on the website since we're not supposed to list outside resources) really helped me realign myself and get my head screwed on straight.

One thing I would add is to look at why you don't to let him take any of the blame. When I read your post I felt like you were taking all the blame. Am I reading you right? Even if you were a bad wife, the blame wouldn't ALL be yours. I can understand looking at your errors, cleaning up your side of the street, but have you also put blame on him where it is rightfully due?

Wish you the best!

DTC
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by DaisyTheCat2
[quote=SusieQ]
[quote=SmilingWoman]

I don't see much of a difference in the two posts. Maybe that's because I, too, maintain minimum (civil) contact with my ex regarding our son.

Actually there is a huge difference because she was using her own situation as a model, which is to avoid Plan B at all cost. You might have "civil" communications with your XH but she does not. Divorced people are rarely "civil" and not SW - or anyone else - has any control over that.

When people come here with this problem, the MB answer is to recommend Plan B. That is so clearly the best path that it just can't be argued. Anyone who would argue against it clearly doesn't care about the poster and I think that is obvious here.

No one cares if a person does or doesn't go into Plan B after divorce, but when a new poster in need has this problem, we need to be giving her MB advice, and not tortured personal "solutions" that don't even work for ourselves. That is not fair to anyone coming here seeking help. After all, the sign on the door says "Marriage Builders."

Kendall, I hope you are still here reading these... And I'm sorry if it seems like everyone is being real mean; I think it's just because we all feel strongly about our lives and hate to see someone make mistakes that seem so obvious to us.

It is mean to give people bad advice, especially when that advice does not even work for yourself. People feel very strongly about bad advice being given to unsuspecting posters. That is not fair to anyone.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:08 AM
[quote=SusieQ]
[quote=SmilingWoman]

Actually there is a huge difference because she was using her own situation as a model, which is to avoid Plan B at all cost. You might have "civil" communications with your XH but she does not. Divorced people are rarely "civil" and not SW - or anyone else - has any control over that.

When people come here with this problem, the MB answer is to recommend Plan B. That is so clearly the best path that it just can't be argued. Anyone who would argue against it clearly doesn't care about the poster and I think that is obvious here.

No one cares if a person does or doesn't go into Plan B after divorce, but when a new poster in need has this problem, we need to be giving her MB advice, and not tortured personal "solutions" that don't even work for ourselves. That is not fair to anyone coming here seeking help. After all, the sign on the door says "Marriage Builders."

It is mean to give people bad advice, especially when that advice does not even work for yourself. People feel very strongly about bad advice being given to unsuspecting posters. That is not fair to anyone.

Again, yes I do. I have not had civil communications every second of the 4 years since D day, but I have had most of the past 2 years. Yes, there have been a few times since then when I let my guard down and didn't keep it minimal or civil or whatever, but yes I do maintain a civil relationship with my XH. And I have NEVER been against Plan B at all cost. You are again misrepresenting me.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:12 AM
Again, yes I do. I have not had civil communications every second of the 4 years since D day, but I have had most of the past 2 years. Yes, there have been a few times since then when I let my guard down and didn't keep it minimal or civil or whatever, but yes I do maintain a civil relationship with my XH. And I have NEVER been against Plan B at all cost. You are again misrepresenting me.

But your words don't match your actions. We can see your communications for ourselves, SW. They are not civil, nor do you have any control over that. Having "minimal" contact does not prevent your husband from being uncivil. And yes, you have always been against Plan B.
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:17 AM

But your words don't match your actions. We can see your communications for ourselves, SW. They are not civil, nor do you have any control over that. Having "minimal" contact does not prevent your husband from being uncivil. And yes, you have always been against Plan B.

You see the times I have let my guard down and posted that I was upset by him when I tried to be something other than civil/minimal/business like. Naturally I don't post the boring civil business like interactions that comprise the majority of our interactions for the last 2 years. And of course I can't control my XH but he stays civil when I keep the interactions minimal and business like.

And No I have never been against Plan B. I am against the strong arming that I have witnessed on this board when someone chooses to not do Plan B. But I am not against Plan B. I see that it has worked for many people. And that is great.
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:22 AM
You see the times I have let my guard down and posted that I was upset by him when I tried to be something other than civil/minimal/business like.

Strangely, we don't see posts like that from those in Plan B. They are not "upset" by their X's because they don't have contact. What I do see is a woman who imagines she can control her XH's behavior and just can't let go.

And No I have never been against Plan B. I am against the strong arming that I have witnessed on this board when someone chooses to not do Plan B. But I am not against Plan B. I see that it has worked for many people. And that is great.

Yet you encouraged the very distraught starter of this thread to maintain "minimal contact" by posting your own experience. Of course you didn't tell her how bad it has really been. Which is very typical of you.
Posted By: MBSeasons Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:26 AM
Let's please keep this thead on track! We are here to promote Marriage Builders concepts. If you cannot support this poster with Marriage Builders concepts, please refrain from posting!
Posted By: MelodyLane Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:30 AM
Thanks MBSeasons! Sorry for the threadjack, Kendall, I thought it was important for you to see the downside of not following MB concepts. It is not pretty!
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:31 AM
EDIT
Posted By: SmilingWoman Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by MBSeasons
Let's please keep this thead on track! We are here to promote Marriage Builders concepts. If you cannot support this poster with Marriage Builders concepts, please refrain from posting!

So sorry! We were posting at the same time.

Posted By: SusieQ Re: Serial Cheaters - 03/26/13 05:33 PM

Hinting to someone who is struggling with issues related to communicating the ex (three years post D I might add) that maintaining contact and being "civil" for the sake of the children is the exact opposite of encouraging Plan B.

It is actually an anti-PB/PP sentiment -- because children do "better" when the parents are emotionally healthy and the children are not being subjected to conflict/tension etc.

One of the frustrating parts of going into Plan B for me were these types of comments I received from people. I posted about this in the parallel parenting thread:

Hope this information will help a Plan Ber when they are confronted with "You need to be communicating for the good of the children!" like I have been.

In fact, my uncle my uncle said this to me. This same uncle who divorced his WW several years before me and during the D process had an altercation with his WW wherein the police were called to the house -- all in front of the children. This same uncle who years after the D still will complain on and on and on about his xWW to anyone who will listen. Because he has to maintain contact for the sake of the children? Old school thinking. This is exactly what they taught in us about PP during our divorce class.

Kendall, if you are still with us, no one is trying to be "mean" as has been suggested. Sometimes topics can get heated, and the reason some of us in Plan B are pretty passionate about it is because we have been on BOTH sides and know how much peace and relief and healing it can bring.

© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums