Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
Hello All,

Just under a month ago I discovered that my fiance has been having an affair with another woman. We are long distance and have been together for 7 years. I am a significant number of years younger than him (I'm in my mid twenties and he is 40).

I learned that he has been seeing a woman for 6 months when I went to visit him. Based on what she has stated and what he has told me, they have not had sex; it has been an emotional affair of sorts. He agreed to end it and said he sent her a goodbye email but last Saturday I couldn't reach him for hours and called the affair partner's phone. When she answered I heard his voice in the background and later learned that he spent the day helping her move into a new apartment. He says he was just keeping his word. On Monday he forwarded emails he sent her ending things to me but I doubted that they had actually been sent. However, after he "sent" them she began texting me, after me having contacted her many times, and she stated that she was through with him but then stated that they were never involved - she made several contradictory statements like this throughout her text and also called me a b-tch several times so I don't know what her angle was. However, today my fiancee told me that the affair partner emailed him asking him to meet her for a hand off of some tools that he left at her place.

My fiance said he plans to use the contact to allow me to physically see him send her an email reiterating his disinterest in being in contact her ever again and explaining that she can keep the tools. I'm happy that he voluntarily told me she contacted him and that he is working to make sure I see him officially tell her that the affair is over. I'm concerned though that this meetup request from her is a last ditch effort to get him back and since I am in another state I wonder how long my fiance will be able to stay on the road to moving forward.

The affair partner told me several inconsistent stories during our text messaging but the only one that bothered me was when she mentioned that my fiance stated that he wanted her and not me. Should I hold on to this? He says he never told her that but that he didn't make her think he didn't because he wanted to keep her around. He has stated repeatedly that he never intended to leave me for her. Do cheater says things to the other person like that and not mean them?

What should I ask him to say in the email to her before we send it?

P
P
OW is not your problem.
Your cheating boyfriend is your problem.
He's a liar and a sneak.
Not exactly a great catch.

Dump him.

B
B
Originally Posted by anony198
Hello All,

Just under a month ago I discovered that my fiance has been having an affair with another woman. We are long distance and have been together for 7 years. I am a significant number of years younger than him (I'm in my mid twenties and he is 40).

I learned that he has been seeing a woman for 6 months when I went to visit him. Based on what she has stated and what he has told me, they have not had sex; it has been an emotional affair of sorts. He agreed to end it and said he sent her a goodbye email but last Saturday I couldn't reach him for hours and called the affair partner's phone. When she answered I heard his voice in the background and later learned that he spent the day helping her move into a new apartment. He says he was just keeping his word. On Monday he forwarded emails he sent her ending things to me but I doubted that they had actually been sent. However, after he "sent" them she began texting me, after me having contacted her many times, and she stated that she was through with him but then stated that they were never involved - she made several contradictory statements like this throughout her text and also called me a b-tch several times so I don't know what her angle was. However, today my fiancee told me that the affair partner emailed him asking him to meet her for a hand off of some tools that he left at her place.

My fiance said he plans to use the contact to allow me to physically see him send her an email reiterating his disinterest in being in contact her ever again and explaining that she can keep the tools. I'm happy that he voluntarily told me she contacted him and that he is working to make sure I see him officially tell her that the affair is over. I'm concerned though that this meetup request from her is a last ditch effort to get him back and since I am in another state I wonder how long my fiance will be able to stay on the road to moving forward.

The affair partner told me several inconsistent stories during our text messaging but the only one that bothered me was when she mentioned that my fiance stated that he wanted her and not me. Should I hold on to this? He says he never told her that but that he didn't make her think he didn't because he wanted to keep her around. He has stated repeatedly that he never intended to leave me for her. Do cheater says things to the other person like that and not mean them?

What should I ask him to say in the email to her before we send it?
Welcome to MB.

We say that dating is an interview for marriage. He failed the interview.

Why do you want to Marry him? You're young. Move on dear and leave him.

Do you have any children? Together?

Why are you separated?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
We are long distance and have been together for 7 years. I am a significant number of years younger than him (I'm in my mid twenties and he is 40).

This means, this dude was dating you while you were still a teenager, correct?

You need to gain a lot more experience in the world.

Date other men who don't treat you this badly.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
OP Offline
A
I guess I'm struggling because when we started premarital counseling he wasn't cheating and our therapist said that I had emotionally checked out and was keeping us in limbo for years. He was really upset that I wouldn't fully committ or make a decision about being with him so while he was wrong I know exactly how we got here. I left emotionally so he sought it out.

P
P
Date other men who don't treat you this badly.
Dr. Harley would tell you to date at least 30 men.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
I guess I'm struggling because when we started premarital counseling he wasn't cheating and our therapist said that I had emotionally checked out and was keeping us in limbo for years. He was really upset that I wouldn't fully committ or make a decision about being with him so while he was wrong I know exactly how we got here. I left emotionally so he sought it out.

Sweetie. He's still a liar and a cheat.

My daughter is about your age .... if a dude did this to her .... watch out for mama-bear.

What do your parents have to say about this?
Tell them everything.

A
OP Offline
A
Yes, I was in my teens. I do feel I need more experience. Will say that he was big on not stealing my youth so I've lived abroad completed college and grad school and pursued all my dreams with his full support during our relationship.

P
P
Anony, did you graduate from college? Do you have a career?

I see you answered my question while I was posting.

Dream big.
Dream beyond this man.

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/10/13 03:25 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
Will look into that, thank you.

A
OP Offline
A
You're probably right. I told my mom and she wants me tokeave him.

B
B
Yes, I was in my teens. I do feel I need more experience. Will say that he was big on not stealing my youth so I've lived abroad completed college and grad school and pursued all my dreams with his full support during our relationship.
That's why you will find someone worthy of your worth. Your fiance does not deserve you.

You deserve so much better.

Please read.
Preparing for Marriage

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B

Your mom sounds wise. smile

Moms know best. smile

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Originally Posted by Pepperband
OW is not your problem.
Your cheating boyfriend is your problem.
He's a liar and a sneak.
Not exactly a great catch.

Dump him.

Be grateful that you know this BEFORE the wedding and children. Do not sign up for this sort of heartache when you have PROOF of how he is willing to treat you. Sorry for your pain but I would walk and cut my losses.

ETA: And it it HIGHLY likely there is sex involved. I would trust this being an EA as far as I could throw a house.

Last edited by black_raven; 05/10/13 03:31 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
P
P

You will have a broken heart for awhile.
It hurts like hell, but it will get better. And, you'll get smarter with this experience.

P
P
when we started premarital counseling he wasn't cheating and our therapist said that I had emotionally checked out and was keeping us in limbo for years

That therapist is an idiot.
You were a teenager for most of those years !!!
Teenagers are not yet fully brain developed.

I hope you did not pay any money to listen to that horse manure.

EDIT TO ADD:
There is nothing wrong with you that a break from this dude won't repair.

Last edited by Pepperband; 05/10/13 03:34 PM.
M
M

You can do much, much better than this, dear. You can find someone who doesn't cheat and lie. You can find someone local [versus long distance] with whom you are not emotionally checked out. You should find someone you are emotionally ATTACHED TO. That is the person you should choose to marry.

Dating is a job interview for marriage and this interview has failed on many levels.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
OP Offline
A
I was 23 when we saw her and she is my personal therapist so she tends to veer toward what is best for me but she was right. I was pretty immature and I counted on the fact that he loved me more than I loved him. During session he'd be practically begging me to committ and I wouldnt because i thought I might be missing out on something else.

A
OP Offline
A
Thank you Melody, I'm really considering ending it but I know I had a role

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 494 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation