Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
Not ready for that at all.

P
P
Originally Posted by anony198
During session he'd be practically begging me to committ and I wouldnt because i thought I might be missing out on something else.

You're correct. You were not ready. Good instincts.

A
OP Offline
A
He always says he doesn't deserve me. Does it matter that I started an EA after I suspected that he had?

P
P
He always says he doesn't deserve me. Does it matter that I started an EA after I suspected that he had?

No.

You are not ready to marry anyone. And, that's OK!

Date. Date a lot.
Have fun.
Mature.
You can get married in 4-5 years.

A
OP Offline
A
I guess I want to marry him because he's always been my best friend and supporter. He gave me independence and was always willing to go without to see me taken care of. We don't have kids, in fact - believe it or not I'm waiting until marriage. He's never pressured me to have sex and has always supported my decision. Which is why I was shocked when the OW said he wouldn't have sex with her.

A
OP Offline
A
When I asked him why he didn't have sex with her, he said because he's waiting for me and only wanted female company that wasn't antagonistic and she was that.

A
OP Offline
A
Yeah, I'm preparing to get a terminal degree and I don't think I'm prepared for marriage. I feel like I need to work on my self worth because my therapist says I don't know how valuable I am.

B
B
Yeah, I'm preparing to get a terminal degree and I don't think I'm prepared for marriage. I feel like I need to work on my self worth because my therapist says I don't know how valuable I am.
Ok, so you've had your mom and your therapist and many anonymous, wise women on MB tell you to break up with him.

So will you?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
I guess I want to marry him because he's always been my best friend and supporter.

You want a best friend and supporter who lies, cheats and deceives you? You have an EA on your best friend and support? You are not ready for marriage. Marriage right now and with this guy will be a total disaster.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
A
OP Offline
A
I don't know. I'm afraid to but I feel relief thinking of never having to worry about lies again. He said if I leave him we can't be friends and I see him as my advisor and constant. Sometimes I tell him he's been like a father figure. He also had a bit of a temper and that concerns me too. He was married when I met him, I had no idea, and he divorced her so he always says he's given more to me than anyone andwill hate me.I just feel bad because for years he wasn't cheating and I wouldn't committ so he's not evil but this situation is causing me to be anxious 24/7

A
OP Offline
A
True. I don't want marriage right away. He wants us to go to therapy and see if we can salvage this.

B
B
I don't know. I'm afraid to but I feel relief thinking of never having to worry about lies again. He said if I leave him we can't be friends and I see him as my advisor and constant. Sometimes I tell him he's been like a father figure. He also had a bit of a temper and that concerns me too. He was married when I met him, I had no idea, and he divorced her so he always says he's given more to me than anyone andwill hate me.I just feel bad because for years he wasn't cheating and I wouldn't committ so he's not evil but this situation is causing me to be anxious 24/7
He cheated on his XW and see what he's doing with you?

Do you see a pattern?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

A
OP Offline
A
I do. I guess I dont get what I'm giving him because he's never slept with me.

P
P
He was married when I met him, I had no idea

His willingness to deceive you started day one.

He's quite manipulative.

he divorced her so he always says he's given more to me than anyone

This is a manipulative hook. Trying to guilt you into staying with him when, in the deepest part of your soul, you know you don't really want to.

I just feel bad because for years he wasn't cheating and I wouldn't commit

Irrelevant. He is not the right man for you.
That is the only reason you need to give, as you say "Good-bye".

P
P
he's not evil

Probably he is not.

He is the wrong man for you.

You already know this.

A
OP Offline
A
I know you are right. I guess I make a lot of excuses and hope he'll change.

B
B
I do. I guess I dont get what I'm giving him because he's never slept with me.
A woman he can continue to manipulate, sorry.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

K
K
Please leave him before he manipulates you MORE. You need to break free of him.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
I guess I'm struggling because when we started premarital counseling he wasn't cheating and our therapist said that I had emotionally checked out and was keeping us in limbo for years. He was really upset that I wouldn't fully committ or make a decision about being with him so while he was wrong I know exactly how we got here. I left emotionally so he sought it out.
He sought it out. Hmm. I guess I'm okay with him seeking out women to meet as potential partners. I'm not okay with the fact that he didn't share his decision with you. In other words, he had some concerns about his relationship with you, but chose to be with another woman instead of working on those concerns with you.

He has the hallmarks of being bad marriage material. My suggestion would be to exit this relationship and find someone else who is open to the concept of being honest with you.

As far as your premarital counselor? Please understand that there are therapists will find "something" that requires you to go to counselling. Just something to keep in mind if you plan to depend on therapists to tell you about yourself. cool

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
I was 23 when we saw her and she is my personal therapist so she tends to veer toward what is best for me but she was right. I was pretty immature and I counted on the fact that he loved me more than I loved him. During session he'd be practically begging me to committ and I wouldnt because i thought I might be missing out on something else.
May I ask why, at the tender age of 23, you have a personal therapist?

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation