Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33
Darkguy #2739159 06/26/13 09:19 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TranquilDark
I'll let the vets dissect the post but I am happy to hear your both on board with MB. I am nowhere near there yet and my thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Thank you TD.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2739163 06/26/13 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by mrs_cen
Any suggestions on helping BS through his "bad thought" times - I don't want to ignore it, I want to help, but I don't want I make it worse and come across patronizing if I try to reassure him.

As you know, this is step 1:

Have you thoroughly answered all of his questions to his satisfaction?

Have you come clean on all the facts of the A?

Is there ANYTING at all that you are still hiding from him?

The last thing you want to do is for facts to trickle out over time. This will set you back to square 1.

20YearHistory #2739166 06/26/13 09:30 AM

First you are going to have to come to grips that this is a marathon not a race. 2-5years to recover.

The biggest help that my FWW does for me is to be completely and radically honest, reassure me daily that she does not have a SSL, no hidden email accounts, no secret phone, no one is making LB deposits besides me, schedule and document our UA, meet my EN�s.

This would be a great start for you.

20YearHistory #2739176 06/26/13 09:46 AM
B
B
Do you ask him everyday "what you can do for him" "what does he need from you"?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

20YearHistory #2739181 06/26/13 09:54 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
Any suggestions on helping BS through his "bad thought" times - I don't want to ignore it, I want to help, but I don't want I make it worse and come across patronizing if I try to reassure him.

As you know, this is step 1:

Have you thoroughly answered all of his questions to his satisfaction?

Have you come clean on all the facts of the A?

Is there ANYTING at all that you are still hiding from him?

The last thing you want to do is for facts to trickle out over time. This will set you back to square 1.

Yes - All questions have been answered, there were some things BS wanted done regarding OM and past criminal activities and I was leary about speaking with police, however - I did so and it's done.
There will be NO "trickle truth" from me.

FWW, 36

BrainHurts #2739182 06/26/13 09:56 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Do you ask him everyday "what you can do for him" "what does he need from you"?

I do now BH, I hadn't always but I make a point through out the day to ask, we text frequently to just "check" in and we get a chance to speak to each other on the phone a few times during breaks as well.

FWW, 36

20YearHistory #2739184 06/26/13 09:56 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
First you are going to have to come to grips that this is a marathon not a race. 2-5years to recover.

The biggest help that my FWW does for me is to be completely and radically honest, reassure me daily that she does not have a SSL, no hidden email accounts, no secret phone, no one is making LB deposits besides me, schedule and document our UA, meet my EN�s.

This would be a great start for you.

Sounds like a good start indeed - thank you for the advice.

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2739213 06/26/13 10:39 AM
P
P
The best thing you can do for your husband is to build a romantic marriage with him. This is part of Just Compensation, and when you have achieved it, the "bad thoughts" and resentment will go away.

Have the two of you started going on dates yet?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2739219 06/26/13 10:47 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
The best thing you can do for your husband is to build a romantic marriage with him. This is part of Just Compensation, and when you have achieved it, the "bad thoughts" and resentment will go away.

Have the two of you started going on dates yet?

WE DID!!!! We went on our "first" this past Saturday to a movie and then Sunday we had a "coffee" date at Second Cup! - it was sooo nice (until he had some "bad thoughts")

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2739252 06/26/13 11:37 AM
P
P
You need to start going on 4 dates a week, 4 hours each, concentrating on meeting the 4 Intimate Emotional Needs (Conversation, Affection, Recreational Companionship, and ending with Sexual Fulfillment). Will you do that?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2739264 06/26/13 11:46 AM
P
P
Has he started Anger Management? I know he found a place to go, but has he actually started the classes yet?

Last edited by Prisca; 06/26/13 11:46 AM.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2739279 06/26/13 11:53 AM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Has he started Anger Management? I know he found a place to go, but has he actually started the classes yet?

Not yet - the next level 1 course is 2 days and runs July 6 & 13.
I spoke with a counsellor this am - they won't let BS attend my sessions with me - so I guess we have to look elsewhere - I think it's imperative for him to be on board and aware at all times with what's happening as far as my impulse control - as a nurse, I don't see how how it's a FOIP breech if its ME requesting he attend.
Really discouraged right now

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2739297 06/26/13 12:05 PM
B
B

I spoke with a counsellor this am - they won't let BS attend my sessions with me - so I guess we have to look elsewhere - I think it's imperative for him to be on board and aware at all times with what's happening as far as my impulse control - as a nurse, I don't see how how it's a FOIP breech if its ME requesting he attend.
Good on finding another one.

I'm very involved in my H treatment and go to every appointment. It was just one of the many good advice HHH gave me.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Prisca #2739299 06/26/13 12:07 PM
P
P
You need to start going on 4 dates a week, 4 hours each, concentrating on meeting the 4 Intimate Emotional Needs (Conversation, Affection, Recreational Companionship, and ending with Sexual Fulfillment). Will you do that?

Will you do this?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Prisca #2739314 06/26/13 12:29 PM
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M

Will you do this?

Yes, 15 hours a week - can some of the dates be at home? As long as the kids are away? Or do we have to leave the house?

FWW, 36

mrs_cen #2739315 06/26/13 12:30 PM
H
H

Yeah, people's buttholes pucker at thoughts of HIPPA and whatever else.

But, you are EXACTLY RIGHT; by involving him in your mental health plan-of-care, you are being Radically Honest and Transparent.

Also; wouldn't you say that his participation in your plan of care is a demonstration of care?

These things are part of an open, honest, and interdependent marriage as far as I'm concerned.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
mrs_cen #2739319 06/26/13 12:36 PM
P
P
Yes, 15 hours a week - can some of the dates be at home? As long as the kids are away? Or do we have to leave the house?

Dr. Harley recommends that these dates be out of the house. Will you do that?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

mrs_cen #2739336 06/26/13 01:08 PM
L
L
We had a "set back" of sorts yesterday - BS really let me "have it" with his immediate thoughts (PORH) and boy did it hurt! which lead to the start of AO's on both sides - I say "start" because we were both able (BS especially) to recognize, stop, and redirect our behaviour. Needless to say, I spent most of yesterday "digesting" his words. I believe I'm still coming to terms with the severity of what I did to him and our family and THAT is a hard pill to swallow.

The PORH is not for the purpose of blasting our spouses with our terrible thoughts about the recent tragedy. The PORH is so spouses can really get to know and more fully understand the other. It's so we can let our spouse know when something bothers us and to respectfully voice our complaints.

Once your H has all the necessary details of your affair, it does no good in the least to keep bringing it up in the spirit of Radical Honesty. I did that, too. I finally had to simply learn to swallow my words. It only made both of us miserable for me to keep bringing it up. Bringing up the mistakes of the past in an enemy of good conversation. He will feel miserable about the affair until your marriage improves. Recovery takes a couple of YEARS, at the minimum. Talking about it keeps bringing the agony into the present. He has to stop talking about it.

When he brings it up again, ask him to stop, "Honey, this conversation is becoming very unpleasant for me. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you and want our future to be wonderful. Please don't talk about my failure anymore." Say it calmly and respectfully.

If he persists, then, again respectfully, tell him, "I need to step away from this conversation now." And then leave.

It's hard; it's very hard for the BS to stop talking about it, but it truly is absolutely necessary.

Talking about the A will not bring recovery faster; it will ruin the present.

He has found a rig job that will allow him to be home every night, however it may be as late as 8-9 pm, which will NOT allow us to spend the necessary time together each day/week that we need. I know his concern is still financial BUT the fact that BS brought up the time thing, leads me to believe that he "gets it", his worry still there though.

Have you both looked at the potential schedule and carefully carved out your UA hours? This needs to be done. And you both need to agree on the job, ensuring that the job is supporting the marriage and not the other way around.

Your H will need to practice the habit of replacing the bad thoughts with more helpful ones. I had to constantly, as in many times a day, tell myself, often out loud, to look at what FWH is doing NOW. I've practiced this so much for the last couple of years that I hardly ever think about how awful he was for a while. I think of what a terrific man he has become instead.

When your H is feeling badly, he should come to you for comfort, as in a hug or holding each other. He may weep spontaneously or just look terribly sad. Go to him and just hold him. There are times, thankfully rare these days, when my loss comes into my thoughts. My H knows it simply by seeing my face. Even then we don't talk about it, he simply holds me.

Recovery and restoration is a process.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
M
M
This is excellent advice:

Originally Posted by LongWayFromHome
We had a "set back" of sorts yesterday - BS really let me "have it" with his immediate thoughts (PORH) and boy did it hurt! which lead to the start of AO's on both sides - I say "start" because we were both able (BS especially) to recognize, stop, and redirect our behaviour. Needless to say, I spent most of yesterday "digesting" his words. I believe I'm still coming to terms with the severity of what I did to him and our family and THAT is a hard pill to swallow.

The PORH is not for the purpose of blasting our spouses with our terrible thoughts about the recent tragedy. The PORH is so spouses can really get to know and more fully understand the other. It's so we can let our spouse know when something bothers us and to respectfully voice our complaints.

Once your H has all the necessary details of your affair, it does no good in the least to keep bringing it up in the spirit of Radical Honesty. I did that, too. I finally had to simply learn to swallow my words. It only made both of us miserable for me to keep bringing it up. Bringing up the mistakes of the past in an enemy of good conversation. He will feel miserable about the affair until your marriage improves. Recovery takes a couple of YEARS, at the minimum. Talking about it keeps bringing the agony into the present. He has to stop talking about it.

When he brings it up again, ask him to stop, "Honey, this conversation is becoming very unpleasant for me. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you and want our future to be wonderful. Please don't talk about my failure anymore." Say it calmly and respectfully.

If he persists, then, again respectfully, tell him, "I need to step away from this conversation now." And then leave.

It's hard; it's very hard for the BS to stop talking about it, but it truly is absolutely necessary.

Talking about the A will not bring recovery faster; it will ruin the present.

He has found a rig job that will allow him to be home every night, however it may be as late as 8-9 pm, which will NOT allow us to spend the necessary time together each day/week that we need. I know his concern is still financial BUT the fact that BS brought up the time thing, leads me to believe that he "gets it", his worry still there though.

Have you both looked at the potential schedule and carefully carved out your UA hours? This needs to be done. And you both need to agree on the job, ensuring that the job is supporting the marriage and not the other way around.

Your H will need to practice the habit of replacing the bad thoughts with more helpful ones. I had to constantly, as in many times a day, tell myself, often out loud, to look at what FWH is doing NOW. I've practiced this so much for the last couple of years that I hardly ever think about how awful he was for a while. I think of what a terrific man he has become instead.

When your H is feeling badly, he should come to you for comfort, as in a hug or holding each other. He may weep spontaneously or just look terribly sad. Go to him and just hold him. There are times, thankfully rare these days, when my loss comes into my thoughts. My H knows it simply by seeing my face. Even then we don't talk about it, he simply holds me.

Recovery and restoration is a process.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
mrs_cen Offline OP
OP Offline
M
BS and I have had a quite the day. He has not registered for his classes as he was supposed to, he had said he would put me on the lease but now as we move onto our third month of reconcillation he still refuses to but would like me to continue to contribute to half the bills, he told me and I quote "This is not my mess to fix, it's all yours to clean up, I just have to allow it to happen", he's also just texted and said he's accepted the rig job -
I'm truly at a loss right now, I do t know what he wants.

FWW, 36

Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation