Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
N
OP Offline
N
Yes, I did portay my marriage to OM as lonely and unfulfilling. I described all of BH's worst traits and failed to mention any of his strengths. I played the poor, neglected and unappreciated wife and milked it for all it was worth. And OM just ate it all right up. He even seemed to try and prod me into "admitting" that I was being physically abused as well. I never did, because that was a line even I wouldn't cross. BH has never laid a finger on me in violence and no matter how badly OM wanted me to say he did, I never did.

BH says I am a terrible liar and he knew right away when I was hiding something. OM was probably just believing what he wanted to believe.

Or OM just didn't care and wanted you to keep talking so he could keep getting whatever he was getting.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
D
D
I agree with KR. You could of said your husband was the Pope and he wouldn't care as long as you kept giving him sex and other ego boosting things.

N
OP Offline
N
She is family. She stays.

He does not spend time with her alone. He does not have conversations with her that I am excluded from.

I spend as much time with her as he does, and these get-togethers almost always include our children.

He is no more likely to have an affair with her at this point than with our female neighbors. Do we have to get rid of them too? He has been home alone all day while I am at work and so are the women that live on either side of us.

And cavalier? I basically just quit my job, a job I love and am very good at, the crowning achievement of a ten year career, and the only income we have right now, because I have learned the hard way that my marriage is worth it.

I am not cavalier. I am human, and so is BH. We can only insulate ourselves from outside threats so much, the rest we have to find within ourselves.

I know I do not have it within myself to resist OM, so EP are very appropriate. BH has never once lied to me about anything he's done involving other females. He has never had anything to hide. I'm sorry, but if he wants to cheat with this woman, she can have him. That's how confident I am that she is safe.

I think if you read my posts you can tell that I take this very seriously. I do not make excuses for myself and I know how easy it is to fail. I was once a delusional basket case addicted to a toad, but slowly I am coming out of the fog.

I am using too much energy fighting my own weaknesses right now to insist that one of my closest friends and her son be removed from my life just because BH knew her first.

If am wrong, I will let you all be the first to say I told you so.

B
B
Originally Posted by NeverSayNever13
Not as black and white as you think. Just hear me out.

She is not just his friend, she is mine too. In fact she is like a sister to me. Which is significant because neither BH nor I have a single relative within 750 miles of us.

BH met her shortly before he met me. They never dated, never had any type of romantic or physical friendship. They mainly clicked because their sons were the same age. When BH and I started dating, I met her and instantly liked her, never felt threatened. So I accepted their friendship and soon she became OUR friend.

I had long ago expressed to him that I did not feel comfortable with the two of them spending time together without me, and although he may not have taken this as seriously as he should have, it has rarely been an issue. I have now requested that he not communicate with her directly, but I am not ready to remove this woman from lives. She and her son are like family to us, and we have no other family we can see without getting on a plane.

I am not naive enough to think a a woman who is "like a sister to me" could never
betray me. Another friend I felt this way about did exactly that. She made an advance toward my husband in my house while I was there. He immediately informed me, and I immediately sent her packing, no questions asked. We completely cut her out of our lives forever. And I never looked back.

As my screen name indicates, I have learned to "never say never." My husband and our friend/sister could fall in love and have an affair. But the bottom line is that it's a risk I'm willing to take. If it happens, my marriage is ruined all over again. But if we continue to work on meeting each others EN and keeping our love banks full, that's not going to happen.
Even if there wasn't an affair in your marriage this is very risky behavior for your marriage.

Now that an affair has happened in your marriage you both need to have iron clad EPs. Your BH is more at risk for a RA (revenge affair) then before your affair.

The Harleys will say "it is each of our own responsibility to protect the wrong people making LB deposits into our Love Banks", all potential threats must be removed, hence strong boundaries.

Sorry this is part of the consequences of your affair.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
D
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Not as black and white as you think. Just hear me out.

She is not just his friend, she is mine too. In fact she is like a sister to me. Which is significant because neither BH nor I have a single relative within 750 miles of us.

BH met her shortly before he met me. They never dated, never had any type of romantic or physical friendship. They mainly clicked because their sons were the same age. When BH and I started dating, I met her and instantly liked her, never felt threatened. So I accepted their friendship and soon she became OUR friend.

I had long ago expressed to him that I did not feel comfortable with the two of them spending time together without me, and although he may not have taken this as seriously as he should have, it has rarely been an issue. I have now requested that he not communicate with her directly, but I am not ready to remove this woman from lives. She and her son are like family to us, and we have no other family we can see without getting on a plane.

I am not naive enough to think a a woman who is "like a sister to me" could never
betray me. Another friend I felt this way about did exactly that. She made an advance toward my husband in my house while I was there. He immediately informed me, and I immediately sent her packing, no questions asked. We completely cut her out of our lives forever. And I never looked back.

As my screen name indicates, I have learned to "never say never." My husband and our friend/sister could fall in love and have an affair. But the bottom line is that it's a risk I'm willing to take. If it happens, my marriage is ruined all over again. But if we continue to work on meeting each others EN and keeping our love banks full, that's not going to happen.
Even if there wasn't an affair in your marriage this is very risky behavior for your marriage.

Now that an affair has happened in your marriage you both need to have iron clad EPs. Your BH is more at risk for a RA (revenge affair) then before your affair.

The Harleys will say "it is each of our own responsibility to protect the wrong people making LB deposits into our Love Banks", all potential threats must be removed, hence strong boundaries.

Sorry this is part of the consequences of your affair.

x1000

M
M
Opposite-sex friendships are not a negotiable condition. This is solid MB advice that we are giving you. Do you want to recover? Do you want to have a great marriage? Do you really think this friend, if she is indeed any kind of a friend to your marriage at all, would want to stand in the way? You are not getting it. This friendship *has* to end. What is more important, your marriage or your friends?

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
H
H

He does not spend time with her alone. He does not have conversations with her that I am excluded from.

I spend as much time with her as he does, and these get-togethers almost always include our children.

He is no more likely to have an affair with her at this point than with our female neighbors. Do we have to get rid of them too? He has been home alone all day while I am at work and so are the women that live on either side of us.

And cavalier? I basically just quit my job, a job I love and am very good at, the crowning achievement of a ten year career, and the only income we have right now, because I have learned the hard way that my marriage is worth it.

I am not cavalier. I am human, and so is BH. We can only insulate ourselves from outside threats so much, the rest we have to find within ourselves.

I know I do not have it within myself to resist OM, so EP are very appropriate. BH has never once lied to me about anything he's done involving other females. He has never had anything to hide. I'm sorry, but if he wants to cheat with this woman, she can have him. That's how confident I am that she is safe.

I think if you read my posts you can tell that I take this very seriously. I do not make excuses for myself and I know how easy it is to fail. I was once a delusional basket case addicted to a toad, but slowly I am coming out of the fog.

I am using too much energy fighting my own weaknesses right now to insist that one of my closest friends and her son be removed from my life just because BH knew her first.

If am wrong, I will let you all be the first to say I told you so.

I'm going to be quite frank and crude here, but... this is the reality of this risky friendship -

Are you prepared to forever live with the image of your husband having wild, angry, raging gorilla sex with this woman, just to keep her in your life?

The rollercoaster of emotions involved post-betrayal are a horrible, vulnerable time for a BS to deal with... all it takes is a moment of anger/pain driven weakness, and something happens that can never be taken back.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
P
P
This woman is the best friend he went to when he found out about your affair. She's not just some neighbor or acquaintance, she's a best friend. She's someone he can confide in and go to for help and support. And she's a very high risk for your marriage. She cannot stay.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Extraordinary Precautions are for both of you. Not just for whoever was unfaithful. Both Dr. Harley and Joyce follow Extraordinary Precautions (such as no opposite sex friendships; no nights apart) and neither one of them has ever had an affair. In fact, they have a great marriage! (In fact, taking extraordinary precautions to avoid an affair is the reason that neither one of them has ever had an affair and one of the reasons they have a great marriage.)

I also wonder if your husband is completely truthful with you regarding the extent of his relationship with this woman.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
She is family.

Literally? Or figuratively? Blood-kin?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
P
P
Then you do not understand how affairs start.
And you do not understand just how vulnerable a BH is to an affair of his own.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
My husband and our friend/sister could fall in love and have an affair. But the bottom line is that it's a risk I'm willing to take.
What a calloused thing to say.

My husband has never had an affair. He doesn't have any female friends, either. And he never will. It's not a risk I'm willing to take -- I respect my marriage too much to allow it.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Originally Posted by Prisca
Then you do not understand how affairs start.
And you do not understand just how vulnerable a BH is to an affair of his own.

I would definitely suggest you spend some time reading these:

Don't forget to go back and read these.

How do Affairs Begin?

Anatomy of Adultery

chapter 13 of His Needs, Her Needs

M
M
In your husband's promiscuous past, was he ever sexual with this best friend?

Both of you need to have no contact with any former lovers - for life.

M
M
But the bottom line is that it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I understand why you would feel that way. But in Dr. Harley's research he has seen that an affair is the worst trauma one human being can inflict on another. Nobody can predict just how horrible that trauma is before it happens to them. Even the most cavalier serial philanderers are emotionally devastated when the same trauma is inflicted on them.

M
M
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 06/29/13 01:22 AM. Reason: TOS non MB advice

D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

M
M
This friendship *has* to end. What is more important, your marriage or your friends?

**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 06/29/13 01:23 AM. Reason: TOS non MB advice

D-Day 2-10-2009

This woman is the best friend he went to when he found out about your affair. She's not just some neighbor or acquaintance, she's a best friend. She's someone he can confide in and go to for help and support. And she's a very high risk for your marriage. She cannot stay.

That would be why.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
M
M
**edit**

Last edited by Fireproof; 06/29/13 01:24 AM. Reason: TOS non MB advice

D-Day 2-10-2009

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ardent Center, Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860
71,843 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation