Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---all of which are considered abusive and unloving by me. Regardless of any efforts he might spend on explaining his "needs" and desires and requesting politely....I can not concede to his desires. How do I respond if he accuses me of pride and disrespect and "not willing to meet his needs" I understand the Policy of Joint Agreement, however there is NO win-win way I can think of to "satisfy" him and he resents my firm "No, that is not ok with me." What do I do?

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478

There is an article here that I can't quickly link where Dr. Harley says that marriage is mutual extraordinary care and that to get what one wants (him) when the other spouse is not in agreement (you) shows that he himself is not caring about you. Meeting the need for sex is not about doing what he wants, it's about both of you enjoying the experience together. If you don't enjoy it, his arguments as to how you are supposed to be doing it are null and void.

Him accusing you of pride and disrespect because you won't concede is a disrespectful judgement on his part, a tactic to get what he wants no matter how you feel about it.

You can't argue the point, but you can stay firm with saying I don't want to do that. It's okay to say "no" to doing something you know you won't feel good about yourself doing.

These are not needs; fulfilling sex can be accomplished in other ways than through these specific acts he wants.



xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,860
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,860
Originally Posted by colt751
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---all of which are considered abusive and unloving by me. Regardless of any efforts he might spend on explaining his "needs" and desires and requesting politely....I can not concede to his desires. How do I respond if he accuses me of pride and disrespect and "not willing to meet his needs" I understand the Policy of Joint Agreement, however there is NO win-win way I can think of to "satisfy" him and he resents my firm "No, that is not ok with me." What do I do?

Tell your H fine. He wants to do anal so you will wear a strapon and ask him if it will be ok to use the wooden spoon because you do not want to hurt your hand. He seems to want to do it so he should take it. Take it with a smile.

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by colt751
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---all of which are considered abusive and unloving by me. Regardless of any efforts he might spend on explaining his "needs" and desires and requesting politely....I can not concede to his desires. How do I respond if he accuses me of pride and disrespect and "not willing to meet his needs" I understand the Policy of Joint Agreement, however there is NO win-win way I can think of to "satisfy" him and he resents my firm "No, that is not ok with me." What do I do?
The solution, as you have already surmised, is with the Policy of Joint Agreement. You both need to work this problem. Since the default condition of POJA is to do nothing, I suspect that no SF until you both come to an enthusiastic agreement just might motivate a solution.


me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see what problem there is here to negotiate. I think Colt was clear that she will never be in enthusiastic agreement to his solution of BDSM etc. as a means to fulfill his need for sex.

Colt, are you otherwise meeting the need of SF? If he keeps badgering you about this way of meeting SF instead of throwing that nonworkable solution away, then you seriously need to consider the article "When to call it quits."





xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see what problem there is here to negotiate. I think Colt was clear that she will never be in enthusiastic agreement to his solution of BDSM etc. as a means to fulfill his need for sex.

Colt, are you otherwise meeting the need of SF? If he keeps badgering you about this way of meeting SF instead of throwing that nonworkable solution away, then you seriously need to consider the article "When to call it quits."
If the scope of the discussion is only whether or not he can have it his way, well then, it will get nowhere. This couple needs to POJA the entire topic of SF. There have got to be ways that they can both be enthusiastic. This problem should not be approached as dueling dictators; he makes a demand and she says no way. They need to work the problem with POJA.


me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,123
Likes: 1
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,123
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by colt751
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---


Yeah.... he should stop watching porn...


"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Originally Posted by colt751
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---


Yeah.... he should stop watching porn...

Yep.


xFWW(me)-48
Married-14 years
D-Day~23-May-11
NC- 14-Apr-11
1 DS 15
Online course July '11 to July '12
17 sessions with S. Harley Feb '12 to Sep '12
Divorced Jan 21, 2013
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,433
Originally Posted by LifetimeLearner
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Originally Posted by colt751
My husband says that I am not meeting his sexual "need" for BDSM/spanking/anal sex---


Yeah.... he should stop watching porn...

Yep.
Absolutely.

Let me clarify what I am trying to say:

POJA steps:
1) Suspension of SF.
2) Open discussion.
3) Find those solutions to SF that you are both enthusiastic about.
4) Close discussion.
5) Resume SF in compliance with the agreement.

If he ever wants to suggest X,Y, or Z that is not included in the agreement above, then you can reopen the discussion, starting with step 1.



Last edited by mrEureka; 07/22/13 04:18 PM. Reason: clarification

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Thank you all. I appreciate the clarity and confirmation. Yeah, I wish our whole society had never been influenced by porn. However, I am encouraged to continue to cheerfully suggest the use of POJA, affirming willingness to meet ALL HIS SF needs.....in a mutually satisfying fashion. Just wondered if there was another approach, but sounds like I just need to concentrate on the cheerful willing attitude to negotiate within the POJA without any emotional or angry outbursts on my part. Thanks all. Will endeavor to carry on and hope for the best!

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
Originally Posted by colt751
Thank you all. I appreciate the clarity and confirmation. Yeah, I wish our whole society had never been influenced by porn. However, I am encouraged to continue to cheerfully suggest the use of POJA, affirming willingness to meet ALL HIS SF needs.....in a mutually satisfying fashion. Just wondered if there was another approach, but sounds like I just need to concentrate on the cheerful willing attitude to negotiate within the POJA without any emotional or angry outbursts on my part. Thanks all. Will endeavor to carry on and hope for the best!
Does your husband view porn, colt? This is a form of infidelity and creates an atmosphere of unrealistic sexual activities for a married couple. He should not be viewing porn. The people depicted on porn websites are out for the money they can make from depicting behavior that is unrealistic and/or deviant for many/most married couples.

Your husband needs to stop viewing porn if he is doing so. Have you discussed this with him?


D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by maritalbliss
Originally Posted by colt751
Thank you all. I appreciate the clarity and confirmation. Yeah, I wish our whole society had never been influenced by porn. However, I am encouraged to continue to cheerfully suggest the use of POJA, affirming willingness to meet ALL HIS SF needs.....in a mutually satisfying fashion. Just wondered if there was another approach, but sounds like I just need to concentrate on the cheerful willing attitude to negotiate within the POJA without any emotional or angry outbursts on my part. Thanks all. Will endeavor to carry on and hope for the best!
Does your husband view porn, colt? This is a form of infidelity and creates an atmosphere of unrealistic sexual activities for a married couple. He should not be viewing porn. The people depicted on porn websites are out for the money they can make from depicting behavior that is unrealistic and/or deviant for many/most married couples.

Your husband needs to stop viewing porn if he is doing so. Have you discussed this with him?

colt, I want to chime in and second this. Pornography is usually offensive to most wives, and your husband needs to stop any behavior that is offensive to you. Moreover, even if you are not bothered by it, it creates unrealistic expectations (as maritalbliss noted, people in pornography are depicting very unrealistic acts that are usually not pleasurable to both husband and wife - instead they are getting financial compensation), and it creates a contrast effect: you will look less appealing by comparison.

I encourage you to tell your husband that you are not okay with him viewing porn, and to check up on him to verify that he does not use it. My wife previously used monitoring software on my computer to secretly check that I was not viewing porn, and I think that this is a great idea.


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,481
Likes: 6
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,481
Likes: 6

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Uh, where do I begin. I can't tell you how many couples I've counseled where one spouse did just what you suggested -- sacrifice their own enjoyment for the pleasure of their spouse.

The reason I'm counseling them, of course, is that the one doing the sacrificing eventually can't take giving without receiving anymore, and wants a divorce.

One recent cases that comes to mind is a pastor's wife. He gave your message to his wife throughout their marriage. They have reconciled, but only because he finally understands the concept of mutual care. Unless both he and his wife enjoy their sexual experience, she comes to hate it. Now they make love almost every day, not out of sacrifice, but out of mutual enthusiastic agreement. By the way, they've given up OS.

It's dangerous stuff you're recommending. It ruins marriages.


FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.



Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
BrainHurts--Where is this quotation from? And do you know who it addressed? I have a guess but would like to know.

To all--Thank you again. Husband not a regular viewer of porn--at least not historically. But probably exposed as a youth and has "stumbled across" some on internet. Thus, the seeds become implanted in the mind. I do not think regular porn VIEWING--but I know he has exposed himself to some porn literature--which ultimately promotes the same thing---a VERY unrealistic (and definitely not love-based) depiction of a marital relationship. I have communicated that any porn (pics or literature) is unacceptable to me. I am hoping that a commitment to POJA combined with a non-judgmental, non-emotional reaction on my part will result in an eventual realization that self-interest (vs mutual care) is counter-productive to his own ultimate happiness. Thank you for the confirmation. I have to concentrate on not getting upset over his "desires" and just pointing back to agreement of POJA and hope for the best. I believe if I stay firm and cheerful it will just eventually force his decision. To desire mutuality or to choose to not be married. If I do my part to meet his needs as best I can without sacrificing my convictions it will reveal his true desires....marriage or self.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,481
Likes: 6
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 20,481
Likes: 6
Here it is.
Lightsout's Thread


FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.



Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Thank you.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
Your husband might understand it this way... Financial support is also one of the ENs. Would it really be a need if the wife stated telling the husband that he needed to make $500,000 in order to feel supported. And that part of meeting her need for FS would be welt trips to the salon, nail place, clothing shopping, and etc

I understand that you do not like spanking, bandage, and anal. You should most definitely tell him that you are not comfortable with these things. I would not tell him that you think they're gross and other adjectives that would make him ashamed. My wife loves *EDIT* on occasion and at times finds *EDIT* very enjoyable. We both like to try new things but we also are okay with saying 'no. I didn't enjoy that' or 'no. I'm not comfortable in trying that.' What we won't do is make each other feel embarrassed.

Last edited by Mizar; 07/23/13 08:44 AM. Reason: TMI

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 10
Good Point about Financial Support. Good idea to use an example from a different EN to put things in perspective. I think that may help. Thanks.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,171
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,171
If what he desires is a deal breaker for him, then he should have married someone who was enthusiastic about meeting that need.
Much like if you really love Hiking and wanted to Hike all the time and Hike with your spouse, you should marry someone else who also loves hiking and not a homebody.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 12,357
Originally Posted by wannabophim
If what he desires is a deal breaker for him, then he should have married someone who was enthusiastic about meeting that need.
Much like if you really love Hiking and wanted to Hike all the time and Hike with your spouse, you should marry someone else who also loves hiking and not a homebody.
But this is looking at the past. The point is that they are married NOW and they NOW need to POJA a mutually agreeable answer to their issues.


D-Day 2-10-2009
Fully Recovered and Better Than Ever!
Thank you Marriage Builders!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0