Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
E
Why not just ask if now is a good time to take on the discussion/troubleshooting, and so forth.

He was giving hints that he didn't want to talk about it. He said "I'm tired..."

One of you should have opened the discussion about when to address it. You wanted to do it now, based on what you were saying "I know, but that won't help us solve this problem..."

You were focused on the problem and missing how your husband felt about it. (Tired and not interested in taking on the matter.)

Should he be more direct? Of course? Should you understand when he's indirectly indicating he doesn't want to do it? Of course.

It is possible that from his perspective, your persistence about this topic came across as yelling or something similar.

AnaR #2747347 08/05/13 09:45 AM
E
E
Originally Posted by AnaR
Earlier today something else happened. We have bought a new "smart tv" and my husband cannot get the sound to come out through the speakers.

Anyway, I was brainstorming with him about how we could solve it and asking questions as I've always been the one to work out electronics. He kept saying it had been a long day - he said this before and I acknowledged it more than once, but on the last time I said "I know, but that won't help us solve this problem and I went on to ask him about connections etc"
OK, but are you really acknowledging it if you persist on trying to engage him? It's like saying yes stepping on your foot hurts and then you keep stepping on his foot.

He accused me of "yelling and screaming" at him. This was totally and utterly false. I did not do this, or anything like it. He said later I did raise my voice, which is possible as birds are screeching, the heating was blowing down from the ceiling and making one din - and to top it off I am more than half deaf - which means I either mumble or talk loudly, but no - according to him I "yelled and screamed."
So what is it? You say you talk loudly. Is it possible you were louder than usual? After all, from your account, your focus was on accomplishing your goal. It's quite possible that from his perspective, given all that you've said here, that you were yelling or at least talking more loudly and more animated than usual.
I stated politely several times that I did not do this - it made no difference - he maintained I did.

Arguing about if you did or didn't doesn't solve the problem. He's told you in several ways how he feels and I don't see much indication that you really care much about his perspective. (not saying he cares about yours, but he's not here, you are.)

I quietly said I was going into my office as I was not going to deal with him while he was making false accusations against me.

Discounting his perspective is not a good way to build a loving marriage.
After a couple of hours I went and showered and got into bed with some water as I get very nervous when he gets like that and my stomach started acting up. There was no apology for hours and hours and I missed my dinner through feeling sick - whilst he ate his dinner and chocolates. He said it was my choice not to eat my dinner. There isn't much of a choice when you feel extremely sick - but he doesn't care about that. He says I cause my own stomach problems and it's nothing to do with him.

I see his point. You were focused more on getting sound from the TV than the fact that he said he was tired and that he felt like you were yelling at him.

From his perspective, your ill feelings are self-inflicted.
I was later told by him that he was going to act normal with or without me.

Judgmental on his part. He's trying to stay out of what he perceives as your manufactured drama.
He did finally end up saying he had exaggerated - and I said 'but that's lying', and he doesn't deny or acknowledge that.

This was your opening to suggest that it may seem like that at the time and apologize for continuing to pressure him to get involved with your objective when he's clearly said he's tired.

What I don't know how to handle is when a false accusation is levelled against me, how do I deal with it, and how do I deal with my body feeling like it's speeding at 100 miles an hour from internal anxiety?
Why not start with how to handle when he says he's tired. That statement is like a warning sign on the road. Conditions are less than favorable. I'm tired is the emotional equivalent to "Ice on the Road" or some such sign that warns you to proceed cautiously.

If you go full speed ahead, there is greater risk of a bad outcome.

You went full speed ahead with trying to get sound from the TV and you had an accident. Now you are trying to blame the road for the accident.
When we discuss emotional abuse he is clearly of the mind that physical abuse is far worse. Considering that more suicides come out of emotional abuse I beg to differ - from experience and knowing that at this point in time I wish I wasn't on this earth.

I'd suggest to him that emotional abuse is just as bad. So when he said he was tired and you persisted in trying to get him to engage the way you thought he should, you were emotionally abusing him, full stop.

If he were here, I would point out your emotionally abusive tactics and suggest that he simply walk away when you try that again. I would suggest to him that he be more direct and proactive. That he should say more than just I'm tired. He should say I'm tired and I want to get some rest before we tackle this.

If you keep on, I would simply suggest he walk away and return later.

I do not believe this man loves me. I can't feel it at all and I haven't for a very very long time, and I'd take a polygraph on this.

I don't believe you love him. You were more concerned about getting sound from a TV than the fact that your husband was tired.

You are more concerned that he exaggerated than the fact that your husband feels like you yell at him.

I'm not saying he's an angel here. I'm saying from your own account, you have plenty on your side of the street to clean up before being too concerned about what flaws you may think he has.
It's our 25th wedding anniversary soon - and I so wish it wasn't - not just yet.

He says he is a good husband. Maybe it IS all my fault - I just don't know anymore. I really don't.

You think you are a good wife, he thinks he's a good husband. I doubt it's all your fault. I doubt it's all his fault. But in the exchange you outline, there is much you could have done differently which likely would have elicited a far different outcome.

A
AnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Have you emailed the Harleys?

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

No, I haven't done that as yet, but it appears we need more help than either this forum or an email can give. My final post in this thread will explain.

Thanks BH smile

A
AnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Ana I think the problems in your marriage are more than a DIY project. Wht do you think? What kind of support do you think would set your marriage up for success? Have you read the When to Call It Quits newsletters in the newsletters part of the forum? I think they will help you let these temporary circumstances sink back into perspective.

When your H acts this way, it's out of being a Renter, looking at short term getting his way, instead of being a Buyer, making choices that make your life happy and joyous together long term. But it's okay, look at those articles. You have options, you are not alone.

Hi NewEveryDay,

No, please don't blame my husband. I thank you dearly, but the problem is a medical one. Please read my final post as he's not a renter, but he needs help and kindness from me.

Ana. smile

A
AnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by optimism
Earlier today something else happened. We have bought a new "smart tv" and my husband cannot get the sound to come out through the speakers.

Anyway, I was brainstorming with him about how we could solve it and asking questions as I've always been the one to work out electronics. He kept saying it had been a long day - he said this before and I acknowledged it more than once, but on the last time I said "I know, but that won't help us solve this problem and I went on to ask him about connections etc"

He accused me of "yelling and screaming" at him. This was totally and utterly false. I did not do this, or anything like it. He said later I did raise my voice, which is possible as birds are screeching, the heating was blowing down from the ceiling and making one din - and to top it off I am more than half deaf - which means I either mumble or talk loudly, but no - according to him I "yelled and screamed."

I stated politely several times that I did not do this - it made no difference - he maintained I did.

I quietly said I was going into my office as I was not going to deal with him while he was making false accusations against me.

After a couple of hours I went and showered and got into bed with some water as I get very nervous when he gets like that and my stomach started acting up. There was no apology for hours and hours and I missed my dinner through feeling sick - whilst he ate his dinner and chocolates. He said it was my choice not to eat my dinner. There isn't much of a choice when you feel extremely sick - but he doesn't care about that. He says I cause my own stomach problems and it's nothing to do with him.

He did finally end up saying he had exaggerated - and I said 'but that's lying', and he doesn't deny or acknowledge that.

What I don't know how to handle is when a false accusation is levelled against me, how do I deal with it, and how do I deal with my body feeling like it's speeding at 100 miles an hour from internal anxiety?

When we discuss emotional abuse he is clearly of the mind that physical abuse is far worse. Considering that more suicides come out of emotional abuse I beg to differ - from experience and knowing that at this point in time I wish I wasn't on this earth.

I do not believe this man loves me. I can't feel it at all and I haven't for a very very long time, and I'd take a polygraph on this.

It's our 25th wedding anniversary soon - and I so wish it wasn't - not just yet.

He says he is a good husband. Maybe it IS all my fault - I just don't know anymore. I really don't.

Ana,
I've just started to get a handle on this one myself...43 years and 1 broken marriage later.

What I've found in my MB marriage is that those "accusations" aren't so much accusations as accurate descriptions of the other person's perceptions. I've had to really struggle with this because although I don't believe i have a big need for Admiration, all my life I've not taken criticism very well. So when my wife says things that sound like criticism, instead of hearing "complaint" and an opportunity to eliminate a LB, or increase $LB deposits; I have tended to get defensive.

Obviously a way to overcome this has been to understand and adhere to MB principles. But to suppliment that I have found some guidance in scripture. Someone can site chapter and verse for me but the Psalm (I believe) describes Love with "Love is kind......Love is NOT DEFENSIVE....."

So, I've been trying really hard not to get defensive when I hear things like that..."you're driving too fast, you forgot to turn off the basement light..." this type of thing.

Also, trying to see things from the other person's perspective goes a long way. If someone is really tired, tense, etc, then a slight voice raise may sound like "yelling and screaming."

These were just some thoughts I had as I read your latest post here.

Opt

Hello Optimism,

Thank you. You make a lot of sense, and I too have always loved the scripture from Psalms.

However, I'm not in a position to start trying to fix anything at the moment - I just need to be strong for my husband. My last post in this thread will explain all.

Thank you so much. Your post is very mature in the nature of loving, and despite all else, I take what you have said seriously. I have much to improve myself.

Thank you again!!!

Ana

A
AnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Enlightened_Ex

OK, but are you really acknowledging it if you persist on trying to engage him? It's like saying yes stepping on your foot hurts and then you keep stepping on his foot.

So what is it? You say you talk loudly. Is it possible you were louder than usual? After all, from your account, your focus was on accomplishing your goal. It's quite possible that from his perspective, given all that you've said here, that you were yelling or at least talking more loudly and more animated than usual.

Arguing about if you did or didn't doesn't solve the problem. He's told you in several ways how he feels and I don't see much indication that you really care much about his perspective. (not saying he cares about yours, but he's not here, you are.)

Discounting his perspective is not a good way to build a loving marriage.

I see his point. You were focused more on getting sound from the TV than the fact that he said he was tired and that he felt like you were yelling at him.

From his perspective, your ill feelings are self-inflicted.

Judgmental on his part. He's trying to stay out of what he perceives as your manufactured drama.

This was your opening to suggest that it may seem like that at the time and apologize for continuing to pressure him to get involved with your objective when he's clearly said he's tired.

Why not start with how to handle when he says he's tired. That statement is like a warning sign on the road. Conditions are less than favorable. I'm tired is the emotional equivalent to "Ice on the Road" or some such sign that warns you to proceed cautiously.

If you go full speed ahead, there is greater risk of a bad outcome.

You went full speed ahead with trying to get sound from the TV and you had an accident. Now you are trying to blame the road for the accident.

I'd suggest to him that emotional abuse is just as bad. So when he said he was tired and you persisted in trying to get him to engage the way you thought he should, you were emotionally abusing him, full stop.

If he were here, I would point out your emotionally abusive tactics and suggest that he simply walk away when you try that again. I would suggest to him that he be more direct and proactive. That he should say more than just I'm tired. He should say I'm tired and I want to get some rest before we tackle this.

If you keep on, I would simply suggest he walk away and return later.

I don't believe you love him. You were more concerned about getting sound from a TV than the fact that your husband was tired.

You are more concerned that he exaggerated than the fact that your husband feels like you yell at him.

I'm not saying he's an angel here. I'm saying from your own account, you have plenty on your side of the street to clean up before being too concerned about what flaws you may think he has.

You think you are a good wife, he thinks he's a good husband. I doubt it's all your fault. I doubt it's all his fault. But in the exchange you outline, there is much you could have done differently which likely would have elicited a far different outcome.

Hi Enlightened,

Thank you for the time it took to write what you have. Some of it makes sense, and in light of what I now know, much of it doesn't.

My husband never said he was tired. He was saying he wanted to fix the sound over and over as well as saying it had been a long day. I was getting double messages for 2 whole days, but there was a reason. I did not realise this at the time. Please read my post after this. It may make sense as to why I sound as I did, and why I didn't know how to deal with it.

Thank you very much,
Ana.

AnaR #2747399 08/05/13 11:45 AM
A
AnaR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
For those wanting to know why all of what I wrote happened, there is a reason, and it's one I believe even Dr Harley would tell us to get help for.

My husband was placed on Doxepin for hormonal imbalance a few weeks ago. The first tablet he was ok. The second was reasonable, although he appeared a little more irritable than usual, but neither of us related this to the medication.

The third tablet brought about a minor angry outburst, a radical flattening of his usual personality, and more or far higher energy. Again, neither of us related it to the medication, and he settled.

The fourth tablet was commenced 3 nights ago. The next morning he was talking very fast, rapid and hard for me to keep track. He had AO'S throughout all I described, and yet still wanted to engage me even when I felt too scared to be engaged with him.

Today he was refused a CPAP machine until he spends enough time on one diagnostically and off the Doxepin which he has to come off of slowly due to a medication reaction. My husband has NO true recall of anything that was said by either party. He was flying high and says he still feels very agitated and still very "up" but a little better since coming down from the fourth tablet.

We're both sad this happened, and yes, I know he loves me - this was not the new him I had come to fall in love with again.

I love my husband with every fibre of my being and will love and support him through whatever needs be.

Since starting this thread it is on the upping of the medication that there was any problems. Before that, all was well. He is now sleeping peacefully but is scared he has lost time. I'm now more worried about him.

To anyone else who may read this - if your partner starts acting differently after a new drug has been commenced - please, please, always question the drug rather than your partner as I did.

Ana.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation