Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Old enough to be a parent.
Not old enough to be a grandparent.

W
W
Originally Posted by TheRoad
Old enough to be a parent.
Not old enough to be a grandparent.

I was a parent at 18. I wouldn't consider that middle aged.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
K
K
I think what TheRoad meant was, you're old enough to have kids who are maybe teens or a little older, but you aren't a grandparent yet.

One year becomes two, two years becomes five, five becomes ten and before you know it, you've wasted your whole life on a problem you can't solve. That's one way to spend your life. -rwinger

I will not spend my life this way.
W
W
Originally Posted by karmasrose
I think what TheRoad meant was, you're old enough to have kids who are maybe teens or a little older, but you aren't a grandparent yet.

Probably, though I think many people become grandparents when they are middle aged. My mother was a grandparent in her mid-40's. My oldest son is 24 now and I'm 42, so I'll probably be a middle-aged grandparent as well.

H
H
Middle age is that difficult period between juvenile delinquency and senior citizenship when a fellow doesn't know which generation to complain about.

Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Middle age is when your wife gives up sex for Lent, and you don't know till the 4th of July.

Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
T
T
Originally Posted by karmasrose

Thank you. laugh

I made a general response. Many people have kids in their late 30's and up so they can be middle aged and still have kids that are in grade school.

Yes teenagers can get pregnant and some do when they are still teenagers. Know one would call them middle aged

There is no exact age for being middle aged. Becoming a parent when a minor or becoming a parent when old enough to collect social security will not make them middle aged.

Another way to define middle age is that people that are under 30 are young. At 29 people can still say they are in their 20's. Once they hit the big 30 they are not young any more. At 30 time to be mature, responsible, productive adults. Because a 50 year old acts like a 20 year old it does not make him young. People of 60 are old. The span in between the middle group of years, the 30 to 59 year olds are middle aged.

Though as you can see those that live to be only 62 their last third of their life defined by a title was not truly one third of their life.

Also when people wish they could start their life back over they say if I could be in my 20's again with what I know now. Notice people do not use the age of 30's or above in that phrase. So another way to support that middle age starts at 30. And they say that phrase once they hit 60 because their retirement plans and or state of health are no where near what they will need to get them through the last third of their life no matter how many years past 60 maybe left.

It can be suggested middle age is a state of mind. No one past 60 is middle aged no matter what they think, do, say, act, or even if they still, simply look marvelous.

Last edited by TheRoad; 09/22/13 08:59 AM.
W
W
Here is the best answer I was able to find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age

M
M
I think of the word middle...or the concept of halfway.

If I live to be 90, then 45 is the middle.

Then again I have spent a lot of time with small children so I tend to be literal.

M
M
Originally Posted by mozilla

Then again I have spent a lot of time with small children so I tend to be literal.

I am with you, Mozilla! That is how I have always viewed middle age.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

W
W
Originally Posted by mozilla

Technically, I think this is true. The only problem with it is, we have no idea how long we're going to live. So we won't really know what our individual "middle age" was until after the fact.

But in general, I think the 40's to mid-50's would cover it for most people.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 612 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation