Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 39 of 44 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 43 44
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
Originally Posted by fifteenyears
I'm sorry,shouldn't my H get some kind if say in whether is not this friend is a trigger? If he says that she is not a trigger at all as long as we don't have to go to the neighborhood then should I tell him that he is wrong and even though we have talked about it openly?

That's what I mean by black and white. No matter how detailed someone is on here, no one on this board can see the entire picture, the gray areas.

Yes, I might do that. I have actually been on the show once before. I listen to the radio show almost every day. I do feel we have a lot of gray areas.

As peers, no. Posters do not generally do gray areas. If you want advice on such gray areas, I would recommend writing the radio show. Why? Because posters defer to the mental health professional who founded this program.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
I don't want to just survive my affair, I want to recover from it!
H
H
Originally Posted by HoldHerHand
I'm sorry,shouldn't my H get some kind if say in whether is not this friend is a trigger? If he says that she is not a trigger at all as long as we don't have to go to the neighborhood then should I tell him that he is wrong and even though we have talked about it openly?

That's what I mean by black and white. No matter how detailed someone is on here, no one on this board can see the entire picture, the gray areas.

As peers, no. Posters do not generally do gray areas. If you want advice on such gray areas, I would recommend writing the radio show. Why? Because posters defer to the mental health professional who founded this program.

Yes, I might do that. I have actually been on the show once before. I listen to the radio show almost every day. I do feel we have a lot of gray areas.

If you listen almost daily, you've heard more differentiation than I have.

That's your best shot for "gray areas."

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
B
B
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Are you going to email Dr. Harley? Then you and your BH can be on the show together.

What do you think?
This probably got lost.

What do you think?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

N
N
...shouldn't my H get some kind if say in whether is not this friend is a trigger?

Please stop trying to change the basis for this discussion. It is not the "friend" that is the trigger we are discussing. It is the physical proximity of this child's home to OM's house.

And as far as the answer to your question: NO! Your husband has not been as active on this site, asking meaningful questions, and absorbing much of what is here. (Had he been there would likely have been no RA.) He is also not the one that initiated the series of actions that eventually brought the two of you to where you are today.

Crazy NG analogy time: Your question is like asking "Shouldn't my car get some kind if say in whether is not its gas filter is becoming clogged?" The answer here would be "NO" as well. Your car is unable to detect the subtle effects of increasing blockage. (Apologies to hubby, but he's likely about as clueless.) And there is usually NO indicator of blockage until is virtually 100% blocked, at which point the whole thing fails. (Again, much like hubby. But where the car's failure is "I won't GO", hubby's is "I won't STAY".)

The intelligent car-owner, looking for long-term utility of the vehicle, will insist on regular replacement of the gas filter as part of a periodic tune-up. That is the error you committed, kiddo. You did not act proactively enough in maintaining your engine's performance.

P
P
my H said that he would not allow what I did affect our daughters friendship

15, I just wanted to say that I was your BH a few years ago. I wanted my kid's life to go on as usual and I tried to suck it up and be strong when I ran into OW. I agonized over moving and having the kids change schools.

I ended up starting to despise my FWH because the affair was always on my mind as I was always looking over my shoulder and trying to avoid the OW. I wanted my FWH to take control and protect me...I was tired of being the bad guy who had to make the tough decisions. I was ready to throw in the towel and threatened to many times. That was before I found MB.

But my recovery was more than just moving. I also had to change my own thoughts and attitude...such as focus on who WH was now and stop talking about the affair. Moving was a huge part in our recovery but it went hand in hand with the whole MB philosophy.

I agree that both your WH and you would benefit greatly by talking to the Harley's. They can give you direction and take away the worry of one of you looking controlling or needy or disrespectful...

Your BH may say that he is not triggered...but it certainly looks like he is.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
...shouldn't my H get some kind if say in whether is not this friend is a trigger?

Please stop trying to change the basis for this discussion. It is not the "friend" that is the trigger we are discussing. It is the physical proximity of this child's home to OM's house.

And as far as the answer to your question: NO! Your husband has not been as active on this site, asking meaningful questions, and absorbing much of what is here. (Had he been there would likely have been no RA.) He is also not the one that initiated the series of actions that eventually brought the two of you to where you are today.

Crazy NG analogy time: Your question is like asking "Shouldn't my car get some kind if say in whether is not its gas filter is becoming clogged?" The answer here would be "NO" as well. Your car is unable to detect the subtle effects of increasing blockage. (Apologies to hubby, but he's likely about as clueless.) And there is usually NO indicator of blockage until is virtually 100% blocked, at which point the whole thing fails. (Again, much like hubby. But where the car's failure is "I won't GO", hubby's is "I won't STAY".)

The intelligent car-owner, looking for long-term utility of the vehicle, will insist on regular replacement of the gas filter as part of a periodic tune-up. That is the error you committed, kiddo. You did not act proactively enough in maintaining your engine's performance.

Thank you NG. Your analogies always help me see things clearly. I know that I have gotten off the narrow recovery path. Not intentionally but now I do see that while I thought I was doing enough to protect my H, I was not. Thank you for guiding me rather than judging me.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by pokerface
my H said that he would not allow what I did affect our daughters friendship

15, I just wanted to say that I was your BH a few years ago. I wanted my kid's life to go on as usual and I tried to suck it up and be strong when I ran into OW. I agonized over moving and having the kids change schools.

I ended up starting to despise my FWH because the affair was always on my mind as I was always looking over my shoulder and trying to avoid the OW. I wanted my FWH to take control and protect me...I was tired of being the bad guy who had to make the tough decisions. I was ready to throw in the towel and threatened to many times. That was before I found MB.

But my recovery was more than just moving. I also had to change my own thoughts and attitude...such as focus on who WH was now and stop talking about the affair. Moving was a huge part in our recovery but it went hand in hand with the whole MB philosophy.

I agree that both your WH and you would benefit greatly by talking to the Harley's. They can give you direction and take away the worry of one of you looking controlling or needy or disrespectful...

Your BH may say that he is not triggered...but it certainly looks like he is.

Thank you Poker. I always helps to hear from people in the same shoes and see what they have done to make the necessary changes to save their marriage. I have gotten lazy and have not been protecting Mr. XVY. He has not been protecting himself either, probably because he does not know how. I am going to send this to him and hope he reads. I am also going to contact Dr. H today.

fifteen

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
P
P
He has not been protecting himself either, probably because he does not know how.
fifteen

Bingo. I had to learn how to change my thoughts and make the choice to stop punishing my WH for his past mistakes. It was not easy.

I know you are sincere 15. Good luck.

ME: BW
HIM: FWH
Married 18 yrs
DDay 09/2008 and 12/2008

Recovered

B
B
Are you going to email Dr. Harley? Then you and your BH can be on the show together.

What do you think?
This probably got lost.

What do you think?
I think it's fantastic that you'll be contacting Dr. Harley. Let us know.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

F
F

Sorry to hear of the struggles. I don't have any advice--just wanted you to know that I'm reading and thinking of you.

FF

me: FWW/BW
Married 20 years, 4 kids
We made it.
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by FindingFreedom

Sorry to hear of the struggles. I don't have any advice--just wanted you to know that I'm reading and thinking of you.

FF

Thank you FF! I am reading and thinking about you as well. Its funny the moment you think things are going well, the affects of your affair come back around and smack the reality right back into you.

Hang in there!!

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Just an update and a request for thoughts and prayers today.

Mr. XVY is still at the house but it feels like it did at the beginning. He is cold except during sex. We do make small talk but at times it seems forced.

Today it is a year to the day that he decided last year to start fresh. I asked him if we would be willing to go out to dinner with me, my treat and talk about everything and where we go from here.

I am very scared just thinking about it. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I am hoping that my MB skills and your advice and suggestions all come out clearly tonight. I am hoping that he responds but am also open for worst case scenario.

I am however willing to do whatever it takes to stop the triggers and make things right. Move, change jobs, end my daughters friendship...whatever it takes to help him.

I emailed Joyce the other day about the triggers and have not heard back. Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to respond? I feel like the last time I sent an email I heard back from her right away and got a phone call about being on the radio a couple days later.

Thanks again,

XVY

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
N
N
I asked him if he would be willing to go out to dinner with me, my treat... This is very good.

...and talk about everything and where we go from here. This, not so much!

Do you recall the dinner/interview pep-talk I gave you a year ago? Re-read it! Remember, this is an opportunity to present the best XVY possible - alluring, provocative, enticing. None of that is elevated by starting off the evening by bringing up painful events of the past.

What you DO want to bring up are the palliative actions and events of the past year - vacations, family events, progeny accomplishment, tender moments - and forecast their continuation/enhancement.

Sell, sell, sell.......

How much UA time have you been getting?

Can he identify specific things that would help him feel safe and to fall back in love with you? What specifically is triggering him?

Clearmind tells me every day 'I have had no inappropriate conversations, no one is making any LB deposits, no deleting of any emails or texts without talking to you first etc..'

She reassures me daily of her feelings for me and makes great effort to make me feel safe. I can tell you that this has had a huge impact on my ability to feel safe in this M. AND for my feeling to start to return for her.

She tells me when she goes to work, when she gets there, when she is going to lunch, when she gets back in the office..etc.

These are all things that she WANTS to do to make me feel safe.

What can you do?

Removing as many triggers as you can from your environment is extremely important.

Do you talk about the past at all? I am to the point that I don't care to talk about even what we did last weekend. My focus is on today and tomorrow at this point. Living in the now is helping us move forward....not back.

Finally, as hard as it is, you must be patient. We are right at 1yr 9mo's into R and specifically, we have seen much improvement in just the last 3 months.

Hope this gives you some encouragement.

J
J
I asked him if we would be willing to go out to dinner with me, my treat
This may be a non-issue, but I'm wondering why you made a point of telling your husband that you wanted to pay for dinner. It wouldn't make any sense for you to say "my treat" unless you and your husband keep at least some of your finances separate from each other. Is that the case? If so, why?

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by NeverGuessed
I asked him if he would be willing to go out to dinner with me, my treat... This is very good.

...and talk about everything and where we go from here. This, not so much!

Do you recall the dinner/interview pep-talk I gave you a year ago? Re-read it! Remember, this is an opportunity to present the best XVY possible - alluring, provocative, enticing. None of that is elevated by starting off the evening by bringing up painful events of the past.

What you DO want to bring up are the palliative actions and events of the past year - vacations, family events, progeny accomplishment, tender moments - and forecast their continuation/enhancement.

Sell, sell, sell.......

I will surely try and I want it to be an enjoyable dinner. I think that is why I am so anxious because instead of making it "the dinner to remember" I have made it "the dinner I want to forget" before it has even happened.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
How much UA time have you been getting?

Not enough. Since school started we have both been busy and our UA time has gone down hill. In addition, since running into OM last week, H has been distant towards me.

Can he identify specific things that would help him feel safe and to fall back in love with you? What specifically is triggering him?

[b]Yes, I think he can and wish he would. Early on in our recovery he did start to tell me things that triggered him. He has not done that in awhile, that may be the problem. I almost want to take your words above and turn them into questions and ask him.[/b]

Clearmind tells me every day 'I have had no inappropriate conversations, no one is making any LB deposits, no deleting of any emails or texts without talking to you first etc..'

I need to do that. I do always ask/tell my H what I am doing. I go to the gym with my daughter and never go alone. Anywhere I go that I think might make him feel unsafe, I take one of my children or don't go. I really think that not telling him about seeing OM a few months back set him back and I did not handle it appropriately. We both just kind of let it go instead of discussing how it made us feel. I still remember your response to me not telling him right away. I think he probably had a very similar response but kept it inside. Actually seeing OM, made these feelings explode inside and now we are in a very bad spot.

She reassures me daily of her feelings for me and makes great effort to make me feel safe. I can tell you that this has had a huge impact on my ability to feel safe in this M. AND for my feeling to start to return for her.

I do feel like I tell him I love him all of the time and try to show him.

She tells me when she goes to work, when she gets there, when she is going to lunch, when she gets back in the office..etc.

These are all things that she WANTS to do to make me feel safe.

What can you do?

I was doing this as well to make my H feel safe. I am not going to lie, I started slacking a little as far as texting him always to let him know things. Just a little but I can see by your words that a LITTLE goes a LONG way.

Removing as many triggers as you can from your environment is extremely important.

Yes, I know this. I am to the point that I am willing to do whatever it is he needs me to do. I know the most obvious changes and triggers but I am sure there are still many more that he has not told me.

Do you talk about the past at all? I am to the point that I don't care to talk about even what we did last weekend. My focus is on today and tomorrow at this point. Living in the now is helping us move forward....not back.

I try not to focus on the past. On Saturday when he told me he wanted a divorce he mentioned that he looked at all of the pictures of us pre-affair vs. post affair. He said his smile is not the same that he can see true happiness in his pre-affair smile but his new smile is forced and fake frown

Finally, as hard as it is, you must be patient. We are right at 1yr 9mo's into R and specifically, we have seen much improvement in just the last 3 months.

Yes, at times I have felt that we have come so far. The past two weeks however I think both of us have taken ten steps back for the five that we took fwd. Now we are stuck and neither of us know how to move fwd.

Hope this gives you some encouragement.

You did give me a lot of valid advice and encouragement. Especially since you and clearmind are in a very similar situation. I have seen your ups and downs on this site and know that it is all part of the process. Thanks again for your honesty!!

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by JessicaClaire
I asked him if we would be willing to go out to dinner with me, my treat
This may be a non-issue, but I'm wondering why you made a point of telling your husband that you wanted to pay for dinner. It wouldn't make any sense for you to say "my treat" unless you and your husband keep at least some of your finances separate from each other. Is that the case? If so, why?

We have an account together and he has a separate account through his work that he has to use for his job. Most of our money and bills comes from our together account but sometimes he uses the other one for dinner, groceries, etc... I just don't want him to do that tonight so I wanted to make it clear that I was going to pay.

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
F
OP Offline
F
NG, Below is the text that I sent him the other day about dinner. Let me know what you think.

Sent at 11:06 on 9/9/13
"I know you feel there is no hope for us, I know you feel resentment towards me, I know I have not done enough to make you feel safe and less triggered. I am just asking for either Friday or Saturday night to do dinner (my treat wherever you want to go) to talk openly and honestly about where we are at and the direction we want to move."

His response was "Okay. Friday would be the best."

Me (WS) Husband (BS)
DS - 15
DD -10
My D-day - 11/12/11

Today Me (BS) H (WS)
D-Day #2 01/14/12
M
M
I am however willing to do whatever it takes to stop the triggers and make things right. Move, change jobs, end my daughters friendship...whatever it takes to help him.

You mean help your marriage, right? It is not about just him. Being in the same town with your OM is not good for you either. IT has been a disaster for your marriage. If you frame this as a something to "help him" then you put everything on his back and that is not fair. Having the OM hanging around in the wings is not good for you either. You need to DEMAND and INSIST that you move and make it your cause. Don't dump this on his head. If you frame this as a measure to help HIM he can dismiss it on that basis. You can't afford to allow that to happen.

Go read KGaa's thread. His wife came to a point where she insisted they move, because she realized their marriage could not survive the triggers.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 39 of 44 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 43 44

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 777 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation