Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
M
M
Ernie, do you have the book His Needs, Her Needs For Parents? There is a section in there on blended families. Dr. Harley recommends that a stepparent NEVER discipline. As your friend Steve suggested, it is far better to be the source of good things to the child.

I'm not sure why you can't hear the radio show. The links are not obsolete. Please try a different computer, a different web browser, a phone, until you find something that can play those links. That information is vital.

You need to get a biofeedback meter as Dr. Harley describes here and learn to relax when you feel frustrated:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_neg.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by Ernie78
There is NO POJA when it comes to my stepdaughter. She definitely does as he pleases and has no repercussions. The punishments my wife gives her are entirely ineffective as there have been no positive results or improvements.

Here is how POJA works when it comes to parenting:
First the two of you negotiate the rules that you will enthusiastically agree to.
Second you negotiate how you are going to enforce them.

In the special case of stepfamilies, Dr. Harley says that even if both husband and wife are enthusiastic about a stepparent disciplining, it is still not going to work out well.

Let me add this: as long as you allow ANY angry outbursts in your life, you are not going to be fit as a parent. You are extraordinarily dangerous for this little girl. When you have an angry outburst, you are temporarily insane. Nobody, not even you, can predict what you will do.

When you feel angry with this little girl, you need to say and do NOTHING, because nothing you are thinking of doing or saying is going to help the problem. It is only going to make the problem worse, Ernie. Anger is not a parenting tool - when does it ever help, in the complicated field of parenting, to be insane for a little while? Is that ever a good idea?

Get those radio show links working so you can hear what Dr. Harley has to say. You need it!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Prisca
What have you learned?

That would take a lot of space to answer completely. I think the biggest thing has been my acknowledgement of having anger issues that need to be dealt with, because I have been in denial that I had a problem for a VERY long time. There is a feeling of freedom that has come from acknowledging that I have a problem.... kind of like "the secret is out" and I don't have to try to conceal it anymore - - Now it can be dealt with, instead of holding it down and denying it.

Another thing that I have realized is just how backwards my whole thought process has been with concern to the kids. God Bless Steve G. and his wife Susan, they have really been a huge help to me lately. Steve had already gone through the things I am experiencing, and he gave me really good advice and a whole new and fresh perspective about being a successful step-parent in a blended family. His words have the been the most helpful to me because he has overcome his weaknesses and has shown how to be the example that God, his wife, and his kids expect him to be.

P
P
From the articles you have read and the shows you have listened to, what have you learned about dealing with anger? How do you eliminate angry outbursts?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Prisca
From the articles you have read and the shows you have listened to, what have you learned about dealing with anger? How do you eliminate angry outbursts?

I do not want you to think I am ignoring your question. I will be responding with more detail. I would like to type out about 1,000 words (or more), and I will in the next day or so.

For the time being, I read a LOT of very interesting things about anger, and realized I had absolutely no idea how true they were for me, and much my thoughts of "imaginary threats" were affecting my behavior.

web search for:'' pathwaytohappiness anger '' <- This has been most helpful to me, and I have been taking the time to read through these.

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/anger/cause-anger.htm
<- This just about described me to a "T".... I was very surprised to see just how similar I was to this character:

Originally Posted by pathway
Anger Example 2. How Self Abuse leads to Anger

David periodically had angry outbursts to his wife for the littlest things. He�s been doing it for years and didn�t know why. After each one he would make a commitment to never do it again. He could will himself to hold back his emotions for so long, but eventually, an outburst would slip out. The result would be a punishing commentary from the voice in his head about what a terrible thing he had done and what a miserable being he was.

In a typical situation David was on vacation driving the car with his wife and kids. His wife grabbed some trash from the center console to clean up the car and that tripped an anger outburst from David. He snapped at her and blurted out, �Leave that alone, I got it,� with toxic venom in his voice. With the kids in the car he got a hold of his words, but fumed inside for many more miles.

You might think that anger is something that would happen to less educated or unaccomplished people. David is neither. He is a doctor. In spite of his education, none of David�s training involved identifying and changing his core beliefs or the way his mind created emotions. With all his intelligence David couldn�t make sense of his outbursts until he began paying attention to his internal dialog and core beliefs. It turns out that they don�t teach these processes in college, or even medical school.

David started applying self awareness and Self Mastery exercises techniques. He used the inventory system outlined in the Self Mastery program to investigate and change the root causes of his anger. By changing his point of view, and increasing his awareness of thoughts, underlying beliefs, and emotions, David has been able to dissolve the large majority of his anger so far, as well as make major changes in other areas of his life.

Finding the root cause of Anger

Through the inventory process David discovered that the root cause of his anger towards his wife was self judgment. He couldn�t see it all those years because he didn�t know how to look at his thoughts from an observer point of view. He also didn�t know how those thoughts were responsible for his emotions. From the observer perspective, and becoming informed about how we create emotions, he could see how his beliefs drove his anger outbursts.

In actuality David adores his wife. He has tremendous love and respect for her. He is amazed at her patience with their kids, how well she keeps the house clean, and keeps everything organized. As far as David is concerned she is wonderful and her behaviors exemplary. However, David�s belief system uses the example of her behavior differently.

David�s unconscious mind uses the behavior of his wife as a standard of comparison for him self. The voice of the Inner Judge in his mind compares his own behaviors to his wife and finds him substandard. This internal dialog is often going on in his background thoughts when he is around her, or just thinking of her.

David�s continual criticism from the voice in his head was so incessant it amounted to emotional self abuse. It hurt emotionally each time his mind compared himself to his wife in certain areas. Belief in all those self judgments created, and then fed emotional wounds. Eventually these self judgments would build up emotional pain to the point that his mind was tired of the pain and had to push back. One way we push back against abuse is with anger.

Since David had no awareness that the pain was from his own self judgments, he blamed whoever was around him. It often showed up around his wife so his belief system assumed that she was the cause of his pain. His outburst of anger was simply a fight or flight defense mechanism trying to stop emotional pain. It�s just that the mind had unconscious beliefs that associated his emotional pain as being caused by other people like his wife. She wasn�t the cause of his emotional pain, but his unconscious mind had agreed that she was.

It would happen so fast

When David�s wife would clean up something around him, like in the car incident, David�s unconscious mind would very quickly run a story. In that story he would compare his own behaviors against the standard of his wife. The inner judge in his mind would conclude he was failing and criticize himself. The anger outburst would happen as a defense against his emotional pain. It would happen so fast that it would surprise his conscious mind.

David began by paying closer attention to what he assumed were insignificant thoughts. Once David was able to identify the false assumptions and beliefs woven in his thoughts, his emotional reactions began to shift. A critical shift happened when he saw how his self judgment created emotional pain that led to an anger reaction. This brought greater skepticism to all the hidden assumptions about his wife being some part of the cause. Suspending his belief in these unconscious assumptions was a big step in gaining control over the outbursts.

Bigger changes happened when David began to dissolve his self judgments. David learned to shift is point of view and that allowed him to suspend belief in his inner critic. Without belief in his inner critic, David�s self criticism lost its power. Once David was no longer so hard on himself his anger reaction began to dissolve.

The next step was to identify and change the beliefs that were driving the self judgments. Without the beliefs that support self judgment, the self criticism dissolves. He no longer needs to manage anger, or attempt to control emotional outbursts. What had been controlling him in so many moments of his past was now gone. David had found a way to cure himself from the angry outbursts by changing his core beliefs.

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/anger/anger-management.htm

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/anger/understanding-anger.htm

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/core_belief_inventory.htm

http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/journal/overcoming-anger/

This was also a good starting point: http://www.wikihow.com/Restrain-Yourself-from-an-Outburst (The first I had read)

Last edited by Ernie78; 10/17/13 10:38 AM.
M
M
Ernie, have you been able to get those radio shows working?

I went through 2-3 different anger management programs. I used Dr. Harley's material on anger management as my "guide" to sift the wheat from the chaff - some anger management material is pretty good, and some is ineffective. Before Dr. Harley did Marriage Builders, he ran a very large chain of mental health clinics, and often did anger management counseling. He even worked (successfully) on several occasions with violent prison inmates who were due to be released back into society and needed to get a job and couldn't keep it if they had even one angry outburst.

On top of that, he overcame anger himself many years ago and brings that experience to bear in his explanations. And he very much makes the case that anger especially in marriage is a disaster.

The daily radio show has been a fantastic resource for me. Get yourself plugged in and "sit in class" with the Dr. every weekday.

M
M
Hi Ernie, welcome to mb. I know I'm chiming in late, I just got back from holidays.

I agree with the other posters here on their suggestion to take some anger management. I myself took some .. Also I got myself a bio feedback device called the GSR2. It was very helpful for me in my process of learning to control my anxiety. You see.. Its really not "anger" per say that's causing you to react emotionaly. Its that anxiety has taken over your response. When your anxiety kicks in it creates a fight,flight, or freeze response to whatever the situation is that's is unfolding and your neuropathways are used to coping with the anxiety in a certain way. The GSR2 tool helps you learn to control the anxiety response. It shows you your ramp up before you even notice it yourself.

For example.. I would be sitting there focusing on the tone the device makes practicing controlling the pitch of the sound and trying to make the tone deeper sounding (high pitch is anxiety going up and as you grasp control the tone begins to move to a deeper sound) my wife would come up to me and say a word like "christmas" .. And that's all it took.. And I would lose my concentration and a bit of anxiety kicks in and up the pitch goes before I even realized it effected me. I would take a deep breath and (like the matrix) free my mind and regain control of the sound of the GSR2. Its not easy.. And takes practice. Once I could get the pitch at a certain sensitivity level I nudge up the sensitivity and start over at the new level. I would even fall asleep trying to control the thing. Its much easier now that I can recognize the anxiety before it gets overwhelming.

So when you get "angry" according to your wifes perspective that is your anxiety kicking in and your brain responds the easiest way it knows how... With an AO. Of course it feels good to relieve that tension but its the wrong approach. No one deserves to be the brunt of someones AO ... And everyone deserves to be treated with kindness and respect and if your wife or SD do or say something that triggers your anxiety. You should tell them "hey what you just said or did is giving me anxiety". That's easier to deal with than your emotional reaction. No one wants to be the cause of anxiety. If your anxiety contonues to rise... Take a walk.. Once adrenaline enters your blood stream it takes 15mins + to get your mind back to rational thinking.

You can repgrogram your responses, it takes a bit of time and you will slip up. Just appoligize, own your anxiety/anger and do better next time... The GSR2 helps you learn to recognize it sooner... Before it tips you over the edge. As for your wifes panic episodes and shaking... Same thing her anxiety is giving her a flight or freeze response (and in you its fight). You can lead your home back to a harmonous state by being the rock for your house... As god intended us husbands to be for our homes.

**edit**

Last edited by MBsurvivor; 10/18/13 06:23 AM. Reason: TOS posing non MB material
M
M
I will be praying for you and your family. Anxiety is a major problem in society today and it comes in all sorts of different ways. You get cold hands... Shake.. Lose your cognitive thinking ability, lose your appetite, get sick.. Become violent, yell, even hurt yourself. Sometimes you can't remember a thing after your head clears.

I pray you learn self control and set the example for everyone in your home even if they are not controlling themselves well. If you feel "anger" /anxiety rise in you its time to go for a walk... Also excercise relieves anxiety somewhat and releases endorphines. Getting rid of those AO's , and controlling your anxiety should be your number one goal. In between get lots of UA time with your wife (dancing, movies, working out together, walks etc).. And find something to relate to your SD with and create a positive atmosphere with her so she sees you in a better light. For me.. I take my DD15 hunting.. We used to butt heads but she's come around now that my calm emotional state pretty much sets the bar for everyone else. From my experience if everyone else in my family is out of control as long as I don't let myself get out of control they all come down to my level and calm down now after a short period as I don't let their emotional state cause me anxiety. (Sorry for rambling)

You can do it... With god we can do anything.

MNG

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
I will be praying for you and your family.

Thank you - I need it.

Really, really, really need it.

My heart is just shattered into a million pieces right now. It's pounding out of my chest, it feels like it is dying.

My wife is so incredibly nice and affectionate to me, if you were in my shoes, and living my life you would think there was nothing wrong right now between us. Especially in the last 24 hours, she has just been so incredibly awesome towards me. She massaged me (in such a loving way) to sleep last night, and even again when I got up for work.

I am just so completely broken by the things she has typed.
I can't handle the 180 degree switch from absolute love towards me, to the about-face typed replies about how much she hates me. It's too much to handle, because the signals and the incredible affection don't match up the typed words. I'm very tortured right now.

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
OK.... I have a personal philosophy about not getting on public forums and saying bad things about my spouse - ever.

I think doing that leads into "he said - she said" type arguments that are immature and not helpful. I don't think it is a healthy way to try to solve marital issues.

The problem I am having right now is the immense and incredible amount of dishonesty from my wife about how things are happening in our marriage and in our home.... and right now, it is scaring the living daylights out of me.

The life I actually am living and the life that I am reading about from her typed responses are at times 180 degree opposites, as well as exaggerations about how events occurred.

I WANT this marriage to work - from my observations at home, I am CONVINCED (without a doubt) that my wife loves me and wants the best for us in our marriage as well. She showers me with affection, then an hour later types out: "just honestly makes me want to pack my bags and leave". The mix of opposite signals is destroying me.

I am pouring nearly everything I have got into making her happy, fulfilling her requests, taking her on dates, giving her affection - - - I am Really seriously genuinely trying to make her happy. She responds directly to me that I am succeeding.

So, now what?

P
P
Only you control how she feels about you, Ernie. What are you going to do to change that?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Ernie, my friend, as one angry man to another:

GET A GRIP.

Your anger has practically destroyed your wife. You have abused her for years.

How about you show some compassion and focus on her hurt right now instead of going on about how much she hurts you? All of this is really just a tool on your part to try to control her. I know, because I did it!

IF you follow through on the suggestions here, you can have a happy and fulfilling marriage. If you ask your wife to settle for less, though, you are basically showing a real lack of remorse for how you have treated her - indicating that you haven't repented, and aren't safe for her.

It's not a 180 degree switch, Ernie - she has been "nice" to you for years by concealing her true feelings. You are the cause of those feelings. NOW, she is telling you the truth - your account in her love bank is BANKRUPT. You can refill it - but not by going on and on about how sad you are and how you wish it was different.

If you want things to change, Ernie, YOU have to change.

M
M
Ernie, please just stick to one thread, so we can see your whole situation at once and give you the best advice possible.

M
M
Ernie - don't punish your wife's honesty, or you will lose this valuable source of information about her feelings. You need this information in order to be able to make course corrections.

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am changing. The level of effort I have been putting into changing (in such a short period of time) for the good/better has been exemplary, almost super-human at times.

Please believe me when I say I have placed an incredible amount of importance on being a better man, husband and father.

However, you should have actually said "You have abused each other for years". That would be an accurate statement.

I wouldn't be feeling abused and "love bustered" if I there weren't also abuse towards me from my wife as well. ;'-(

I
I
Ernie this is just dreadful.

Your wife is making a COMPLAINT.

I dont see any mention of your response to her very important complaints. You dont talk about what is to be done at all.

You dont sound like someone who is glad to receive complaints from your wife.

All you are doing is deflecting and dismissing her complaints.

No one is going to help you do that here.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
I wouldn't be feeling abused and "love bustered" if I there weren't also abuse towards me from my wife as well. ;'-(

If you have a complaint about her, please deal with it AFTER you have dealt with hers regarding you.

Can you please welcome her complaints like a loving husband?

E
Ernie78 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by markos
Ernie - don't punish your wife's honesty,

I can't - and won't -punish her for her honesty.

I feel horribly betrayed by her dishonestly. Maybe you should come live with us a while so you can see both sides of the coin.

Four hours after her last post - she wakes me up by snuggling close to me in bed, wraps her whole body around me, showering me with kisses, and even gives me an erotic massage. What an amazing way to start the day! I was on cloud nine ...... until the wrecking ball landed on me.

I will continue to do the best I can do.

P
P
The problem I am having right now is the immense and incredible amount of dishonesty from my wife about how things are happening in our marriage and in our home....
Her feelings are not dishonest. To say that they are is very disrespectful of you.

The things that she says are happening in your marriage are very real to her. Do not make the mistake of dismissing them. Listen, and take action.

and right now, it is scaring the living daylights out of me.
You need to be scared right now, because if you stay on the path you're on you're going to lose your wife.

Are you going to do what it takes to keep her?

The life I actually am living and the life that I am reading about from her typed responses are at times 180 degree opposites, as well as exaggerations about how events occurred.
Again, you are disrespectfully judging her.
Are you going to change that?
Are you going to start listening to her?

I WANT this marriage to work - from my observations at home, I am CONVINCED (without a doubt) that my wife loves me and wants the best for us in our marriage as well. She showers me with affection,
She is doing her part to make recovery possible. She is obviously doing it well if you feel loved.

then an hour later types out: "just honestly makes me want to pack my bags and leave". The mix of opposite signals is destroying me.
She is being honest about her feelings for you. Her lovebank is deep in the red.
YOU control how she feels. She feels this way because of your years of abuse. It's not going to change overnight -- it will take diligent action on your part.
You can roll around in self-pity, or you can do what it takes to change her feelings.

I am pouring nearly everything I have got into making her happy, fulfilling her requests,
So, you're onboard with following MB and giving her a romantic marriage?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

I
I

Originally Posted by markos
Ernie - don't punish your wife's honesty,

I can't - and won't -punish her for her honesty.

I feel horribly betrayed by her dishonestly. Maybe you should come live with us a while so you can see both sides of the coin.

Four hours after her last post - she wakes me up by snuggling close to me in bed, wraps her whole body around me, showering me with kisses, and even gives me an erotic massage. What an amazing way to start the day! I was on cloud nine ...... until the wrecking ball landed on me.

So your complaint is that she is PLEASANT and loving before she makes her complaints?

That makes no sense.

Complaints are not a 'wrecking ball' - they are things to be lovingly received and acted upon.

Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 820 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation