Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by lonely4years
but isn't very organized about things and often times doesn't remember where she places things, forgets things, and I admit I have expressed my disapproval on numerous occasions. When this happens and she gets stressed out I come to the rescue most often, and in some instances just begin taking over one more thing. So now we are in a place where I continue to take over things and I really have to be honest with myself as to whether it was to help her, or because of me being intolerant of the way it was done. Probably some of both, but it hasn't gotten me anywhere.
Ok, this is so disrespectful, and is a huge love buster. How would YOU feel if somebody was calling you disorganized when maybe you just don't feel like doing what they are trying to force you to do? My H is much the same, he has a perfectionist issue..it's his way or the highway. And he lets me know I'm failing to measure up. It's terrible. And it makes me HATE him. Sometimes the visual that pops into my head is that of a monster.

I own my own company and am probably the most efficient person I know so we are not a good "fit" in that regard.
again, wow. Very disrespectful to say how efficient you are, and how much of a bad fit you are (aka, wife is inefficient). She is a HUMAN BEING. There is no one way to do everything. You were not blessed with knowing the "right way" to live life. You are not showing your wife respect at all.

Is it possible though, that my wife feels a significant amount of depression, even when I don't do or say anything?
I strongly suspect she is depressed because she is married to a man who is not at all respectful, and in fact is downright mean to her.

1. She needs me to listen. I mean she has a very low tolerance for not listening and/or forgetting something. If I'm not careful in reading a text about what to pick up and get the wrong thing or forget what she asked for it is a big, big deal to her. Her mother never listens to her by the way so I get it. I've tried to adjust in the past by making more notes, but on occasion I mess up and she certainly lets me know about it.
Probably you think you are listening, but in fact you hear her and then judge her. Have you ever listened to her without trying to "correct" her? I bet she wants someone to REALLY understand her pov. And from what I've seen here I doubt you actually listen with the intent of understanding her. I bet you (like my H) listen to judge. The reason she complains when you mess up, is because she isn't in love with you, and also you screwing up make her think you didn't listen in the first place.

2. She needs admiration. I worship this woman in terms of praising how she looks, how cute a top that she wears, etc. I go out of my way never to criticize her ever about anything, and frankly don't even have the urge to. Nevertheless she needs this from me, even though she has a negative comment to say each time I do compliment her. I could stand to be more genuine when I do praise her, and maybe I have not been.
My H does the same thing. But I don't believe him. He is mean, and I don't trust him. His compliments actually seem like they are a ploy to get me to spread my legs. So he seems like a liar in my eyes. you can't compliment someone and criticize them in the next breath, and have your compliment mean anything. You DO criticize your W. Every time you do that you tear down any credibility you have. I, too, don't allow my husband to touch me. I brush his arms away and say "don't touch me" because I hate him. I bet your wife feels similar. He feels like a lying sneak to me, and the stuff you say feels so similar to my situation (so similar I've wondered if you WERE my husband). He talks just like you. It's very disrespectful and has caused me to not only lose my love for him, but actually to hate him.

3. She wants me to be thoughtful. Huge improvement over the first 5 years of marriage where I was the opposite of thoughtful. The little things go along way with her. At times I've been incredibly thoughtful but she always nitpicks something and I get frustrated and tend to give up on this.
Again, I would be willing to bet she doens't think your thoughtfulness is genuine based on the time she's spent with you, and how hurtful you have been. My husband could have kept me happy with little things from the getgo, but now, I just don't even want them. Don't buy her clothes. Seriously. Do something romantic and THOUGHTFUL. Clothing is not it, jmo.

4. She needs "stuff". This is a tough one and I say this not to be a martyr, it is just how I'm wired. I have very little need for material things. I'm like my mom. I'd rather spend $100 on dinner with my wife than anything $100 could buy for the house or on clothes. My wife places a great deal of importance on things whereas I value experiences and I have not done a good job of hiding my disapproval of the practice. I don't hold money over her head but I certainly remind my wife on occasion that we are buying more than we can afford and this makes her feel bad. In fact I don't know anyway to say it without making her feel bad.
This is just a DJ. To say she values materialistic stuff. Do you even understand WHY. Do you even ask her why she wants something? I get the feeling you don't care, you just DJ her right off the bat. Maybe she is accumulating assets/clothing/TVs/furniture so that when she finally leaves you, she won't have to worry about buying so much? Because her H is such a jerk? Seriuosly, this is disrespectful.
Do I meet all of my wife's needs, likely not. All in all I'm a wonderful Father, and from the outside, the guy that gets the "you are so lucky to have him as your husband" guy. This is to everybody but my wife, yet the others don't matter, only she does and I want more than anything to have a romantic relationship with this woman, but I feel like she won't let me in. She keeps the walls up. When I hug her she drops her arms to the side or pushes me away.

I would bet you might not be meeting many of her ENs at all. Everyone thinks my H is super dad too! He coaches soccer, is involved, all of it. But at the end of the day, WHOSE admiration do you most want? It should be your wife's. She's smart, she does not admire you because you are abusive. In fact, she sounds like me. My walls are up, I push my husband away and don't want his hugs either. She's probably in and out of withdrawl and conflict with you...and you do not help her to stay out of withdrawl because you hurt her more than anyone else. Stop hurting your wife!!!

She sent me a text last night that she has forgiven me, but not forgotten, about me accusing her of cheating 2 years ago, and thinks that me finding her at the wedding meant that I still don't trust her. She doesn't get over things very easily, that I know for sure, and I don't think she is over the first 5 years of our marriage yet.

If she was in love, she WOULD get over things. She doesn't get over things because more of the same is coming. And she knows that. Have you actually given her a reason to truly forgive you? Are you actually a CHANGED man who will never hurt her in that way again? My husband's favorite word is "sorry" and unfortunately it means nothing now. He's an abuser who says sorry but then just does it again. So likely, she is having trouble forgiving someone who is just going to keep hurting her over and over and over and over.

As for ruining the MB program, well why did you accuse her of an affair? She wasn't having one, so why did you link your accusations to the MB program.

I can tell you one thing: the MB program can save your marriage and can teach you to be a good husband. If you decide to do it. I'm hoping my H will! you don't need to call it MB to be a great thoughtful spouse who NEVER treats his wife disrespectfully and considers her opinions and doesn't act independently. If you just work the program I'm sure she would come around...but you have to commit to doing it for a LONG time. years...and she would come around. She has walls up to protect herself from you. And now you've linked MB to a husband accusing his wife of having an affair in her eyes. When most likely she just feels very much abused and withdrawn from you. If you want to save your marriage, stop hurting your wife!

And I will just say that the more you write on here, the more you sound like my husband. You aren't him, but wow, I feel like he is very much like you...so I think I'm in a unique position to understand your wife.

When you are ready to see things objectively and without your own colored lenses feel free to come post again, in the mean time I think it best that we stay off each other's posts, thanks.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MindMonkey
Originally Posted by HonestyLovebust
I never looked at it this way because I don't think that way. I take great joy in my wife's successes. When she finishes a race and places high I'm her biggest fan. When she does something creative with the kids I'm the first one to tell how awesome I think it is. I take great joy in anyone who succeeds or achieves. My wife has been a runner for a long time. I remember the first time I told her I wanted to sign up for a race. I was thinking of it in terms of us having a hobby that we might be able to do together, plus it is healthy. To my surprise she reacted very negatively and sarcastically and still does to this day.
There's a lot of similarity to the way I used to treat my wife. She is also a runner and when she places high, I'd be the first to congratulate her. When she does something awesome with the kids, I'd be sure to praise her. I also took great joy in all her accomplishments. But she truly felt that everyone (including me and her) saw her accomplishments as less than mine.

Between you and me, when she placed first in a race, I bragged to all my buddies about it. But it wasn't about her getting a pat on the back, it was for me. I wanted people to pat me on the back (for nabbing a hot wife and providing so unselfishly for my family), and they did! Shamefully, I can admit now that at the time I felt like some sort of great benefactor to my W. How great of a man am I, providing all this for my family. Heck, the work I do ENABLES her to train so much. Any other husband would put her to work once the kids were in school. Without me, she wouldn't have this great life. How dare she not grovel at my feet thanking me and showering me with admiration?

I'll tell you why not. I was a disrespectful jerk...for years. Not only did she not admire me, she eventually HATED me. My wife withdrew into the ultimate IB, starting a secret second life. Didn't work out very well for me when OM started giving her the admiration I wasn't [really] giving her.

I think there are some valid points, but at the end of the day, what drives me to compliment my wife and remove as many things from her busy day is because I care for her and love her deeply. I do not want to control her and I'm not looking to somehow find a pat on the back for bragging about my wife and her race accomplishment. What I was trying to share with you all is some background on our situation and what possible reasons there are for her state of mind based on an article that Dr H wrote that resonated with me in the first place. I don't want groveling I want her not to be sarcastic, rude, and disrespectful in every moment of every day.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by markos
Taking a break from here, sorry, need to educate myself after speaking with Steve. thanks for everything.

My wife's response to speaking with Steve:

"I am completely opposed to MB and have no desire to follow anything it stands for. There are many reasons why I feel this way."

Then she dropped a bomb on me that she "plans on being gone the entire weekend including Monday." Not asking, telling me. Aside from one night with my sister wouldn't even tell me where. Hard to take someone serious and build trust in a relationship with stuff like this. As I told you before, she is the most unreasonable person in the world, and she is treating this as a game that she needs to beat me at all costs, and if that means we end our marriage, well then at least she won. Unreal. What a great start to my suggestion from Steve directly.

What did Steve suggest you do?

He suggested I respectfully see if my wife would speak with Steve to which she immediately rejected. Next step is to find the next best for of education to meet our goal of a happy romantic marriage. As of this moment it is getting some referrals to marriage therapists in our area.

B
B
Was anything recommended about you returning home vs staying out of the house?

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
D
D
Just chiming in... the couples who use MarriageBuilders typically have one reluctant spouse and one enthusiastic spouse. It's just the nature of the beast.

The couples where both are enthusiastic figure out how to resolve their differences and move on with their marriage.
The couples where neither are enthusiastic divorce and move on with their lives.

The couples that end up implementing MarriageBuilders are almost by definition those in which one spouse is much less enthusiastic than the other. In my case, I was the enthusiastic one, and my wife not so much. I simply began living it and encouraging her to follow, working my schedule to have the time to spend with her.

It works.

Now, unfortunately, the way our relationship STILL works today is that I'm the one that needs to block the time out so we spend enough together, and if I don't do it it doesn't get done. That generates some passive resentment on my part toward her, easily overcome by how much time we spend giving each other undivided attention. So don't assume because you work the program that eventually you can get lazy about it; the unenthusiastic partner might become enthusiastic about YOU working the program with them, but not trying to work it on their own! It's just the way life is sometimes :-)

Give it a try.

QUICK EDIT: OK, I read a bit more of the backstory. A foundational tenet of MarriageBuilders is "You are responsible for how other people feel about you, and they are responsible for how you feel about them". It's the core concept behind the Love Bank model, and the key to a happy, life-long, monogamous marriage.

But most are quick to disregard that truth. It doesn't jive with popular thinking, which is typically, "I am responsible for my own happiness".

I'd suggest an experiment this week: replace labels with descriptions of how you feel, instead of how she acts, and what she could do to cause you to feel differently. For instance, when you used to think "disorganized" about your wife, instead think, "I'd love it if she did this instead of that". When she does something awesome, tell her, "I love it when you do that," and even if you remember her having once done something she's not done in a while.

Learning to state your complaints in terms of "I love it when you do X", and "I'd love it if you wouldn't do X" keeps you focused on your goal: having her build a Love Bank balance with you, and vice-versa. But a key adjunct to this approach is never, ever say "I'd love it if you would/wouldn't be X". Wanting someone to behave differently is simply changing habits. Wanting someone to "be" something else is a level of wrong we typically want to avoid in marriage.

Last edited by Doormat_No_More; 11/06/13 07:29 PM.

Doormat_No_More
(Formerly Barnboy)
Original thread lost in the forum purge of '09.
4 months after D-Day
1 year after D-Day
Two Years Later
Four Years Later
I
I
Taking a break from here, sorry, need to educate myself after speaking with Steve. thanks for everything.

My wife's response to speaking with Steve:

"I am completely opposed to MB and have no desire to follow anything it stands for. There are many reasons why I feel this way."

Then she dropped a bomb on me that she "plans on being gone the entire weekend including Monday." Not asking, telling me. Aside from one night with my sister wouldn't even tell me where. Hard to take someone serious and build trust in a relationship with stuff like this. As I told you before, she is the most unreasonable person in the world, and she is treating this as a game that she needs to beat me at all costs, and if that means we end our marriage, well then at least she won. Unreal. What a great start to my suggestion from Steve directly.

That was fairly predictable, HLB. It's not surprising she doesn't want anything to do with this programme when she is constantly being told she is wrong and you are right and you know the way.

She either gets DJ'd or left if she isn't singing from the MB hymn sheet.

I know that if I was getting educated about MB in this fashion, I would run for the hills too.

Last edited by indiegirl; 11/07/13 03:17 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

I
I
Next step is to find the next best for of education to meet our goal of a happy romantic marriage. As of this moment it is getting some referrals to marriage therapists in our area.

I have to say, I think this is a great idea. Much as I love MB, it isn't there to be shoved down people's throats who don't want it. The greatest food in the world becomes mush when it is force fed.

Your wife is a grown up who deserves the respect of being allowed to freely choose her own beliefs and coping systems. That is not unreasonable at all.

You can still be true to yours.

Yes I have a need for admiration from my wife, and I get none, in fact always the opposite, but I won't suppose as to the reasons why, that is a DJ.

Yes exactly!! Now you're getting it. It is not just disrespectful but completely counter productive and useless to ponder on what you think the reasons why are.

It really does not matter at all what you think her motivations are. You will have success if you use that as your starting point for eliminating DJ's.

Last edited by indiegirl; 11/07/13 03:15 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

N
N
Next step is to find the next best for of education to meet our goal of a happy romantic marriage. As of this moment it is getting some referrals to marriage therapists in our area.

When I gave it my last effort at saving the marriage ex also spoke to Steve, and then we went to an MC in our area on our insurance. I asked her a lot of questions before we started like Dr. H advised in the article here. But it turned out the MC just said what I wanted to hear to get us in the door, and then gave us a lot of advice that just made things worse, about accepting one another's issues when they were actually things that we needed help finding lasting solutions for. I emailed her and told her how disappointed I was but she didn't have the skills or the mindset to help us find the answers we needed. Some folks are great for IC but not MC.

I hope your results are better. You can look up reviews online. How about the online course?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
N
N
Or when you are asking the MC questions first, how about talking about the specific issues, and ask what the approach would be? I believe years of bad MC about learning to accept the unacceptable is part of what left me so hopeless I gave up. You need someone who is great at helping you two learn to find answers that work for both of you and great at challenging folks.

The things MrA has shared with us here from his counseling with Jennifer that I never heard in an MC office were

I'd love it if you...
I love it when you...

Everything I heard in our MC was about learning to settle. But settling isn't going to make you two happy. Effective help will help you two become irresistibly attractive to one another. If that doesn't happen, please change course before it's too late!

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by black_raven
Was anything recommended about you returning home vs staying out of the house?
No. However I'm coming back Friday night and she is leaving to stay with my sister one night and a friend the other so that the kids and I can hang out.

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay

When I gave it my last effort at saving the marriage ex also spoke to Steve, and then we went to an MC in our area on our insurance. I asked her a lot of questions before we started like Dr. H advised in the article here. But it turned out the MC just said what I wanted to hear to get us in the door, and then gave us a lot of advice that just made things worse, about accepting one another's issues when they were actually things that we needed help finding lasting solutions for. I emailed her and told her how disappointed I was but she didn't have the skills or the mindset to help us find the answers we needed. Some folks are great for IC but not MC.

I hope your results are better. You can look up reviews online. How about the online course?

We are gonna negotiate that, but we will be largely seeking a therapist that believes in marriage, and that marriage needs to be mutually beneficial. The kind that gets us to see that this is "our problem" not "her problem" or "his problem." I do not believe, can't speak for my wife, that the modern believe of "do whatever feels good" is ever going to work and I'm well aware of this prevailing perspective in the therapy community abroad. This is why we are going to select the therapist together, not rush into it a moment of weakness and anger.

M
M
[
We are gonna negotiate that, but we will be largely seeking a therapist that believes in marriage, and that marriage needs to be mutually beneficial.

I think many counselors believe in marriage but just don't have the skills or a PLAN to recover a marriage. If you don't have an effective, ironclad plan, then all the skill in the world will not help your marriage. What you need is a counselor who believes in the steps in THIS plan and has the skills to motivate you and your wife to follow these steps. If a counselor has any plan OTHER than the steps outlined here, I would be very cautious because it is doubtful that it will work.

One of the prevailing themes with marriage counselors is the practice of accepting your spouse as she/he is just as NED experienced. That is a road to marital disaster. Dr Harley cautions against that philosophy in one of his newsletters:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
I give you this advice because I want you and your spouse to be in love with each other, and I'm sure that you want that, too. But most marital therapists disagree with me on this issue. Because their advice is so pervasive, and so destructive to the love of couples that follow it, I use whatever opportunity I have to defend this crucial position.

The difference between my approach to saving marriages, and the approach of most other therapists, is that I focus on building romantic love (being "in love") between spouses, rather than simply focusing on conflict resolution. As it turns out, I also address conflict resolution, but I do it in a way that builds love between spouses.

Since most marital therapists fail to address the romantic love issue when they try to help couples, their approach to conflict resolution usually fails to build love, and as a result, the couples divorce, even after "resolving" some of their conflicts.

An example of this current effort to "resolve" marital conflicts is found in a book by Jacobson and Christensen, Integrative Couples Therapy (Norton, 1996). In this training manual for marital therapists, couples are to be encouraged by their therapists to lower their marital expectations by becoming more understanding of each other's dysfunctional background. Irreparable wounds inflicted during childhood should inspire empathy toward a thoughtless spouse, not disappointment. Awareness of each other's limitations should lead to acceptance of each other's behavior and a willingness to meet one's own needs, instead of expecting each other to meet those needs. The suggested goal of therapy is to teach each spouse to make themselves happy, and not look to each other for their happiness. While this approach to therapy may resolve a couple's conflict, it most certainly will not lead to love. When couples follow this advice, few love units are deposited and many are withdrawn. In the end, the couple is likely to divorce.

The same sort of advice is given in Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix (Holt Rinehart, & Winston, 1988). While the book title seems to address the issue of romantic love in marriage, the author's strategy for couples is to learn to accept each other's marital failures, rather than doing anything to overcome them. I guarantee you, if you follow this strategy, you will NOT get the love you want.
here

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[
We are gonna negotiate that, but we will be largely seeking a therapist that believes in marriage, and that marriage needs to be mutually beneficial.

I think many counselors believe in marriage but just don't have the skills or a PLAN to recover a marriage. If you don't have an effective, ironclad plan, then all the skill in the world will not help your marriage. What you need is a counselor who believes in the steps in THIS plan and has the skills to motivate you and your wife to follow these steps. If a counselor has any plan OTHER than the steps outlined here, I would be very cautious because it is doubtful that it will work.

One of the prevailing themes with marriage counselors is the practice of accepting your spouse as she/he is just as NED experienced. That is a road to marital disaster. Dr Harley cautions against that philosophy in one of his newsletters:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
I give you this advice because I want you and your spouse to be in love with each other, and I'm sure that you want that, too. But most marital therapists disagree with me on this issue. Because their advice is so pervasive, and so destructive to the love of couples that follow it, I use whatever opportunity I have to defend this crucial position.

The difference between my approach to saving marriages, and the approach of most other therapists, is that I focus on building romantic love (being "in love") between spouses, rather than simply focusing on conflict resolution. As it turns out, I also address conflict resolution, but I do it in a way that builds love between spouses.

Since most marital therapists fail to address the romantic love issue when they try to help couples, their approach to conflict resolution usually fails to build love, and as a result, the couples divorce, even after "resolving" some of their conflicts.

An example of this current effort to "resolve" marital conflicts is found in a book by Jacobson and Christensen, Integrative Couples Therapy (Norton, 1996). In this training manual for marital therapists, couples are to be encouraged by their therapists to lower their marital expectations by becoming more understanding of each other's dysfunctional background. Irreparable wounds inflicted during childhood should inspire empathy toward a thoughtless spouse, not disappointment. Awareness of each other's limitations should lead to acceptance of each other's behavior and a willingness to meet one's own needs, instead of expecting each other to meet those needs. The suggested goal of therapy is to teach each spouse to make themselves happy, and not look to each other for their happiness. While this approach to therapy may resolve a couple's conflict, it most certainly will not lead to love. When couples follow this advice, few love units are deposited and many are withdrawn. In the end, the couple is likely to divorce.

The same sort of advice is given in Getting the Love You Want by Hendrix (Holt Rinehart, & Winston, 1988). While the book title seems to address the issue of romantic love in marriage, the author's strategy for couples is to learn to accept each other's marital failures, rather than doing anything to overcome them. I guarantee you, if you follow this strategy, you will NOT get the love you want.
here

To quote Steve verbatim yesterday on the phone, "We are not the only game in town." He went further to say that it is ok to interview and understand the tenets of each program and furthermore that we can even request our own program. As it stands my wife is opposed to MB, but that doesn't mean that she won't in the future.

B
B
Please listen to the clips in here.
Beware of Bad Counselors

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
[
To quote Steve verbatim yesterday on the phone, "We are not the only game in town." He went further to say that it is ok to interview and understand the tenets of each program and furthermore that we can even request our own program. As it stands my wife is opposed to MB, but that doesn't mean that she won't in the future.

She is opposed to Marriage Builders, or she is opposed to the STEPS of Marriage Builders? Is she opposed to spending time with you? Is she opposed to eliminating disrespect? Is she opposed to creating an integrated marriage that is romantic and passionate? Is she opposed to eliminating independent behavior? Is she opposed to falling in love with you?

If she won't follow those steps, I ASSURE you that you are wasting your time, regardless of what you want to call it. You can call it the Marriage Builders program or you can call it the hootenanny express, those are the steps to a happy, romantic marriage.

If there is a way to create such a marriage without spending 20 hours of UA time together I would like to know about it. Because Dr Harley has proven that you won't have a romantic marriage without that step.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

She is opposed to Marriage Builders, or she is opposed to the STEPS of Marriage Builders? Is she opposed to spending time with you? Is she opposed to eliminating disrespect? Is she opposed to creating an integrated marriage that is romantic and passionate? Is she opposed to eliminating independent behavior? Is she opposed to falling in love with you?

If she won't follow those steps, I ASSURE you that you are wasting your time, regardless of what you want to call it. You can call it the Marriage Builders program or you can call it the hootenanny express, those are the steps to a happy, romantic marriage.

If there is a way to create such a marriage without spending 20 hours of UA time together I would like to know about it. Because Dr Harley has proven that you won't have a romantic marriage without that step.

At this moment she associates MB with a bad time in her life and it is not an option right now. I can't ever love bust again and get buy in for anything, this I know. She just told me in a text that she has never forgiven nor forgotten anything I've ever done. When she looks at me, all she sees are the bad things from my past. She thinks I don't trust her, she thinks I want to control her, and that is all there is to it. MB might be the best, but not the only, and I think suggesting that it is MB or divorce, isn't really being objective Melody. I'll continue to bring it up respectfully, now and again, but until she I stop lovebusting and she starts believing forgiveness, I doubt she'll consider it at all.

P
P
You can follow MB concepts without ever mentioning MB to her. You don't have to use the terms "Lovebuster" or "Undivided Attention time" or "Emotional Needs" in order to start treating her with respect and taking her out on dates to make her feel cherished.

These concepts are what work, and they work just fine without the label "MB" attached to them.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Prisca
You can follow MB concepts without ever mentioning MB to her. You don't have to use the terms "Lovebuster" or "Undivided Attention time" or "Emotional Needs" in order to start treating her with respect and taking her out on dates to make her feel cherished.

These concepts are what work, and they work just fine without the label "MB" attached to them.

Already started

M
M
[ MB might be the best, but not the only, and I think suggesting that it is MB or divorce, isn't really being objective Melody. I'll continue to bring it up respectfully, now and again, but until she I stop lovebusting and she starts believing forgiveness, I doubt she'll consider it at all.

Never did I suggest divorce or MB. What I am suggesting is that you use these concepts without the label. There is not another way unless you know something I don't. What is the other way to create a romantic marriage? Sure, these steps are not exclusive to Marriage Builders, but who else uses them?

Does the therapist have such a plan?

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you have the book Effective Marriage Counseling? If I were you, I would download that book on kindle for PCs and start reading it. In it, Dr Harley outlines the necessary steps to create a romantic marriage.

You can read this book and share it with the therapist. He can coach you through Marriage Builders without ever using that TITLE. See what I mean? You don't have to use the terminology, but you do have to use the steps.

That little book is probably my favorite MB book. It is interesting, easy to read and takes you step by step through the program.

Exposure 101

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation