Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2769408 12/05/13 11:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
My Spouse had an affair for 6mos. during our first year of marriage. A couple months after I found out about this affair, I found out that he had been seeing another woman for 5 years while he was with me.

Needless to say, I was gutted. We have been going to marriage counseling, he goes to separate counseling session with someone else and I see a psychiatrist for medication. We have really been working hard on this. We love each other more than we ever thought would be possible in our lifetime.

My issue is that he has been sick. He has a compromised immune system and has been taking meds for close to 30 years for a condition he has but he has been getting neck pain and migraines to the point where he throws up. We have had 2 ER visits, 2 spinals, multiple blood tests, western blot, CAT scans. Nothing is coming up. Everything is negative. He is frustrated and I am frustrated.

It affects our intimacy, his moods, our basic interaction and as a result my depression and my imagination.

He tells me that he can see it in my face when I have a trigger and it makes him feel terrible. I told him that I know I should let him know when I have a trigger but if he is not feeling well or the kids are around how is that going to work? What if I do it too much? I feel, and I have been told, that he is going to get sick of hearing about it. He told me last night that he thinks that this is going to take down our marriage. He has triggers too. He doesn't feel anything for the other women but he feels deep regret for how he has screwed up his life by his bad choices.
All of this was revealed this past Spring. It has not been a year. I told him that last holiday season was particularly hard for me because I did everything by myself and I was extremely lonely and I have been experiencing triggers these past couple of weeks a little more than usual. He tells me that I seem to be getting angrier when I express myself now.
My belief is that as we replace these bad memories with our good memories this crap will fade and it will be like a bad dream but it needs time. I don't feel like he has faith in the healing properties of time and it scares me.

How do other people deal with the triggers and the guilt etc.?

seashellz #2769414 12/05/13 12:32 PM
M
M
Hi seashellz, welcome to Marriage Builders.

Can you tell me WHAT is triggering you? It is a good idea to eliminate as many triggers as you can, such as going to certain places, talking about the affair, etc. Can you pinpoint the triggers?

Are these OW completely out of your lives? Has your marriage been affair proofed?

There are very specific steps towards recovery after an affair and if you don't take these steps, the result is usually disasterous. But if you follow them, you can have a happy, romantic marriage. That plan of recovery can be found in Dr Harley's book, Survivng an Affair. Here is the plan:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
The plan I recommend for recovery after an affair is very specific. That's because I've found that even small deviations from that plan are usually disastrous. But when it's followed, it always works. The plan has two parts that must be implemented sequentially. The first part of the plan is for the unfaithful spouse to completely separate from the lover and eliminate the conditions that made the affair possible. The second part is for the couple to create a romantic relationship, using my Basic Concepts as a guide.

I'll describe these two parts to you in a little more detail.

The first step, complete separation from the lover and eliminating the conditions that made the affair possible, requires a complete understanding of the affair. All information regarding the affair must be revealed to the betrayed spouse, including the name of the lover, the conditions that made the affair possible (travel, internet, etc.), the details of what took place during the affair, all correspondence, and anything else that would shed light on the tragedy.

This information is important for two reasons: (1) it creates accountability and transparency, making it essentially impossible for the unfaithful spouse to continue the affair or begin a new one unnoticed, and (2) it creates trust for the betrayed spouse, providing evidence that the affair is over and a new one is unlikely to take its place. The nightmares you experience are likely to continue until you have the facts that
will lead to your assurance that your husband can be trusted.

An analysis of the wayward spouse's childhood or emotional state of mind in an effort to discover why he or she would have an affair is distracting and unnecessary. It takes precious time away from finding the real solutions. I know why people have affairs: We are all wired for it. Given certain conditions, we would all do it. Given other conditions, however, none of us would do it. So the goal of the first step is to discover the conditions that made the affair possible and eliminate them.

After the first step is completed, the second step is to create a romantic relationship between you and your husband using my 10 Basic Concepts here
as your guide. While your relationship may be improving, it won't lead to a romantic relationship because you are not being transparent toward each other. Unspoken issues in a marital relationship lead to a superficiality that ruins romance.

Your nightmares are only the tip of the iceberg. They are but a small reflection of the suffering you experienced when you discovered your husband's affair, and the fear you have that the suffering will be repeated. You have no assurance that the affair is over because you don't even know who the other woman is. You are being asked to trust your husband, who has already proven to be untrustworthy. For all you know, he could be working with her, or you could be going to the same church, or she could be
your neighbor. And since he won't discuss the details of how the affair took place, you have no assurance that another affair will not take its place.

Infidelity is not something that can be swept under the rug. While those who have affairs want to forget about it and move on, those who are betrayed must take very specific steps before they can fully recover. In your case, those steps have not been taken, and as a result, your fear persists. I will send you a complimentary copy of my book, "Surviving an Affair," if you send me your address. It will describe these two steps to you and provide you with a roadmap toward full recovery. But the path will require full disclosure of all details.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

seashellz #2769415 12/05/13 12:35 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by seashellz
Needless to say, I was gutted. We have been going to marriage counseling, he goes to separate counseling session with someone else and I see a psychiatrist for medication. We have really been working hard on this. We love each other more than we ever thought would be possible in our lifetime.

Do ANY of these counselors have a program of recovery from the affair? Most counselors do not, which is why I ask. What is their plan to save your marriage?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2769416 12/05/13 12:40 PM
B
B
Do you have the book Surviving an Affair?

Have all conditions that allowed his affairs been eliminated? Has he changed all his contact information?

Is there NC with these women?

Have you been tested for STD/I?

Also read this.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

BrainHurts #2769417 12/05/13 01:03 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, I have read Surviving an Affair. I guess I should revisit it. I've read so many books on this subject.

I have been tested for STDs.

I believe there is no contact. Both women did not know he was married or living with me.

The problem is his job. He basically works out of the house and has to visit stores in a district where his furthest store is 1.5 hours away. He has a company car, company computer, company cell phone. The phone and computer have a required password that changes every couple of weeks. So I only have so much control just checking in. He wants me to ask when I look at his stuff and then it seems he gets offended that I still want to look. He can't quit his job, not in this economy.

I know he wants to forget everything and move on but he beats himself up over it everyday and if he can't forget how am I? I don't want to run away from this. I know he is my partner in life and I am scared that he does not have enough confidence, patience and forgiveness (for himself)and am afraid he will just give up and leave out of frustration.

seashellz #2769418 12/05/13 01:08 PM
S
S
He wants me to ask when I look at his stuff and then it seems he gets offended that I still want to look.

I am sorry to tell you that this is a big redflag

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
SusieQ #2769419 12/05/13 01:10 PM
S
S
So one of the most common clues of an affair is an unwillingness to let a spouse investigate all aspects of life. If two lives are necessary for an affair, and if a spouse is curious enough, the secret second life is relatively easy to discover. Difficulty in getting a spouse to talk about events of the day can be a sign of trying to hide the second life.

One of the most common smoke-screens used by unfaithful spouses is to express shock that their spouse would be so distrusting as to ask questions about their secret second life. They try to make it seem as if such questions are an affront to their dignity, and a sign of incredible disrespect. They figure that the best defense is a good offense, and so they try to make their spouses feel guilty about asking too many questions.

Here: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5060_qa.html

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
seashellz #2769420 12/05/13 01:14 PM
S
S
My Spouse had an affair for 6mos. during our first year of marriage. A couple months after I found out about this affair, I found out that he had been seeing another woman for 5 years while he was with me.

Your H has a long standing history of having a SSL - secret second life. This becomes a habit that is very hard to break. And it seems that his lifestyle and his job make the conditions ripe for him to continue it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was more that was going on in his secret second life.

Think about it, he feels terrible that you are triggered and struggling with his infidelity and rather than be transparent and show you that he has nothing to hide he acts offended that you don't trust him?

Please proceed with caution and keep your eyes wide open. And I believe your H needs a different job...

Last edited by SusieQ; 12/05/13 01:14 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
seashellz #2769422 12/05/13 01:33 PM
M
M
He wants me to ask when I look at his stuff and then it seems he gets offended that I still want to look. He can't quit his job, not in this economy.

This means he has something to hide. I think you must know this. Obviously if you ask before you look, then that gives him a chance to control what you see. I would ask him for the passwords to everything when he gets home tonight. Get the passwords and start going through his phone and his computer. He must tell you whenever he changes his passwords. And when you get the chance, quietly slip some spyware on his phone and a keylogger on his computer.

If he won't give you access to all of these things, then you need to plan to separate. And yes he can give you access to everything if he wants. Even if violates a company rule. If that is impossible then he needs to find a new job.

I know he wants to forget everything and move on but he beats himself up over it everyday and if he can't forget how am I? I don't want to run away from this. I know he is my partner in life and I am scared that he does not have enough confidence, patience and forgiveness (for himself)and am afraid he will just give up and leave out of frustration.

The reason you are so triggered is because his lifestyle that led to his affairs has not changed. This will get worse, not better. Until he creates a lifestyle that makes his secret second life impossible, he will continue to have affairs and you will continue to be triggered.

I wouldn't worry about him "forgiving himself," that is not necessary. What is necessary is that he makes AMENDS to you and protects you from further harm. He can do that by opening up his life to you.

I would also consider hiring a PI to tail him for a few days. It is obvious he is still hiding something and you need to find out what.

Exposure 101

MelodyLane #2769423 12/05/13 01:40 PM
V
V
I have no advice, but has he been checked for Trigeminal Neuralgia? It took a very thorough med student to get my diagnosis.

The pain is unbearable at times and painkillers don't touch it.

Now back to your regular programming. >S<

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
Viscountess #2769424 12/05/13 01:47 PM
M
M
seashellz, guilt doesn't stop people from doing what they need to do to fix their marriage. I would tend to see this as an excuse, and I think he would, as well.

Dr. Harley would recommend that you be able to check up on your husband and keep your checking completely secret. This arrangement where he wants you to tell him when you are checking up on him is not going to work. The real problem is not his feelings of guilt - the problem is that the way he is acting is going to keep you from feeling safe and secure, which means the extreme damage he did to you by his infidelity can never be healed.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2769444 12/05/13 03:39 PM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,169 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation