Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
writer1 #2771939 12/20/13 07:43 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Having a night job is not considered a traveling job. But he does not advocate working night jobs because they are often an opposing shift to the spouse AND people on night jobs tend to grapple with depression.

The general principle is to find a career that complements your marriage. If it doesn't complement your marriage, then don't take it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

V
V
When I first joined here my DH was on the road 5 days a week. On the radio show Dr Harley said we may maintain, but we wouldn't be able to improve our marriage much (it's been years, that's how I remember it!).

It took almost 2 years for DH to find a job where he was home every night and the difference is amazing! Totally amazing. We did manage to improve our relationship some while he was on the road, I would take time off and spend time on the road with him, he took weeks off and didn't travel.

In hindsight, there were things like my car breaking while he was on the road and out of touch that I had to deal with, or me being sick and needing help at home on our farm that were huge withdrawls from my love bank because he wasn't there for me to depend on. Having a truly integrated life is impossible on the road, no matter how hard we tried, we both had lots of IB.

Me: 30
Him: 39
Together 5 years
Married the very best man in the world 04/06/2013 after being common law for too long. I'm a lucky woman.
7 Cats - Viscount Ashley of Leftfield, Pawkie Petunia, The Timinator, Leo the Lionheart, Fruit Snack, Cloud, and Barret
And our very lucky pony, Starbucks
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Sam says his wife had an affair and he wants to make sure he is taking the right steps for recovery. His wife of 33 years was a love at first sight, they have children and grandchildren. His wife took a better job 4 years ago that involved traveling, while traveling she met another man and moved in with him. She had filed for divorce last year, but broke off the affair because of the other man's young son. She continues to live in the home the other man had purchased for her.

Radio Clip
Segment #2
Segment #3
Segment #4

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
L
The idea of no overnight travel sounds great, but it unrealistic in today's world and the job market. And what about military? A military person should give up their career, pension and benefits? That harms not just the military person, but the entire family.

"The true beauty of a woman is reflected in her soul." Audrey Hepburn
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by LongHaul30
The idea of no overnight travel sounds great, but it unrealistic in today's world and the job market. And what about military? A military person should give up their career, pension and benefits? That harms not just the military person, but the entire family.

Divorce and adultery are epidemic in the military. Divorce is very harmful to families. We have had hundreds of military people on this forum over the years who were devastated by an affair. Their children were devastated.

It is unrealistic to expect to maintain a marriage if you don't live together. It won't sustain a marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Why don't you start a new thread and let us know how well your concepts for marriage are working in your own marriage.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M

LH, if you want to play chicken with your marriage, that is your business, but most people here have learned or are about to learn that Dr. Harley's advice is usually what it is for a very good reason. Nights apart lead to emotional separation at best and are an invitation for affairs to happen.

We are here to help people learn and implement Dr. Harley's advice, so please do not advise others to take such devastating risks or tell them that the advice is unrealistic. Many people have started where you are and have gone on to build a great marriage by figuring out how to do what Dr. Harley recommends. It is not "unrealistic." It's just that it is new and awkward for many people. But after all,

60% of marriages will go through an affair
40% of marriages end in divorce
20% of marriages end in permanent lifelong separation
20% of marriages stay together but are miserable

Only 20% of marriages stay together and are happy. Obviously what most people do does not lead to a happy marriage. What we want to do here is to encourage people to change their life and do what this happy 20% minority does.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2870529 11/20/15 11:12 AM
L
L
Originally Posted by markos

LH, if you want to play chicken with your marriage, that is your business, but most people here have learned or are about to learn that Dr. Harley's advice is usually what it is for a very good reason. Nights apart lead to emotional separation at best and are an invitation for affairs to happen.

We are here to help people learn and implement Dr. Harley's advice, so please do not advise others to take such devastating risks or tell them that the advice is unrealistic. Many people have started where you are and have gone on to build a great marriage by figuring out how to do what Dr. Harley recommends. It is not "unrealistic." It's just that it is new and awkward for many people. But after all,

Only 20% of marriages stay together and are happy. Obviously what most people do does not lead to a happy marriage. What we want to do here is to encourage people to change their life and do what this happy 20% minority does.

I didn't advise anyone to do anything. I asked a question.

So your "advise" is if my spouse has 18 years in the military and cheats he should GET OUT IMMEDIATELY, throw away his retirement pay and benefits and we start over ENTIRELY?! Wow, talk about some added stress to an already stressful situation.

So according to you and Dr. Harley, no military person should ever be married. No firefighter, EMT, nurse, doctor or ANY OTHER profession where the person works nights, shifts or might have to be away overnight should NEVER be married.

A
A
Deployments nearly cost us our marriage. In our case, H self-reported his affair, took an Art-15 punishment, along with a fine and disenrollment from Army War College. He took an early retirement. He had been on track for promotion to BG. One time, I figured that his affair cost us about half a million dollars. But, I have no regrets about how we recovered our marriage.

I used to think the old saying "If the Army wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued you one" was totally silly. I don't think so anymore. The change in our culture and in the volunteer military added families to the military. But it still doesn't make a favorable environment for marriages.

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
OP Offline
M

So your "advise" is if my spouse has 18 years in the military and cheats he should GET OUT IMMEDIATELY, throw away his retirement pay and benefits and we start over ENTIRELY?! Wow, talk about some added stress to an already stressful situation.

So according to you and Dr. Harley, no military person should ever be married. No firefighter, EMT, nurse, doctor or ANY OTHER profession where the person works nights, shifts or might have to be away overnight should NEVER be married.

Do you advise that a person throw away their marriage over a little job? Is that what you are saying? Becuase if you are divorced because the traveling job destroyed your marriage, how much benefit will you get from that job anyway? In most instances you would be competing with another woman for your H's income and wouldn't get crap anyway.

Like Dr Harley says, anything that comes BEFORE the marriage will eventually come between you. That is certainly the case here.

Exposure 101

markos #2870578 11/20/15 04:27 PM
L
L
**EDIT**

Last edited by Denali; 11/20/15 04:37 PM. Reason: TOS personal attack

M
M
Mainly helping people with their marriages, any of whom might attack me at any time.

M
M
Originally Posted by markos

What I think is that people should not suffer if it can be helped.

As for advising others, yes, when you get onto a thread that is not yours and argue, you are advising everybody who is reading, which is a lot more than the people who are writing.

markos #2870582 11/20/15 04:42 PM
L
L
whatever markos.

This is obviously NOT the place for me.

M
M
whatever markos.

This is obviously NOT the place for me.

I suspect you could benefit from some things Dr. Harley recommends:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_neg.html

If you don't want to be here, it's easy to just stop posting. Do you feel that you have trouble making yourself do what you want to do? If so, the information in that link might be helpful for you.

markos #2883164 06/08/16 09:02 PM
B
B
Jenna writes asking if the Harleys have tips on how to deal with traveling spouses
Radio Clip on Traveling Jobs

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

A
A
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Like Dr Harley says, anything that comes BEFORE the marriage will eventually come between you. That is certainly the case here.

This is an interesting thread. I've worked in the IT industry for 27 years, for some of the largest computer and software companies in the world. Given our online-connected world, IT teams are nearly always geographically dispersed. Every team I've been with the last dozen years had at least one yearly face-to-face offsite team meeting that required 3-5 days away from home. Some years had multiple offsite meetings or else training to attend in other cities.

On those business trips I never considered being unfaithful to my wife. I'm never one to drink to excess (I'll go months without a drink of any kind), but on probably two occasions I had one too many beers or glasses of wine while on one of these business trips. Not enough to be drunk, but enough to notice I'd had too much, and choosing to stop immediately and go back to my hotel room. Knowing what I now know, I can see that there was a risk for A on ANY of those business trips, regardless of my intentions or morals.

If I were to ever recover my M, or in a future M, I would try to find a way to avoid business trips completely. There are ways to attend these business offsite meetings virtually, though managers prefer that we attend in person. If it becomes a problem with that manager, then unfortunately it would mean looking for a new job.

In the end, why take a chance with temptation?

BH (me) 50, WxW 47
Married 1994
D-day, plan A, & exposure Jan 2017
Divorced Nov 2017
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,188 guests, and 64 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation