Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
I had an idea. My wife and I have a good marriage. I am looking to do more. I heard about never saying no to the DW. Know what her needs are, thanks to HNHN, don't do the love busters. Do them: When you think she needs them or when she says she does. No excuses. If it's something you can't do right away (have to leave for work), then make a point of scheduling a rain check. All of this without expecting reciprocation.

The problems I can really see is 1) if I'm not feeling 100% she'll be disappointed, 2) she'll think I'm up to something, 3) and realistically, I may get burned out. Even though no reciprocation is expected, I'll still be needing my needs met. It'll also be hard nto to expect her to rise to the occastion.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,123
Likes: 1
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,123
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
I had an idea. My wife and I have a good marriage. I am looking to do more. I heard about never saying no to the DW. Know what her needs are, thanks to HNHN, don't do the love busters. Do them: When you think she needs them or when she says she does. No excuses. If it's something you can't do right away (have to leave for work), then make a point of scheduling a rain check. All of this without expecting reciprocation.

The problems I can really see is 1) if I'm not feeling 100% she'll be disappointed, 2) she'll think I'm up to something, 3) and realistically, I may get burned out. Even though no reciprocation is expected, I'll still be needing my needs met. It'll also be hard nto to expect her to rise to the occastion.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?




Well, HoM, what you have described is 1) what Dr. Harley is talking about in this article;

How to Make Your Wife Happy

and, 2) Why the Policy of Joint Agreement, or PoJA is so important.

Read up on both of those. You find out that "never saying no to the DW" is definitely not part of the answer, while avoiding Love Busters IS part of the solution.


For instance; if you follow the PoJA, your points; 1, 2, and 3 - will be nullified!



"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
That all makes sense. What I'm understanding, in a real brief summary, is she needs to be aware of how I will be responding to her.

By saying our marriage is a "good marriage," I'm saying: We already have eliminated the majority of love busters (especially on my part), and are making progress towards the others. We're also very aware of meeting each others' needs.

When I started trying this a few months back, I noticed other things start to improve between us. And, no, I hadn't told her what I was doing.

We've got 2 major hurdles to work past. (Although one of them I've respectfully withdrawn from, but I figure there will be a time in the future when we'll revisit it. We just needed to time to work on other things before coming back to it.) I think once we get to a point of understanding with these two this effort of mine will improve things for us both.

Last edited by HoodlumOfMercy; 01/09/14 01:59 PM. Reason: added mat'l
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
HoM, HHH has pointed you to the right article to explain Dr. Harley's take on always doing what your wife wants. Capitulation is not sustainable long term.

If you'll read through the Basic Concepts section on this website, check out the section on the Giver and the Taker. What you'll find is that these are two instincts that all people possess that compete. Neither one of them is bad, but both of these instincts need to be controlled with your rationality. Either one of them can destroy your marriage (including your Giver).


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
That all makes sense. What I'm understanding, in a real brief summary, is she needs to be aware of how I will be responding to her.

By saying our marriage is a "good marriage," I'm saying: We already have eliminated the majority of love busters (especially on my part), and are making progress towards the others. We're also very aware of meeting each others' needs.

Have you read about the Policy of Undivided Attention? If the Love Busters have been eliminated, rigorously following the POUA is probably the single best thing you can do to take your marriage to the next level.


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Understand also, I'm not talking about "capitulating" - just rolling over to whatever. I'm talking about putting her before me, dying to myself.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
Understand also, I'm not talking about "capitulating" - just rolling over to whatever. I'm talking about putting her before me, dying to myself.

The point is for both of you to be alive, though. Marriage shouldn't require the death of one spouse. This is not human sacrifice, here. smile

Capitulating is Dr. Harley's term for just doing what your spouse wants even when you are not enthusiastic.


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by markos
The point is for both of you to be alive, though. Marriage shouldn't require the death of one spouse. This is not human sacrifice, here. smile Capitulating is Dr. Harley's term for just doing what your spouse wants even when you are not enthusiastic.


In that case, I'd be interested in hearing how Dr. Harley explains Eph. 5:21,25 in light of this. Happily taking care of the woman I love doesn't sound like capitulating or giving because it won't make me unhappy. It makes me happy.

I'm going to re-ask my OP to make it more generic for others to answer:

Has anyone who has a fairly healthy marriage, ever considered meeting her wants/needs unconditionally and without refusal? In other words, when you think she needs/wants something, you deliver. No excuses. All of this without expecting reciprocation.
This would be a deliberate act of love, not out of resentment or causing unhappiness, but happily doing so. Has anyone tried this?

I am interested in hearing personal points of view, more so than a link to what Dr Harley says.






Last edited by HoodlumOfMercy; 01/09/14 05:08 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Hoodlum, this isn't a personal opinion venue. We are here to discuss Dr Harley's program. He is the expert, not us. Sacrifice and unconditional love don't make marriages happy. They breed neglect, abuse and incompatibility. And yes, many of us have tried sacrifice. It is a renters approach that leads to bad marriages.

Start here: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8110_ul.html

And then read this: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_wife.html


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
Do not make the mistake of believing the numerous other texts in the Bible about responding to negative behaviors (i.e. anger, foolishness, etc.) all have an "*except in a marriage" caveat.


Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
I am interested in hearing personal points of view, more so than a link to what Dr Harley says.

In that case, you are really in the wrong place. This is not just a general opinion discussion board.

We'll happily let you know why Dr. Harley's decades of experience have led him to believe that what you are describing is a bad idea. If you want to go ahead and do it, fine, but this is not a place for us to reinforce and support you just doing what you think is a good idea.

Most of us here destroyed our own marriages by our own best thinking before we came here. And some of us "backed it up" with Scripture!


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Read Luke 14:12-14 closely to find out why Jesus does not want you to sacrifice in a relationship where the other person is able to repay you:

http://biblehub.com/luke/14-12.htm
http://biblehub.com/luke/14-13.htm
http://biblehub.com/luke/14-14.htm

My wife is perfectly capable of repaying me in marriage, and so I do not sacrifice for her. If she became disabled and unable to recompense me, that would be a different story. In the meantime, we make our sacrifices to God jointly by giving to those who cannot repay us.


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
I had a response and decided to just forget about it. Looking at the marital situations (e.g. "Most of us here destroyed our own marriages") of most of the people on this board, perhaps I'm asking the wrong audience. Guess I need to find a board where there are great marriages who kept it great without the fractures.

Sunnytimes 1) I never believed any of the texts are "except in marriage." 2) Since most of that chapter is about marriage. If it's not right, nobody else is.

Thanks everyone for the input. Good luck to each of you.

(15 years of marriage. Through Dynamic Marriage class. Been through His Needs/Her Needs 3x.)


Last edited by HoodlumOfMercy; 01/09/14 10:25 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
I had a response and decided to just forget about it. Looking at the marital situations (e.g. "Most of us here destroyed our own marriages") of most of the people on this board, perhaps I'm asking the wrong audience. Guess I need to find a board where there are great marriages who kept it great without the fractures.

Oh you are asking the right audience alright. What matters is that we have created great marriages using these principles. Dr Harley has had a great marriage for 50 years. The point is that he knows how to create and maintain a happy, romantic marriage forever and your average "audience" has no earthly idea. Only 20% of marriages are happy and romantic so if you think you can get answers from the general population, then you have an unrealistic view of our culture.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
Hoodlum: "Sunnytimes 1) I never believed any of the texts are "except in marriage."

Good for you. It took me 25 years plus the insight of Melody Lane and others to learn that.

All of my understanding about the Ephesians chapter you referenced has been been totally re-written with a 25 year marriage which was impossible (husband prone to anger; I tried to just be quiet and not exacerbate/take it).

During a powerful application of II Cor 10:8(a) "8 For though I should boast somewhat more of our authority, which the Lord hath given us for edification, and not for your destruction,...." I realized that God did not intend for us to submit to a destructive leadership, even if it was under a husband.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 01/09/14 11:29 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 863
One more question for you:

You said: "I had a response and decided to just forget about it. Looking at the marital situations (e.g. "Most of us here destroyed our own marriages") of most of the people on this board, perhaps I'm asking the wrong audience."

Does your wife believe your marriage is in the same state that you think it is in?

When my husband and I were reading the first chapter of LoveBusters together about a couple coming to Dr. Harley for counseling where the wife was "about ready for a divorce", my husband said "that sounds pretty bad; we are nowhere near that" and I said "that's exactly where I feel we are". He was astonished and had no idea I had any thoughts to that regard.



Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 15,818
Likes: 7
Originally Posted by HoodlumOfMercy
Guess I need to find a board where there are great marriages who kept it great without the fractures.

Well the point here is that Dr. Harley studied those marriages. That's how he put his program together. As it turns out, great marriages do not do what you are describing.

Most of us who are posting to you used this information to recover our marriages. I live in a fantastic marriage today!


If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 6
**EDIT**

Last edited by Denali; 03/15/14 08:47 AM. Reason: spammer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 472 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0