Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
dapoc #2778041 01/23/14 10:51 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by dapoc
Believe me there is a big part of me that wants to expose him; but there are consequences that I will suffer if I do and I don't know that I'm ready for that right now. I very much appreciate the support and understanding from this forum.
There will be serious consequences to you if you don't expose, too.

Exposure gives your marriage the best chance for recovery. That is a simple fact.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
dapoc #2778047 01/23/14 11:39 AM
B
B
Thanks to all who have posted in response to my post. Before I found this website I had already done a few things (1) demanded immediate cessation of all contact - no calls to explain he isn't calling anymore, NO contact at all. He agreed to this and I monitor his cell phone records
How about a voice activated recorder in places where he can be by himself? His car, a bathroom, a garage?

dapoc, a 29 year affair is firmly entrenched. I hope that your H has truly gone NC, but I must share my experience that it may not just "end" because the wayward spouse wants to save his M and promises to have no more contact. My H had a 13 year affair, not even half of the time as your H, and I believe that my H truly meant it when he promised no contact after D-Day #1�.his resolve lasted exactly seven days and then he continued contact WHILE spending 3-1/2 hours per day working on marriage builders with me.

and (2) demanded absolute transparency and honesty, including a written timeline of the affair and every detail I think of to ask. He has been compliant. We have been spending a lot of time over the past month talking and talking. When I found this website, so much of what I read has rung true. I'm learning a lot.
Good to demanding absolute transparency and honesty. Once we started true recovery (after the false recovery), I finally started noticing the layers and LAYERS of dishonesty that had prevailed in our M. It took us a while and a ton of work together to recognize what being truly transparent feels like. Because my H's secret second life was so entrenched, we had made "couple" decisions for YEARS based on his lies of gaslighting me so as to arrange to keep his SSL secret. The layers are still coming off daily and we are having to learn to live together again. Recovery is not for the weak, that is for sure.

I have not exposed him; I'm still thinking about that. I feel like a bomb went off in my life and I'm not yet ready to set off the other couple of bombs that exposing him will detonate in MY life - (I don't care at all about protecting him from any consequences - he needs to take the hard road here.)
I am going to be quite blunt here because I wish that someone had hit me on the head over and over when I was in your position. I "exposed" lightly before I found MB. I thought that it had done the trick. I was wrong.

It may be too soon to see that your life has ALREADY been detonated more than you see at the moment. You may discover that the decisions that you've made together for the last 29 years have all been a lie. After I went through six months of heck on earth, and then found out that he had still been in contact, I realized that any consequences that I would "suffer" from exposing were nothing compared to facing certain divorce.

You can read one after the other story here from people who did not expose a SHORT term affair correctly and then lost their marriage. Your situation and mine are certainly ENTRENCHED and must be killed with every weapon known to man. When I finally did expose, I went nuclear, including mailing a one paragraph exposure letter with our family photo at the top to the OW's neighbors. I included my phone number so that her nosy neighbors could call me if they ever saw my H on their street again.

It seems to have killed it dead on the spot. But we are only into true ?? recovery for three months now, and so I still verify every single thing that comes out of my H's mouth, and I probably will for years.

After TRUE no contact, my H went through HORRIBLE withdrawal. Just the ugliest thing that I have ever witnessed. Once THAT slowed down and he started coming out of the fog, he was a totally different person than I've ever seen him. Totally humble. No more talk. All actions (finally!!!). Unless you have seen that dapoc, please take this seriously and don't rest in your verification of his actions.

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
J
J
If you are a follower of Christ you have an obligation to report the affair to the Church Pastor and Elders/ Bishop.

It would be a sin to knowingly allow him to continue to have any leadership role in the Church

R
R
And I will be blunt.

Your WH, has in essence, two wives. Two marriages.

Yours is the legal one but he has created a separate history,etc with OW.

You must expose to have more people know the truth.

Whether your marriage survives or goes kaput you are in charge now.

What are you afraid of with exposure? Embarrassment? Loss of financial security? What ARE you willing to sell your soul for here?

Not exposing is, in essence selling it.

(stepping off my soap box for now)

dapoc #2778091 01/23/14 03:08 PM
I
I
I have not exposed him; I'm still thinking about that. I feel like a bomb went off in my life and I'm not yet ready to set off the other couple of bombs that exposing him will detonate in MY life - (I don't care at all about protecting him from any consequences - he needs to take the hard road here.)

Believe me there is a big part of me that wants to expose him; but there are consequences that I will suffer if I do and I don't know that I'm ready for that right now. I very much appreciate the support and understanding from this forum.

What kind of repercussions?

Anyone who doesn't support you, supports sin, so you need to know who those people are. If they respond unfavourably, you need to cut them out so their poor influence cannot hurt your family.

Please don't tell us it is HIS reaction. Please don't tell us you are so afraid of your husband you are willing to keep up the secrecy for his next affair, or continuance of this one.

Since everybody already knows courtesy of his mistress' big mouth, what's the problem in your taking charge of a proper exposure?

Your husband thinks it is perfectly fine and rather efficient to get his 20 pc somewhere else. Only the shock and awe of exposure will convince him it is disgusting.

How do you think his mindset will change through blank forgiveness and your helping keep it secret?

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/23/14 03:09 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

dapoc #2778092 01/23/14 03:16 PM
M
M

We understand the consequences very well. They are quite grave if you choose to enable this affair by keeping their secret. No one benefits from that, no one. Other than the affair. Affairs thrive on secrecy, so keeping it a secret serves to enable the fantasy and helps them hook up again. Exposure is your most powerful weapon and the critical first step in recovery.

You have no legitimate reason to NOT expose the affair and thousands of good reasons TO EXPOSE it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
[
You will receive great advice here, but I hope that you will consider e-mailing the Harley's. Dr. Harley will help you take the right next steps. It's been a long time getting here, so wouldn't it be better to not waste more time with missteps?

I agree. What better way to waste time and avoid taking the right steps? Since we already know that Dr Harley will tell you to expose, wasting time in asking him what we already know will help you avoid taking a crucial step a little longer!

Thanks Justthe3ofus! crazy

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Now what does Dr Harley say about exposure? I do not know!! think I did a google search just to find out!

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
"The reason for the wide exposure is not to hurt the unfaithful spouse, but rather to end the fantasy. Your husband's secret second life made his affair possible, and the more you can to to make it public, the easier it is for him to see the damage he's doing. Keeping it secret does damage, but few know about it. Making it public helps everyone, including the unfaithful spouse and lover, see the affair for what it really is."

Originally Posted by Dr Harley
"Exposure is very likely to end the affair, lifting the fog that has overcome the unfaithful spouse, helping him or her become truly repentant and willing to put energy and effort into a full marital recovery. In my experience with thousands of couples who struggle with the fallout of infidelity, exposure has been the single most important first step toward recovery. It not only helps end the affair, but it also provides support to the betrayed spouse, giving him or her stamina to hold out for ultimate recovery."

Dr Harley telling a caller he is an "enabler" for not exposing an affair: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=2815

And I believe there might be about 1000 such radio clips in the archives since Dr Harley gives this advice several times a week.

In other words, there is no need to write Dr Harley for advice about exposure, since we already know. Why waste his time and that of this poster? It is to only prolong the inevitable.

Exposure 101

dapoc #2778205 01/23/14 10:07 PM
B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

D
dapoc Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just to be clear here: The first time I discovered the affair, I exposed loud and clear. My family, his family, her husband, our friends. (And I happen to know at the time she had told her friends because I was getting calls from them. My in-laws even got a call from her!!!) So I did not fail to expose the first time. My reticence at this time for exposing has nothing whatsoever to do with protecting HIM. I have no problem with that. The real victims in an exposure in this case are innocents - including my children. And frankly wide exposure last time didn't change a thing.

I'm still thinking. And I've written to the show; got an email back and am going to call. I am taking my time because right now I am in control - I feel completely in control.

Thanks for your continued support.

dapoc #2778405 01/25/14 01:07 PM
M
M
I am utterly confused. You refused to expse when it was suggested above:

"Believe me there is a big part of me that wants to expose him; but there are consequences that I will suffer if I do and I don't know that I'm ready for that right now. I very much appreciate the support and understanding from this forum."

So now you are saying you did? When did you expose the affair? I am confused about why you said you didn't want to expose and then you say you did?

What did you write Dr Harley about?

Exposure 101

dapoc #2778406 01/25/14 01:10 PM
P
P
The real victims in an exposure in this case are innocents - including my children.
Correction: they are not victims of exposure, they are victims of the affair.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2778414 01/25/14 02:34 PM
M
M
The only victim of exposure is the affair and that is a good thing. No one benefits from keeping an affair secret; no one.

Exposure 101

J
J
ML,
The affair is 29 years old. Dapoc learned of it 29 years ago or so and exposed it. Then the affair went underground and she only recently discovered it.

I recommended she call the show because she is dealing with a 29 year old lie, which I think makes recovery very difficult.

Dapoc,
Exposure is not a guarantee that the affair will be killed, but Dr. Harley is very clear that exposure offers the best chance at killing the affair. That is why exposure is always pushed hard on this forum.

Also, what good is there in hiding the truth. Keeping it secret enables it, and doesn't hold the wayward spouse accountable. The truth must be exposed.

M
M
Originally Posted by Justthe3ofus
ML,
The affair is 29 years old. Dapoc learned of it 29 years ago or so and exposed it. Then the affair went underground and she only recently discovered it.

I recommended she call the show because she is dealing with a 29 year old lie, which I think makes recovery very difficult.

Yes, recovery is difficult. In all marriages. But she does not need to write Dr Harley since we already know the solution here. It is great to write Dr Harley when there are complicated issues, but when the remedy is clear cut, that only serves as a distraction and a way to avoid taking necessary steps. So instead of exposing the affair, a necessary step, she is wasting time writing dr h.

Exposure 101

M
M
Dr Harley provides the forum for free and recommends that people ome here for help. There is no reason to believe she can't get the necessary help here. When we can't help someone we send them to dr h.

Exposure 101

dapoc #2778431 01/25/14 07:34 PM
B
B
Hi dapoc, the problem with your previous exposure and it not changing a thing is that there is a very narrow path to true recovery.

After exposure, EPs (extraordinary precautions) must be put into place. I am guessing here that you did the very best that you could at the time, and maybe your H even tried with all his might to stick to his promise, but many if not most affairs are addictions, and this addiction is bigger than him.

You will need to re-expose, and if you decide that you want to save your marriage, you will need to put extreme EPs into place. Because of his entrenched affair, H and I have some extreme EPs, but we both agreed to them, and they were the only way that I would risk staying in the M.

I literally had to follow my H to the bathroom for the first couple of months (thanks to Melody who took the time to point out the obvious to me).

We were never apart except for when he was at work�and the only reason that I agreed to him continuing employment was that my brother was the boss and he hired an extra person to babysit my H all day long, including to the bathroom. Even with THAT and his agreement to the EPs being necessary, my H did admit to me that for the first two weeks of withdrawal, he sometimes still felt like cutting and running (now he is disgusted when he thinks about that). We are still always together, but now he leaves the bathroom door open and I don't go in with him. I know that this all sounds surreal, but it really IS what it took to cut off that addiction and allow enough safety for me to start healing because I KNEW that he truly had NC.

The only way to stop an addiction is to take it away. If your H really wants to stop, and you two decide to work together and design EPs to take it away, there is hope. But you HAVE to re-expose first (and then once he calms down you can talk about a NC letter and designing EPs, etc).

DDays - six months of them
THANK YOU God and Marriage Builders.
We never knew that it could be this good! smile
A
A
dapoc,

Is your reluctance to expose your H's 29 year affair because your children idolize their lying, cheating father and you don't want you burst their fantasy bubble? Same with your church? Protecting HIM from his behavior enables him to continue.

Since your husband is self-employed, can you move? This OW is/has been way too close and way to accessible.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
H
H
Does his other child know about your children and they are siblings?

Another reason to expose.

If you do not follow everyone's advice here you will one day regret it, trust me I didn't!

How I look back and wish I had heeded the advise of experts! I wasted 4 years and I would think you would not want to waste even 1 more after a 29 year affair.

HalfUnit
Me-BS-50
H-WS-46
J
J
Dr. Harley addressed your email on the Radio Show today.

He encouraged you to speak with family, friends and church and tell them the truth and ask for their support.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 685 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation