Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
K
Reading with my son on his homework brought me to a couple of books I wouldn't have chosen to read otherwise: "In Cold Blood" and "The Scarlet Letter". Neither of those books are worth the time it took to read them, but AP Literature seems to think they are worth it... there's no accounting for educational value or taste in our school systems!

Some good books I have read this year:

* Common Denominator of Success by Alfred E.N. Gray (very short book)
* You Squared by Price Pritchett (also a very short book)
* Wake Up To A Happier You by Amanda Dickson
* Kissing a Frog by Sharlene Wells Hawkes
* Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas (a must read for everyone who has money in the stock market)
* Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T Harv Eker
* King James Bible - currently reading in the New Testament again with my son
* Book of Mormon

The girl who cuts my hair says I need to read the Twilight series, but it hasn't intrigued me enough to check it out.

Cafe Plan B link http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2182650&page=1

The ? that made recovery possible: "Which lovebuster do I do the most that hurts the worst"?

The statement that signaled my personal recovery and the turning point in our marriage recovery: "I don't need to be married that badly!"

If you're interested in saving your relationship, you'll work on it when it's convenient. If you're committed, you'll accept no excuses.
S
S
Originally Posted by thndrnltng
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
I am reading a dang good book right now titled Peter, Fisher of Men by Noni Beth Gibbs, our own forum member! laugh

Since ML is too polite to hook the two IDs together, and the author is too modest, let me say that Noni Beth Gibbs has the MB persona you know (and sometimes love) of Neak. And I'll also say that Peter, Fisher of Men is the 2nd book in what may someday be a trilogy, if the Dervish would ever slow down enough to let her write! The first book is Malchus--Touched by Jesus (which sort of gives it away as a religious-themed book, doesn't it?) They are two halves of a coin, two sides of the same story, and ideally should be read in sequence. They tell the story of Jesus--first through the eyes of his enemies (Malchus) and then through the eyes of his friends (Peter). I have no personal connection with the author of this book--just heard this extra info on the grapevine! :RollieEyes:

Signed,

Mom

I have these books, and they are incredible! Neak, you are a truly gifted writer!

Happily married to HerPapaBear

W
W
Well I just order Mulchus and can't wait to get it.

I have spent the last 10 months reading nothing but stock market/finance/economic/political, etc, (The Shack excluded) and I need to read something inspirational. I'm not a Christian, Neak as you know, but I am so looking forward to reading some spiritual stuff again and that you are the author is really cool.

Kayla, if you haven't already, check out The Creature from Jekyll Island about the creation of the Federal Reserve. If that doesn't give you a bad 'tude regarding this mess we are in, nothing will.

My DD is reading The Twilight series. She loved the first one, but like you said, it's not really my cup of tea. Maybe sometime this winter though.

Probably out of place here, but one I just remembered...

When I was ten, I read Edwin H. Colbert's "Dinosaurs: Their Discovery and Their World." It's a pretty technical book, but I must have read it 15 times from cover 2 cover between when I was 10 and 16. I used 2 dream about finding dinosaur fossils, and even started digging a hole out in a field when we lived in NW Ohio when I was 10. Didn't find anything, and I should have known why - it's all Devonian float there!

I always knew I would either be a paleontologist or an astronomer, since before I learned 2 read.

Sorry for the OTish post.

-ol' 2long

R
R
My favorite book I've read recently was "Fooled by Randomness"

Bit of a difficult read, but interesting.

Me 43 BH
MT 43 WW
Married 20 years, No Kids, 2 Difficult Cats
D-day July, 2005
4.5 False Recoveries
Me - recovered
The M - recovered
A
A
Originally Posted by 2long
I always knew I would either be a paleontologist or an astronomer, since before I learned 2 read.

Sorry for the OTish post.

I think it's so awesome when someone knows...definitively and passionately...what they want to do in life. cool You're fortunate, 2Long

I wish I had been one of those people, instead of ending up a worker-bee who's okay with her job, but certainly not passionate about it.

Sorry to have prolonged the OTishness. grin

Lori

VERY HAPPY! FBS/FWS; 47yo; M-29 yrs.; DS-26,DD-21; our affairs: 1990-'96
P
P
I'm a big reader (about one book a week) but my reading tends to be for fun and relaxation. Right now though I'm reading a fiction novel called "So Help Me God" by Larry Thompson. It's a story about an abortion gone bad and the trial that follows. Interesting stuff.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
N
N
Thank you, SMB. smile

Weaves, yup, I know you're not a Christian - I pray you'll find a blessing anyway. You're good peeps, and such an important guide to me during the A, as well.

Besides, the back of cereal boxes sound like an improvement over what you've been reading!

A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
~ English proverb

Neak's Story
W
W
Neakster,

I rec'd Mulchus! But I have been crazy busy all last week with the holiday so haven't read it yet. I did bounce around the house for half an hour showing everyone and explaining how I "knew" the author. And all about your sis, Mom, hubby, etc...like you were our long lost cousins or something. LOL I did start and go over the index of names, meanings, who they belonged to. That is such a nice feature and so helpful! Can't wait, probably should have ordered both at the same time. Beautiful cover artwork, too.

2long,

Your parents probably slapped themselves on the back for years after buying that book for you. Imagine a single few dollar investment that keeps your kid occupied for six years!

Ragamuffin,

My DH and I have both read most of his books, and although my husband likes him more than I do, he has been very helpful to me in getting me to examine my thought processes. DH leaned on his books heavily when he had suffered the loss of his brother, business and ten year common law marriage.

Lori,

Me, too! And I am sick of working for "the man"! I would give anything to go back and redo the years when I didn't know what I wanted to do. Maybe we can do a thread about discovering our purpose, or at the very least our passion. Neak said in her book that she had prayed for guidance because she felt she had some buried talent (writing, inspiring too I assume). I haven't even read her book yet and I keep thinking about her statement.

Sorry for the huge T/J! I need to get back to the recipe thread and get off your book thread Cinders, and hopefully will have time sometime soon.

C
OP Offline
C
it's alright, weaves, alright indeed! hug

G
G
I loved "The Last Lecture." I also loved the mouthwatering great romantic escape to Italy story on a backdrop of true historical events during WWII, Anthony Capella's "The Wedding Officer."

G

me - 47
H - 46
DS 16 - DD 13
H EA August 2007
"Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were." Cherie Carter
J
J
Originally Posted by Unfettered
I read "Atlas Shrugged" again recently, but then again, I'm a huge Ayn Rand fan and usually read it once a year. whistle

I'm re-reading Atlas now...

B
B
"Which God? - Jesus, Holy Spirit, God in Christianity & Islam"
Mark Durie, published by deror books (www.derorbooks.com)
compares scripture and writings among the three major religions
[I attended one of Dr. Durie's lectures recently and bought both of his books there]

"Attention All Passengers" - The Airlines' Dangerous Descent - And How To Reclaim Our Skies" by William J. McGee
www.harpercollins.com

Belle, Domestic Goddess
M
M
This has been a great read so far!

Seven Events That Made America America: And Proved That the Founding Fathers Were Right All Along by Schweikart, Larry

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

O
O
Such Intellectuals Here. smile

B
B
Okay, coming clean: I keep the Chronicles of Narnia by my bedside and read a bit each night. Prince Caspian is what I have right now. blush

Belle, Domestic Goddess
P
P
Haven't been reading much lately, more "listening" to books. Right now I'm "reading", "The Invention of Wings" by Sue Monk Kidd. Think "The Help" but in an earlier era, and not comical at all.

Widowed 11/10/12 after 35 years of marriage
“In a sense now, I am homeless. For the home, the place of refuge, solitude, love-where my husband lived-no longer exists.” Joyce Carolyn Oates, A Widow's Story
J
J
I finished "Spellbinder" by Harold Robbins tonight

L
L
I've been loving the Bodie and Brock Thoene books. Husband and wife team write the books together. He does all the research and she spins the stories.

There are several series: Galway Chronicles delve into Irish history. The Zion Chronicles cover the events leading up to WW2. The AD series are about the times that Jesus lived in.

Really great historical fiction.

Married 1980
DDay Nov 2010

Recovered thanks to Marriage Builders
H
H
Currently reading "The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True" by Richard Dawkins

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,027 guests, and 52 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation