Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2799840 05/05/14 12:22 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Everyone. Been married 30 years. Had an affair 3 years ago with college boyfriend. Lasted 5 months. Husband discovered, we separated for 2 months. He forgave, asked me back home. We have 3 kids 22, 17, 16. I've done the steps of the recovery on this site, been completely open and willing to do anything. Husband literally has no friends - he's a loner, so he doesn't think he needs any. Won't go to small groups, won't go to counseling. Drinks two to three shots of whiskey every night (if he is developing a drinking problem, he's what's called a high functioning alcoholic - because he goes to work everyday and is responsible). He's mean and depressed when not drinking. He has a history thruout our marriage of being a bully, used to be physically abusive but that has stopped, is still verbally and emotionally abusive. Not an excuse for having an affair, but it is a reason. But now that he has that 'over me' he won't or can't let go. He refuses to have sex with me - he says he can't. I've asked him a dozen times what I can do to help, what I can do for him, what I can stop doing. He says its not me, that its him. He's depressed all the time - that or mean to me and the kids. But I was the WRONG one here, so I have a hard time saying anything. If I bring it up, he says 'you don't really want to know how I feel - it will just hurt you'. I say yes I do and he won't talk. Anyway, that's the background - now for the current question - when he acts badly or inappropriately or yells or cusses at me or the kids, I usually approach him and we hash it out, he'll apologize and we'll move on. Yesterday, in the church parking lot of all places, he pulled my son's hair (it's a little long) just teasing him but it was hard and my son got really mad. All he did was laugh at my son's reaction. I turned around and told him he needed to apologize that it was serious and he said 'f off' and we haven't spoken since. This is his pattern. He acts inappropriately but doesn't talk to me. Never approaches me with an apology. I always have to seek him out. My daughter was adamant with me about this time tho. She said do not approach him to talk. Don't do anything. He was wrong here, let him approach you. But I want to do the Godly thing - but I don't know what that is. It boils down to this. I know the affair was awful and how much it hurt him. I'm willing to do anything to save our marriage and help him recover. I've done the steps and I continue to pray for him. But its as if he's making me suffer everyday. If it were just me maybe I could handle it but he makes the kids suffer too. Before the affair, he sees his life as perfect. He was the leader of 3 bible studies, important and needed in our church, friends. Since the affair, he has torn away from his friends, won't be in a small group, let alone lead one, he goes to church but is on his smart phone the whole time looking up game scores, is drinking more, meaner, sadder, refuses to get help. What is the Godly thing to do here? Am I to continue to subject my kids to his behavior? He blames the affair and me for destroying everything. Please advise and thank you.

Last edited by StillTrying51; 05/05/14 12:24 PM.
W
W
Honey, Im not sure if this is entirely marriage builders advice, but I would leave. You are in an abusive marriage and while no- its not an excuse for the affair, its not worth staying with an abuser and showing your kids that thats what marriage is. Your husband doesn't seem willing to make any effort to change and make his own life better. You deserve better, and so do your kids.

BW-27
FWH-31
DS-6
Married several years
D-Day- 11/22/13
Plan A+Exposure
NC+Beginning of Recovery-04/2014

In Recovery and happier and more in love than ever
P
P
Read this article:
Coping with Infidelity: Resentment

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
I'm convinced that what's kept the resentment of S.R.'s husband alive for so many years is that he has found it to be an effective way to control and punish her whenever she doesn't do what he wants. Whenever they have a fight, he brings it up, and it causes her such guilt that it gives him a decided advantage in winning the argument.

By this time, I don't believe that her affair is the problem that she thinks it is. Instead, it is an issue that her husband is using to get the upper hand in his relationship with her. It probably shows up the most whenever she has been reluctant to have sex with him. It throws her off balance whenever he mentions it, and makes her feel guilty, wanting to make it up to him somehow. He may also bring it up whenever she is winning in a power struggle he is having with her.

What she describes to me in her letter is abuse, pure and simple. There is no excuse for the way her husband keeps bringing up her moment of weakness she experienced years ago. He is disrespectful and abusive.

I suggest that she look him right in the eye and say to him, "Listen Buster, do you love me? Do you want me to love you? Do you want to spend the rest of your life with me? If the answers to any of those questions is 'yes' you sure are going about it the wrong way. You are not doing things that I admire, you're doing things that I find disgusting!"

What if he says, "Fine, then lets just get a divorce and end it all."

To that I would say, "It's up to you. I married you for life, but if you want a divorce, it's your call. If you want to be in a love relationship with me, however, you're going to have to treat me much better than you have been treating me. You must never again bring up my affair, and if you are upset with me, you will have to treat me with respect until we can solve the problem. If you are upset with our sexual relationship, I want us to discuss it as adults and solve it with mutual respect. I refuse to be treated like this, especially by the man I love."

My advice to her husband is to never mention her affair again. It's a good example of one of the enemies of good conversation, dwelling on past mistakes. Whenever you keep bringing up your spouses past mistakes, you not only make your conversations incredibly unpleasant, but it cannot possibly lead to a resolution of a conflict you may be discussing. And as soon as his resentment doesn't pay him any dividends -- no longer helps him get his way -- he will find that it hardly ever occurs to him.

Hanging on to an unpleasant thought because it helps us somehow is what psychologists call "secondary gain." It means that even though the thought is unpleasant, it gets you something you need, so your mind keeps it around for its usefulness. There are many unpleasant thoughts that have this characteristic, and I have helped many people let them go by helping them destroy the usefulness of the thought. Making sure that S.K.'s husband never gets what he wants by bringing up her affair will help him overcome his resentment.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

L
L
Before you attempt the proper advice in Prisca's post, please tell us how your affair ended, if there is or was any continued contact with your affair partner, what conditions allowed the affair to take place, who and how was the affair exposed to, were the children exposed about what occurred and by whom, and also precisely what EP's (Extraordinary Precautions) have been implemented to affair proof your marriage?

LTL

Last edited by LearnedTooLate; 05/05/14 02:22 PM.
J
J
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
SH, and it could also be that he is in the HABIT of thinking and speaking about it. We can help him with that. It is a terrible habit that some BS's get into and it keeps us mired in tragedy.

But more importantly, if you really focus on falling back in love, he will think about it less and less as time goes on.

The FASTEST way to move your relationship forward is via the policy of undivided attention. That is the KEY to dragging your marriage into a new realm. check this out: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_attn.html

Have you started to follow the recovery plan in Surviving an Affair?

Do you have Undivided Attention time of 20 hours a week together?

S
OP Offline
S
I have read that entire article - here's the problem. As stated in my original post - my husband is a die-hard loner. He doesn't want to spend time with me. This was his way even before the affair. Occasionally we had a date night without the kids but it was always for me. This isn't just talk either - I've lived with him for over 30 years. He doesn't like attention, let alone undivided attention. He likes taking walks, hiking, boating, reading, tinkering in his workshop, doing yard work - all these things bring him happiness - not time with me or his family. He does do the family things but it's for us - not him. So that article does nothing to address men like this. I've asked him consistently 'what can I do for you' 'is there something you'd like from me that i'm not doing'. He always says the same thing - no, it's me - not you. And NOW - I couldn't begin to do the undivided attention thing because he isn't speaking to me because of the blow up at church. My Christian friends have been adamant that he is playing a control thing with me - trying to break me down. Trying to get me to come to him and that I should wait for him. I'm afraid that I might be in for a long wait. I hate the silent treatment.

L
L
Originally Posted by LearnedTooLate
Before you attempt the proper advice in Prisca's post, please tell us how your affair ended, if there is or was any continued contact with your affair partner, what conditions allowed the affair to take place, who and how was the affair exposed to, were the children exposed about what occurred and by whom, and also precisely what EP's (Extraordinary Precautions) have been implemented to affair proof your marriage?

LTL

This jumped out at me in your 1st post:

Quote:
Before the affair, he sees his life as perfect. He was the leader of 3 bible studies, important and needed in our church, friends. Since the affair, he has torn away from his friends, won't be in a small group, let alone lead one,
Unquote:

So, it seems as if he used to have friends PRIOR to your affair.

Answer the questions that i previously asked that were not replied to please.

I don't feel that he feels you have given him JC, Just Compensation, even if he doesn't know what that would be, but he is not the same person he used to be. That's glaringly obvious.

LTL

P
P
Originally Posted by StillTrying51
I have read that entire article - here's the problem. As stated in my original post - my husband is a die-hard loner. He doesn't want to spend time with me. This was his way even before the affair. Occasionally we had a date night without the kids but it was always for me. This isn't just talk either - I've lived with him for over 30 years. He doesn't like attention, let alone undivided attention. He likes taking walks, hiking, boating, reading, tinkering in his workshop, doing yard work - all these things bring him happiness - not time with me or his family. He does do the family things but it's for us - not him. So that article does nothing to address men like this. I've asked him consistently 'what can I do for you' 'is there something you'd like from me that i'm not doing'. He always says the same thing - no, it's me - not you. And NOW - I couldn't begin to do the undivided attention thing because he isn't speaking to me because of the blow up at church. My Christian friends have been adamant that he is playing a control thing with me - trying to break me down. Trying to get me to come to him and that I should wait for him. I'm afraid that I might be in for a long wait. I hate the silent treatment.

If he will not have UA with you, then there is no hope for your marriage. UA is an essential component of Just Compensation.

Have you presented this recovery plan to him? Have you talked to him about UA?

You cannot wait forever. It will destroy you emotionally and physically. He either needs to join you in recovery now OR you need to separate.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (whwh747474), 473 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation