Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
My wife has continually told me that I need to talk to her about the things that I've done that have hurt her or we'll never get through our troubles. I have approached this from my perspective and talked until I'm blue in the face and have nothing more to say. What I'm discovering is that I'm not really "talking" with her, I'm talking "at" her. I have confessed my sins to her numerous times but our conversations never really get to the conversing part where we are actually talking in an intimate way. I've always struggled to talk intimately with my wife and I'm not really sure why. I did have a girlfriend in my dating years that was someone that I could just talk to for hours on end. I've never experienced that with my wife, even when we were first dating over 30 years ago. I'd like to get your ideas on intimate conversation and what works, what doesn't work and why I'm not connecting with my wife.

I'm 64 yrs old; married to my wife for almost 40 yrs. Started having marriage troubles 10 years ago. I have lived independently for all of these years. 10 yrs ago wife announced she did not love me anymore. Wife has had angry outbursts our whole married life. I now understand that this is a symptom of my independent behavior. No infidelity from either of us. Active members of our church. 4 children, 1 son, 3 daughters. All out of the house now. Adjusting to the empty nest
H
H
You likely had no troubles speaking with the girlfriend, because your problems were not with her. Had you married her, you would be in the same position you are with your wife.

The only solution is not to TALK about troubles of the past, but if you talk about the past, let it be to PREVENT and SOLVE those same problems in the future. Dr. Harley does not recommend talking about the past if it is just that. But you may want to fill out the questionnaires on this website to discover what hurts your wife and how you can prevent that in the future. No happy wife will but her husband about the past, because there is nothing you can do about it. But you can LEARN from it.

Just 1. stop lovebusting, 2. fill her love bank and yours by taking her out on romantic and fun dates and 3. learn how to negotiate succesfully. Friday's radio show was about that.
Once you fall in love, you will have no trouble sharing your feelings with your wife.

In the mean time, ask her how she feels about various subjects and listen to what she has to say and try to understand her point of view.

Read about friends and enemies of good conversation and what to do if conversation becomes unpleasant.

Last edited by happyheart; 05/26/14 08:40 AM.

me, DH
all the children
H
H
If she is still having angry outburst, something should be done about that. That is also the case, is she is using things from the past for the sole purpose to bash you.

me, DH
all the children
H
H

The Second Enemy of Good Conversation is dwelling on mistakes, past or present.

me, DH
all the children
M
M
dividejim, I would introduce the Marriage Builders policies to her and see if she feels like if you would follow these it would prevent you from doing these things to her again. Get a plan in place that she agrees will prevent these things from ever happening again: a set of rules for you to follow. Once that plan is in place, the two of you need to find some other things to talk about.

Get His Needs Her Needs and read Dr. Harley's chapter on conversation. Focus on practicing the four "friends of good conversation" every day with your wife, for fifteen hours a week, and avoid the four "enemies of good conversation." Read and review the four friends and enemies every day, yourself.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
L
L
My response is from your wife'so point of view. Are you defensive when you talk about issues? Are you concerned about her feelings and empathetic?

For me, it is nice if my husband acknowledges his problems/mistakes, but I am more interested in how he feels when the issues accur. I want to understand where he is coming from.

Perhaps, your wife's approach is putting you automatically in an angry state? If you are both angry/upset, it is difficult to have intimate conversation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 671 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation