Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I need some clarification on the concept of compromise and the philosophy that compromising leads to resentment. I spent my career in business and in many ways you have to continually compromise, that's just the way it was, you negotiated if the offer you were given was not acceptable. No compromising meant you would do very little business and likely go out of business.

Now work life has a tendency to influence ones personal life. As in business if you are not flexible or refuse to bend your partner likely will consider you hard headed and unreasonable. So I am used to the concept that both parties give a little and come to an agreement that both can live with.

If both parties take the mindset that they will not compromise or negotiate is it not likely that both parties will become resentful that their partner is unreasonable? It seems to me it is unlikely you will always get what you want in life. It seems to me that negotiation would likely circumvent resentment in compromise. Am I missing something in my understanding of what Dr. Harley is trying to get across for a successful relationship?

Me 58 BS

M
M
Originally Posted by bcboyb
If both parties take the mindset that they will not compromise or negotiate is it not likely that both parties will become resentful that their partner is unreasonable?

I don't know where you got the idea that Marriage Builders does not advocate negotiation because that is the entire basis for the POJA. I am a negotiator for a Fortune 500 company and I would not negotiate successful deals if I asked my customer to "compromise." I would not make my company any money if I compromised. What I do in my business is negotiate win/win solutions. A great deal for you and a great deal for me. And this is what Harley is suggesting in marriage.

In my marriage, we don't compromise, rather we seek win/win solutions. What we can't do is come into a negotiation with a demand or pre-set outcome. For example, I might want to go out and eat Mexican food. My H hates Mexican food. If I am stubborn about eating M food, then we have lost before we began. The prescribed solution is to find a THIRD restaurant that we both love. [that is what we do, in fact] That way we both win.

compromise: an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

Compromise means to "make concessions." Making concessions leads to resentment. There is a better way. That way is to continue to negotiate until you find a winning solution for BOTH parties.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

A
A
The Policy of Joint Agreement requires that both spouses be enthusiastic about all decisions or a win-win. If either spouse is reluctant, the default is to do nothing, but keep brainstorming new solutions. Neither spouse should sacrifice.

Dr. Harley talks about two types of resentment. I believe he describes Type A resentment as that felt when a person doesn't get to do something they wanted to do. Type B resentment occurs when a spouse does something even though the other spouse disagrees. People generally don't feel much long term resentment with Type A; but Type B resentment can last a very long time. A spouse that habitually sacrifices will end up with a great deal of Type B resentment and will potentially fall out of love with their spouse.

If you know how to negotiate in business, then you are ahead of the game in applying the POJA.

AM

BW - 70
WH - 65
M - 35 years
D-day - 17 Apr 08
H broke contact 11/1/09
Back in love after the worst thing that every happened to us.
M
M
It seems to me that negotiation would likely circumvent resentment in compromise. Am I missing something in my understanding of what Dr. Harley is trying to get across for a successful relationship?
What you are missing is the emotional context. In business, you don't care if you love your counterpart or not. In marriage, remaining in love is the underlying goal of any negotiation. For any issue on which you might be tempted to compromise, there exist solutions which require no compromise. Those win-win solutions are just harder to find. They take more effort, but the effort is worthwhile because it preserves your love bank balances for each other. Compromise depletes your love bank. That's why compromise is a bad idea.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
So I am used to the concept that both parties give a little and come to an agreement that both can live with.

"Give a little" and "compromise" are both tricky wording, and Dr. Harley would not use it - any solution that requires one spouse to gain at the expense of the other needs to be left off the table.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Resist one type of solution that your Giver and Taker may suggest the "I'll let you do what you want this time if you let me do what I want next time" solution. For example, imagine that you want to go out with your friends after work, leaving your spouse with the children. So to arrive at an enthusiastic agreement for that thoughtless activity, you suggest that you take the children another night so that your spouse can go out with his or her friends.

What you're really proposing here is that each of you will sacrifice so that the other can have fun. The problem with that arrangement is that you are agreeing to behavior that makes one of you unhappy whenever the other is happy, and as I've said earlier, once you have made an agreement, it can easily turn into a habit.

The Giver and Taker suggest those kinds of win-lose solutions because they don't understand win-win solutions. Their concept of fairness is that if you are both suffering equally, that's fair. My view of negotiation is that by the time you are finished you should have arrived at a solution where neither of you suffers. And each part of the solution should not require either of you to sacrifice so that the other can be happy.

Four Guidelines to Successful Negotiation

Dr. Harley put out a new book last year called He Wins, She Wins that covers marital negotiation in great detail.

Don't ask your spouse to "give a little" - it suggests that they are being unreasonable, and suggests that you want a solution where one or both of you will sacrifice a bit.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
K
K
Hi Melody, thanks for your response. While I agree with what you write, there's an aspect of your post that I'd like to elaborate on because I think it illustrates a confusion some people (including me) often have with POJA.

In your solution to the Mexican restaurant dilemma, it seems that choosing a non-Mexican restaurant IS a concession in that you gave up your desire to eat Mexican in order to find a win-win solution. Although the non-Mexican restaurant is something you both love, you had to cross the Mexican restaurant off the list of possibilities. It was done to find a win-win solution, which is a great thing, but it does seem to be a concession.

In the Venn diagram linked below, POJA means limiting your restaurant choices to the lavender area. In order to do that, you concede the restaurants in the pink area and your husband concedes the restaurants in the blue area. To me, that sounds like a compromise.

[img] http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=31b8a11 [/img]

(Written text is sometimes construed one way by the writer and a different way by the reader. Just so there's no confusion, I want to state that I'm not trying to argue with you, rather I'm trying to develop my own understanding of POJA. Thanks for your help!

Also, I'm not sure the best way to insert images into a post. The above link is supposedly valid for only 28 days.)

M
M
Originally Posted by KeepLearning
In your solution to the Mexican restaurant dilemma, it seems that choosing a non-Mexican restaurant IS a concession in that you gave up your desire to eat Mexican in order to find a win-win solution. Although the non-Mexican restaurant is something you both love, you had to cross the Mexican restaurant off the list of possibilities. It was done to find a win-win solution, which is a great thing, but it does seem to be a concession.
If you find a win-win solution, then you will be just as happy with the new restaurant choice as you would have been with the Mexican restaurant. So how is that a concession? Is giving up your right to be disagreeable a concession?

This problem seems to be originating from looking at the POJA process from the point of view of how much you stand to lose. Maybe you would understand it better if you considered instead how much you have to gain.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Kl, the reason I say it is not a concession is because a concession means I lose something. That I have made a sacrifice. but I have lost nothing when we agree on a restaurant I like as much or more than Mexican. I equate concession with sacrifice. And that is what should be avoided.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

K
K
Originally Posted by mrEureka
If you find a win-win solution, then you will be just as happy with the new restaurant choice as you would have been with the Mexican restaurant. So how is that a concession? Is giving up your right to be disagreeable a concession?
Well, it's a concession from the point of view that I gave up my desire to eat Mexican. I wouldn't be giving up my right to be disagreeable because compromising is way to reach an agreement.

Originally Posted by mrEureka
This problem seems to be originating from looking at the POJA process from the point of view of how much you stand to lose. Maybe you would understand it better if you considered instead how much you have to gain.
Good point. And I think that's why conceding my desire to eat Mexican doesn't feel like a concession. Limiting our choice of restaurants to ones we both enjoy serves us best as a couple and is worth more than eating at a restaurant that only one of us enjoys. Still the fact that we limit our choices seems to contain some element of compromise.

K
K
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Kl, the reason I say it is not a concession is because a concession means I lose something. That I have made a sacrifice. but I have lost nothing when we agree on a restaurant I like as much or more than Mexican. I equate concession with sacrifice. And that is what should be avoided.
Agreed, a concession means you lose something. And in the restaurant scenario, it seems that you lose the option of going to some restaurants you enjoy because you limit your choice of restaurants to the one's both you and your husband enjoy.

I don't have a problem with that because I think limiting your choice that way is the best way to make joint decisions, but it still has the element of compromise. At least to me it does.

From your point of view, does what I write sound reasonable? Does it make sense? Or does it sound like I just don't get it. If the latter, then I guess I'm looking for some kind of "a-ha!" moment where I DO get it. smile

M
M
Agreed, a concession means you lose something. And in the restaurant scenario, it seems that you lose the option of going to some restaurants you enjoy because you limit your choice of restaurants to the one's both you and your husband enjoy.

That is where I think you are misunderstanding because I don't lose the option of going to restaurants I enjoy. WE just replace it with a better option. We replace those restaurants on my individual list [and his] with places we both enjoy as much or more. I would not enjoy winning at my husbands expense, so I have lost nothing by finding a better option. There are so many restaurants I enjoy much more than Mexican and there are many restaurants he enjoys more than Chinese.[I don't like chinese]

So, I have not conceded - or sacrificed - anything because there is no loss. There is gain because we have a short list that we BOTH enjoy so we can both go there and enjoy ourselves. Neither is winning at the others expense.

Exposure 101

M
M
The key to understanding the POJA is that it is not a loss, but a gain. It is not a loss to find a better option. If I find a better home than I live in now, I do not feel "loss", I feel GAIN.

Exposure 101

I
I
And in the restaurant scenario, it seems that you lose the option of going to some restaurants you enjoy because you limit your choice of restaurants to the one's both you and your husband enjoy

Whenever I PoJA, I find it expands the options, rather than limiting them. Take the example on the table of wanting Mexican food. If I really wanted Mexican food and my partner did not, it doesn't mean I lose it it just means I can't force him to do it!

I could pitch to him that I still get it for lunch, or go to a restaurant with some girlfriends, or go to a restaurant that offers lots of different cuisines so he could order something else. We could order take out from two places and mix and match. If I loved a certain dish, I could try modifying it at home for us to try, less spicy etc.

Even when it comes to the OS friendship rule, an MBer doesn't lose anything. They will still get everything they wanted from the friend, RC etc, they will just get it from the person they agreed to be best friends with - their spouse!

Say as a spouse, you ban Facebook use because of it's role in affairs. OK, but you only give up the format, you don't give up the things you were getting out of FB. You can still get IC, family news and see cute pics of your baby nieces - you'll just get it delivered to your brain in a way your spouse does not object to. In person or with a more secure app. It's not a sacrifice, it's just a change in format.

The only option you lose in PoJA is the option to make your spouse unhappy.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

M
M
Believe me, I am not sitting there feeling "loss" when I am enjoying a prime rib and salad with blue cheese with a happy husband!

Exposure 101

B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
compromise:
an agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

Definition of CONCESSION
a : the act or an instance of conceding (as by granting something as a right, accepting something as true, or acknowledging defeat)

I think where I was struggling is the degree of attachment to the thing or event. Does it really matter to me about the restaurant? What if I have a real desire for Mexican food and we have gone to other places many times. Do I have to suppress my desire for Mexican food forever because my partner does not enjoy it? Am I never able to experience Mexican cuisine because someone else is not willing to go?

Does that not precipitate into thoughts of being narrow minded about Mexican food? That a person is unwilling to expand their horizons?

I think the issue I am having is the potential for resentment is there regardless. It all depends on perspective and intensity of attachment. Some people feel hard done by if they have to deviate from their intended objective. Someone who is not attached or have the intense focus on the intended objective don't really care, and are perceived to be flexible. I suppose it depends on the personality of the individual.

Me 58 BS

K
K
The key to understanding the POJA is that it is not a loss, but a gain. It is not a loss to find a better option. If I find a better home than I live in now, I do not feel "loss", I feel GAIN.
I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but one more comment.

I live in a town where there are 6 restaurants (I really do!), and I like eating at all of them. My wife likes all but one of them. I'm more than happy to limit our restaurant choices to the 5 she likes because I wouldn't be happy eating at the one restaurant she doesn't like. By POJA'ing restaurants, I have 5 choices instead of the 6 I'd have if I went out to eat by myself. It doesn't feel like a loss because I want us both to be happy, but the fact is, I eliminate the 6th restaurant from our list of choices whenever we go out to eat. There are times when I wish she would like that 6th restaurant, but I know that when we go out to eat, the best options are the restaurants we both like.

(In case you didn't know, I'm an engineer and sometimes look at things mathematically. smile Since 5 is less than 6, I "lost" a choice, but I agree with you in that it doesn't "feel" like loss.)

F
F
I think where I was struggling is the degree of attachment to the thing or event. Does it really matter to me about the restaurant? What if I have a real desire for Mexican food and we have gone to other places many times. Do I have to suppress my desire for Mexican food forever because my partner does not enjoy it? Am I never able to experience Mexican cuisine because someone else is not willing to go?

Is Mexican food more important to you than you marriage?

Does that not precipitate into thoughts of being narrow minded about Mexican food? That a person is unwilling to expand their horizons?

This is exactly what will happen if you do not go through the process of negotiating an alternative. What you have described here is the natural progression from a demand (implied) to disrespectful judgments (narrow minded, unwilling to expand their horizons). The next step will be an angry outburst!

Someone who is not attached or have the intense focus on the intended objective don't really care, and are perceived to be flexible. I suppose it depends on the personality of the individual.

It depends on your willingness to gain at their expense. smile It's actually in your best interest to maintain a high love bank balance with your spouse.

I think the issue I am having is the potential for resentment is there regardless. It all depends on perspective and intensity of attachment. Some people feel hard done by if they have to deviate from their intended objective.

Effective Marriage Counseling pg 112 - 113

What about Resentment?

One of the most common objections to the POJA is that it creates
resentment when it�s followed. I agree; it does usually create some
resentment. But far more resentment is created when it is not followed.
An illustration will help make this important point.

George is invited to watch football with his friend Sam. He tells
his wife, Sue, that he plans to accept the invitation. Sue objects.

If George goes ahead and watches the game, he�s guilty of independent
behavior. He is not following the POJA, and Sue will be resentful.
When George does something against the wishes of Sue, I call
her resentment type A.

If George follows the POJA and doesn�t accept Sam�s invitation,
George will be resentful. When George is prevented from doing something
because of Sue�s objections, I call his resentment type B.

Which type of resentment makes the largest Love Bank withdrawals:
type A or type B? The answer is type A, and that�s why the POJA
helps build Love Bank balances. I�ll explain.

When George violates the POJA, Sue has no choice but to feel
the effect of the thoughtless decision (Love Bank withdrawals) for
as long as memory persists�possibly for life whenever the event is
recalled. But when George follows the POJA, the negative effect is
limited in time. It lasts only as long as it takes to discover an enjoyable
alternative that is acceptable to Sue.

George lets Sue know how disappointed he is with her objection
but is willing to discuss other options. Sue wasn�t invited to watch
football and doesn�t want to invite herself to Sam�s house, so she
suggests inviting Sam and his wife to their house to watch football.
George calls Sam, he and his wife accept, and the new activity puts
an end to George�s type B resentment.

Type A resentment can last forever, but type B resentment stops
the moment a mutually enjoyable alternative is discovered. Those
with poor negotiating skills may have trouble seeing the difference
because they have not learned how to resolve conflicts. They may
feel resentment about a host of issues that have been unresolved in
their marriage. But after you teach a couple to negotiate successfully,
unresolved issues are minimized. Then it becomes clear to
them that the POJA helps build Love Bank balances by eliminating
type A resentment.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 07/08/14 02:52 PM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
I think the issue I am having is the potential for resentment is there regardless. It all depends on perspective and intensity of attachment. Some people feel hard done by if they have to deviate from their intended objective. Someone who is not attached or have the intense focus on the intended objective don't really care, and are perceived to be flexible. I suppose it depends on the personality of the individual.

This only becomes a problem if the person is unwilling to engage in the POJA. If that is the case then the marriage will never be successful, regardless. The issue will be much greater than choosing restaurants.

Exposure 101

K
K
Hi FightTheFight, thanks for including Melody's post from Effective Marriage Counseling. I like that!

In terms of my previous restaurant scenario, I might resent the fact that we never eat at the 6th restaurant, but that would be type B resentment because the other 5 alternatives are enjoyable for me. Asking my wife to eat at the 6th restaurant would be a type A resentment for her.

Thanks, that helps a lot!!

M
M
(In case you didn't know, I'm an engineer and sometimes look at things mathematically. smile Since 5 is less than 6, I "lost" a choice, but I agree with you in that it doesn't "feel" like loss.)

But you are looking this backwards becuase the person who would feel the loss is the one who was forced to go eat Mexican. If I forced my husband to go eat Mexican, he would not only feel loss, he would feel resentment and we wouldn't enjoy the evening.

For me, I haven't "lost" anything if the mexican restaurant is replaced with a better option. People don't feel "loss" when they end up wiht better choices.

Exposure 101

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 663 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation