Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2815587 08/19/14 04:08 AM
T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello,

I will start by stating that I'm not a victim of infidellity, however one of my family members is.

I've browsed quite a bit on this site and I would loike your thoughs on a matter that I can't really find much info about here.

I know of the term Just Compensation that is used here but that doesn't really cover the things I'm thinking about.

Anyways here is what I'm not getting to terms with:

What is apropriate/OK/good to demand/ask for in regards to recompence or compensation (Not to mix with Just Compensation) from a WS?

The thing is, all(?) BS's struggle a lot with the idea of the WS getting away with their deed. I Think many want "justice". Justice is tightly ingrained in us in every other Life situation. We get justice for other "crimes" done. I also Think this would be very helpfull in removing resentment from the BS.

What is the "Hardy" way of this?

J
J
Well, what is justice?
Under the old Mosaic laws of Israel, the adulteress would be stones to death.
Jesus said to Go and Sin No More.

Just compensation is all that can be done to compensate the betrayed spouse for choosing to remain in the marriage.

M
M
Restoring the marriage IS just compensation! For those of us who have lived through this nightmare, we can certify that fact. Getting to a point where the marriage is better than before, and where I have EPs to give me certainty that nothing like that will happen again does plenty to remove resentment from me. I don't know what you have in mind, but I'd bet that the end result would be more resentment and a marriage that is not better than before.

me-65
wife-61
married for 40 years
DS - 38, autistic, lives at home
DD - 37, married and on her own
DS - 32, still living with us
M
M
Affair proofing and recovering the marriage is just compensation. This process brings the greatest happiness and relief to the betrayed spouse because the end result is a passionate, happy marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I understand that "just compensation" in the end might give a healthy M.

However, to me there is no justice in that. Given that the average time to get through an event such as this is 2-5 years it is a lot of "sh*t" to swallow for the Bs before you reach a good M again.

Wouldn't it be helpful during this process to have the WS to compensate you in some, for the Most, undestructible way?

Compensation could be a lot of different things like:
Housework
Free time
Dates with the WS on the WS expense
expense
Etc...

J
J
Tom,

Have you read Dr. Harley's books?

M
M
Originally Posted by TOMTEN

However, to me there is no justice in that. Given that the average time to get through an event such as this is 2-5 years it is a lot of "sh*t" to swallow for the Bs before you reach a good M again.

Wouldn't it be helpful during this process to have the WS to compensate you in some, for the Most, undestructible way?

Housework
Free time
expense
Etc...

Most of that is part of just compensation, i.e.: free time, dates. And since the WS' :money" is marriage money, the money comes out of the marital bank account. As far as doing "housework" that is subject to the POJA. Forcing a spouse to do housework as punishment does not achieve a happy marriage. And it is benefits the BS to have a happy marriage.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
However, to me there is no justice in that.

Says who? Why don't you ask the people who are in fully recovered, happy marriages what they think?

Exposure 101

B
B

Housework
Free time
expense
Etc...
I think you may be talking about causing resentment when you force a spouse to "do housework" as punishment for their affair.

Have you read this and listened to the clips?
Resentment Type A and B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M

Nobody says that the betrayed spouse has to choose recovery. Dr. Harley and for the most part all of us here will be the first to say that that's a personal decision. If it does not seem just to you, don't recover.

Housework
Free time
expense
Etc...

This sounds more like punishment than recovery, and punishment leads to the opposite of a happy marriage.

I'm particularly concerned with that "on the WS expense" phrase. In a happy, healthy marriage, husband and wife typically have their funds integrated - so the husband's expense and the wife's expense are the same. Trying to live with separate bank accounts is a good way to avoid the oneness and closeness and integration that is crucial for a good marriage.

Again, if you don't want to be one and close and integrated with your WS, then don't try to follow this plan. The Marriage Builders plan for recovery from an affair is for those who want to put the marriage back the way it should have always been.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
I think you may be talking about causing resentment when you force a spouse to "do housework" as punishment for their affair.

Plus, I mean - wow, isn't that really trivial compensation for the worst trauma one human being can inflict on another.

Husbands and wives certainly provide lots of services to each other, big and small. But if one of the first ones you think about is housework, you are probably not very much in love with your spouse and probably need to either separate for your health and wellbeing or change priorities so you can follow a plan that will recover your marriage.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
No I haven't. Since I wasn't the BS or the WS I haven't done that.

I have however read most of the information on this site and I have read a lot of threads in this forum as well as on other forums.

T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes most have a marital bank account. However, many also have a certain amount for each spouse to do with as they want wether that is buying clothes, going to a cafe with friends etc.

It was that money I thought about. Obviously if you don't have your own spending money that wouldn't work.

Of cause you don't want a resentfull WS but the thing is that you already have a resentfull BS and wouldn't it be a good idea to do anything to lessen that?

T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Obviously if you are fully recovered you have moved passed this problem.

But do people fully recover?

Wont the A always be there still causing at least some angst?

That doesn't meen that you can't have a very good M and be happy anyways or am I wrong about that?

Look at it from another angle. We are all deeply ingrained that if you commit a crime and get caught you get punished. We expect and want that to happen if we are the victim. Would we be equally fine without that justice if the criminal worked on him/her self with the victim so that the criminal would hopefully not do that again and at the same time become your closest friend?

B
B
Obviously if you are fully recovered you have moved passed this problem.

But do people fully recover?

Wont the A always be there still causing at least some angst?

That doesn't meen that you can't have a very good M and be happy anyways or am I wrong about that?

Look at it from another angle. We are all deeply ingrained that if you commit a crime and get caught you get punished. We expect and want that to happen if we are the victim. Would we be equally fine without that justice if the criminal worked on him/her self with the victim so that the criminal would hopefully not do that again and at the same time become your closest friend?
Yes you fully recover especially when you follow the MB plans. Many of us have way better marriages then we've ever had.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

W
W
TOM,
I agree, it doesn't seem fair. But think about this. Many wayward spouses never take ownership for the adultery. They say, "I had no choice. I did it because my spouse was neglecting me."

Do you think they are going to stick around to take their punisment?

Did WWI War reparations prevent another war? No they were an indirect cause for WWII.

There are many reasons, but no excuses for infidelity. And inorder to survive an affair, the marriage has to be better than what it was before the affair.

Yes both spouses need to examine what they both did to lead to the affair.

Of cause you don't want a resentfull WS but the thing is that you already have a resentfull BS and wouldn't it be a good idea to do anything to lessen that?

You raise a great point and Just Compensation is designed to lessen pain and make the betrayed spouse feel safe.

T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Yes I have read that and to me I interpret it as this:

The A causes Type A resentment.

Compensation/Recompence might cause Type B resentment but it is not sure it will.

T
TOMTEN Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I'm not saying that you can't have a better/great M.

But can you honestly say that you being a BW never experience negative things because of your WH's A? Never anymore? Never a touch of stress because he has to travel for work or something?

B
B
Yes I have read that and to me I interpret it as this:

The A causes Type A resentment.

Compensation/Recompence might cause Type B resentment but it is not sure it will.
Did you listen to the clips at the end of the thread?
Resentment Type A and Type B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

J
J
I'm not saying that you can't have a better/great M.

But can you honestly say that you being a BW never experience negative things because of your WH's A? Never anymore? Never a touch of stress because he has to travel for work or something?

Tom,

If the program in Surviving an Affair is followed then the conditions which make the affair possible, such as overnight traveling is eliminated.

There are no nights apart in an MB marriage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 894 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation