Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
MtnMan #2826104 10/28/14 06:11 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by MtnMan
When I try to explain my frustration or anxiety to her, she says I am using anger as an excuse when I see it as trying to open up to her.

I don't understand this - what are you saying that she believes is "using anger as an excuse" and you believe is "opening up to her"?

When you are feeling frustrated, you need to relax - not vent to her about the frustration.

I also recently had to define a boundary with her about texting. The number of text messages had become completely overwhelming for me and I told her that I couldn't text about important topics. This pissed her off in a major way but I couldn't do the 200+ texts per day anymore. frown I believe important topics should be talked about in person or on the phone, and not left to text and email. I tried to tell her respectfully that I would prefer to not text about important topics and would rather talk in person or on the phone. She says I'm not safe and by rejecting texting, it just shows her that I will never "man up" to what she needs. Maybe I am wrong in defining this boundary, but it was getting out of control and I had to stop it.

Oh no - I think this is a very bad idea. frown I had the same belief as you early in my marriage, and I'm convinced by my experience and by Dr. Harley's advice that taking our conflict discussions to text, writing, or email was a GREAT idea. You are really being disrespectful to your wife by trying to tell her that your way is best here and disregarding her wishes. PLUS you are throwing away a GREAT opportunity to make love bank deposits!!! She is being disrespectful by using phrases like "man up," but I would not let that stop you from taking advantage of this great opportunity to communicate with your wife.

My wife and I text all the time now and it is beautiful. She's with our girls at ballet class right now and is pinging me instant messages right now as I read this.

DO be aware that when you are frustrated you should not be texting your wife - you should wait until you are relaxed. Don't have a fight with your wife over text!!!

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2826105 10/28/14 06:13 PM
M
M
Dr. Harley often tells couples to try to discuss their conflicts in writing. I would suggest you try to discuss them in an email or letter rather than a text because you can be more expressive and because people typically take more time to think about what they are saying in an email than they do for a text. And you need to do that if you are to learn to resolve conflicts with your wife.

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
markos #2826106 10/28/14 06:14 PM
M
M
Wait, why is this thread in divorcing? You don't want to divorce - get back in the other sections so you can get the attention you need to try to save your marriage.

You don't need to start new threads all the time - it will help people help you if you just stick to one thread so they can see your history all in one place.

markos #2826107 10/28/14 06:15 PM
M
M
It's been 15 days since your last post - have you listened to every Marriage Builders Radio show since then?

markos #2826115 10/28/14 07:03 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by markos
Oh no - I think this is a very bad idea. frown I had the same belief as you early in my marriage, and I'm convinced by my experience and by Dr. Harley's advice that taking our conflict discussions to text, writing, or email was a GREAT idea. You are really being disrespectful to your wife by trying to tell her that your way is best here and disregarding her wishes. PLUS you are throwing away a GREAT opportunity to make love bank deposits!!! She is being disrespectful by using phrases like "man up," but I would not let that stop you from taking advantage of this great opportunity to communicate with your wife.

My wife and I text all the time now and it is beautiful. She's with our girls at ballet class right now and is pinging me instant messages right now as I read this.

DO be aware that when you are frustrated you should not be texting your wife - you should wait until you are relaxed. Don't have a fight with your wife over text!!!

Markos, in general, I have no problem with texting especially with pleasant things like ballet. HOwever, when it is an emotional topic and she is blasting text messages every couple seconds, I can't keep up to respond. Then, it pisses her off that I'm not responding quick enough and it is frustrating all around. Plus, I feel like things get completely mis-interpretted over text message.

Dr Harley and Joyce just commented the other day on MB Radio about texting and how it wasn't a good idea for discussing or resolving conflict. Maybe it was for that specific scenario, but I agree in general.

I hate to close down a line of communication, obviuosly I realize that's a bad idea in my situation. However, it was just getting to be too much. Maybe I was wrong... :-/

MtnMan #2826116 10/28/14 07:04 PM
M
M
[ tried to tell her respectfully that I would prefer to not text about important topics and would rather talk in person or on the phone. She says I'm not safe and by rejecting texting, it just shows her that I will never "man up" to what she needs. Maybe I am wrong in defining this boundary, but it was getting out of control and I had to stop it.

Dr Harley has a brilliant solution for marriages that are experiencing fighting and anger: communicate through email. I had never tried that until recently and my H and I had some amazing results discussing an emotional topic over email. We first agreed we would not fight. [very important!] And then we communicated the issue via email. When you do that, the environment is much less emotional and it is so much easier to solve problems.

She calls me a "monster" and it frustrates me.

I want to also add that she is not entitled to abuse you. The conversation should end it becomes abusive.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

markos #2826117 10/28/14 07:05 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
It's been 15 days since your last post - have you listened to every Marriage Builders Radio show since then?

Yes, I listen every day.

markos #2826120 10/28/14 07:11 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Wait, why is this thread in divorcing? You don't want to divorce - get back in the other sections so you can get the attention you need to try to save your marriage.

You don't need to start new threads all the time - it will help people help you if you just stick to one thread so they can see your history all in one place.

I put it in divorcing because W said she is in "Plan D". Thought I might get some advice over here given it has escalated to that point. frown

M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Dr Harley has a brilliant solution for marriages that are experiencing fighting and anger: communicate through email. I had never tried that until recently and my H and I had some amazing results discussing an emotional topic over email. We first agreed we would not fight. [very important!] And then we communicated the issue via email. When you do that, the environment is much less emotional and it is so much easier to solve problems.

I will try email based on what you and markos are saying. My question is: where do I start with the emails? I have sent apology emails and "I'm changing" emails, but she told me not to send them. I also shared how the separation was impacting me (physically, emotionally, etc) in an email to her and she said it was an attempt to guilt her and get sympathy. I won't do that again.

So my question is: what do I email?

M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
markos is right, I should have come back here. W is in "Plan D" and I started this other thread, but I don't want a divorce.

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2826085#Post2826085

If possible, I'd like continue discussion from other thread here...

MtnMan #2826124 10/28/14 07:44 PM
M
M

I will try email based on what you and markos are saying. My question is: where do I start with the emails? I have sent apology emails and "I'm changing" emails, but she told me not to send them. I also shared how the separation was impacting me (physically, emotionally, etc) in an email to her and she said it was an attempt to guilt her and get sympathy. I won't do that again.

So my question is: what do I email?

When she sends you a text about a problem, tell her you will send her an email. Then, take a little bit of time to compose a nice email to her about it. Focus on not saying anything that she might find demanding, disrespectful, or angry, and then focus on completely understanding her point of view about the problem.

MtnMan #2826125 10/28/14 07:45 PM
M
M

Yes, I listen every day.

GOOD!

M
M
[ tried to tell her respectfully that I would prefer to not text about important topics and would rather talk in person or on the phone. She says I'm not safe and by rejecting texting, it just shows her that I will never "man up" to what she needs. Maybe I am wrong in defining this boundary, but it was getting out of control and I had to stop it.

She calls me a "monster" and it frustrates me.

I want to also add that she is not entitled to abuse you. The conversation should end it becomes abusive.

Yep. Just back away from such conversations till she calms down. Calm back with some ideas how to solve the problem that you think she would be enthusiastic about and that you know you would be enthusiastic about.

MtnMan #2826127 10/28/14 07:52 PM
M
M
Dr Harley and Joyce just commented the other day on MB Radio about texting and how it wasn't a good idea for discussing or resolving conflict. Maybe it was for that specific scenario, but I agree in general.

If it's the only way your wife feels safe with you, then she's not going to be happy about you enlightening her with your superior perspective that she shouldn't be communicating with this medium. Instead she's going to feel like you are shutting the only door she has.

I agree texts over conflicts is not the best - Prisca and I tend to move to email for anything more emotional. But insisting on in person or over the phone instead of written communication about emotional conflicts is practically guaranteed to make the problem worse. Written communication is much, much better.

Some people have a natural advantage over others in in-person communication. Your wife may feel that she is at a major disadvantage when she discusses a conflict with you in person or over the phone - she may communicate much better in written form. And the reason you may feel that people "should" communicate about such things in person may actually be because it feels so much better for you since you have an advantage.

I have witnessed a LOT of people lecture my wife Prisca about discussing conflicts in person. She has had family members and friends say truly nasty things to her about how she should "face them" or how she's a bad person for wanting to discuss things by email. But she's at a MAJOR disadvantage in spoken communication. She's much quieter, and people talk right over her, and that's the real reason they want to corner her so they can win a fight over a conflict. I'm grateful that Dr. Harley helped me escape from being one of those jerks who was doing this to her.

If your wife is sending you a verbal barrage of abuse via text, you don't have to listen to it. Shut it off for awhile. Take a break from the conversation until she calms down. She won't like that, but it's necessary in order to make sure that the two of you don't fight.

markos #2826128 10/28/14 07:53 PM
M
M
When I try to explain my frustration or anxiety to her, she says I am using anger as an excuse when I see it as trying to open up to her.

I don't understand this - what are you saying that she believes is "using anger as an excuse" and you believe is "opening up to her"?

When you are feeling frustrated, you need to relax - not vent to her about the frustration.

Didn't see an answer to this question.

Administrator
Administrator
Threads merged.

ToujoursMB@gmail.com
markos #2826138 10/28/14 08:49 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M
When she sends you a text about a problem, tell her you will send her an email. Then, take a little bit of time to compose a nice email to her about it. Focus on not saying anything that she might find demanding, disrespectful, or angry, and then focus on completely understanding her point of view about the problem.

Thanks for the advice. I am really bad at being nice to my W in all forms of communication. In person, on phone, on text and on email, so this is a very good reminder. I am quite the opposite and I realize now that is one of the reasons she doesn't feel safe in addition to my anger. I am disrespectful, demanding, controlling and I interrupt a lot in person. In addition to anger, I know I need to work on all this "disrespect" too.

MtnMan #2826143 10/28/14 09:11 PM
J
J
I also recently had to define a boundary with her about texting. The number of text messages had become completely overwhelming for me and I told her that I couldn't text about important topics. This pissed her off in a major way but I couldn't do the 200+ texts per day anymore. frown I believe important topics should be talked about in person or on the phone, and not left to text and email. I tried to tell her respectfully that I would prefer to not text about important topics and would rather talk in person or on the phone. She says I'm not safe and by rejecting texting, it just shows her that I will never "man up" to what she needs. Maybe I am wrong in defining this boundary, but it was getting out of control and I had to stop it.

Good grief!
200 texts a day?
I had an employee years ago, and noticed his company phone was constantly beeping. I looked at the cell records and he was getting non-stop text messages from his wife!
I don't know how people can function with their phone constantly beeping.

markos #2826153 10/28/14 09:19 PM
M
MtnMan Offline OP
OP Offline
M

For example, when she has a complaint and I feel frustrated or upset about it, then I try to explain how frustrated I feel and it turns into disrespect on my part (I interrupt her, I walk out of the room, etc). Then, I try to backpedal out of the disrespect by explaining to her how my frustration and disrespect all comes back to my unresolved anger management problem and that I'm trying to open up to her about my feelings. She says I'm using my anger management problem as an excuse in these situations to continue to abuse her. She thinks I should just "choose not to be angry" and "just stop". I agree with her and ideally I would choose to just stop, but there are times when I get frustrated, anxious, mad, nervous, etc and I think she should know about it. One thing I am learning is that I am a classic "stuff it" and forget about it person. It's not ok because it causes my frustration to build into all out rage over time. I am trying not to stuff my emotions when they are small and "walk away" (take a time out to relax) when they are getting too big. The end goal is to NOT stuff my feelings and express them in a respectful way. This is my current struggle. how do I address a conflict with respect and not let my anger make me stupid and disrespectful?

Also, when she recently claims that I have done nothing to save this marriage for the last 4 weeks, I demand that I have done something with anger management. I try to control her into thinking I have done something. I make the logical argument that I'm taking actions but I think I realized today that I've been wrong. I think she is talking about the fact that I have done nothing to heal her wounds and take care of her emotions.

After going through this anger program, I know that my anger goes way deeper than I ever realized and I have nobody to blame. I am responsible for it. It is a major struggle for me to overcome and yes I am dedicating a lot of energy toward stopping it. I use it as an excuse for taking away my attention from her since it is a huge challenge for me. I think I need to somehow find the balance with resolving my challenge (anger/disrespect) while taking care of her. Am I right? How can I do it?

MtnMan #2826519 10/30/14 10:06 PM
A
A
Wow, MtMan, I really feel for you. I am not going to repeat everything that has already been posted here, but a couple of points:

(1) I really admire how strong you are and how dedicated you are to your wife and family. A lot of guys would throw her out a long time ago.

(2) It appears that the two of you have a very difficult time communicating. I've read dozens of her posts, and although her hurt sounds genuine, I was not too clear why she was upset with you. You've provided her with roof over her head, financial support, you are a good father to your kids. It sounds like she has a pretty sweet deal, yet she feels incredibly hurt.

(3) To solve that problem plenty of communication with her seem in order. We've found that's actually one of the benefits of the undivided attention -- my wife and I have plenty of time to discuss and go through any of our problems. Texts and e-mails are faster and more to the point, but to really understand what the spouse wants, spending time with her is tremendously helpful to us.

Me: 50. W: 50. Happily married since 1993. 3 kids.
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation