Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Remark
OK, I agree. That makes a lot of sense.

How do I stop being defensive? I have done research on it, I've studied it. I've watched youtube videos on how to avoid it. Still, when I am questioned or complained to, I get defensive?

I would focus on keeping your mouth shut until you are totally calm. Don't respond until you have had a chance to get us or Dr. Harley to help you understand your wife's point of view. Focus on understanding her point of view BEFORE you try to give her your point of view.

Be quick to listen and slow to speak:
http://biblehub.com/james/1-19.htm

Yes, I had prematurely responded at calm, I believe.

Good advice.

Anxious to talk with Dr H on Tuesday. I hope he suggests more like this AND I WILL PUT INTO PROACTIVE DAILY.

M
M
It's a love buster for me to say trigger words like "I try", for example.

I can imagine how painful it is to her to hear "I try." You've been here two years and "tried," yet no progress has been made. And when she hears "I try," she has no reason whatsoever to feel optimistic that anything is ever going to change.

For all your research, you still talk like you are totally controlled by instincts and habits and emotions - like you must do whatever comes to mind and can't help yourself.

It reminds me of when I said I was "working on" my habit of angry outbursts. I've learned that "working on it" was basically code for "doing nothing." I imagine she feels exactly the same way about "I try."

Your wife is in extreme, excruciating emotional pain, and you have put her there. She is basically in that pain ALL THE TIME. I would bear that in mind each and every time you open your mouth to speak to her. You simply have to think about everything you are going to say before you say it.

When is the last time you said "I try" to her? Can you stop saying it? Will you post here each and every time you say it, so we can try to help hold you accountable? I would build up a list over time of each and every thing you say that she finds disrespectful, and follow this same procedure for each of them. If she will help you build that list, then great - if not, you can still figure it out and build it over time, and we can help if you will let us know each time a conversation goes south.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Yes, I had prematurely responded at calm, I believe.

See - stop being so quick to speak, start being slower to speak and quicker to listen. You will get a lot more value out of our advice - and you can get a lot more value out of what your wife tells you if will do the same with her.

I suspect you do this to her a lot. If she is like my wife she has trouble getting her sentences started, and then if you jump in when she is barely started, she never has the chance to get around to saying what she wants to say.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, I understand how painful it is to her. It's profound how you empathized with that pain.

Last time I said it, was today, I'm sure. No, I have not been able to stop saying it to date. Can I? With God's help, I will.

Yes, it does come instinctively almost before I can stop ift from going out of my mouth.

Yes, I will post it whenever I say it.

M
M
If you cannot make yourself stop saying "I try" immediately, I would suggest that you get professional help.

Let's see what Dr. Harley says Tuesday. I'm glad to hear you are going to be speaking to him. I'd strongly suggest mentioning this.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yes, I WILL be mentioning.
Thank you for your help.
Ashamedly, Remark

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Markos,
What do you mean by "professional help"? Do you mean more than Dr Harley and/or whatever MB program (either coaching or accountability) or something else?
Thanks

M
M
Markos,
What do you mean by "professional help"? Do you mean more than Dr Harley and/or whatever MB program (either coaching or accountability) or something else?
Thanks

I mean Dr. Harley and his program. I really do think you need to get to the point where the answer to "Can you stop such and such?" is "YES." It is possible Dr. Harley might refer you to something more specialized (he did for me for anger management), but I wouldn't think so for this.

What I am trying to say is that if you really feel that you cannot stop saying "I try," when you know that it bothers your wife, you need to get a professional involved in helping you break that habit. We need to get you much more skilled and educated in the process of habit formation, because habit formation is what Marriage Builders is all about. It seems that you have done a lot of reading and research, but you need to get some practical experience, ASAP.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I totally agree and that is what I thought you meant. I am looking forward to hearing what Dr H says tomorrow. And, I will honor and do WHATEVER Dr H says.

P.S. I just made it through a conversation without saying "I'm trying".

When asked what I mean when I say "I'm all in", I said I'd do whatever program Dr H suggests of his own (MB) or otherwise.

I think you and I are the same age, right? Am I indicating anything to you that sounds contrary?

Thanks,
Remark

M
M
I totally agree and that is what I thought you meant. I am looking forward to hearing what Dr H says tomorrow. And, I will honor and do WHATEVER Dr H says.

We'll be listening along and will help hold you accountable to it - one of the great things this forum does is help reinforce Dr. Harley's suggestions.

I think you and I are the same age, right? Am I indicating anything to you that sounds contrary?

I'm not sure - people tend to make radically different assumptions about my age online. But I would bet anything we are both in a similar profession.

M
M
P.S. I just made it through a conversation without saying "I'm trying".

Great - this is progress! Do your utmost to make today the last day you ever said this.

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sorry, I meant same page. We're in agreement, right?

And, thanks for the accountability. That is what I need, I believe.

M
M
Sorry, I meant same page. We're in agreement, right?

And, thanks for the accountability. That is what I need, I believe.

Yep - that's what we are here for!

M
M
Originally Posted by markos
I get all of the above though I never considered church an unsafe place! I considered it a safe place, as compared to bars or meet-up groups, etc.

Statistically church is just as dangerous.

Even more so for those who have previously had an affair.

M
M
I generally don't have angry outbursts.

Your wife detailed an angry outburst on the radio show today. She pointed out when you were engaging in behavior she finds disrespectful (saying "I'm trying"). This was valuable feedback from her that you need to encourage. Your response was to flip her off with both hands.

That's an angry outburst.

So I'm going to ask you - can you stop that, totally? If your answer is "no," I'm going to say you really, really need to go through anger management therapy. There is all kinds of anger management information available here on this site. Threads, devices you ought to buy, procedures you need to follow.

The answer needs to not be "I generally don't have angry outbursts." Angry outbursts need to be eliminated. Your wife ought to separate from you if you can't stop these, right?

Incidentally, I noticed that when Dr. Harley asked if you had any issues with impulse control, you turned things around in your answer to be answering about you and your wife. What's the deal with that? Can you isolate your own faults without having to bring your wife's into it?

M
M
And as for your response to these things - don't spend a lot of words telling how ashamed you are. I heard you do this several times on the radio show.

Look, a bunch of us have done this kind of stuff. I spent three weeks in a Super 8 motel in 2012 because Prisca wouldn't let me live with her any more if I continued to have angry outbursts.

A bunch of us make the mistake of trying to really verbally emphasize how sorry we are. Unfortunately that usually covers up for not actually doing anything. So don't post a bunch about how ashamed or sorry you are - let's talk about following the program to end this kind of stuff.

M
M
Friends and enemies of good conversation:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5056_qa.html
And also His Needs, Her Needs, 2010 edition, chapter 4, intimate conversation:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
The Fourth Friend of Good Conversation is giving each other undivided attention. Some people feel that they can do several things at once, so while talking to their spouse, they try to do something else, too. But you can't have an intimate conversation when you divide your attention. It leaves your wife feeling that she is not important enough for your full attention, or that other tasks are more important than she is.

If you find it difficult to talk to your spouse with your undivided attention, it could be that you have allowed competing activities (like television) to ruin your opportunity to deposit love units. There's nothing quite as frustrating as trying to talk to a spouse whose mind is somewhere else.

Originally Posted by HNHN, p.82
Friend #4: Giving Each Other Undivided Attention

One of the quickest ways for a husband to infuriate his wife is to carry on a conversation with her while watching football.

But that said, undivided attention will probably require practice, especially by men. A man should look into his wife's eyes while they are talking to each other - a sure indicator that he is giving her his attention.

M
M
Okay, Dr. Harley would like an email from you every day reporting on your attempts to give her undivided attention. We're going to hold you to that. smile

M
M
BTW, don't try to educate your wife - it's disrespectful. Don't even try to educate her about Marriage Builders. Remember, you need to avoid love bank withdrawals at all costs.

Stick to:
"I'd like it if you ..." (she can say no)
or:
"It bothers me when you ..." (follow this up quickly by moving to another subject so it's clear that you aren't demanding she do something about it)

R
Remark Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I will e-mail Dr H first thing everyday. Set up as a reminder in my Outlook for the next 10 days ( given the holiday. )
You heard yourself referenced, too, Markos, aka 'responder'.

Page 8 of 74 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 73 74

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 731 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation