Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by black_raven
So he is a wimp? Sorry but he didn't have to be invited to go see his children's games. If he wanted to be there, he would have been there. This sounds lame to me.

No, to other games, like an MLB game or such.

she would make plans to go with the kids, and if he found out about it and want to come along as well, she would not have a ticket for him and tell him (in front of the kids) that she and the kids didn't want him along.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/11/14 04:02 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
B
B
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
So he is a wimp? Sorry but he didn't have to be invited to go see his children's games. If he wanted to be there, he would have been there. This sounds lame to me.

No, to other games, like an MLB game or such.

If his children knew this (or he didn't speak up) then why would they not want have a relationship with him? I have to head out but this still seems odd.

Last edited by black_raven; 12/11/14 04:03 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
S
OP Offline
S
It just seems to me that they had been poisoned against him.

His xW was also poisoning his family against him until they all caught on to it.

As I mentioned earlier, though, I hope to meet his daughter soon and can get a sense of it then.

Last edited by Sunnytimes; 12/11/14 04:08 PM.

Are you living in a covenant with death? With bitterness in your marriage? Read Isaiah 28. The bed will not be long enough or the covers wide enough for you to ever find comfort in that life. In Isaiah 28, God tells you to take a stick and beat these conditions out of your life.

Isaiah 28:29 "This [command] also cometh forth from the Lord of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working."
B
B
It just seems to me that they had been poisoned against him.

His xW was also poisoning his family against him until they all caught on to it.

As I mentioned earlier, though, I hope to meet his daughter soon and can get a sense of it then.
So he has one minor child at home with his XW?

What about the older children? They still won't have a relationship with him? Not even through text or email? They aren't living with their mom, correct?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

I
I

Have his family told you about this?

I have a former BW friend whose ex is with a new partner. She sees her ex working to all the same patterns with this new girl, but says nothing. Neither do his family.

However her daughters have heard them discussing how my friend has 'poisoned' them.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth. She never exposed initially (long time ago) and because children tend to blame themselves when that happens, the eldest is very clingy with the dad who left in confusing circumstances. The littlest one is very normal with him.

I have two other friends, both adults with wayward mothers. Both mothers repeatedly told them growing up that their fathers were violent. One knew about the affair and did not credit it. The other did not, was confused, but was never able to see any violence in his father.

It's fairly difficult to poison a child's mind against its parent. Oh it can happen. I just think it is claimed far more often than it really happens.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

D
D
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Also, call and speak with his ex wife

I have given that some thought.

Would speaking with his MC or their pastor (who agreed that he had to get out of the marriage) be as valid?

Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight
Also, call and speak with his ex wife

If you think about the history of your own past marriage, would ex's future fiance would be better off getting the history from you, or from a 3rd party?

Dr. Harley discussed this on MBR, and said something like: The point in calling the ex-wife herself is to SEEK OUT the opposing view and look at the picture intelligently. Of course she will have a bone to pick with your husband, but there will still be truth in her perspective. This would be an opportunity to measure what he says against what she tells you directly. It is also an opportunity to see how he handles the concept of trust being built through verification.

V
V
I think you should slow down a bit but I know that it's not so easy... I'm not sure what should you do...

"Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife."
:-)
Franz Schubert
A
A
I don't have any advice but the topic of going to the ex for an evaluation is fascinating to me.

For us BSes I'd think someone going to the fogged out wayward ex would yield accusations of being "controlling" or "manipulative" since this is the wayward script. And I could easily see where the family of the wayward would accuse the BS of trying to "poison" them against the WS simply for having exposed them to the truth, which they chose to ignore.

I'll admit, it's a little scary to me. My WW gave me a laundry list of complaints the day she asked to separate, most of which she'd never communicated to me or even had communicated the opposite to me in the past. I have no idea what she'd say to someone else about me, truly. Any of her ex boyfriends before we met were basically persona non grata to her, scum of the earth if you heard her side of it. I have to think I'm part of that club of terrible people in her mind now.

So I kinda don't get the point of talking to an ex. You could talk to most anyone on either side of the families in my situation, and even any the friends my wife and I had when we were married, and get probably a vastly different take than my wife would offer, simply because of the fog.

I trust Dr. Harley but this is a little hard to understand for me.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
I
I
You would talk to them, but not with the intention of swallowing what they say whole.

You would dismiss most of it, but would keep your eyes/ears peeled for anything that struck you as something you would be able to observe yourself.

I know my ex would have lots of things to say about me and some of them would even be true. I wouldn't be in the slightest concerned about his telling anyone about my temper for example, because it can be seen how I've worked on it.

Last edited by indiegirl; 01/20/15 01:45 PM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

A
A
Originally Posted by indiegirl
I know my ex would have lots of things to say about me and some of them would even be true. I wouldn't be in the slightest concerned about his telling anyone about my temper for example, because it can be seen how I've worked on it.

You know, that's a very good point. I get it now. Even if they are negative, there's the contrast effect. Even a broken clock is right twice a day and I've certainly got things my WW would say that are true and I need to work on.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
N
N
Any how-to kind of advice? This isn't a common thing, and is sure to stir the pot in many cases I would think.

I think my guy and I are serious enough that I would like to talk to his XW. What kinds of things do you ask? "I'm getting serious with your XH, and he's around my kids quite a bit, what should I know going into this?" Do you call, or arrange a meeting? Doesn't this rock the boat, how do you approach it with your partner?

Or do you wait until like you're engaged or something?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
L
L
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Any how-to kind of advice? This isn't a common thing, and is sure to stir the pot in many cases I would think.

I think my guy and I are serious enough that I would like to talk to his XW. What kinds of things do you ask? "I'm getting serious with your XH, and he's around my kids quite a bit, what should I know going into this?" Do you call, or arrange a meeting? Doesn't this rock the boat, how do you approach it with your partner?

You do not want to even introduce him to your children until you have passed the 6 month mark and there have been absolutely no red flags.

Too fast is a red flag of itself.

Then it might be time for the 6 month conversation where you both talk about where this relationship might go. Explain that talking to his ex/meeting his children would help you to understand more about him which would be good for you both.

Offer to introduce him to your children/talk to your ex too

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
N
N
LW that makes a ton of sense. One day this stuff will get obvious to me too.

Sunny, where'd you go?

Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
J
J
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay

I would email dr Harley with your question.
I would like to hear his answer.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi NED,

I'm still here. :-) Thanks for checking in!

My relationship with this guy is still going. At this point, I'm seriously considering that he could be "THE" one. I've had a chance to see him react to a number of different challenges/ conflicts, and every time he handles them very beautifully so I fall a little bit more in love with him.

That said, I've set a timeline of not taking the relationship further until July, giving another 6 months before that next conversation.

We compliment each other so well, so completely. Even others are saying we are just mirror versions of each other. Also, I know all of the characteristics of Steubenville that didn't work, and the new guy hits the opposite out of the ball park every time.

I've been able to meet his minor daughter (as advised by MB posters), who is delightful and it is clear that their relationship is well towards being repaired. We have plans for me to meet his other children soon, and that will be telling, also.

In hearing about their marriage, I can pick up that the LB on his side was educating and trying to motivate his xW, who reacted by withdrawing and being even less productive. I've met her and she has vastly less energy, motivation and just general life knowledge than he does so she could very well have been quite intimidated by all of his "educating".

Although, it has been my perception that he was trying so hard not to be obnoxious - just trying to find a solution that would work for both of them in the most refrained way possible. I can see his very careful and thoughtful approach play out in how he deals with other conflicts, so I believe that this will either not be an LB displayed toward me (since I am opposite of her in this regard - high energy, highly competent in many life skills as well as in my career, someone who can always find that last burst of adrenaline to get any job done no matter how impossible, etc.).

If he does try to educate me (no indications of that whatsoever), I'm very self confident and can nicely put a stop to that. In short, I feel we are intellectual equals and I'm not intimidated that he might know more than me in some areas, and I balance that out by knowing more than him in some other areas.

His children prove out his perception of xW and the problems he struggled with in their marriage. Specifically, the one I met lacks the desire to try very hard at anything, and easily quits things. So, when he described how his wife and son are both that way, I can see the truth of that reflecting in his daughter with my own eyes, as well.

So, the short story is that everything he has represented is appearing to be genuine.

I'm still giving it time, and will be back in 6 months with an update and for further advice/confirmation.

However, in the meantime, Steubenville has grown bitterly resentful and has informed me (in front of our youngest child, DS14) that he is going to do take me back to court. He'll be alleging some kind of motherly neglect to either reduce his child support payments or to eliminate my half of custody. He is actively alienating the kids against me, somewhat successfully with DD16 and DD15, by instigating that they give him information about me and by using them as his own personal "your mother was nuts" therapist.

Given that I had no attorney representation (but he did), and that all of the correspondence shows he said what he would pay and my response was always "ok", I think he'd have a hard time telling a judge that our divorce settlement was unfair to him.

B
B
Are you going to be seeing a lawyer?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
He hasn't taken an action yet to which I can respond (in a legal sense).

However, should he do so, I will very fully and forcefully respond. I don't know what he's thinking given that some very serious dirt in his past would throw questions on whether HE would be the best parent.

In a way, I think him taking this will be good for me (as it relates to him) because it will permanently squelch any idea of his that he can exercise any power over me in my life. However, it is not good for the children whatsoever. It will take a long time to repair the damage done with two of my teens (the girls).

I know he is jealous that I have the beautiful dream home we built and he is in a small bi-level. However, my income potential can support it and his can't, so he offered that I should stay in it and he should move. The equity in the house was factored into the balance of what he walked away with (his larger 401(k)s), so he didn't "give" me any breaks to leave me with the house.

He has also run himself into more debt than he can service, buying cars (yes plural) that he didn't need and $20k in furniture as well as much other frivolous spending. He is having to tap into his 401(k) just to meet monthly ends. I am being frugal and am not in a financial bind or cash flow problem. He resents that he is and has scathingly referenced his "premium child support" both to me and to the kids at times, as if because he is paying me "premium child support" he can dictate what goes on in my life and/or home.

He became this very bitter and nasty, alienating person as soon as I started seeing the man discussed in this thread. I honestly did not foresee or expect that he would behave this way.

B
B
Stay on top of documenting anything that he is doing by trying to alienate the children. Those situations can escalate out of control.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

B
B
Thanks for the update, Sunny. Glad that things are going well with your new guy.

And good luck to your exWH if he thinks he can overturn a divorce settlement because he's an idiot. laugh HIs lawyer will likely tell him he is SOL. Until there is anything filed, I would ignore him. Why are you in contact with him? I would fix that pronto especially if he's acting ugly. You don't need to hear his whining or threats. Let him stew.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
B
B
Thanks for the update, Sunny. Glad that things are going well with your new guy.

And good luck to your exWH if he thinks he can overturn a divorce settlement because he's an idiot. laugh HIs lawyer will likely tell him he is SOL. Until there is anything filed, I would ignore him. Why are you in contact with him? I would fix that pronto especially if he's acting ugly. You don't need to hear his whining or threats. Let him stew.
I agree. Why don't you have an IM?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 173 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
peppa, RP4280, Philip Pitre, ClarencePeterson, ColsDawg
71,872 Registered Users
Latest Posts
Spying on Wife's phone without getting caught?
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 08:59 PM
Depression
by ClarencePeterson - 09/22/24 11:19 AM
Separated/Dating
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:58 PM
Child activities
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 08:56 PM
Loss of libido/Sexual Attraction
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:10 AM
Involucrar o no a la familia por apoyo
by ClarencePeterson - 09/21/24 06:09 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,607
Posts2,323,424
Members71,872
Most Online3,185
Jan 27th, 2020
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation