Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
N
It is a tough decision on what to cut off funding for, I know where you are at.
I cut off my exs phone, changed internet providers and cancelled the home phone. I was not going to pay for services to fuel her affair and told her it hurt me greatly for her to do that with our marital funds.
I did loose those snooping opportunities, but with a VAR planted in various places i had more than i needed.

L
OP Offline
L
I hear you. At this point, I want to keep the phone in-place for tracking purposes, since I have cut off many other things. I also use a VAR, but its benefits have been somewhat limited to-date.

B
B
Originally Posted by LongMarriedGuy
I will e-mail Dr. Harley for additional guidance. Do you happen to have his e-mail address that you can share?

Let us know when you hear back from him.

Email your questions to Joyce Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com. When your email question is chosen to be answered on the radio show, you will be notified by email directing you to listen to the rebroadcast. If you would like to consider being a caller, include your telephone number. You will be called by us to explain the procedure to you. Every caller will receive a complementary book by Dr. Harley that addresses their question.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Originally Posted by unwritten
Originally Posted by graceful2b
It appears your wife is cake walking. You are keeping a roof over her head, keeping her in food, clothing, sundries beyond her own means. This OM is providing seeming intimate support and B*&@* S^#!(. Before she gains more momentum, it seems your going to need to indicate she'll need to leave by a certain deadline if she has not ended the affair. You can plan A from afar but you can no longer support her affair. Don't threaten, just do it.

Dr Harley would not suggest a man in Plan A ask his WW to leave the marital home. It is much more difficult to Plan A from afar than it is when you are together. There is sometimes a fine line between supporting the A and Plan A, meaning you do not want to support the affair and do want to have boundaries, but you also want to show amazing care to your wife to 'win her back' and be the better option, and sometimes one can seem like a contradiction to the other. Many posters currently posting here are having to walk this line and can give you great advice on this.

Also, you can email Dr Harley himself and ask about your specific situation and how to proceed.
unwritten is correct.

Here is a good thread about this where Dr. Harley posted on the actually thread.

When Should a Wayward Wife be Asked to Leave

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks. That information is very helpful.

J
J
LMG,
My wife and I survived an affair, and the day I discovered it I gave her a choice of leaving her affair partner or leaving the home. I was not going to be the one leaving the home and have my wife carrying the affair on with my two daughters around.

She decided to leave home. I did not punish her. I simply gave her choices. There was no argument.

Had she thought I was punishing her, it may have indeed hurt my chances of getting her back. But I would not have let that sway me. I made it clear that in spite of her choices I was hopeful we would reconcile, and I continued my Plan A from a distance showing care and avoiding love busters. 18 months and a divorce later her affair crumbled, and she returned home. A soft landing after a long ordeal.

My wife wasn't thrilled that I asked her to leave, but she understood why and I believe that in the final analysis she respected me for setting limits and not enabling her affair.

S
S
Below are Dr Harley's words, taken fro the thread that Brainy linked above, and this is the advice that you should follow concerning asking your wife to leave the home, if you consider yourself to be in Plan A.

You should not follow the advice of posters who did something different, even if it worked for them. As Dr Harley says, they took "risky strategies". His strategy is designed to give you the highest chance that your wife will want to recover with you after the affair ends.

There are indeed different ways to outlast an affair and move into recovery, but this is the Marriage Builders forum and the advice that we should be giving is that that Dr Harley gives. There is lots of other advice available, but it isn't Plan A. Plan A does not involve picking the actions that you can choose to live with, and choosing other actions when you find aspects of Plan A unacceptable. You can either do Plan A properly, or you can stop doing it when you find it too difficult to maintain. Doing it properly gives you the best chance of recovering your marriage when the affair ends. Ending Plan A (for Plan B, for divorce or for your own plan) may well be good for your emotional health, but it increases the odds against your wife choosing to recover with you when the affair ends.

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
Great discussion! Here is my opinion on the subject:

Since most men I've counseled are more emotionally and physically resilient than women to the extreme stress that being the victim of an affair creates, I encourage men to fight for their marriage much longer than I would encourage women. What that means is that they are to try to remain in Plan A as long as possible, avoiding Love Busters, and doing what they can to meet her emotional needs. They do that while still living together.

If the husband gets to a point where he cannot take the stress any longer, and must go into plan B, I encourage him to leave the home rather than kicking her out. This strategy is designed to demonstrate his care for her even under the adverse conditions of her betrayal. Since most affairs die a natural death soon after exposure, when she decides to give her marriage a chance to succeed, she remembers his thoughtfulness at a time that he could have been vengeful.

Granted, everything in a husband would encourage him to do the opposite. He wants to punish her for what she did, and let her stew in her own juices. But upon returning, which commonly happens even when a husband acts with vengeance (affairs almost always die a natural death even when the husband acts like a jerk), she will remember the vengeful acts far into the future, making a full recovery much more difficult.

When an unfaithful wife tells a husband to leave, I encourage him to stay as long as he can tolerate the stress. If she decides to leave on her own, I encourage him to let her go. The issue at hand is about kicking her out versus not kicking her out and I strongly recommend not kicking her out.

There are successful accounts of marriages recovering after a husband kicks his wife out, but my opinion is that it is a very risky move. The affair must go so badly that she returns home because she has no other choice. In most marriages, however, women do have choices. When the affair is over, is she drawn to the husband who cared enough about her to let her stay in her own home, or the husband who threw her out on the street? The idea that by letting her stay in the home he is not acting like a man, and she will disrespect him for it, may be true for some women. But the majority would see it as an act of kindness, something they need in their marriage to a man.

I'd be happy to discuss this issue further with anyone who writes me at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

Best wishes,
Dr. Harley

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
L
OP Offline
L
I'm currently following Plan A as defined by Dr. Harley. I really can't legally ask WW to leave, as we both jointly own the marital home. In addition, WW currently has no where to go, as OM does not currently have a stable residence for the two of them to live in. Still in the land of affair busting..

S
S
I'm currently following Plan A as defined by Dr. Harley. I really can't legally ask WW to leave, as we both jointly own the marital home. In addition, WW currently has no where to go, as OM does not currently have a stable residence for the two of them to live in. Still in the land of affair busting..
With respect, the points I underlined are NOT RELEVANT. It would not make a difference if she did have somewhere to go with OM. (And once married, don't husband and wife always have equal ownership of the marital home? Isn't that the point of legal marriage, that assets are owned in common?)

If she had somewhere to go, and if for some reason you could get a judge to throw her out of a home that you owned on your own before marriage, Dr Harley would STILL not advise you to ask her to leave - not if you want the best chance of recovery after the affair ends. Not if you are following Plan A.

The issue is asking her to leave versus not asking her to leave, and the answer is that you should NOT ask her to leave. It is not an issue of who owns the home or whether she has somewhere else to go. The issue is about taking the measures during Plan A that give you the best chance that she will want to recover with you once the affair ends.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
T
T

Though if WW's OM can not provide shelter for her it can hasten the death of the affair because it shows that the OM can not provide for her. My saying this is not telling you to not follow what Dr H say's but rather when you speak with Dr H when you present this to him he may come up with something different for your case. Though I would not change course without speaking to him first to hear his guidance.

Last edited by TheRoad; 12/31/14 09:42 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by TheRoad

Though if WW's OM can not provide shelter for her it can hasten the death of the affair because it shows that the OM can not provide for her. My saying this is not telling you to not follow what Dr H say's but rather when you speak with Dr H when you present this to him he may come up with something different for your case. Though I would not change course without speaking to him first to hear his guidance.
is there any reason for you to post suggesting that Dr H would have different advice for this poster? He gives very clear advice that a BH is NOT to ask a WW to leave the home if he is in Plan A. Is there something about this particular BH's situation that makes you think that Dr H would make him the exception to this rule?

This thread has taken an unnecessary wrong turn on the issue of asking the WW to leave the the home, all because of one post given from a position that did not take Dr Harley's advice into account:

Originally Posted by graceful2b
It appears your wife is cake walking. You are keeping a roof over her head, keeping her in food, clothing, sundries beyond her own means. This OM is providing seeming intimate support and B*&@* S^#!(. Before she gains more momentum, it seems your going to need to indicate she'll need to leave by a certain deadline if she has not ended the affair. You can plan A from afar but you can no longer support her affair. Don't threaten, just do it.
That advice was WRONG. Dr Harley could not have been clearer than he has been, in the thread that Brainy linked above, and in the radio show that gave rise to the thread, that a Bh should not ask a WW to leave the home. Yet because we have some posters who either did not hear or read that advice, or who do not agree with it, this poster has been advised to tell his wife to leave their home at some point, and is now being encouraged to think that his case might be exceptional.

This is doing the poster a disservice.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
D
Administrator
Administrator
D
A reminder to posters that the purpose of this forum is to help posters understand Dr. Harley principles. It is not a venue to share personal philosophies. I see many personal philosophies being shared here, which has taken this thread completely off track. Please help this poster find solutions that are in line with Marriage Builders or kindly refrain from posting. Thank you.

MBDenali@gmail.com
L
OP Offline
L
For the record, I'm still in Plan A and have no plans to ask WW to leave the marital home. Still working through exposure and trying to maintain decent relations with WW, but also periodically requesting that she end the affair. At this time, OM has a pretty firm emotional hold on the mind and deeds of WW.

B
B
Did you write Dr. Harley?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

T
T
**EDIT**

Last edited by MBSync; 01/01/15 10:31 AM. Reason: TOS - nonMB advice
M
M
Please observed the prior moderator warning. Further distraction from helping this poster will not be tolerated.

MBSync - moderator
mbsync100@gmail.com
J
J
At this point, I'm not sure how long the affair has gone on with this particular person. I suspect a couple of years, but I'm unsure at this point. The OM's background is shady (convicted felon), but it appears that he has found a way to satisfy my wife's most pressing emotional needs. He appears to be a crafty, wayward individual that does not work with my wife, but knew her in her youth. He is unbanked and owns no car or property in his name. It does not appear that he is currently married and was divorced in the past. I have tried to break up the affair by confronting my wife about it several months ago. She called the OM to call it off, but I found that they were continuing to communicate not long after that stunt. I told all of her family members and our kids about her affair in detail, as I have been gathering information about it for some time now. My kids are fully supportive of me and have been warning my wife to wake up and work things out between us, however, she seems headstrong to pursue the relationship with the OM.

My ex wife left her mArriage and children for a felon also.
what was his felony crime?

L
OP Offline
L
Crime was theft. I have not contacted Dr. Harley to-date, but plan to as soon as I can take the time to properly craft my questions and background information.

B
B
Crime was theft. I have not contacted Dr. Harley to-date, but plan to as soon as I can take the time to properly craft my questions and background information.
Please let us know when you hear from him. You can write a short summary and then be a caller where you will talk with Dr. Harley privately before the show and you can fill in any gaps.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

L
OP Offline
L
Through some additional reading here on MB, I noticed a post about Cheaterville. Can someone enlighten me about Cheaterville? Is this another good way to expose the OM? If so, pros and cons?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 594 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation