Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
N
N
I've been following along here and I got a question.......if I were to give the Atkins a go, where would be the place to start? Meaning which book would be the best to get for someone who would be starting at the beginning???

I've put 15 lb's of the 50 I lost on the "Affair Diet" and need to get that in check....... grin

Remember, PA is H's #1 EN....... wink

Not

not2fun #2401823 07/07/10 02:05 PM
S
S
There must be one version of Dr Atkins book in print. There might be several commentaries and versions of it, but there must be one that is the basic diet, written by him.

I bought my book in 2003, which was the first year that I found out about the affair. I found the receipt tucked inside the book when I dug it out this June!

That version of his book is called Dr Atkins's NEW diet revolution. It seems that there was an earlier, original book, so indeed there might be a later one than mine.

In 2003, I took a look at the book, decided that I would just cut down on food a bit, and put it away somewhere. In 2005, I discovered that the affair I thought my H had given up on discovery in 2003, had in fact continued seamlessly for two years. I lost about 28lbs on the spot. (Seriously; I could not get off the toilet. My "fight-or-flight" response kicked in really well. Adrenaline really empties you out quickly!)

I lost about 35lbs in 2005 from simply being to sick at heart to eat. I kept most of that off until 2008 when I visited America!

I dug out my Atkins book this summer because I am overweight again and I cannot stick to a low calorie diet. Atkins is brilliant because it is based on normal foods, minus the simple carbs that most of us use to fill up the plate. I'm glad I started in summer, because I am finding it easy to eat chicken, fish, roasted low GI vegetables and salad leaves in the hot weather, and to drink gallons of fizzy water every day. I put ice in my water if I want to pretend I'm having a cocktail.

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
not2fun #2401916 07/07/10 05:02 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by not2fun
I've been following along here and I got a question.......if I were to give the Atkins a go, where would be the place to start? Meaning which book would be the best to get for someone who would be starting at the beginning???

I've put 15 lb's of the 50 I lost on the "Affair Diet" and need to get that in check....... grin

Remember, PA is H's #1 EN....... wink

Not

Not exactly Atkins, here are a couple books that I really like.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/a-guide-to-flexible-dieting
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

And here's a "diet" you can start to follow until you decide on a book.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_...formance_diet_mass/the_get_shredded_diet

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

B
B
32 lbs in 8 weeks lost on SB diet.l Also a Chol score down to 2.8 from 5.1, BP down to 122/85 from 165/100, complete removal of IBS symptoms, and hypouricaemia symptoms; both a plague upon me since d-day.

Eating good carbs , fats and proteins in proper balance has been my total physical transformation and I only wish I had found this diet years ago.

Lose weight AND be healthier. Its all good !

MB Alumni
C
C
Well I've decided to read those books before I commented anymore on Dr. Robert Haas vs. Dr Atkins diets. But I had to tell you my recipe for marinara. lol.

(ps.) this is NOT recommended by "rocko" my italian friend. who laughs at it.

1 tbls olive oil.
1 clove garlic finely chopped
28 oz. can tomato puree
ground basil to taste.

saute garlic till brown, add tomato puree, heat and season with basil to taste.

kinda boring huh?

I have to read the latest on haas also becuase it seems he is now not suggesting the same as he used to kilted. I was going on what I used in the late 80s and what worked for me then.

I am sure atkins has some information I will be able to use also .

Diabetes, as far as I have learned about it, is the inability of the pancreas to produce insulin at all or the insulin it produces to efectivly integrate with blood glucose to produce energy or be turned to fat in the human body.

The original diabetic diet was high in fats as doctors felt that was what was nesessary for the patients to get and stay healthy.

The term Carbohydrtate as used for a description of what the body cannot tolerate as the description of what diabetes is well, misused.

If it were just the intake of Carbs that caused diabetes, it would have been cured a long time ago.

I will refrain from comparing diets untill i have done all the research you have suggested. I am using what i have experienced, good Sugar control, weight loss, and fat to muscle transformation in my own personal experiance, 20 years ago, as my basis for my claims. Everybody is different, and I am sure there is more to learn.

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
C
C
The major function of insulin is to counter the concerted action of a number of hyperglycemia-generating hormones and to maintain low blood glucose levels.

In addition to its role in regulating glucose metabolism, insulin stimulates lipogenesis, diminishes lipolysis, and increases amino acid transport into cells. Insulin also modulates transcription, altering the cell content of numerous mRNAs. It stimulates growth, DNA synthesis, and cell replication, effects that it holds in common with the insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and relaxin.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_insulin's_functions

This is what I meant when I said that insulin does more than just regulate blood sugar. There is a more detailed explanation out there, but for the sake of dietary info this should be enogh to show that it is a complex set of functions that it provides. Its primary function is blood glucose control, but beyond that there are other factors that can require the use of insulin. Those that cannot be measured on the blood test meter because they work in different ways.

My problem I have been having is that I have a disease that effects my blood, and so I am allways aware of what makes it harder to keep clean. Because of the complex work the insulin I have to inject has to do in me that goes beyond controling my blood glucose, and because the insulin is not proinsulin like the pancreas naturally secretes, (which become insulin when needed), and becomes active when injected, I want to use it as effecietly as possible when its there.

So now onto the work that is laid out before me on how to keep my blood as clean as I can while looking into what fuels burn as efficiently as possible. I have used Fats and protiens as a way to keep my blood sugar stable many times because they release sugar more slowly but I would rather not because of how much they mess with my energy level. I also make sure I take omega-3 salmon oil and other nessesary colesterol. I am just going to be darn careful I don't eat anything that will make it harder for me to live without the complications of diabetes.

You can be sure that at the ripe old age of 27 when I found out I had this disease I read all that i could out there about it because its an early death sentence if you don't tackle it head on. After I learned a little about the damage it does to the kidneys and the small capillarys which cause nerve damage along with major circulatory problems I developed a diet that could keep up with the lifestyle I had. It was my responsibility and I wanted to live a long life. So I took it seriuously.

The information I got from medical journals, dieticians, other diabetics including doctors and professional sports people, put together with what made sense at the time in modern nutrition worked well for me.

It can allways be improved though, and like one Doctor told me when I became a diabetic, "Your family can benifet in thier diet because all the foods you prepare will be better for them" This is a main goal for me still and my children eat better than I did at thier age.
I look forward to reading more and tweaking my diet as I have different needs now at 52.

I like the saying Shirley Mclaine said some years ago.

"You are what you eat, and you become what you think"

Again thank you for the prod in this direction as I work for the best diet possible

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
C
C
Oh guys , I have heard that any sweetners that are more sweet than sugar are triggers that cause you to be more likely to be hungry after you eat them. Its supposed to be true, anyways.

K
OP Offline
K
Day 55 of 60

I'm leaner than I've ever been before. I have endured strict dieting with refeeds only once a week. My carb intake is limited to 3/4 cup mixed berries, small amount of milk for scrambled eggs, and simple sugars directly taken during workout.

In the past 4 weeks I have turned to 1-2 a day hill sprint sessions and 2 sessions per day of treadmill or elliptical machine...once being in a fasted state with only BCAAs on my stomach.

I'm hungry; however, I'm past my protein, carb, and fat intake.

Today I began my water loading and increased sodium intake. I�ll be downing 3 gallons of water a day until Saturday early afternoon. At that point all sodium and water will be cut off save the occasional sip. Sun morning before photos, I�ll take some sugar to fill out the muscle glycogen, an hour before I�ll drink vegetable glycerine to draw whatever water is remaining skin.

And after photos�I�m going to Golden Corral and eat till it hurts at the breakfast buffet.

I had a lot of insights along this journey. I�ll share them someday.

Last edited by kilted_thrower; 08/24/10 09:29 PM.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

T
T
Wow...3 gallons of water. Not to give TMI, but I'd need a catheter!

Not to be nosey...but do you have to use that shiny oil stuff and do all those poses? I had a friend in college who did bodybuilding, and we once went to part of a "meet." It was a very interesting experience. I'm not a big fan of speedos.

Okay, time for another slice of cheescake (kidding!!!!)

W
W
While I'm not even going to pretend to understand any of this, congratulations on your accomplishments. That must take a lot of self-discipline.

I just ate a chicken quesadilla on a sundried tomato tortilla and now I'm going to have a chocolate milkshake for dessert.

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by lurioosi2
Wow...3 gallons of water. Not to give TMI, but I'd need a catheter!

I don't go anywhere where a restroom is not close by.

Not to be nosey...but do you have to use that shiny oil stuff and do all those poses?

lol, no. We took pics at the beginning of this (mainly upper body shots). Then we retake pics on day 60 and submit them. Whomever looks the best from day 1 to day 60 wins.

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

writer1 #2420439 08/24/10 10:06 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by writer1
While I'm not even going to pretend to understand any of this, congratulations on your accomplishments. That must take a lot of self-discipline.

It's been quite a journey. A lot of dedication and a bit of lonliness. My wife has been super supportive of me the entire time.

I just ate a chicken quesadilla on a sundried tomato tortilla and now I'm going to have a chocolate milkshake for dessert.

Ohhhh...I'll have my fair share of sugar on Sunday. The cravings are hard sometimes. My eyes caught a box of Captain Crunch cereal and it looked so dang delicious. Or when my son was eating an oatmeal creme pie yesterday and I had a thought about running over and stealing it from him. smile

Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

W
W
I love peanut butter Captain Crunch!

Me: BS/FWW: 48
BS/WH: 50
DS: 30, 27, 25
DD: 28
OC: 10
BH and I are raising my OC together.
C
C
Hey Kilted grats on your journey, Hope your eyes aren't bigger than your stomach after Sunday, but they probably will be. lol

Can you come on and post about how you feel after you gorge at Golden corral? I would be interested since I have a feeling it will be rather foggy. But hey, you deserve it, you worked hard.

(Pstt...Luri, pass the chessecake)

T
T
I remember being 8 years old and having one of those "dangly teeth." of course, any other child would have ripped it out, hoping for a half dollar under her pillow. I, however, was averse to pain...especially the searing pain that might result from pulling a tooth when even a thread was still intact. So I ate nothing for 3 days.

Finally, in the wee hours of the morning, I accidentally bit the side of my mouth and viola! The tooth was out. The next day I ate pancakes and bacon and eggs and homemade biscuits and......threw up all over the place.

So be careful, kilted. Don't want that breakfast special coming back to greet ya!

You know, I have always said that I am half-bulimic. I binge....but I don't purge smile

I
I
I've been really reading this thread with interest because I could so do with losing weight and getting more energy.

The stress of teaching is kicking me in the pants and I need my energy. I've always been slim in the middle, but now I'm developing some belly fat. I've always been quite low energy in the day time and everybody considers me absent minded so wondering if Atkins would help.

The healthy lunch Melody Lane mentioned though - salad and turkey - I would be so hungry after that! Teaching makes you ravenous.

If I was to try it, where would I start?

Last edited by indiegirl; 03/14/15 08:19 AM.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

L
L
Originally Posted by indiegirl
The healthy lunch Melody Lane mentioned though - salad and turkey - I would be so hungry after that! Teaching makes you ravenous.

Teaching is the hardest (and most rewarding) thing I have ever done. I agree, makes you incredibly hungry because you burn so much physical energy keeping your class engaged. I need tons of carbs with a long slow burn at lunchtime.

If that makes you put on weight, just adjust your evening meal intake.

3 adult children
Divorced - he was a serial adulterer
Now remarried, thank you MB
(formerly lied_to_again)
C
C
I've lost 75 pounds in the last year, and I did it on a low carb diet, at first I found salad and turkey not very filling but after awhile it was, and the health benefits are tremendous, I still have a bit to go, but I am pretty proud of myself.

M
M
Originally Posted by indiegirl
The stress of teaching is kicking me in the pants and I need my energy. I've always been slim in the middle, but now I'm developing some belly fat. I've always been quite low energy in the day time and everybody considers me absent minded so wondering if Atkins would help.

If you add yellow cheese and plenty of full fat blue cheese dressing, you will be full all afternoon. That turkey salad is still one of my favorite lunches. If that doesn't fill you up, add cheese and/or peanuts. Here is a good overview of low carb diets: http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-diet-meal-plan-and-menu/

The best way to increase your energy is to avoid most carbs and eat lots of fat and protein. If you have too many carbs, your blood sugar will spike and then crash. [same thing if you eat too much protein] That is why people tend to get sleepy in the afternoon after big high carb lunches. You can avoid that energy crash and have even, level energy if you eat mostly fat, moderate protein and limited carbs. The only carbs I would ever have for lunch would be green leafy veggies, tomatoes, onions and cukes. [in small amounts] The bulk of my lunch comes from FAT and then secondly protein.

My energy level is the same at 4pm as it is at 8am. IT just stays the same all day. I do start feeling sleepy around 9pm but I do have high energy all day long. I say this as someone who fought poor energy levels in my 20's. Once I eliminated most carbs, that all changed. Level blood sugar usually means level energy levels.

I can help you start a diet, if you want..

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by CanadianMade
I've lost 75 pounds in the last year, and I did it on a low carb diet, at first I found salad and turkey not very filling but after awhile it was, and the health benefits are tremendous, I still have a bit to go, but I am pretty proud of myself.

Congrats!! Believe me, that turkey salad was very filling because I poured on full fat, rich blue cheese dressing and yellow cheese. I didn't even think about food until 6-7.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation