Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
D
Seriously, Stlyn-

I don't want to harp on you, but please please please don't settle!!!! Don't allow for for both of your lives to be passed by when he could learn how to really love, and you could feel cared for either by his changing or by someone else. He will always be there to remind you of what you don't have, if you accept the roommate option.

I understand that you feel like Plan B might be too harsh for the lack of care that you are experiencing. But there has to be a way of sending the message with clarity.

Do Not Settle. YOU are WORTH being CHERISHED.

I
I
Originally Posted by Stlyn
I have talked to him about many things, too much to list. I have let him know that I would rather be alone than to dwell in the situation we are in. I have not only stated the way I feel, but why I feel that way.

I do not wish to criticize or attack him. I don't want to argue or fight either. I don't want to bring up past hurts even though his actions never changed. I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to resolve the conflicts that over periods of years tore down this marriage. I just want to lay them aside and not be concerned about or care for them. It's easier, less confrontational, less all the stress that I had for so long. He doesn't respond to communication so I think it's best to give gim what he's worked for all these years: a wife that leaves him alone! But the day I decided to just leave him alone, I stopped having any loving or affectionate feelings toward him AND stopped pretty much all marital relations. Now we're roommates living in the same house with our kids.

If you are OK with modelling that for your kids than there's little words can do to persuade you otherwise.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
No, I'm not ok with the roommate option: but with him, I really don't desire anything else. If I leave him, it won't be for the hopes of finding someone better. It will be because I feel that staying isn't any more emotionally beneficial than leaving.

M
M
Plan B would only be possible if I wanted this marriage to get better; and wanted to work things out.

It doesn't sound like you understand what Plan B is for.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
It seems that Plan B is for a situation where one spouse is cheating.

A
A
Plan B is separation.

I
I
No, I'm not ok with the roommate option: but with him, I really don't desire anything else. If I leave him, it won't be for the hopes of finding someone better. It will be because I feel that staying isn't any more emotionally beneficial than leaving.

I don't think you understand separation at all. It is a way of insisting on marital care by refusing to countenance neglect.

Of course you wouldn't date. Of course! Separated is still married. Separation is standing up for marriage - not adultery. Separation is just refusing to go along with marriage wrecking behaviour.

No. That is just one type of reason. Wilful neglect would certainly be another.

Last edited by indiegirl; 04/02/15 05:55 PM.

I
I
Originally Posted by Dr Harley
But what about marital separation when an affair is not the issue. In your letter, you did not indicate why you had separated. It may have been for reasons other than infidelity.

In other cases, such as annoying behavior or failure to meet important emotional needs, where thoughtlessness does not reach the level of physical or mental abuse, plan A should be given quite a bit of time and effort before resorting to plan B. Remember, plan A is negotiating (without anger, disrespect or demands) to eliminate the annoying behavior or improve the meeting of emotional needs. A blanket agreement between spouses to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement goes a long way toward eliminating these thoughtless acts, and can also help couples learn to meet each other's needs with enthusiasm. But without that policy, couples often find that they cannot get anywhere with each other through negotiation, and sometimes separation can eventually lead to mutual recognition that they need the Policy of Joint Agreement to help them resolve conflicts.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the risks of separation are great. It should be used only as a last resort to help resolve a fatal flaw in marriage. Once separated, couples often never do reconcile, remaining separated for life, or they eventually divorce. A fact unknown to many is that fifteen to twenty percent of all married couples end their lives permanently separated. These, who are not included in divorce statistics, usually feel that they should not legally divorce for religious reasons. But for most practical purposes, they are as divorced as those legally divorced. Their separation did not create the opportunity for reconciliation, but rather, created an even higher barrier between spouses.

So whenever spouses separate, I usually encourage a plan that moves them toward eventual reconciliation. From your letter, it sounds as if you are moving in that direction, and you simply need to know when it would be the right time to move back together. And you may want to know more about full marital recovery after you have ended your separation.

The four rules to recovery that I recommend after an affair are marital rules that every couple should be following. So they should form the basis for any plan for recovery after a separation. Since the four rules cover every conceivable problem that married couples face, they would address the issue that led to your separation. If you were to follow these four rules as part of your plan for recovery, I guarantee you that you will not only eliminate the problems that led you to separate, but you will also resolve many other conflicts that have prevented you from having a successful marriage.

I encourage you and your husband to make a commitment to follow the Four Rules for a Successful Marriage: Care, Protection, Honesty and Time, and once the commitment is made, end your separation and begin a marriage that will last a lifetime.

S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Separation for me would be the step between our roommate situation to a divorce. NOT a step to a better marriage. I am not going to even pretend that I would do that to wake him up. I haven't wanted him to "wake up" for a long time now. What I'm saying is, I No longer love him or desire to meet his needs so it's certain I don't want that from him!

Last edited by Stlyn; 04/02/15 06:06 PM.
A
A
Styn, this thread is nine pages now and you tend to go in circles. Focus on your goal. You've written dozens of times about how you do not wish to recover - so, logically, plan B (separation) is the next option.

Being housemates for the kids was how I learned to act in my own marriage. It took lots of MB practice to smarten up.

It is a selfish option. People think it is noble to pretend because they don't want to face telling their children that the marriage is bad/over. They would rather teach children that a bad marriage is okay, distorting the children's understanding for their own future. They throw their kids under the bus to avoid being judged the "one who broke it up".

I
I
That's what most people see separation as. It's baffling why people don't do it in good time, instead of purposely waiting until all life is sucked out of them.

So your plan is to stay in a neglectful marriage. Why would you come here for advice on how to do that? By it's very definition, you do nothing.

I
I
What I find most disturbing about the frozen marriage plan is the likelihood of of an affair - and the high likelihood of the children uncovering an affair.

I
I
Separation for me would be the step between our roommate situation to a divorce. NOT a step to a better marriage. I am not going to even pretend that I would do that to wake him up. I haven't wanted him to "wake up" for a long time now. !

As someone who has done Plan B I find this amusing. You don't do Plan B to 'pretend' but to underline reality. It is remaining together for face's sake which is the pretence.

Perhaps you feel entitled to remain for lifestyle and financial reasons. Well, alright. But that's what you've traded a real marriage for then.

J
J
What do you think your husband's reaction to you packing up and leaving would be?
Why haven't you already gone forward with your plan��are you 100% sure?
This is a marriage building site, no one wants to give up on any chance you could have to be happy�..Do you think any of us were happy at rock bottom��.do you think any of us could communicate well or at all with our spouses�.
We all thought the same way as you do, with difficulties we didn't think would ever change either��it takes work, sometimes you have to just try yourself, make him fall in love with you again��..

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
M
M

Plan B is for women who feel like you, to help them feel better.

It is not only for saving the marriage, although it sometimes does that. It is not for waking your spouse up.

And it is not for affair situations. You would know that if you had really read the articles my wife posted. I'm a little bit offended that you lied to us about that.

We could help you so much if you were interested in listening more than talking.

Last edited by markos; 04/02/15 08:46 PM.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
S
Stlyn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I think I've waited and let things go for too long. If I would've did Plan B about 5 yrs ago, maybe I'd be responsive to him if that kind of action prompted him to change. He's had his chance for 23 plus yrs. I've let him know the situation so there.
Separation is no doubt in the very near future; because, no, I'm NOT going to do this forever. Life is too short for that! Also, staying together for as long as I have isn't "pretending" anything to my kids. They live here; and I wouldn't even think it's possibe that they don't see the situation for what it is.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 63 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil, daveamec, janyline
71,836 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation