Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 47 of 55 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 54 55
A
OP Offline
A
Gamma:

That's a very interesting way to look at it and one I haven't considered much. I was certainly angry with my ex about the A but it was never a vengeance thing...I loved her too much at the time to feel that way, it was just tough love to me.

But you're right...it certainly hints at "I'm not a doormat and I won't let you get away with @#$@ing another dude without making sure you live to regret it".

To be honest, I am little perplexed about how/when exactly I bring up this whole circus to someone I'm dating in the future.

My dating pool is going to be limited to other Christians and so I'm not even sure when I bring up the fact that I'm divorced. That in itself seems an awkward segue (though obviously a necessary one). There's a fair amount of guys my age who haven't even been married yet, let alone married for 7 years and divorced. To be honest what I've had in mind is looking for someone in their mid 20s who has never married, though the right woman wouldn't have to fit that profile.

I'm not worried about getting dates. Not that I'm all that special but I push very hard when I set my mind to something and I am sold on the MB approach of 30 candidates before I settle on one. That actually seems like a lot of fun to me, and something that would be very interesting and enlightening. With online dating being as prolific as it is (and the fact that I live in a fairly large city) I feel like making connections nowadays is much easier than doing it the old fashioned way as I did a decade ago. I was naturally very shy when I was younger and unmarried...now I have the confidence that comes with experience. None of this will be new territory. Also, this is a bit arrogant but I feel like most unmarried men my age are basketcases as far as independence and responsibility so I feel I have advantages there too.

But what I do know is that I want my first marriage to be something that is brought up only when my future wife wants to talk about it. I don't want to be the person who carries that emotional baggage into their second relationship and places it on the shoulders of someone who had nothing to do with it.

I don't want her ever to feel compared to or measured against my first wife. I don't want her ever to even think for a second that I am somehow thinking about my first wife instead of her exclusively. I don't want my first wife or first marriage to ever appear on her radar in a way that would make her feel less valued, if I can at all prevent that. I know it will be very tempting to vent or complain, but I know how fragile a heart can be on this subject.

Though my ex and I did not wait till marriage to have sex with each other (the relationship got physical very fast), she was the only person I'd had any sexual contact with, and the inverse was not even slightly true.

I remember how I felt when she was first honest with me about her sexual history. We were already pretty serious by that point, but it absolutely crushed me. I couldn't shake the feeling that other men had known her in a way I wanted to know her exclusively. It was like they had stolen something precious from me that I could never get back. She told me out of guilt, and I was intent on marrying her by then (partially because of how physical the relationship had already become...I felt guilty about that), so I never really let on to how hard it hit me. But it sucked, it was awful.

I wish I could even have "saved" myself for whoever my future wife is because I know what it's like to feel cheated in that regard, but if there's a consolation at least it is that this first marriage was mostly sexless so it won't be hard to exceed it in that area.

Anyhow, you get the gist. I know I'll need to talk about it, but certainly it should be apparent here that I struggle with oversharing or at least rambling, and I want whoever I marry to feel like the marriage we share is the only one that matters to me or that I am thinking about. I worry that once I open that box conversationally it will be difficult for me not to talk about it or at least say too much.

Does Dr. Harley have any commentary or writings on this subject? I would be very interested to see what he would have to say, perhaps I should email that one in. I am certain he has experience with this.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Gamma
Too bad my W's friends H didn't know about this in his first marriage, he wasted 10 years with an on again off again wife.

Gamma

Bingo...this was the biggest reason I was deadset on a 6 month timeline for Plan A.

It's romantic to think of winning back the wayward as the tireless knight in shining armor, Plan A-ing until she finally comes home...BUT...

I've read too many stories on here and elsewhere where the wayward returns only to offer crumbs and the torture of perpetual uncertainty to the BS. It seems too cruel to be true but these individuals in this mold just seem to be broken inside in such a profound way that they cannot empathize with the BS, and it's impossible to know whether your WS is one of them while you play the waiting game.

No regrets about D for that reason alone.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"

My story
P
P
Ax,

I don't think you should be particularly worried that anyone new would be troubled or feel compared to your ex. As a woman, I know that someone new would probably want to know a lot of details, particularly because she had an affair. However, you have no contact with her, no kids, etc., so the competition aspect will be gone. By the time you are in love again, the new woman will probably be more curious than anything. She'll probably think, "well, she lost out,..and it's my gain. Yeay me!" And that's about it. It would only be an issue if your ex came around and you allowed her to interfere with a new relationship (ie, poor boundaries).

Me: 38, have been divorced for 4 years
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the perspective, PW. That is comforting.

At one point several months ago (I mentioned it on here) I met with my SIL's husband as he had wanted to encourage me not to give up on trying to win back/wait out my ex. He also works in IT and we always enjoyed talking/hanging out at family events.

His story is that he was a widower before he met my SIL. His first wife died unexpectedly in her sleep one night. Really tough deal, they'd already had 5 kids together and were in their 40s.

Anyhow he mentioned after he married my SIL that she had some insecurities about how she stacked up against his first wife early on in their marriage, and so that's what made me think of that, along with my own experience. It was in the context of encouraging me to be affectionate with my Plan A, but anyhow.

Still not sure when I should mention the divorce/affair in the dating process. When would you want to know if you were meeting a guy to date?

My story
P
P
Me? upfront. The only reason to hide a divorce is if one thinks it's "shameful" in my opinion. Your divorce wasn't shameful, it was necessary. I don't think you need to necessarily need to into the specifics right away, but basically saying, "I was married and I decided to divorce because she had an affair and wouldn't end it, even after my best efforts to save it" would be OK. A nice girl will probably ask you a few questions, then drop it and bring it up slowly over tine, here and there.

Perhaps Dr. Harley has some advice on this, but I would feel blindsided if I was given this info a couple months in. Maybe some others who have gone on to other relationships like Indiegirl have advice.. I have a friend without kids who is divorced because of adultery, I'll ask her what she does on her dating profiles and how she brings it up.

Also--as a side note, I actually could see how it would be hard for the new wife of a widower. He lost his wife through death, not mistreatment. I can see her saying, "I wonder if he'll ever love me like he loved her?" In your case, it's much easier for a woman to come in and say, "hey, she broke his heart, cheated, left. I'm winning by just treating him with care." The biggest thing is to keep your ex wife AWAY if and when you get remarried. My best friend is married to a man who was divorced from his first wife of 20 years due to adultery. She is not on the radar and he doesn't have her phone number, etc. (They have an adult son together, but don't communicate directly).

I know for myself, it was a HUGE decision to divorce the father of my child. It sucks. But he will be OUT of my life FOREVER as a gift to myself and any future husband (you know, if I can find a non-deadbeat, non-criminal who wants to be a step-dad). The biggest thing is to continually protect the new relationship. Then she will have nothing to fear if she knows that you will protect HER and not have to worry about the ex.

S
S
Originally Posted by axslinger85
Still not sure when I should mention the divorce/affair in the dating process. When would you want to know if you were meeting a guy to date?
ax, I had a thread about this some years ago. I'm linking it for you to read.

As threads do, it wandered about all over the place, so it doesn't always address your question. It ends up discussing whether and when you should disclose your own affair - which is not at all your situation. It then got very upsetting for one poster and I locked it.

However, it does discuss the difficulties of timing a disclosure. If we decide that some information is not appropriate for a first date, we risk the other person becoming interested in us and having to tell them later, which could be upsetting - and when would that time be? When we begin seeing someone regularly? When we become "exclusive"? (Remember that Dr H and Joyce did not become exclusive even after they were engaged!) When there is a proposal? Before accepting the proposal?

I think that in your case, you should tell on the first date. Your date should want to know whether you are married, or have ever been married. I'd have thought that was basic information (not myself having dated for over 30 years) and that a basic outline should be easy to give.

Here's the thread:

http://forum.marriagebuilders.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2351215&page=1

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
N
N
One concern I have is how not to seem like a paranoid and controlling person when I tell my future girlfriend that we need to follow MB principles or otherwise there's no future for us. Most people (including me prior to my ex's affair) have no idea how common infidelity is or how we are all wired for affairs. I guess I'll start her off with Dr. Harley's video on infidelity.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
B
B
Originally Posted by PigletWiglet
Me? upfront. The only reason to hide a divorce is if one thinks it's "shameful" in my opinion. Your divorce wasn't shameful, it was necessary. I don't think you need to necessarily need to into the specifics right away, but basically saying, "I was married and I decided to divorce because she had an affair and wouldn't end it, even after my best efforts to save it" would be OK. A nice girl will probably ask you a few questions, then drop it and bring it up slowly over tine, here and there.

Also--as a side note, I actually could see how it would be hard for the new wife of a widower. He lost his wife through death, not mistreatment. I can see her saying, "I wonder if he'll ever love me like he loved her?" In your case, it's much easier for a woman to come in and say, "hey, she broke his heart, cheated, left. I'm winning by just treating him with care." The biggest thing is to keep your ex wife AWAY if and when you get remarried.

I know for myself, it was a HUGE decision to divorce the father of my child. It sucks. But he will be OUT of my life FOREVER as a gift to myself and any future husband. The biggest thing is to continually protect the new relationship. Then she will have nothing to fear if she knows that you will protect HER and not have to worry about the ex.

I would want to know about a divorce or any children upfront. If I feel a man is hiding what I would consider important info from me only to find out later I would be ticked and VERY leery about him. You don't have to go into gory details about your marriage or divorce early on but there is no reason to hide the fact that you are divorced either.

ETA: Myself and others have even checked county public records for a divorce filing to verify that the person of interest is in fact divorced and that their story jives. smile

Last edited by black_raven; 06/10/15 12:44 PM.

BW - me
exWH - serial cheater
2 awesome kids
Divorced 12/2011

Many a good man has failed because he had a wishbone where his backbone should have been.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.
--------Eleanor Roosevelt
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everyone. Solid advice. Also thank you SC for the thread, I will check that out.

I guess for me I'm just thinking of how to have that conversation...I guess it would fall into "tell me about yourself"/icebreaker kind of stuff. I don't worry about how to briefly sum up the details too much...I've had that conversation so many times already with people at church and old friends, etc. In a way I'm fortunate that things got so crazy here with Ex/OM attempting to get ROs because that spells out "unreasonable" without me really having to say anything else about how my Ex handled the situation.

But it's very helpful to see what common expectations on this are.

I'll be interested to see what your friend says, PW, about her dating site profile.

I've never looked at a dating site before but if I were browsing profiles I would want to know if someone was a divorcee, so I would think it's something I would disclose on there to be honest. But then I think about what all that COULD mean to say that you are young and divorced. Why?

And then I think...is a profile enough room/the right place to spell out what has happened here, or do I need to wait until I meet this person to get into that? I can see where a woman might be a little irritated if a site had an option for "divorced" and I just marked "single" and then sprung it on her after we met up.

And yes, BR, I will definitely be checking people out via the courts sites going forward! I swear one practically self-trains as a PI when they become a betrayed spouse, and gets fairly proficient. I didn't even know Casenet (MO courts database) even existed before this whole mess. If I had, my wife asking to work for OM probably would have turned into a NO or a fight because there is no way in the world I would have wanted her anywhere near him if I knew what was on record about the dude.

But hey...I'm glad I know about it now. Makes it real easy to check out someone's story in that regard. Being a veteran of all this now one can put stuff together so easily on divorce cases that are online...just follow the trail. Any protective orders? Any child support orders from people outside the marriage around the same time? Etc.

My story
P
P
Originally Posted by nmwb77
One concern I have is how not to seem like a paranoid and controlling person when I tell my future girlfriend that we need to follow MB principles or otherwise there's no future for us. Most people (including me prior to my ex's affair) have no idea how common infidelity is or how we are all wired for affairs. I guess I'll start her off with Dr. Harley's video on infidelity.

I probably wouldn't mention MB on the first date (no need to). I would bring it up if things got serious or if you got engaged. A woman who is serious about you probably won't think of it as controlling, but rather as something good. You've been through the worst thing a person can go through in marriage and don't want it to happen again and know how to prevent it. Heading toward marriage, these are actually things you SHOULD think about, but most people don't (I know I didn't). My pre-marital counseling consisted of like 15 mins with a pastor.

People seriously don't know how to be married. If you present, "hey, this is how we can protect each other and stay in love" that's a good thing. But don't worry about it until marriage is a serious consideration IMHO.

What I would look for upfront, is evidence of good character. And don't ignore any crazy red flags (financial irresponsibility, moving too fast, a history of chaos, etc).

Last edited by PigletWiglet; 06/10/15 01:24 PM.

N
N
I probably wouldn't mention MB on the first date (no need to). I would bring it up if things got serious or if you got engaged. A woman who is serious about you probably won't think of it as controlling, but rather as something good. You've been through the worst thing a person can go through in marriage and don't want it to happen again and know how to prevent it. Heading toward marriage, these are actually things you SHOULD think about, but most people don't (I know I didn't). My pre-marital counseling consisted of like 15 mins with a pastor.

People seriously don't know how to be married. If you present, "hey, this is how we can protect each other and stay in love" that's a good thing. But don't worry about it until marriage is a serious consideration IMHO.

What I would look for upfront, is evidence of good character. And don't ignore any crazy red flags (financial irresponsibility, moving too fast, a history of chaos, etc).

Yeah, that makes sense. And you're absolutely right about the red flags. I ignored a serious red flag with my ex, so I will never do that again.

Remarried 7/16
Thanks MB!
A
OP Offline
A
It would only be an issue if your ex came around and you allowed her to interfere with a new relationship (ie, poor boundaries).

After Jan 1st 2016 I don't want to ever see or hear from her/her family ever again, and you bet I will make it difficult for any of them to have any level of contact with me. They all had a chance to do the right thing and they blew it.

My story
A
OP Offline
A
I would bring it up if things got serious or if you got engaged. A woman who is serious about you probably won't think of it as controlling, but rather as something good.

These are my thoughts on when to talk about MB too.

Over in the MB 101 forum I see MelodyLane often use the metaphor of the engaged spouse "selling" the reluctant spouse on MB...I think that sale should be pretty easy for someone who is both reasonable and also in love with you.

E.g. "This is something that really helped me overcome some behavioral problems and bad habits I had in my prior marriage and I believe it can help us grow, protect and preserve our love for each other."

My story
M
M
The best advice I have as a 39 year old is habits are the quintessential part to growing as an adult ... anyone divorced including all betrayed spouses need to change marriage destroying habits. Anyone who doesn't see this no matter what the circumstances will not make good marriage partners.

P
P
I think this is general advice for even happily married people though. The adultery is the thing that destroyed the marriage because it was so extreme...not the "marriage destroying" habits of the betrayed. Those may have contributed to feelings of unhappiness in the WS...or the wayward spouse might just have poor boundaries even if needs were being met.

Building better character and trying to master issues like anger and disrespect should be general goals that carry over into marriage.

A
OP Offline
A
This:

" Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet. "

is a great quote. Really like that.

My story
J
J
Originally Posted by nmwb77

You're putting the cart before the horse.
Do you also prepare to tell the girlfriend she needs to take her BP medicine when she is 70?
The conversations will be more normal when you have a girlfriend and get close to them and start discussing potential future together.

J
J
Originally Posted by axslinger85
I wish I could even have "saved" myself for whoever my future wife is because I know what it's like to feel cheated in that regard, but if there's a consolation at least it is that this first marriage was mostly sexless so it won't be hard to exceed it in that area.

Well, we are programmed to have sex. There is nothing wrong in the fact that you were married and had sex with your wife.
This paragraph is not rational. I think you are thinking too emotionally about this aspect of your life.

J
J
Do you plan on being in Plan B until December?

J
J
Originally Posted by Sunnytimes
I had a strictly orthodox view of divorce/remarriage (only in case of adultery), sincerely held, for most of my life.

It wasn't until somewhat recently that I allowed myself to accept I Corinthians 7/abandonment of an UNBELIEVING spouse as permission to be free of the marriage and to remarry. However, this places the believer subject to several flukes (that the spouse does not profess to be a believer and will initiate the leave and file for divorce).

My unbelieving spouse wouldn't do that, so there I sat, subject to the abuse, and my health being run down.

In one of the million+ prayers where I was PLEADING with God to please show me a way to survive while honoring His will for a married believer, God finally in answer to finally, ONE of those prayers by directing me to the last half of Isaiah 28, where Israel has entered into a covenant of death (parallel: marriage was always refereed to as a covenant in my church) in which God is instructing them to exit. This is a new concept for me....the first time I realized there is a place in the Bible where God is telling his people to BREAK a COVENANT.

God tells them the bed will never be long enough or the covers wide enough to find comfort. The chapter concludes with the command to take a stick and beat it out. The final verse stood alone, didn't really mix in with the rest of the chapter but it simply said something about God's ways are higher than ours and we must rely on his wisdom (all of this is completely paraphrased - I read it in the KJV, so not sure if the other translations would bear out this paraphrasing.) In spite of endless prayers for wisdom to know what to do, only this ONE time I was given to understand that God had heard my prayer and directed me to an answer.

I just wanted ever so much to trust in God and take the step to beat it out, but my social structure would not support that (nor at the time my own narrow viewpoint). I would be risking a divorce against everything I had ever believed ...plus be sentenced to be single for the rest of my life unless I risked censure and excommunication), neither of which seemed like a possibility to me.

I continued in my marriage in complete disobedience to this command of the Lord's, and everything only become more miserable by the week and month. Eventually I was about to break and was losing my health. I think God finally took mercy on my well intentioned (how can I do this within the word of God as I understand it?) but ignorant disobedience, knowing I'd run myself to the grave before I'd intentionally provoke a divorce that was not in what my narrow viewpoint understood his favor to be. God permitted me to get the "fluke" several years later when my xH said he was going to divorce me, and imitate the filing.

Because now I had I Cor 7 to rest on, I put this struggle away and didn't think of it anymore.

Then I met a very wonderful divorced man who had similar struggles as mine, but he did NOT get the fluke that I got (an unbelieving spouse who filed). Rather his wife (contrary to her fruits) did claim to be a believer and he eventually had to be the one to file.

In my heart and soul I had to admit his situation was no different than mine, and it sent me back to learn and understand Isaiah 28 better. In my research, I came across a woman who had endured a similar situation and her writings really opened my eyes to how Isaiah 28 fit with God's teachings on divorce.

There is a passage (in Matthew I believe?) which describes church discipline procedures where if someone is offending you, you go and tell him by yourself. If the offense won't stop you come back with 2 or 3 witnesses. If it still doesn't stop, it goes to the church for discipline and ultimately the person is put out as an unbeliever and excommunicated (please excuse my paraphrasing again).

This beautifully reconciles Isaiah 28 (beating out the covenant with death) with 1 Cor 7. Think about it - where does the Bible's standard remedies for misbehavior (in this Matthew passage, or in Proverbs regarding an angry man, etc etc) EVER say "unless the other person is a spouse, and then you just have to take it". No where. NEVER!!!

I believe our churches do a horrendous disservice by ignoring completely what one should DO in a marriage when the other partner does not behave - and further, refuses to behave - within the principals of marriage as God designed them. I've hear so many wives submit/husbands love sermons where it is simply pretended that that's all there is to it, that if I EVER attend a church where there's another one, I will walk out and go home.

I couldn't have obeyed better or submitted better to fix my marriage. We need ACTIONABLE teaching within the guidelines of God's Word for how to fix our marriages when the start to wobble, not a bunch of pablum puke pretending all we need to know is what the other person is supposed to do.

Then we need a remedy for when our spouse refuses to cooperate whatsoever within the institution of marriage. God does not intend for us to be in a situation that our health is unable to bear (another paraphrase)...there has to be a solution.

I'm very much at peace with my new understanding of a Christian's liberty to divorce under these circumstances. I may pay for it with censure/excommunication in the future, but I am willing to stand by my convictions because I know them, and have experienced them, to be the will of God in my life.

When the New testament was written, there were only a few churches so people were more bound to follow their rules. But today there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of denominations of Christian Churches. So if one church does not accept your divorce you can go across the street to one that does.

Page 47 of 55 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 54 55

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 493 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation