Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2859339 07/01/15 07:17 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I am absolutely willing and wanting to rebuild our marriage, but I cannot do it alone. It seems that she is still in the fog, and still unwilling to take the steps necessary to affair-proof the marriage. I am supposed to simply accept the excuses which are numerous and convenient. And if I don't then she throws a tantrum. But I've heard them all over the years. I used to be the OM. All the deceptive techniques that she used to tell me about using on her first husband, are now being used on me. But she's refined them, I must say. Very careful. Takes pride in it, you might say.

She wanted to stay married to him, too. Wanted both of us.

I honestly believe she's serious for a few days, and then I see behaviors that remind me things haven't changed. She enjoys this too much. I can see the quick flash of contempt. The sly little smile while watching whether I've digested another lie. The games. You're good babe, but not at what I need.

Most people aren't prepared for her and don't see it coming, if they ever do. I saw it from the other side, and I have to say I actually found it attractive. My first relationship. I guess I couldn't see the obvious.

I am here, waiting for you to be on my side for once. Not putting on the show, but actually living it.

Me.

Fate #2859341 07/01/15 08:34 PM
G
G
Fate, I don't drop in much anymore, but your post caught my eye.

Sounds like every day that you spent with her, every day that you & she were an item, sent her the message -- not by your words, but by your actions -- that you were OK with cheating & its logical outcomes.

You can't have been blindsided that she's cheated on you now, right?

Sir, I wasn't any better than you -- that's not what I'm here to imply. (I was just luckier that I got caught before I'd burned all my bridges.) I believe in 2nd chances -- my life would be a fried mess if I hadn't been given one. But (and here's my point): Why on earth would you want to give this person a 3rd chance?

Me: FWH, 50
My BW: Trust_Will_Come, 52, tall, beautiful & heart of gold
DD23, DS19
EA-then-PA Oct'08-Jan'09
Broke it off & confessed to BW (after OW's H found out) Jan.7 2009
Married 25 years & counting.
Grateful for forgiveness. Working to be a better husband.
"I wear the chain I forged in life... I made it link by link, and yard by yard" ~Jacob Marley's ghost, A Christmas Carol
"Do it again & you're out on your [bum]." ~My BW, Jan.7 2009
Fate #2859342 07/01/15 08:41 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
We just had another round. Can't delete Whatsapp, said she needs it to talk to her family out of country. I don't know what to do, but I think I'm being gaslit again here. She said she installed some software on her phone to track who she text messages, that should be enough. I don't know.

If I can give any advice to anyone reading this in the future, if you suspect something, be diligent. Don't tip your spouse off ahead of time and give them the chance to take it underground. Your marriage depends on it.

Fate #2859343 07/01/15 09:04 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
GloveOil,

I suppose that's right. I guess I had it coming.

I informed the husband (my best friend up till then) that I was developing feelings for his wife, that I should stay away, and he said, "No, it's just puppy love. She needs some friends, don't be that way." What did we know, we were kids.

When I later showed him a text that it was becoming mutual, his tone changed dramatically.

And then everything unraveled, and now I'm standing in his shoes. Which I had coming.

We refrained from "being" with each other until after the divorce out of respect, which I now see as twisted and sick.

But I do love my wife. She is my first and only.

And our son, a wonderful little boy.

I don't want to give up on this, but the behavior that led to it both times must stop forever. I will do my part. I'm guilty of angry outbursts and love busters. I am getting better all the time. This has really been a wake-up call for me.

Fate #2859344 07/01/15 09:08 PM
P
P
If your marriage started as an affair, then there is little hope that it will recover.

If you want to save this marriage, I suggest you contact Dr. Harley himself and get his professional help. It is really your only chance.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Prisca #2859347 07/01/15 09:25 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I see. That was something we had discussed, thank you.

Fate #2859348 07/01/15 09:28 PM
P
P
Email him at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Fate #2859353 07/01/15 09:38 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Fate
I used to be the OM. All the deceptive techniques that she used to tell me about using on her first husband, are now being used on me. But she's refined them, I must say. Very careful. Takes pride in it, you might say.

What is the problem? You volunteered for this...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Yes, I suppose I did.

And believe me, I feel pretty dumb now. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I know that it's easy to rationalize things, but is the advice here that our marriage isn't worth saving?

I have found the procedures and information listed here by Dr. Harley to have the ring of truth. Something that I have found lacking elsewhere (marriage counseling, etc) and I still feel that they can be applied.

While our relationship may have started as an affair, it stopped being one the day we took our vows. I don't see that it's any less of a marriage than anyone else's. By that standard, perhaps 2nd marriages are less important. Or non-virgin marriages.

We all make mistakes, but do we not strive to improve?

Fate #2859364 07/01/15 10:11 PM
P
P
If you want to save this, then you need to email Dr. Harley at mbradio@marriagebuilders.com

Marriages that start out as affairs have a very poor track record of success. We do not have the expertise to handle your fragile situation. You will need the help of Dr. Harley, the best psychologist in the country.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

Fate #2859365 07/01/15 10:15 PM
M
M
Yes, I suppose I did.

And believe me, I feel pretty dumb now. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I know that it's easy to rationalize things, but is the advice here that our marriage isn't worth saving?

Fate, nobody has said that to you, so it must be your own idea.

Only you can decide if your marriage is worth saving. She's had an affair, so no one will judge you if you want to walk away. You have a child together, so no one will judge you if you want to stay.

But WE CAN'T SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE. Your marriage is extra fragile because of the special circumstances of its formation, which is why we referred you to Dr. Willard Harley, who is actually a professional and is the best marriage counselor in the world. If you want to save your marriage, you are not going to be able to do it without his help, which he gives out for free.

I have found the procedures and information listed here by Dr. Harley to have the ring of truth. Something that I have found lacking elsewhere (marriage counseling, etc) and I still feel that they can be applied.

I believe that if you can follow the principles here 100% without exception your marriage can be saved. But right now both you and your wife are making exceptions to the rules. For example, now that you have the details of the affair, the Marriage Builders rule is for you to not talk about it any more, so you must not talk about it any more. If you are going to keep talking about it, then it would be easier on you to just divorce.

The rules must be followed 100% without exception in your case, regardless of the reason for the exception. If one of you wants to make an exception somewhere because they can't or won't follow it, it will be less heartache on you to just quietly divorce.

Another rule is NO FIGHTING, EVER, for any reason.

Another rule is DON'T BREAK THE RULES YOURSELF, EVEN IF SHE BREAKS THE RULES.

Another rule is NO ANGRY OUTBURSTS, EVER, no matter what, no matter why, even if they are justified.

Right now you're regularly breaking all of those rules.

If you can follow all the rules, you might be able to save your marriage, but you are going to need Dr. Harley's help because we cannot help you do it. We would love to give you help but we have a ZERO PERCENT SUCCESS RATE for marriages like yours. NOBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS EVER BEEN ABLE TO HELP SAVE A MARRIAGE that is in your circumstances. Never, ever. If you would like to be the first, talk to Dr. Harley.

Have you written Dr. Harley yet?

While our relationship may have started as an affair, it stopped being one the day we took our vows. I don't see that it's any less of a marriage than anyone else's.

Nobody wants to waste any time debating that with you. Whether you are right or not, we still have a PROVEN ZERO PERCENT TRACK RECORD on this, and we want you to know that you MUST talk to the professional, Dr. Willard Harley. If you aren't willing to do that, I would suggest that you save you, your wife, and your child from the fighting and heartache and quietly get a divorce.

By that standard, perhaps 2nd marriages are less important.

Nobody wants to debate about whose marriages are more important than whose. crazy According to Dr. Harley, who is an actual marriage expert and a professional unlike us amateur idiots here on the forum, your marriage is going to be extremely difficult to save. Believe me, if this forum ever helped a marriage like yours save itself, I'm sure Dr. Harley and his wife Joyce would turn cartwheels of joy and loudly proclaim it, but it has never happened. Dr. Harley and Joyce are passionate about saving marriages, so write them an email.

We all make mistakes, but do we not strive to improve?

Nobody here wants to waste any time answering or debating this irrelevant question.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Fate #2859366 07/01/15 10:16 PM
M
M

Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth - stop hearing things that nobody said, and start listening to what we did say.

Have you written Dr. Harley yet?

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
Fate #2859367 07/01/15 10:23 PM
M
M
Yes, I suppose I did.

And believe me, I feel pretty dumb now. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I know that it's easy to rationalize things, but is the advice here that our marriage isn't worth saving?

Your "affairage' is something you signed on for. If you want help, you need to contact Dr. Harley directly.

While our relationship may have started as an affair, it stopped being one the day we took our vows. I don't see that it's any less of a marriage than anyone else's. By that standard, perhaps 2nd marriages are less important. Or non-virgin marriages.

When you married your adultery partner, it became what Dr Harley calls an "affairage." Dr Harley has never saved one because they are so fragile, but he can try to help you.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

markos #2859368 07/01/15 10:24 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ok, we will do just that. Thanks for all of the advice here, and hopefully we'll be able to report back with some good news.

My apologies for being harsh.

Fate #2859369 07/01/15 10:26 PM
M
M
YAnd believe me, I feel pretty dumb now. But that doesn't mean I'm willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

But are you willing to accept reality? Reality is that you married a cheater. KNOWINGLY. That is like buying a dog and then complaining that he barks. The problem here is not her affair, but your inability to accept the consequences of your choices.

Can you accept reality?

Exposure 101

markos #2859370 07/01/15 10:44 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by markos
Only you can decide if your marriage is worth saving. She's had an affair, so no one will judge you if you want to walk away. You have a child together, so no one will judge you if you want to stay.

Let me also add "You're having angry outbursts and punishing her and continuing to talk about the affair, so noone will judge her if she wants to walk away."

F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
This is starting to actually sink in.

I guess I didn't believe that kind of behavior could be serial at the time. But in both instances I can see that affair-proofing would have prevented it.

One of the differences of opinion we had early on (and still do, to a lesser extent) was on opposite-sex friends. I can see now how truly dangerous that is, and that eventually, even the best-intentioned people will eventually develop attraction.

markos #2859374 07/01/15 11:08 PM
F
Fate Offline OP
OP Offline
F
[/quote]

Let me also add "You're having angry outbursts and punishing her and continuing to talk about the affair, so noone will judge her if she wants to walk away." [/quote]

On the AO, absolutely. That is a demon I thought I had squashed long ago. But there is no punishment here, certainly not. I don't prescribe to vengeance. She feels that way I think, but when the affair comes up, it's typically the white elephant in the room. The hurt of the actual affair is very minimal at this point.

What ails right now are the actions SINCE d-day. I came to terms with the affair back when I discovered it. But her feeling like it was something she needed to hide, and that changes to prevent it recurring are controlling or unnecessary, is incredibly difficult to wrap my head around, unless it's intentional.

Fate #2859376 07/01/15 11:37 PM
M
M
Fate, did you email Dr. Harley, yet?

On the AO, absolutely. That is a demon I thought I had squashed long ago. But there is no punishment here, certainly not.

Fate, you need to read Dr. Harley's book Love Busters, which will make clear the connection between angry outbursts and punishment.

Also, it's a punishment for her for you to even talk about the affair at this point.

She feels that way I think, but when the affair comes up,

Don't talk about the affair. Follow this rule. Follow this rule even if she breaks the rule.

Nothing "comes up." One or both of you talks about it. Don't do it.

Fate #2859378 07/01/15 11:56 PM
A
A
GloveOil,

I suppose that's right. I guess I had it coming.

I informed the husband (my best friend up till then) that I was developing feelings for his wife, that I should stay away, and he said, "No, it's just puppy love. She needs some friends, don't be that way." What did we know, we were kids.

When I later showed him a text that it was becoming mutual, his tone changed dramatically.

And then everything unraveled, and now I'm standing in his shoes. Which I had coming.

We refrained from "being" with each other until after the divorce out of respect, which I now see as twisted and sick.

But I do love my wife. She is my first and only.

And our son, a wonderful little boy.

I don't want to give up on this, but the behavior that led to it both times must stop forever. I will do my part. I'm guilty of angry outbursts and love busters. I am getting better all the time. This has really been a wake-up call for me.

You really shouldn't consider him your best friend at that time, even in retrospect. Maybe you were his but he was certainly not yours.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation