Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
Originally Posted by llw14
I thought the counselling for the most part focused on applying certain techniques but I suppose she possibly could have felt like I won and she lost when the pastor suggested that we try the main thing I've been asking her to do for months, which is to take "time outs" before things escalated.

I am 100% certain that if the counseling involved her "admitting faults" she felt it was a loss for her.

The goal of counseling should be to help the two of you learn to help each other win, not to help somebody discover they are at fault or wrong.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
How can I sell her on this program and the books so that we can even apply the principles?

We've given you several suggestions that will help. I suggest you reread this thread very carefully and make a todo list. In particular, it's crucial that you start listening to that radio show, daily.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
I feel like I can't negotiate anything because I get called selfish for wanting something different from her so of course I yield.

Don't yield any more. Don't do things if you are not enthusiastic about them, don't take blame or apologize for not feeling enthusiastic about something she wants. Instead, start looking for a way to meet her needs that you are enthusiastic about, while at the same time trying to draw her into a romantic relationship with you (POUA) and keeping the problem of her love busters (demands, disrespect, and anger) on the front burner.

(Yeah, that's a lot to do at once, but it works a lot better than yielding!)

Let me just remark on something about that word selfish. Both of you are supposed to win in marriage. Being selfish is a good thing. The goal of marriage should be to get you both what you want in ways that the other person is also enthusiastic about. You want ways that both of you can be selfish, together. smile

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
How can I sell her on this program and the books so that we can even apply the principles? I let it go the first time as she refused. Again it came down to me being selfish as I wanted to try a program that I wanted and not what she wanted.

The answer to this question resides in a question. What's in it for her?

Try to write an answer to this.

M
M
FightTheFight, your posts are awesome. smile

F
F
Good point. How can I approach it so that it doesn't appear as me wanting to fix her but wanting a great marriage? The main obstacle is that she doesn't like or trust the internet for this sort of thing.

I don't blame her! The internet is full of terrible advice.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
M
M
Good point. How can I approach it so that it doesn't appear as me wanting to fix her but wanting a great marriage? The main obstacle is that she doesn't like or trust the internet for this sort of thing.

Don't try to educate her. She needs you to be a fun friend, not a professor. Educating her will be a love bank withdrawal because it is disrespectful.

No husband here ever turns things around by winning a debate with his wife. Instead, after he learns to eliminate love bank withdrawals and make massive love bank deposits every day, her feelings toward him change, and at that point she becomes more open to meeting his needs and protecting him from love bank withdrawals.

So it's crucial to draw her into a romantic relationship with you, frequently extending invitations to join you to spend time alone together giving each other your undivided attention and making it wonderful for her. It's also crucial to complain about the love busters (in writing weekly rather than in person constantly) so that as her feelings toward you change she will start to understand what she can do to make you feel better.

F
F

The main obstacle is that she probably isn't in love with you for a variety of reasons. And to be honest it sounds like she has some issues to work on as well. But trust us, the only real path to success and getting her on board is exactly what Markos is telling you to do.

I can't tell if you're able to absorb it all at once, and it probably seems like a terrible situation to you, but as an outsider looking in I see a lot of hope here.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
L
llw14 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by markos
Wow, what article did you see that said this? Dr. Harley says to NEVER do this! The Marriage Builders rule is "if your spouse breaks the rules, don't break the rules yourself."
Sorry, what I meant was that the article says that that is what people tend to do, not that that is what they should do. See below:

"In this second stage, when a husband recognizes a shift in her approach from being respectful to being disrespectful, he usually fights fire with fire. If she wants to be disrespectful, he can be that way, too. But if he makes that mistake, he will see his marriage unravel rather quickly. "

Excerpted from here:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_Nagging.html

L
llw14 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Do you interact lovingly with the baby now, in the womb?

I absolutely do. I kiss them both good night and good morning everyday (even though sometimes I'd rather not if we had just fought).

L
llw14 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
I can't tell if you're able to absorb it all at once, and it probably seems like a terrible situation to you, but as an outsider looking in I see a lot of hope here.

Yes, this thread is definitely something I'll have to re-read a few times. Thanks.

M
M
Wow, what article did you see that said this? Dr. Harley says to NEVER do this! The Marriage Builders rule is "if your spouse breaks the rules, don't break the rules yourself."
Sorry, what I meant was that the article says that that is what people tend to do, not that that is what they should do. See below:

"In this second stage, when a husband recognizes a shift in her approach from being respectful to being disrespectful, he usually fights fire with fire. If she wants to be disrespectful, he can be that way, too. But if he makes that mistake, he will see his marriage unravel rather quickly. "

Excerpted from here:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi8122_Nagging.html

Ah, okay, now I get it!

M
M
To summarize a few important things you need to do soon:

* get the Marriage Builders Radio app and start listening daily
* start inviting your wife to spend time with you alone and start being with her when she unwinds and relaxes
* tell your wife you don't feel like either of you should ever be demanding, disrespectful, or angry with each other, and ask her to tell you whenever she feels you are doing one of these things. Then start giving her your own list once a week and asking if she would give you one.

F
F
I absolutely do. I kiss them both good night and good morning everyday (even though sometimes I'd rather not if we had just fought).

And never fight with her again.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M
Since conversation and affection are the most important emotional needs for a typical woman, try to become very familiar with what Dr. Harley says about these, and very good at meeting these needs.

How to meet the need for affection

I suggest just taking the sample list Dr. Harley provided and doing those things, daily, customizing the list as you gain more insight into your wife.

Here is the secret to meeting your wife's need for conversation:

The friends and enemies of good conversation.

Dr. Harley lists four friends of good conversation and four enemies of good conversation. (They are also listed in His Needs, Her Needs.) Spend fifteen hours a week in conversation with your wife, practicing the friends, and practicing avoiding the enemies. Re-read that article each day to refresh your memory, and practice until you understand them and are good at them.

Stay in contact with her every day as much as possible. Call her during the day from work just to say hello and ask how she's doing. Use texting, instant messenger, email, or whatever other means of contact is available to you. Call her on your way home.

L
llw14 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks again...lots to look at and do. Will start tonight.

M
M
Did you get the app, yet?

L
llw14 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Yes..got the app for my iPad; wife is at work, I'm home listening. Still mulling over how to approach her with this. My first priority is UA as this seems to be critical.

F
F
Honestly I wouldn't approach her at all with any if this. You'll be much better served by keeping this in your hip pocket and using it without her even knowing.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
F
Just follow the advice.. Educate yourself. Listen to the show everyday. Come here often for feedback. That's your mission for now. This will take awhile.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 07/08/15 09:36 PM.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation