Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2860114 07/08/15 09:52 PM
B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
It has been a while since I have posted. I still do visit from time to time, and I see that some people still have not grasped the concept that working on a marriage is far better than the temporary high of an affair. I digress.

Does anyone know if Dr. Harley (or anyone) has developed a substantial per-marriage questionnaire ( I mean a really good one)? I am thinking something around a 15 - 50 pager of things to work through prior to entertaining the thought of getting married.

I am particularly interested as my son is getting interested in a young lady. If he is anything like I was hormones play a role in the decision making process and I am thinking a well constructed questionnaire of issues to address and consider may be just the thing to get the focus on important issues that are currently not seen due to the I'm so in Love" fog.

It seems practical to me this process needs to be more intense than the two days and 5 stages of interviews I had to go through for some of my jobs. There is more at risk getting into the wrong relationship. If one is not willing to put in the effort to understand the principles of building a successful relationship then jettisoning the thought of marriage is reasonable in my mind.

The last thing I want my son to experience is the devastation divorce imposes on individuals and families. As the African proverb says "When the elephants fight it is the grass that suffers". I know my divorce from WW has had and continues to have impact on my children.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you are able to offer.

Me 58 BS

M
M
Here is a good article by Dr. Harley that addresses important issues:

Choosing the Right One to Marry

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
That is a good article, and in fact Dr. Harley has a whole section full of very interesting articles (Q&A columns) on the subject of preparing for marriage, choosing the right one to marry, etc.:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5510_qa.html

Look down the left hand sidebar and it links to all of the articles in the section.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
You might also check out Dr. Harley's book "I Promise You" and/or "Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders"

Dr. Harley usually warns people against giving unsolicited advice, and I think he would encourage you to hold off to some extent with an adult child. But he encourages giving a book as an alternative. We just gave a stack of books to a relative who is getting married, and she is thrilled - I hope she will read them. smile

My personal feeling is that it's important to recognize in advance that our grown children are going to make some mistakes and sometimes they are going to have to learn the hard way. You probably know best whether or not your child is going to be open to input or not. Some will insist on not listening.

Things for me to think about - I don't have any adult children yet, but I have seven, with one on the way.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks ML but the link comes back as invalid

Me 58 BS

B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Markos
Thanks and I agree except my son has been talking to me about what to I think and questions like how do you know. Thus the reason of looking for an impartial questionnaire / worksheet that is not coming from Dad but a reliable source.

Me 58 BS

M
M
Originally Posted by bcboyb
Markos
Thanks and I agree except my son has been talking to me about what to I think and questions like how do you know. Thus the reason of looking for an impartial questionnaire / worksheet that is not coming from Dad but a reliable source.

Perfect! If he's asking you, then it's not unsolicited advice when you answer. smile

M
M

I think she meant this:

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068b_qa.html

It's in the list of articles in the section I linked to.

M
M

Sorry about that! Here ya go: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5068b_qa.html

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

J
J
Out of curiosity, did your wifes affair die or is it still ongoing?

B
bcboyb Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Oh my goodness it has been a real roller coaster according to my kids. They are tired of the drama. She has had several attempts of living with him, got engaged to him, then engagement off (we were still married at the time) moved out, then another boyfriend cause number one guy did not meet her needs either, then back to number one, then moved to my daughters temporarily.

While there some guy who had been living with a woman for 14 years fell madly in love with her, she moved in with him for a couple weeks, then that blew up,back to daughters, daughter told her she needs to find her own place, she moves to her own place, and now I hear that they may be engaged again. Whew get all that? This is only what I hear from the frustration expressed by the kids.

I am happy to say, not my circus, not my monkeys, however it does not make me happy that the kids have to be downhill of all this craziness. I'm just glad to be done with it.Some people are bound and determined to create the drama if it does not already exist. I am happy to be on my own away from it all.

Me 58 BS

J
J
Oh my goodness it has been a real roller coaster according to my kids. They are tired of the drama. She has had several attempts of living with him, got engaged to him, then engagement off (we were still married at the time) moved out, then another boyfriend cause number one guy did not meet her needs either, then back to number one, then moved to my daughters temporarily.

While there some guy who had been living with a woman for 14 years fell madly in love with her, she moved in with him for a couple weeks, then that blew up,back to daughters, daughter told her she needs to find her own place, she moves to her own place, and now I hear that they may be engaged again. Whew get all that? This is only what I hear from the frustration expressed by the kids.

I am happy to say, not my circus, not my monkeys, however it does not make me happy that the kids have to be downhill of all this craziness. I'm just glad to be done with it.Some people are bound and determined to create the drama if it does not already exist. I am happy to be on my own away from it all.

That sounds like quite the mess. Add it to the list of affairs that don't last.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation