Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2862642 07/31/15 10:26 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank god for dumpsters and the night. Have been having white rice for meals last several days and have had that with just a few franks cut up and some thrown out containers of rice and some shrimp in the dumpster in back of a Chinese restaurant near here. I managed to get enough money to buy a box of the rice from the store. but didn't have much here to go with it. The people who go there must not eat very much and the portions are usually large so they throw lots out. But I go there late at night and can pretty much forage there. I also found a bottle of some soy sauce that they threw out and kept that too. There were a few other people there one a mom with a couple of kids so I gave them most of the rice I found there and some of the shrimp but I have enough to get by for awhile. It is nutritional from all i have seen and you can use it with almost anything. I am going back there to look in the dumpster on this sunday because after a weekend and I don't think there should be a pick up of the dumpster until money so I am hoping I can find some new food supplies. I don't mind giving some of the food I find to the others there as they need it too. I have worked in food pantries not for quite a few years but I don't anymore but I have seen the need and no one seems to responds. There are a couple of other restaurants that I forage in but it has to be late at night too. I will be having some of the rice and some of the shrimp tomorrow night and maybe some rice and left over hot dogs the next night but after that I will have to find more. I have to say these things because of instead of boasting about all of those recipes that you post here you should be thinking about contributing to food pantries instead

M
M
Originally Posted by Tom2010
I have to say these things because of instead of boasting about all of those recipes that you post here you should be thinking about contributing to food pantries instead

Tom, you should quit lecturing people.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
#2862651 08/01/15 12:18 AM
J
J
For me tonight - black bean soup over white rice. It's nutritional and considering that someone gave me the can of soup it is going to be inexpensive
I'm pretty much at one meal per day so I try to make it the best possible at this time. I've gotten used to hot dogs -esp. if i can afford a can of chili with it and the rice too. I have a couple of the hot dogs left so that will be for Friday night and maybe watch a tv movie after it. I still have some cans of green beans and saving them for later meals.

I've been reading quite abit lately and don't think that you need to have a meal every day to survive. I'm reminded that there are many who don't even have what I have like rice or oher things and can survice for awhile.

Tom

Tom you posted this in 2013.
Since you volunteer in a shelter i dont understand why you need to dig through garbage for food.
i know that you are a very caring man that prays for those on this forum.
Please take care of yourself and eat good food and drink water.

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am still able to get around. I do still work in the food pantries. Those here in IL are in dire need of funds, and in last year they have had to cut off serving after the first ten or so clients because funds and food are not available. There are many times when I have walked home hungry and wishing I have even a cookie or a piece of bread so I don't feel famished and lack of energy for my walk. But there is NOt enough food and those who come there have kids - many very young kids - so I will not take from them. The information of the street is that people know of restaurants and even individual residences where food is thrown out. Many of them on the streets for a few years now. So we raid and divi up just enough for a couple of days. Have seen cops shine lights on groups at the dumpsters or garbage cans at residences before next morning pick ups but they just shine and go on and think they understand. For me most of my funds go to nursing home care for my wife and not much if any left for else. I keep internet and lights but no more - no tv or bus fare so I walk and well there are people worse off.

Tom2010 #2862700 08/01/15 11:36 PM
T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Many of the people I have met and helped forage have a mental illness or disability and I have walked many of them home after searching for food. If they have family members those people seem almost helpless or without funds to do anything for their loved ones and many of the social services here are not shut down due to the stupid budget dispute in this state. Last winter when I worked at the PADS center the police were having to transport sometimes a couple of dozen homeless to the shelter in one night! That was the winter when there was concern about safety and warmth, but PADs centers are not open now until October, so many wander the streets here in the warm weather. Some of them are bad and look to break into homes or restaurants or businesses or try to rob people but most are just good people in need and non-violent and just trying to feed themselves and their kids. You would not believe the loos on their faces when we find almost full meals that someone didn't like or grociers thrown out in back of grocery stores.

J
J
Tom,

Can you ask the welfare department for food stamps?
At a minimum you should be able to cook a large pot of bean soup so you dont eat garbage.
Eggs are also nutritious.

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well, what I was afraid of is my son is now having to stay with me. I'm not afraid of having to help support him now but uncertain of and afraid of the hardship

A
A
Have you seen anyone at Social Services or Welfare benefits lately? Is your wife on Medicare and Medicaid?

Some of us happily pay a lot of taxes so people like you dont go hungry, Tom. Please take advantage of these resources. smile

J
J
Well, what I was afraid of is my son is now having to stay with me. I'm not afraid of having to help support him now but uncertain of and afraid of the hardship

As suggested before, you should visit the welfare department for help.
That way you can get some food stamps and help your son and others without being hungry.

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I was interrupted in starting my post because my son had to empty his car and I had to help. He is now having to stay with me now and probably will for awhile. He has been unemployed for several months, but staying with friends, but his car gave out and he has to junk it now so the reason for emptying it of what he has. My son had suffered from manic-depression for several year as my wife does, and he has not been able to hold a job. I have gone with him to the IL state employment office and have tried to research and suggest to him possible opportunities, but either we are unlucky or the wrong approach but nothing. I have been in the work world for forty years but this is the worst I can imagine. This is scary because it means a hardship now that I never expected. I support my wife who is in a nursing home and there was some funds left over after rent, but now it's going to be very tough. Jedi, I know about the beans - any beans have lots of protein and are good for you along with white rice. I've made a 12-qt pot of beans and white rice and either inexpensive hamburger that I have been able to buy or hamburger that I've found in dumpsters and it lasts awhile and is good and nutritional but now have to plan for many more meals. I started to resent this morning that he landed here but as his dad I Will help him as much as I possibly can. I have contacted several people regarding food stamps and temporary housing etc. on his behalf. I am very familiar with pubic aid here in IL, the process etc. from working as a volunteer and from what I have been told from both the county and state officials who I talked with there is a waiting list of 3 - 6 months, even for infant formulas. The state has suspended Medicare funds, even tho received by the Fed because of lack of matching funds because they are bankrupt. So yea Jedi if I have to become an outlaw now well so be it. I love my son, and we have all had a better life - a middle class like at one time - but I will do whatever it takes. Jedi thanks and you have had it tough too.

J
J
Well its very nice of you to help your son out.
Hang in there.

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Apples, thanks. I've paid taxes too over the last fifty years, and probably those funds have helped support the people that I meet and who you refer to, plus military, roads, etc. My point tonight is not to continue to complain, but to tell you something. And, this is for you too Jedi. I am catholic. So I go to confession - much more now than in the past few years, and the priest today when I went gave me a lecture. What I carried away from this today is that I need to take positive action, and do it with confidence in God despite my worries. This probably sounds silly and simple-minded to many of you, but what it means for me is: 1) to try to get a job to earn some additional funds to try to help myself and my son at this time and not continue to feel sorry for myself or slack off and engage in dumpster food searching, 2) to realize that I need to keep myself intact for my family and not put myself at any risk despite my feelings, 3) to accept that I may have to go without much food for awhile and trust that I have enough to keep me sustained and going, and 4) since I am retired, to use my time to pray more for others, both living and dead. So, it is up to me now to fulfill this.

Even tho I am going through tough times and a rethinking, I cannot imagine the anguish caused by one person to another with infidelity and unwillingness to express remorse and a recommitment. My wife and I, even tho she has been in a nursing home for the last four years, and been faithful to each other and for that I feel thankful. But, I don't believe that any wayward spouse could be so 'fogged' or so addicted that he/she does not really realize immediately what harm and pain they cause the other.

Tom

T
Tom2010 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Apples,

In case you have not heard in the news, the state of IL has suspended all payments for social services with the budget stalemate. That includes federal matching funds for unemployment security, mental health schools, transportation and services for handicapped, etc., as well as services supported by state revenue.

Tom

J
J
I don't believe that any wayward spouse could be so 'fogged' or so addicted that he/she does not really realize immediately what harm and pain they cause the other.

Tom

I agree. I think they just don't care.

A
A
Apples,

In case you have not heard in the news, the state of IL has suspended all payments for social services with the budget stalemate. That includes federal matching funds for unemployment security, mental health schools, transportation and services for handicapped, etc., as well as services supported by state revenue.

Tom

You are right! I don't watch the news. awesome

I'll be praying for you, Tom. Sounds like you have a good game plan.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,116 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation