Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I will be trying to phone the OM's father tomorrow but I don't expect him to answer. I will write him a letter and post it to him with my contact details and ask him to phone me for a chat. I am also going to set up a meeting between my wifes father & the OM'S betrayed wife's parents so he can hear what the POSOM's really like. I am also trying to think of other ways to make OM's life uncomfortable.

I messed up this morning. I had asked my wife to drop my daughter home by 9.30am so I could take her to mass. Last night for the first time since my wife left I had a bit of a blow out and drank a lot at home with my brother & brother in law. It was good to have their company & switch off for a while from the pain of the last few weeks.
Anyway I slept in this morning & my wife came upstairs with my daughter & asked if she should take her away again. I got up straight away & said no, it was fine. There were beer cans in the kitchen & my brother was sleeping on the sofa. I didn't want this to happen or my wife to see this obviously but she did. It won't happen again. I know I fuc**d up. Should I apologise?
I did get up & took my daughter to mass as planned and am fine today but I regret giving my wife that ammo. I should have been whiter than white but for the first time it felt good to talk about something else & have some sense of normality.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
Together 15 years, married 6.
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
M
M
Can you disguise your phone # and call the OM's house when you know he is at work? In the US we can dial *67 and disguise our #.

And no, I wouldn't apologize to your wife, but why are you drinking?? You need your wits about you and you certainly need to be very buttoned up.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Can you disguise your phone # and call the OM's house when you know he is at work? In the US we can dial *67 and disguise our #.

And no, I wouldn't apologize to your wife, but why are you drinking?? You need your wits about you and you certainly need to be very buttoned up.

Thank you Melody, you have been a great help through this. I can withold my number but he might not answer it then as it will say 'number witheld'. I will try that first thing in the morning and if that doesn't work I will write a letter to him asking him to contact me. He is the only person that I can't get to so far and I appreciate that he is key, even if it is just for him to hear the truth of what his son has done.

I just spoke to my wifes father & asked him to meet with the OM's BW's parents so he can get a true sense of what a scumbag OM is and how he has been treating his wife even before all this.
He agreed and told me that he is on my side in this and wants nothing more than a reconciliation for both of us. It was nice to hear that. So I am gonna set this meeting up this week.
It feels good to actually be trying to do something to fix this rather than just enabling the affair.

I am wondering what else I can do to make OM uncomfortable or make things difficult for him. He is a spineless coward & the sooner my wife sees him for that the better.
I don't need police on my case though and I know he has already been to see them. He has nothing on me at all though, I just knocked his door.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
M
M
Originally Posted by sarmaghbhoy1
Thank you Melody, you have been a great help through this. I can withold my number but he might not answer it then as it will say 'number witheld'. I will try that first thing in the morning and if that doesn't work I will write a letter to him asking him to contact me. He is the only person that I can't get to so far and I appreciate that he is key, even if it is just for him to hear the truth of what his son has done.

OR, could you have a friend use their phone to call him and then hand the phone to you when he answers?

I just spoke to my wifes father & asked him to meet with the OM's BW's parents so he can get a true sense of what a scumbag OM is and how he has been treating his wife even before all this.
He agreed and told me that he is on my side in this and wants nothing more than a reconciliation for both of us. It was nice to hear that. So I am gonna set this meeting up this week.

BRAVO!!!! hurray That will be a huge hit on the affair. Be sure and tell your wife's father about the plan your wife had to move him and move you out.

It feels good to actually be trying to do something to fix this rather than just enabling the affair.

It sure does, doesn't it!! You have done a super job!!

I am wondering what else I can do to make OM uncomfortable or make things difficult for him. He is a spineless coward & the sooner my wife sees him for that the better.
I don't need police on my case though and I know he has already been to see them. He has nothing on me at all though, I just knocked his door.

Will your wife's father meet up with this [censored] and tell him to buzz off? That would be an enormous help. This dirtbag will ruin her life and it would help if you and your FIL went over to see the OM and his father together. I bet he won't be so anxious to throw call the police on your FIL!!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Do you live in Ireland now? My great grandfather came from Ireland, county Leitrim. We have relatives there and in County Sligo.

Exposure 101

M
M
It would help if her father would tell the OM that he will never be welcomed into his family and will not be allowed to darken his doorstep. That will throw a huge glitch into fantasy land.

And just think what kind of guy this. He is a married man who has busted up 2 marriages in pursuit of his selfish interests. That is the kind of guy your WW is pursuing.

All of the traits that made the affair possible will make into their relationship: deceit, selfishness, thoughtlessness. This is why 95% of affairs fall apart in under 2 years. Their relationship is doomed from the start. Dr. Harley is a clinical psychologist with 45 years experience and here is what he says about "affairages" on his radio show: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/radio_program/play_segment.cfm?sid=2233

Exposure 101

M
M
I would go to your father in law and tell him what Dr. Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and author of Surviving an Affair says about affair marriages. We have had untold # of troubled affairages show up on this board over the years. They are always a disaster. Please take him that radio clip I posted above and show him this post which was written to an OM who had married his OW:

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley, clinical psychologist and founder of Marriage Builders
My experience, and the experience of other professionals is that about 95% of all affairs either end by one person deciding to end it, or that it dies a natural death. Of the five percent that end in marriage, about 70% of those end in divorce. There are a host of reasons that romantic relationships that start with an affair are so fragile, but the main reason is that they are based on deceit, thoughtlessness, and dishonesty. Those characteristics eventually find themselves permeating the affair itself. They eventually find themselves being deceitful, thoughtless, and dishonest toward each other.

Originally Posted by Dr Bill Harley
I've read through your original question and the responses you've received, and almost to a responder, they are warning you about what happens to relationship that originated as an affair. I have counseled hundreds of these couples and am presently counseling couples that married after an affair, and I can tell you from first-hand experience, and their own unsolicited comments, that if they had put the same effort into their marriages, they would be happily married to their original spouses today.

While it's true that there are happy marriages that start as affairs, they are in the minority. Only about 5% of all affairs end in marriage, and only about 1/3 of those marriages survive the first five years. You probably have one chance in 100 of turning this marriage into a successful relationship, and you're off to a terrible start in spite of your love and commitment.

I have a theory about why marriage after an affair is so unsuccessful, but the fact that they're unsuccessful is well documented. My main contention is that for whatever reasons, those who have affairs tend not to follow one of my cardinal principles for marriage: The Policy of Joint Agreement (never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse). They tend to do what they please without considering each other's feelings. While that may not apply to both members of the relationship, it almost always applies to at least one of them. Your friend's affair with another man in the beginning your your relationship is evidence that she's not thinking about your interests.

I try very hard to keep these marriages together, in spite of the fact that there is such a low probability of success. If I thought I would fail, I wouldn't be wasting my time. And yet, I have had very little success. I keep thinking that I will eventually find a way to succeed.

There are so many obsticles to overcome. In addition to failure to follow the POJA, there is also a marked failure to follow the Policy of Radical Honesty. They tend to be incredibly dishonest, in spite of the fact that they start out thinking they can look right into each other's very souls.

But there is one other issue that is terribly relevant to your situation: Blended families. I read a research report recently that claimed that only 15% of all marriages with children from another relationship survive for 25 years (on average about 50% of all marriages survive for 25 years). Again, from my perspective, the culprit is failure to follow the POJA. Instead of making joint decisions regarding the children, unilateral decisions are made. This ultimately leads to fights and constant turmoil. After the children are grown, however, the conflict does not end. In many cases, advantages continue to be given to children by the natural parent at the expense of the step-parent.

I'm sure that your counselor has been encouraging your wife to negotiate with you so that you can reach a joint agreements regarding her children, but to no avail. And I've experienced the same thing. In spite of a blended family couple's willingness to follow the POJA when I talk to them, when it comes to a decision that will affect the welfare of their children, the commitment is broken.

The advice you have been receiving on the Forum focuses attention on your affair. I've written quite a bit on that topic, and many of the responders have read it. In general, I warn people to avoid an affair because if the very same problems you are facing. And if a vast amount of research and my own professional experience can be trusted, it happens to 99% of those who try to make an affair last.

While it's very unlikely that you will follow my advice because you're in love with "Jane," leaving this relationship, and restoring your relationship with your first wife is the wisest choice. But if you want to know how you can be the 1% that thrives in spite of the obstacles you face, my advice is that you both learn to follow the POJA with every decision you make, including those with the children. If those decisions are made with mutual care, you may be able to figure out how to make the rest of your relationship work.

Best wishes
Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Exposure 101

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Do you live in Ireland now? My great grandfather came from Ireland, county Leitrim. We have relatives there and in County Sligo.

Thanks again Melody for the advice....and everyone else. This really is my goto place for comfort & reassurance. Most people in my life mean well but don't understand what I am going through and why I am fighting for my marriage.

I live in Ireland, yes. In Co Armagh, about 1 hour from Leitrim. I have friends there.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok,

Couldn't get an answer at the OM's fathers house this morning so I wrote a letter to him and if I post it this afternoon, he will have it tomorrow. Best I can do. I hand wrote the letter and added some pics of our family in so he can see what his son is ruining. I printed the address on the envelope so it looks official.

On the meeting of my FIL and the OM's BS's parents, it looks like it will have to be next week as it doesn't suit them both this week. Not ideal, but at least it will happen. The OM's BS is being a real help and a good friend in all this- she has nothing to gain by my wife and I reconciling as she doesn't want to have her WH back ever. She is doing it purely as she wants to see him broken and left on his own after all of this. I can't blame her for that.
My FIL is not willing to meet OM which is a pity. He is on my side but he does have certain loyalties to his daughter after all. Maybe after he meets the other BS's parents, he will change his mind.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
H
H
you can get the post office for a small amount of money to officially deliver the envelope to a particular person. Then the OM father will have to receive the letter and sign a receipt that he got it.

me, DH
all the children
H
H
certified letter is safer than normal post, becaus OM cannot receive the letter for him and throw it in the trash.

me, DH
all the children
Thank you all for your kind words. It's hard to see the positives at the minute. My wife also said last night that she doesn't regret leaving me at all and even if it doesn't work out with this guy she wouldn't come back. It's so cruel. All I ever did in life was my very best for my family, I am a dam good father & husband & have done my best to give them both a beautiful home. I know I shouldn't pay any attention to what she says as it's not real or true.

I was exactly where you are at today 4 years ago after my FWW's A. I am happy to say that our M is recovered now. I know how difficult this is for you. It was the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my life. It is still difficult at times.

There is no quick fix.

Expose is only 1 step in trying to R your M.

What were her primary complaints about you? Why did she fall out of love with you?

Addressing all of these issues and correcting them can influence her over time that she could be happy and in love with you. Right now, she sees no possible way to ever be in love with you.

You have to try to change this perspective.

LB's and HNHN's were truly eye opening to me. They helped me focus on MY choices and gave me insight as to how to be better husband and person. This is what I chose to focus on and it was very empowering to me to really become a much better person. I don't blame my W for falling out of love with me. I had a lot of poor behaviors which I have changed for the better!

Exposure helps to speed up the death of the A. Right now, she isn't in love with you. Your goal should be to ELIMNATE ALL LB's and try to make as many LB deposit as possible.

You can do this.

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Ok, first of all thank you for all of your words of encouragement, they mean a lot and it's great to hear success stories.

Few little bits of encouragement today. Got the letter posted today to OM's dad. OM will be out at work when the post arrives and his father is retired so should get it first hand. I left my details and asked him to call or meet me, whilst also giving him the true version of events.

I have the meeting set up between my FIL & OM'S BS's parents. He really is being a nasty piece of work to his wife & family so it will be good for FIL to hear that.
Also since my exposure & doorstep visit to OM, a lot of his family have turned on him and told him he needs to move out as it affecting his father's health & he should deal with the consequences of his decision!
His BS has told me when he called to collect the children he looked wrecked and gaunt and told her he had had a 'tough week'!
Excellent! Exposure seems to have had the desired effect on them both, despite their outward coolness.
My wife texted me this evening to ask if she could speak to our daughter, she sounded a bit low & sad. I'd say she had had a tough day at work & somebody said something or the shine is coming off the Affair a little! Up until last week everything had been so easy for them.
The other thing that may have happened is that the OM may have told her they need to get a place together. Anywhere she gets won't be local and will mean even less time near home and our daughter. Although it breaks my heart to think of them living together, it may be what's needed to give her a dose of how real life is going to be for her from now on.
Should help to burst the bubble she is in.

So all in all, not a bad day... hopefully my letter to OM's father will put a cherry on it.
After this week, just move on with plan A & work on myself?
I will also study Surviving an affair & His needs, her needs.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
H
H
You might as well empathically ask her if she had a tough day at work, if she sounds low (without mentioning exposure of course).

me, DH
all the children

Exactly! I encourage you to focus on the things within your control. Clean up your side of the fence and try to get her to fall in love with you again.

What are her primary complaints about you and what can you do to not duplicate those behaviors ever again?

What did you do to get her to fall in love with you when you first met?

You cannot control what she does or the choices she makes. You can however focus on your choices. Right now, she does not see you as someone she can be in love with again. Exposure is a great idea to break up the A. But that is only the beginning of this process of R.

Your changes must be genuine and forever. This goes for both of you.

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory

Exactly! I encourage you to focus on the things within your control. Clean up your side of the fence and try to get her to fall in love with you again.

What are her primary complaints about you and what can you do to not duplicate those behaviors ever again?

What did you do to get her to fall in love with you when you first met?

You cannot control what she does or the choices she makes. You can however focus on your choices. Right now, she does not see you as someone she can be in love with again. Exposure is a great idea to break up the A. But that is only the beginning of this process of R.

Your changes must be genuine and forever. This goes for both of you.

She said that I worked too hard, was too focused on trying to achieve perfection in everything I do, rather than appreciating what I had in front of me. Financially, she said I always made the wrong decisions which put us under undue pressure. I guess I was too focused on providing the perfect home for my family and we didn't have enough quality time together, date nights out, cinema etc.

I need to let her see that I have changed for the better and that I can provide a nice home for us while at the same time dedicating time for us as a family.
I genuinely was there for her emotionally and every other way, but she tuned out as soon as she began having this Facebook relationship with her co worker. I longed to talk to her, but she wouldn't give me that chance, he was doing my job.

So yeah, gonna look after myself and try to change for the better and hopefully be there for her when this POSOM slips up.
Thanks for the advice

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
M
M
Anywhere she gets won't be local and will mean even less time near home and our daughter. Although it breaks my heart to think of them living together, it may be what's needed to give her a dose of how real life is going to be for her from now on.
Should help to burst the bubble she is in.

You are absolutely correct. The book you should be reading now is Surviving an Affair. Focus on that and the program it describes for recovery. Look for any opportunity to cause havoc in the affair. You have been doing a great job so far!!!

Take a hard look at the couple Sue and Greg in SAA. You will see what happens when Sue moves in with her OM, Greg. It wrecks their affair. That is why you shouldn't worry about them moving into together. Affairs are not so much fun anymore once the light of day shines on them.

Absolutely! Focus on these 2 areas: a) killing the affair and b) being the most attractive option out there. With all the conflict you caused in the affair, it will start crumbling. And there is a lot of love busting and fighting in affairs!!

Exposure 101

M
M
[I genuinely was there for her emotionally and every other way, but she tuned out as soon as she began having this Facebook relationship with her co worker. I longed to talk to her, but she wouldn't give me that chance, he was doing my job.

So yeah, gonna look after myself and try to change for the better and hopefully be there for her when this POSOM slips up.
Thanks for the advice

Typically, waywards manufacture grievances to justify their affairs, so the best you can do is present yourself as the most attractive option for now and when/if this affair is killed, you will have a chance to create a great marriage. I think you have a great chance at killing this affair.

I want to also point out that if you do reconcile, she will have to quit that job. Recovery will be impossible if she continues to work with the OM. You have no leverage here today, but keep this in mind as you go forward. Read the checklist of extraordinary precautions from Surviving an Affair in order to get an understanding of what needs to happen if you reconcile.

From Surviving an Affair, pg 66-67

The extraordinary precautions do more than end marriage-threatening affairs; they help a couple form the kind of relationship they always wanted.

These recommendations may seem rigid, unnecessarily confining, and even paranoid to those who have not been the victim of infidelity. But people like Sue and Jon, who have suffered unimaginable pain as a result of an affair that spun out of control, can easily see their value. For the inconvenience of following my advice, Sue would have spared herself and Jon the very worst experience of their lives.

Checklist for How Affairs Should End

_____The unfaithful spouse should reveal information about the affair to the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should make a commitment to the betrayed spouse to never see or talk to the lover OP again.

_____The unfaithful spouse should write a letter to the lover OP ending the relationship and send it with the approval of the betrayed spouse.

_____The unfaithful spouse should take extraordinary precautions to guarantee total separation from the lover OP:

_____Block potential communication with the lover OP (change e-mail address and home and cell phone numbers, and close all social networking accounts; have voice messages and mail monitored by the betrayed spouse).

_____Account for time (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a twenty-four-hour daily schedule with locations and telephone numbers).

_____Account for money (betrayed spouse and wayward spouse give each other a complete account of all money spent).

_____Spend leisure time together.

_____Change jobs and relocate if necessary.

_____Avoid overnight separation.

_____Allow technical accountability.

_____ Expose affair to family members, clergy, and/or friends.

Exposure 101

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I want to also point out that if you do reconcile, she will have to quit that job. Recovery will be impossible if she continues to work with the OM. You have no leverage here today, but keep this in mind as you go forward.

I know that and made it clear to her when we spoke the other night. That is a huge sticking point for her as she loves that job, almost to an unhealthy level. There is no way I could have her back knowing she was working in the same place as OM or would encounter him at all. It has to be zero contact as per the guidelines.

She said she was not willing to do that, hopefully that will change at some point. Maybe her workplace atmosphere has been tainted a little by the exposure letters.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
L
L
While you are attacking the affair, you can also Plan A your wife.
When she called feeling blue -- that would have been a great opportunity to invite her over. When she is missing your daughter, invite her over to spend time with her. Let her come help with bathtime, or tuck in. She will resist spending time with you, but it will be hard to resist the little girl!

When you have daughter, invite your wife on outings. Invite her for dinner. Keep inviting, even though she will turn you down. Just be cheerful and keep inviting. Maybe next time!

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 407 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation