Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
R
R
Originally Posted by sarmaghbhoy1
With respect Jedi_Knight, I strongly disagree. This is so far out of her character for her it's unbelievable to anybody who hears it. If I thought for one second this was in any way who she is, I wouldn't be trying so hard to save my marriage.

Granted, it is who she has become, hopefully for only a short while until she sees sense. I know she is very far from innocent in all this and is an adult who made her own choice, but we are all capable of making bad choices.

Selfishness tends to bring out the worst in humans it seems like, it really does not matter what there core believes are. Top that with a addiction and you have a really bad combination.

BH 34
D-Day- 6/2015
Married 4 years
DD 11 and 4
DS 1
Plan A+Exposure

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Lexxxy
Sarma --
This community is filled with success stories - and I predict yours will become one of them. Because you have followed the advice and processes here.

Now the affair will try to feed off of the sacrifices that they have made for each other -- and it will begin to die.
Thank you Lexxxy for your kind words. I don't know why, but I do have a feeling we will work it out eventually and save our marriage. I have nothing to base that on but a gut feeling, but I pray it's right. Despite everything, I love her dearly and I am a lot more calm about the situation since I took control of it last week.
Sure, she is pissed at me right now, but it will pass I'm sure.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
Together 15 years, married 6.
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Prisca
He is not going to give her up easily, but eventually the character flaws that made him groom my wife and abandon his family have to show up in their relationship, don't they??
Yes. laugh
That's one of the beauties of exposure -- it forces the waywards together in a way that rips away the fantasy. Before exposure, they are able to keep their relationship in fantasy land -- all "need meeting" and no demands of life or lovebusters. After exposure, the affair is brought into reality and that fantasy POPS like a bubble.

Thanks Prisca, I sincerely hope this fantasy pops like a bubble soon, but I will put in the work & be prepared for the long haul!

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
SB, your position is very cookie cutter. It is the RULE, not the exception. And I do agree that she has made up her mind... For TODAY. That will change because her decisions are made on her feelings du jour. Feelings change from day to day with an addict. What you have described here is a story we have heard a million times. And while there are no guarantees, we have seen much worse than this come back from the dead.

You are in a FANTASTIC position because there is no logic to her relationship. She won't be accepted in his family and he won't be accepted into her family. She can't bring him to her home. He is not the father of her child, you are. There are just way too many problems in the relationship for it to last. You have the distinct advantage on all fronts. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the show! The affair will start to crumble and you can sit back and continue to present yourself as the best option.

Thank you Melody, your posts have been an inspiration to me to push on with this- I am so glad I took control of things last week by exposing and confronting. I do have a lot of hope we can sort things out and rebuild our marriage- there's nothing I want more and I pray that she will realise what we had. As I said, I have nothing to base this optimism on but a gut feeling, but I will take that right now.

Small update, my wife came over this evening with our daughter- she was quiet and seemed pissed, she had probably heard all about the letter to OM's father and the family meeting.
I tried to be nice to her without being overbearing, asked about her car- she had car trouble today... at some point she will open up a little to me, I will keep plugging away.

Oh, and she wasn't wearing make up to work either (something she had been doing only for the past month or so). She looked tired also.

Whatever I have done, it certainly has taken the wind out of her sails a little, she is no longer in this state of 'euphoria' like a teenager in love, something she had been at pains to express before exposure, that she was 'so happy'!

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
M
M
[
I do have a lot of hope we can sort things out and rebuild our marriage- there's nothing I want more and I pray that she will realise what we had. As I said, I have nothing to base this optimism on but a gut feeling, but I will take that right now.

I have great optimism for your situation and I have seen hundreds of cases over the past 14 years. Her affair is spiraling down. Did you get the book Surviving an Affair? You need to read the case study of Sue and Jon. That book is the bible of recovery.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yep, I do have Surviving an affair & His needs, her needs. My bedtime reading! Thanks.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
2 questions.

1. Do I stop mentioning anything about recovering our relationship until my wife mentions it? I have already been clear with her about my feelings, both in letters and in person.

2. Financial and legal. I can pay our mortgage and bills on my own, it will be tough, but I can do it. Alternatively, I can seek help with the mortgage etc from the government- I would be entitled to benefits and mortgage relief, but this may require me to declare a legal separation from my wife and she would obviously be contacted about that.

Should I hold off on that until plan B time?

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
J
J
1. You should communicate that you are willing to work with her in building a romantic marriage but she must first end her affair. Typically a good time to do this is when she starts talking about how she loves om, your marriage is over etc.

2. Dr. Harley would encourage you to take appropriate legal steps to protect assets during her affair. As for separation, the problem with legal separation is that the cheater views it as a Cheat Pass and further justification for the affair. Also, in plan A the wife should not be forced out of the marital home.

M
M
2 questions.

1. Do I stop mentioning anything about recovering our relationship until my wife mentions it? I have already been clear with her about my feelings, both in letters and in person.

I would mention it fairly often. Tell her how much her affair hurts you and ask her to end it. You don't want her to think you don't care.

2. Financial and legal. I can pay our mortgage and bills on my own, it will be tough, but I can do it. Alternatively, I can seek help with the mortgage etc from the government- I would be entitled to benefits and mortgage relief, but this may require me to declare a legal separation from my wife and she would obviously be contacted about that.

Should I hold off on that until plan B time?

I wouldn't file for a separation at this point because that will send the wrong message. Instead, I would send her a nice email asking her to pay her part of the mortgage and the bills.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

2 questions.

I chose to limit any heavy relationship talk with my FWW about anything while she was in the fog. It does no good. You have already seen this. I would not ask her for a single thing right now. (except for financial things you deem necessary)

When you see her, if you look great, act happy and upbeat she will be more willing to potentially be around you. If she anticipates heavy conversation, constantly telling her you love her, asking her to come home, telling her what she is doing wrong in her life...on and on... it will be a massive turnoff.

Keep active. Plan fun activities with your daughter. Invite WW to join in!

Having a warm environment by showing her what she is missing out on (NOT telling her), will plant seeds in her mind.

Have you really identified those things she did not like about your relationship. Are you showing her when you are around her that you have changed. Have you changed? I hope you are reading LB's and looking in the mirror.

Last edited by 20YearHistory; 08/20/15 08:35 AM.
Most importantly, I hope you realize how sensitive she is to pressure about anything relationship related.

She is sensitive to even the slightest hint of pressure and will push her away.

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your answers. She absolutely knows I want her back to work on our marriage, so I will maybe not push it for a while.

Small update, wife was here this evening dropping our daughter home, I was home before her and was clean and out of my work clothes. Our golden retriever is 3 today so I had a small cake for him (for our daughter's benefit really), my daughter blew out the candle and my wife stayed for 10 mins or so. I was as upbeat as I could be and smiled at her.

She wants to arrange sharing care of our daughter in September when she starts primary school 5 days a week. We are going to sit down some evening to do that when our daughter is in bed.
It will be a different schedule than now as she is only in school 2 days a week at the minute.
We will have to spend an hour or 2 doing that so it will be good to interact, even if it's a trivial task!

I also mentioned that I want to take our daughter to Disneyland in January for 4 nights (my brother & his family invited us to travel with them). My wife was upset at that, but I asked her if it was any different than last week when she was away for 4 nights with her.

Amicable but nothing encouraging would be how I would surmise her visit.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
H
H
Maybe you can invite her along?

me, DH
all the children
S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Would absolutely love her to be there Happyheart, but I already know the answer sadly. Maybe I should drop her a text & say we would love her there if she wanted to come?

Too desperate?

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
P
P
Would absolutely love her to be there Happyheart, but I already know the answer sadly. Maybe I should drop her a text & say we would love her there if she wanted to come?

Too desperate?

It's not desperate, it's Plan A. She needs to know that you would like her to be around.

You know the answer, but ask anyway. Then drop it and don't push her or beg her.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
My wife was upset at that, but I asked her if it was any different than last week when she was away for 4 nights with her.
This is a debate and a lovebuster. Do not engage in conversations like this. She's upset, and that's okay. Don't debate her or compare her actions to yours.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Understood Prisca. Wife has gone to visit OM as her car has gone from her parents. Not going to text her tonight when she is with him, but will text her something in the morning saying that we would love to have her with us in Janurary.
Already know there will be no reply, but hey ho.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
P
P
Good.

The point is not her reply and whether she says yes or no.

The point is that she will remember that you invited her, and wanted her. This will make it difficult for her to continue feeding herself the lie that you are some kind of uncaring monster and she is justified finding happiness elsewhere.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

S
sarma Offline OP
OP Offline
S
So, found out my wife and OM are spending the night in a Hotel. Tough evening for me. Sent her a text anyway, saying that my daughter & I would love her to come with us in Janurary, that option is there for her.
Dont expect a reply of any sort. This is a tough road.

Me- BH 36
WW -33
DD4
DDay- 4th July 2015
Exposure & Plan A
J
J
I just wanted to say hang in there, it takes time and now is the time to stay on track and patient with your Plan A, you won't think it's working but it is.
Try to remember right now this isn't the woman you married she is deep in the fog, but like all wayward spouses it goes away in time and reality starts to show it's ugly head.
This is your best shot at keeping your family together, it's a short period of time in the big picture, you have great help here, let them walk you through it and keep you strong��
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you

BW 56
WH 57
Married 25 years, live together for 2, dated 2 years before that.....
DS 23, DS 25
D-Day Nov 23/09
NC Mar 1/10
Working on Recovery
Grateful for finding Marriage Builders
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 788 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
daveamec, janyline, Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya
71,833 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation