Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2873326 12/26/15 08:06 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Upon agreeing we need outside help if our marriage is to be sustainable my husband and I recently completed the Emotional Needs and Love Busters questionnaires. It is now time for us to discuss the information with each other. Both of us are concerned about this opening a can of worms and are looking for the right approach to take going forward. Thus far we are deriving guidance from the following. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT HOW TO NAVIGATE THIS JOURNEY WE ARE ABOUT TO HEAD OUT ON?
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/mb.cfm/4/32/302

Last edited by Toujours; 12/26/15 08:31 PM.
C
C
You could start by reading Lovebusters out loud to each other and discussing each chapter with a focus on learning and not complaining quite yet. You could share questionnaires or redo them after reading the book. You could also listen to Marriage Builers radio together for a little while and discuss. You can listen together in the car or during UA time.

Are you spending 20 hours a week of undivided attention time together every week? Couples that spend many enjoyable hours together are more receptive to each other's complaints and are better at complaining effectively.

K
K
**EDIT**

Last edited by Denali; 12/27/15 11:37 AM. Reason: TOS non MB material
P
P
Originally Posted by newviewmarriage
Upon agreeing we need outside help if our marriage is to be sustainable my husband and I recently completed the Emotional Needs and Love Busters questionnaires. It is now time for us to discuss the information with each other. Both of us are concerned about this opening a can of worms and are looking for the right approach to take going forward. Thus far we are deriving guidance from the following. DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT HOW TO NAVIGATE THIS JOURNEY WE ARE ABOUT TO HEAD OUT ON?
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi3350_guide.html
http://www.marriagebuilders.com/mb.cfm/4/32/302

You should share the LBQ with each other, but you need to be careful how you do it. Here is a good post that lays out the steps (these were the same directions given to me and markos when we discussed this with Steve Harley):

Originally Posted by CWMI
Since the last time you did the questionnaires did not go so well, how would you and he feel about a re-do? You could even take it really, really slow...like read about one of the ENs together, have a brief conversation about each of your understandings of what you read (both here and in HNHN) (and no correcting each other's interpretation, this is a dicovery discussion, not a lecture), and then fill out that one page of the questionnaire. Put it aside until you've gone through all ten. Maybe do two or three of them a week. Reading and discussing would be part of UA time, too!

Once you've finished the whole set and ranked them, the proper way to share them is to sit down and take turns reading your responses to each other. Start with the #1 ranked need, and the person starting would say, "My top need is (affection). I have a great need for affection. I would like for you to be affectionate with me twice a day. I am very unhappy when you are not affectionate with me that often. I ranked my satisfaction as a -2. While you don't give me enough affection, I like the way you do it when you do. I would be better satisfied with affection if you would hug and kiss me every time one of us leaves the house or comes home. I also would like it if you would hold my hand in public. I really like it when you play with my hair. etc."

After the first person speaks, the other reads his/her top need.

The other person ONLY LISTENS and TAKES NOTES. Clarifying questions are allowed (Do you mean constantly holding hands in public, or would you be happy if it was only while walking somewhere, like from the car to a restaurant, or while browsing in a store?), but arguing the other person's need is forbidden, as well as a refusal to meet it in that way. Time will show that. Ideally, a negotiation should take place at a future time if a need is not or can not be met in a certain way. For instance, my H does have a high need for DS (it is no longer at the top, though, thank goodness) and we eventually negotiated to purchase a roomba to meet his need for daily vacuuming.

There should be nothing negative in the 'how your need could be better satisfied' section.

I will add that in sharing the LBQ, it is even more essential that the listening spouse does not question or argue with what the other spouse is saying. The LBQ can open up very sensitive subjects, and if you're not careful, can lead to fights. Agree to listen to each other without debates.

If either of you are confused with what is shared on the LBQ, bring it here and we'll be happy to discuss it with you and help you figure it out.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Some things to keep in mind:
1. You don't have to say everything that comes to mind -- It is harder to lovebust if you keep your mouth shut. So when your spouse is sharing, just take notes. Don't respond.

2. Remember, this is not about what is right or wrong -- it's all about finding out what your spouse's perspective is. This is what he/she feels, and dismissing or debating it is only shooting yourself in the foot. You need the information that is being shared. If you don't understand WHY your spouse has shared what he/she has shared, ask someone else. Those of us on this forum, or Dr. Harley himself, are more than willing to help you understand.

3. Don't view your spouse as the enemy. You are on the same side: your marriage. You are working together to make it better. Your enemies are the lovebusters and neglect that have plagued your marriage, and you're now on the same team working together to rid yourselves of those. So when your spouse tells you something that you've done that they find hurtful, they are not attacking you. They are helping you to make your marriage better.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 700 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation