Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
I
OP Offline
I
I realize I have been breaking the promise of exclusivity in the last 5 years, but my wife's promise to care was broken years before that and has carried on for many years.

M
M
Originally Posted by Indianajordan
I realize I have been breaking the promise of exclusivity in the last 5 years, but my wife's promise to care was broken years before that and has carried on for many years.

I hate to get all psychobabbly, but this really sounds like "enmeshment." Can we talk about one person's failings without talking about the other person's failings? It doesn't matter why. What matters is that nearly 100% of women hurt terribly from something like this.

This is like saying "My marriage had a broken leg, so in response I broke both of its arms, the other leg, and shot it in the chest." If one person makes a mistake, the other person doesn't make it better by bringing in additional mistakes. "My wife has a cigarette addiction, so in response I took up heroin."

I'm betting your wedding vows didn't include anything about weight but did include the phrase "forsaking all others."

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Marriages don't get better unless you start correcting the problems, one by one, and in the right order. Dragging in another problem in defense just makes the whole thing unsolvable.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
Do you know what Dr. Harley says about the contrast effect?

I
OP Offline
I
I have read all of the articles and links. I did give up the DVD player and have resolved to stop all angry outbursts. That is my part, I am not ignoring it. But what about her show of good faith in meeting my emotional need for an attractive spouse? She is neglecting my need. Yes I know about the contrast effect.

M
M
We were apart, and she lost weight. So separating is a way of breaking the grip of this long-term independent behavior. For some reason she seems to be able to lose weight when we are apart. The reason for separating is: it worked last time.

You have no reason to separate. I lost weight when my H and I were separated too, because I was emotionally devastated. That is not healthy.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M

Two wrongs don't make a right. That kind of thinking will harm your marriage, not help it.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

I
OP Offline
I
I agree and realize two wrongs don't make a right. I am owning my part in the increase in problems and have remedied my part. The problem is that my wife has been overweight for many years, and I have told her how much this hurts me many times. I didn't always communicate it well, but am trying to do it better now. I need her to care about me in this way. If she can't or won't, what am I supposed to do?

M
M
I agree and realize two wrongs don't make a right. I am owning my part in the increase in problems and have remedied my part. The problem is that my wife has been overweight for many years, and I have told her how much this hurts me many times. I didn't always communicate it well, but am trying to do it better now. I need her to care about me in this way. If she can't or won't, what am I supposed to do?

Her being overweight does not "hurt" you. Let's stop with the drama. And you don't "own it" when you use her failure to meet this need as an excuse for your poor behavior. Much of the behavior on your side has hurt her terribly. It just impacts your desire. I would put aside your punishment approach and try something new. You will never motivate anyone to meet your needs by punishing her.

Exposure 101

M
M
I have read all of the articles and links. I did give up the DVD player and have resolved to stop all angry outbursts. That is my part, I am not ignoring it. But what about her show of good faith in meeting my emotional need for an attractive spouse? She is neglecting my need. Yes I know about the contrast effect.

So what does Dr. Harley say about the contrast effect?

M
M
At this point, I wouldn't expect a show of good faith from her. You've probably devastated her. If you make enough love bank deposits to get her to fall in love with you again, she might become willing to meet your need. Without that, she never will.

Which is what I said earlier:

Originally Posted by markos
Here's another article from Dr. Harley you should read:

First I fix the relationship, and nine times out of ten, sexual problems disappear

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5013_qa.html

I think this would be worth following in your situation. Is your wife in love with you? Definitely not - she clearly hates you! Follow the plan to get your wife to fall in love with you and THEN see how willing she is to lose weight for you.

By the way, the number one cause of depression for women is their relationship with their husband or boyfriend. It's clear her relationship with you is not happy for her, which could easily cause depression, which could easily cause weight gain. Women certainly find it much easier to lose weight when they are not depressed!

P
P
and have remedied my part.
No, you haven't.
Have you read Lovebusters?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Did you see this?

I suggest you show your wife this program, and apologize to her. Explain to her that you understand that you have been disrespectful to her all these years, and have caused her great pain. Explain that you are going to use this program to learn how to care for her, and that you are committed to never having another angry outburst or disrespectful judgement toward her again. Invite her to hold you accountable on this.

And then follow the program and cause your wife to fall back in love with you. She will be more motivated to have sex with you and to lose weight when you have done so.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

I
OP Offline
I
I have read Love Busters and have implemented the program. Sex is not directly the issue, but my need for an attractive spouse is, which affects sexual arousal. It becomes more difficult to have sex with someone who is not physically attractive to me. I am not aroused by her visually. This is extremely important to me. It definitely does hurt me and thus our relationship. Harley talks about separating for emotional abuse and this feels like abuse to me. I understand now that he does not recommend that for men.

I
OP Offline
I
I do feel hurt. I have a pain in my stomach that started when my wife gained the weight back. How can you say there is no hurt going on here?

P
P
I have read Love Busters and have implemented the program.
But not all of it. You still have quite a bit of learning to do. You are still very disrespectful of your wife, and it's going to take quite a while to fill her lovebank back up. But you must get her to fall back in love with you before she will be willing to lose weight for you.

Harley talks about separating for emotional abuse and this feels like abuse to me.
Abuse is something that is done TO you, not the absence of emotional need meeting.

She is not abusing you by not losing weight. It may be something you desire, but is it not abuse just because it hasn't happened.

Abuse is the disrespect and anger you have shown her through the years over the subject. It is something you have DONE to her. Abuse is the demand that she lose weight or you will separate.

There's nothing wrong with a man wanting an attractive wife. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a man wanting his wife to lose weight. But when you start to get demanding, disrespectful and angry about it, THEN there's something wrong. I have 8 kids, and a lot of leftover pregnancy weight. My husband wants me to lose weight, too. And I'm gladly doing it -- but I wouldn't be if he treated me the way you have treated your wife over it for years.

So you might want to pay special attention to markos posts to you -- he's got a wife who's gladly jumping through hoops to lose weight for him.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P

So what does Dr. Harley say about the contrast effect?

Could you answer this?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

P
P
How many dates have you taken your wife out on this week? How many hours alone with her do you get every week? Doing what?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

M
M
Harley talks about separating for emotional abuse and this feels like abuse to me. I understand now that he does not recommend that for men.

That is silly. Abuse is something that is done TO YOU. Not meeting your need for PA is *not* abuse. It doesn't help the situation to dramatize the problem. We can help you get what you want without the drama.

Exposure 101

M
M
Okay, here's my third time to post this. Hoping you will read it, respond to it, and do it:

At this point, I wouldn't expect a show of good faith from her. You've probably devastated her. If you make enough love bank deposits to get her to fall in love with you again, she might become willing to meet your need. Without that, she never will.

Which is what I said earlier:

Here's another article from Dr. Harley you should read:

First I fix the relationship, and nine times out of ten, sexual problems disappear

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5013_qa.html

I think this would be worth following in your situation. Is your wife in love with you? Definitely not - she clearly hates you! Follow the plan to get your wife to fall in love with you and THEN see how willing she is to lose weight for you.

By the way, the number one cause of depression for women is their relationship with their husband or boyfriend. It's clear her relationship with you is not happy for her, which could easily cause depression, which could easily cause weight gain. Women certainly find it much easier to lose weight when they are not depressed!

If you want to get your needs met in marriage, this is what you'll need to do. Do you want to do this? I'll be happy to help you. If you don't want to do this, I'll find better ways to spend my time.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 978 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation