Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Not today but he will come see my son tomorrow .

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Why not a legal separation?

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
The letter is pretty much identical to the on line version. I'm afraid since he knows I'm talking to Steve he could read a post and recognize the letter.

I don't have an intermediary yet. Who is typically used? A family member?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
His only family Is one sister. He told her he had a nervous breakdown over the loss of the ow so she said he should go with her then if she means that much

She told you this herself?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
Not today but he will come see my son tomorrow .

How long will he be there?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
Why not a legal separation?

A divorce is much more effective because you will be divorced at the end if he doesn't meet your conditions. That is the ideal outcome if he does not. If he does meet your conditions you can just drop it. If you just file separation, you will have to start all over if you need to divorce him.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Yes, she told me this herself.

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
He will probably be here two days but I never know. He comes and goes as he pleases. Maybe next weekend too

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
The letter is pretty much identical to the on line version.

WHAT online version? Can you post it? I need to see that you didn't leave any openings.

You need to also designate your IM in the letter, tell him what you expect from him financially and communicate your visitation plan. Since you have a high schooler, he can probably just contact the child directly to make arrangements.

Quote
I don't have an intermediary yet. Who is typically used? A family member?

Typically a friend is best. One who can agree to remain neutral and who will act as a SPAM filter. She would only pass on necessary financial/legal information and will not argue, lecture or pass on fogbabble to you. Do you have a female friend that has some balls?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
He said he wants to separate but he also wants to buy the house. He wants to go work in it and after a few months maybe reevaluate if we should be together. If not he wants me to live there and he will get something else

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
He will probably be here two days but I never know. He comes and goes as he pleases. Maybe next weekend too

That will work out in your favor. You can send him the letter AFTER he leaves and change the locks. OR you could slip the letter in his suitcase and text him after he leaves telling him it is there.

You will also need to block him from contacting you. For example, you can block his # on your phones and change your email address or block him. Try to anticipate every way he would try to reach you and block it off.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Yes I have a friend I could ask

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
Yes I have a friend I could ask

Good! Go read this: Plan B

And ask your friend to read this: Intermediary Training School


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Ok but I am still trying to give him a chance to end the relationship with the OW. Isn't that rushing it?

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,197
U
Member
Member
U Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by Bristol
They've been having an affair for years and he brings her every time he switched jobs. A year ago I discovered and he announced he was leaving me but could not bring himself to do it.

Bristol, you have given your WH MORE than enough time to end the affair.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
Ok but I am still trying to give him a chance to end the relationship with the OW. Isn't that rushing it?

He will have that chance in your Plan B. If he ends his affair and meets your conditions he can come back.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
Ok but I am still trying to give him a chance to end the relationship with the OW. Isn't that rushing it?

You gave him a chance to end his affair and he chose the OW. Time to wake your butt up, hun.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
know I am at fault for so very much. I am truly sorry for my part in making an environment between us that helped lead to your affair. I wasn�t focused on the right things for you and for us, and I wasn�t paying attention to or understanding how I as your partner wasn�t fulfilling your needs. I wasn�t there for you when you needed me the most and now we�re both suffering for my mistake. I will do whatever it takes to learn from the mistakes I�ve made in the past, understand where I fell short and what I�m doing to hurt our relationship, and create a new life for both of us that will meet your most important needs. I want more than anything to give you the absolute best, most loving, caring environment that has your complete happiness all over it, but that�s not possible until you end your relationship.
This affair has been the most painful experience of my life and I can�t bear to continue to live like this anymore. Until it ends and you�re willing to help rebuild our relationship in a way we both want, I unfortunately need to step back and avoid any contact. I have been suffering so much because of your relationship, and I think you have seen the effect it�s had on me. I haven�t dealt well with this at all. I just can�t be with you any longer knowing that you are seeing each other. I still love you but can�t see you while this continues.
As soon as you are willing to put an end to that and join me in recreating a new relationship with me, I will be willing to talk about our future together. I so wanted to do that with you in our new home. Please understand that I want to preserve what�s between us, and hope we will be able to rebuild our marriage. I want us to be able to take care of each other and avoid doing things that hurt each other. I know we can build a new life together in a way that makes us both so happy. Nothing is more important to me than understanding that and getting it right. Then, there will never again be a reason for us to want anything else or to be separated like this. I want to be your best friend and lover, someone who is always there for you when you need me, and I want that from you too. I have cared for you for our entire lives including the day we married, and I still do. I would like nothing better than to take the absolute best care of you. But it is not possible for me to help you as long as you are in this relationship.

Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
He hasn't left for her. He's still conflicted and going back and forth between us

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Bristol
He hasn't left for her. He's still conflicted and going back and forth between us

He has chosen you BOTH. He is not "conflicted." YOU ARE.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 479 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Countfunkula, mollye14, Pansu, sakyt, George Mixflicke
72,372 Registered Users
Latest Posts
What happens if we both have developed aversions?
by Samuel Connely - 10/03/26 02:12 PM
Separated/Dating
by mark_foster - 09/20/26 04:14 PM
Separation
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:24 PM
beverage sizes in large office
by elambush - 09/04/26 11:22 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics133,659
Posts2,323,617
Members72,372
Most Online9,682
May 13th, 2026
deneme bonusu
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2025, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0